PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Dinan Throttle Body E46 330i

trancenation
08-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Hi Folks, Wanted to see if anyone had a Dinan Throttle Body for an E46 330i for sale? Good or better condition preferred. New is also ok.

Please message me with what you have. Thanks!

ZHPizza
08-05-2020, 02:05 PM
If you're specifically after the Dinan, then I can't help you there, but if you're after a big bore throttle body, I have some in the garage. I haven't listed them for sale yet because I haven't tested them in my car and don't want to risk shipping bad product.

RUS_ZHP
08-05-2020, 02:36 PM
If you're specifically after the Dinan, then I can't help you there, but if you're after a big bore throttle body, I have some in the garage. I haven't listed them for sale yet because I haven't tested them in my car and don't want to risk shipping bad product.Pizza man is cooking something in his garage and I would love to learn more about those throttle bodies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

t.er
08-05-2020, 03:56 PM
If you're specifically after the Dinan, then I can't help you there, but if you're after a big bore throttle body, I have some in the garage. I haven't listed them for sale yet because I haven't tested them in my car and don't want to risk shipping bad product.

sounds like Mr. Dremel was involved

BMWCurves
08-05-2020, 08:49 PM

Reverse bondo

trancenation
08-05-2020, 10:36 PM

I might be interested, in for more details.

ZHPizza
08-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Pizza man is cooking something in his garage and I would love to learn more about those throttle bodies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reverse bondo

Lmao yeah anything that gets fabricated in Pizza's Garage would have too much liability to distribute to the general public -- I assume sole risk of my Frankenstein contraptions turning on me.

I might be interested, in for more details.

STORY TIME

First of all, you should know that I AM A SLUT for throttle response. I'll do anything to make the engine react quicker to input (short ram intake gang, shark tune gang). I found a handful of firsthand reviews saying that a big bore throttle body made a noticeable improvement in throttle response and 5-10hp/tq depending on associated mods (intake, headers, exhaust, etc).

So I went looking for a BBTB and found the options on the market uhh less than ideal (see: priced out the wazoo), but I knew that I didn't have the tools or knowledge to make one myself. I do a lot of work with machine shops so I found a guy that had been doing head and throttle body work for years and even had a few happy customers that paid him to make one for their M54B30. The cost for him to set up and machine a single TB was absurd, so we spent a lot of time hashing out a quantity that (1) wouldn't take forever to acquire cores for, (2) would make it worth his time to set up and run on his machines, and (3) would bring the cost low enough that my wife wouldn't leave me after this adventure. I was hoping to to be able to sell them for a reasonable price, with no core charge, and cover my investment + the cost of the one that I keep.

TL,DR: I bought 15 BBTB's hoping I could sell them for like $250-300

**Aside: Is anyone else at the point in life where you've gotten so busy that you have more money for projects than time to work on them? Like, my dumbass went and spent thousands of dollars for a box of parts that I left sitting on a shelf in the garage, only to think of it when I saw this thread. Cripes.

***Edit: I just read that again and it kind of sounds like a douchey flex. No, I don't have piles of money sitting around to blow on a car (see: driving a 15 year old car), but I like to give myself a monthly parts allowance and save up for a bit and buy cool shit so I can put it in the corner of the garage and never install it because I'm always working to make enough money to pay my bills and still buy car parts oh shit it's a cycle. I think this was a big bonus+tax return purchase that I figured I would recoup in a few weeks lol

ZHPizza
08-06-2020, 01:17 PM
I'll post comparison pics later, but here's the only BBTB options for our cars that had me frustrated enough to have 15 made

Stock
Diameter: 68mm
- standard butterfly
- total nerd
- not even engraved

Dinan (https://www.dinancars.com/products/engine-hardware/throttle-bodies/parts/D760-3300A)
Diameter: 71mm (9% more area over stock)
- standard butterfly
- definitely the prettiest of the bunch -- look at that engraved D!
- at that price I assume they use a brand new VDO TB
- if not then holy shit what a robbery
Pricing: $899.95, free shipping, $65.25 sales tax [for me]
Total = $965 lmao wtf

Riot Racing (https://westcoastriots.com/product/m54b3-0-engine-big-bore-throttle-body-bmw-p-n-13547502445/)
Diameter: 72mm (12% more area over stock)
- single sided butterfly bar looks cool
- flowbead blasted finish (dull gray aluminum)
Pricing: $400 + $20 shipping + $100 core
Total = $520/$440 after core exchange (assume $20 to ship your core back)

Pizza's Garage
Diameter: 72mm (12% more area over stock)
- standard butterfly (I don't see a real benefit to the single side so it would just add unnecessary cost and potential failure points to the part)
- used part finish (again don't want to add superfluous cost for a part that is completely hidden)
- new milled throttle plate! (lol of course it's a new plate they all have new plates)
- no engraving on the throttle plate (I mean for $15 I can bust out my engraver and scribble something on the throttle plate if you want to feel like you have something special. I'll promise you some sweet logo, but it's gonna be a dick....It's always a dick.)
- no core charge. I don't want it. Keep your stock TB so you can swap it back when you have a vacuum leak and try to blame it on Pizza's BBTB
Pricing: I think $250 was my breakeven and $300 was where I actually made a little profit but y'all caught me in a pinch where I don't have my notes in front of me so I gotta dig up my receipts and figure this out (furiously pretending like I have notes rn)
Total = $lessthantheotherdudes

I was planning to install one this spring after I finished my headers+exhaust build and then get a back-to-back dyno comparing stock/bored so that I could post it on the internet and have a bunch of crotchety dweebs tell me it's fake and BBTB's don't do anything and there must have been a mosquito on the intake in the first one whatever

So since my car is still incapacitated because I can't finish a project, I'll make a deal with anyone that wants to try it out and share their thoughts and feelings (mega-fricken-deal if you do a before/after dyno and have intake+headers+exhaust so it looks real good)

Notaniroc
08-06-2020, 02:01 PM
I may be interested! No before dyno... but I am planning on having it dyno tuned at Tuning Tech FS sometime in the nearish future.

Mods:
CAI down to the bumper with a 6" cone and velocity stack
Ebay headers
3" full exhaust with two resonators and a vibrant muffler (all straight through style)
3.38 diff - soon to be 3.64
Apex 17x9 with 245/40 (should make a slight dyno difference in tq at least due to less rotating mass and shorter ratio vs stock)

Also full disclosure it is a base 330ci non-ZHP

t.er
08-06-2020, 02:27 PM
Hmmm Pizzaman, now you have me thinking... maybe I should pick up a junkyard TB to experiment on. I have access to a machine shop on campus, shouldn't be too hard to bore out the TB on the mill. And get a new plate either waterjet, or CNC milled. Only difficult thing would be setting the gap between the plate and the bore such that when it's closed, you have a similar enough pressure drop to stock such that the IACV has no problems maintaining idle

BMWCurves
08-06-2020, 03:19 PM
Stock
Diameter: 68mm
- standard butterfly
- total nerd
- not even engraved

First, I feel personally attacked. You callin' my untattoo-ed, nerdy ass a standard butterfly? Ya basic.

Second, I won't be a guinea pig, but I'll be a lemming and follow people into abyss once it's been beta-tested.

johnrando
08-06-2020, 03:48 PM
Wsmeyer has an NLA BB TB in his ZHP, sold in small qtys by an individual who no longer makes them. Not sure the diameter, just wanted to complete your list of aftermarket TBs out there.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
08-06-2020, 07:40 PM
I may be interested! No before dyno... but I am planning on having it dyno tuned at Tuning Tech FS sometime in the nearish future.

Mods:
CAI down to the bumper with a 6" cone and velocity stack
Ebay headers
3" full exhaust with two resonators and a vibrant muffler (all straight through style)
3.38 diff - soon to be 3.64
Apex 17x9 with 245/40 (should make a slight dyno difference in tq at least due to less rotating mass and shorter ratio vs stock)

Also full disclosure it is a base 330ci non-ZHP

Hey that sounds like a great setup! It would obviously help if you had zhp cams but I think you'll still be happy based on what other 330 owners have said. I was also planning to dyno tune at the same time and was going to pre-strip what I could from the engine bay to make it a quick swap (unfortunately not much). I figured I could explain what I wanted to do with the tuner and he could provide some suggestions on order of operations.

Hmmm Pizzaman, now you have me thinking... maybe I should pick up a junkyard TB to experiment on. I have access to a machine shop on campus, shouldn't be too hard to bore out the TB on the mill. And get a new plate either waterjet, or CNC milled. Only difficult thing would be setting the gap between the plate and the bore such that when it's closed, you have a similar enough pressure drop to stock such that the IACV has no problems maintaining idle

Heck yeah tear it up! I have some videos of the process that I can send you. He used some special tools that I didn't recognize from my time around standard milling equipment. PM me and we'll work down this path of destruction together!

First, I feel personally attacked. You callin' my untattoo-ed, nerdy ass a standard butterfly? Ya basic.

Second, I won't be a guinea pig, but I'll be a lemming and follow people into abyss once it's been beta-tested.

Damn you always notice when I'm low-key calling you out...

Wsmeyer has an NLA BB TB in his ZHP, sold in small qtys by an individual who no longer makes them. Not sure the diameter, just wanted to complete your list of aftermarket TBs out there.

Oh yeah! I came across those in my research and was sad that he only made a few. Poor guy sounded like he really knew his stuff and wanted to make a cool part but the naysayer cretins just kept piling on. The Dinan and Riot parts are the only two that you can still purchase, so that's all I had to compare to for current options.

johnrando
08-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Hey that sounds like a great setup! It would obviously help if you had zhp cams but I think you'll still be happy based on what other 330 owners have said. I was also planning to dyno tune at the same time and was going to pre-strip what I could from the engine bay to make it a quick swap (unfortunately not much). I figured I could explain what I wanted to do with the tuner and he could provide some suggestions on order of operations.

Heck yeah tear it up! I have some videos of the process that I can send you. He used some special tools that I didn't recognize from my time around standard milling equipment. PM me and we'll work down this path of destruction together!

Damn you always notice when I'm low-key calling you out...

Oh yeah! I came across those in my research and was sad that he only made a few. Poor guy sounded like he really knew his stuff and wanted to make a cool part but the naysayer cretins just kept piling on. The Dinan and Riot parts are the only two that you can still purchase, so that's all I had to compare to for current options.Yup. GLW ur search/decision.

ZHP_Brandon
08-11-2020, 05:28 AM
Has anyone reached out for Pizza TB? I may be interested, I only have a GruppeM intake but I’d like some more throttle response as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
08-11-2020, 05:37 AM
Has anyone reached out for Pizza TB? I may be interested, I only have a GruppeM intake but I’d like some more throttle response as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm right here bby....

I haven't had a chance to pull my stock TB out for comparison but I did grab some pics of one of the big bore bois:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/36d0c23472ae44cedac12cdf987cbb26.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/ae88266dc5357e82879c24e5de122343.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/1d95df7819e6379d5d94fd82d5edff9e.jpg

I just got laid off so should have some [plenty] of time to get this car back together and test these things in the next few weeks. Also confirmed the $250 shipped price for mafia bros (y'all always get a little bit better deal than the others).

t.er
08-11-2020, 07:12 AM
I'm right here bby....

I haven't had a chance to pull my stock TB out for comparison but I did grab some pics of one of the big bore bois:

I just got laid off so should have some [plenty] of time to get this car back together and test these things in the next few weeks. Also confirmed the $250 shipped price for mafia bros (y'all always get a little bit better deal than the others).

Wow, the surface finish on the inner bore looks very good!

Also damn that sucks... well yeah, on the upside at least you can finally get your car on the road, after what, like 5 months?

Galapolis
08-11-2020, 07:27 AM
Also damn that sucks... well yeah, on the upside at least you can finally get your car on the road, after what, like 5 months?

Has it been that long already? Was Pizzaman just using his Chevrolegs in the meantime?

ZHP_Brandon
08-11-2020, 10:48 AM
I'm right here bby....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/36d0c23472ae44cedac12cdf987cbb26.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/ae88266dc5357e82879c24e5de122343.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/1d95df7819e6379d5d94fd82d5edff9e.jpg

Interested to see what your thoughts are after installing and believe me I know all about getting laid off, Covid-19 has really put a dampener on any plans for anything car related for me too but I’m happy to spend money on a mod I can feel. I still have some stett intake boots to install on my car so that can happen at the same time should I pull the trigger!

ZHPizza
08-11-2020, 11:07 AM
Wow, the surface finish on the inner bore looks very good!

Yeah I still don't recognize the tool used but I'll attach a video that he sent me. Looks like it was a fast cutting speed but veeeeery slowly creeping down the barrel.

And yes, I'm not exactly upset about it as I was ready to leave and take some time off to finish the car and do some volunteer work. 5 months indeed!

Has it been that long already? Was Pizzaman just using his Chevrolegs in the meantime?

I've been driving the wife's wagon as she's been working from home or, when that blew a PS hose, the old VW that we keep parked on the street. Not exactly safe to drive, but it fires right up everytime!

Interested to see what your thoughts are after installing and believe me I know all about getting laid off, Covid-19 has really put a dampener on any plans for anything car related for me too but I’m happy to spend money on a mod I can feel. I still have some stett intake boots to install on my car so that can happen at the same time should I pull the trigger!

Oooh yeah that'd be a good combo. I have almost no butt dyno sensitivity so if I feel anything it'll be throttle response. Will keep you posted!

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f32eb912d1a3/VID-20190820-WA0001.mp4

Notaniroc
08-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Those are beautiful! Definitely put me down for one whenever you're comfortable with selling a few! You da man for hooking the Mafia up with a killer deal!

BMWCurves
08-11-2020, 09:58 PM

Whoa whoa whoa...you had a JOB?

Jokes aside, sorry about being laid off, but it sounds like you're not too upset about it so hopefully it leads to bigger and better things!

sillieidiot
08-18-2020, 12:47 AM
Yeah I still don't recognize the tool used but I'll attach a video that he sent me. Looks like it was a fast cutting speed but veeeeery slowly creeping down the barrel.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f32eb912d1a3/VID-20190820-WA0001.mp4

It looks like a normal boring bar to me. It's like a bit that has like a cutting tip in the bottom corner. It's just the cutting tip is thin and spinning around so fast that you can't see it. They have more L shaped ones for larger bores.

kind of like these:
https://www.globalcnc.com/Carbide%20Bars.jpg

Interested in how these turn out though. If my car wasn't out of commission, I'd probably be a good candidate lol

ZHP_Brandon
08-18-2020, 08:17 AM
If we went ahead and purchased one of these, is there anybody out there that has a tune that could really help with the extra air going into the IMF? I’m realizing that the Dinan TB is often found, but almost no one ever pays for dinan a tune to use it. I know it’s a stock unit that’s been modified (they all are), I’d just be worried about lean codes/rich mixtures.

az3579
08-18-2020, 10:42 AM
If we went ahead and purchased one of these, is there anybody out there that has a tune that could really help with the extra air going into the IMF? I’m realizing that the Dinan TB is often found, but almost no one ever pays for dinan a tune to use it. I know it’s a stock unit that’s been modified (they all are), I’d just be worried about lean codes/rich mixtures.

Well, I can confirm there are no rich/lean mixture codes as a result of installing the TB without a tune that calls for it. I have it in my ZHP and hasn't thrown any codes related to the TB.

ZHP_Brandon
08-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Well, I can confirm there are no rich/lean mixture codes as a result of installing the TB without a tune that calls for it. I have it in my ZHP and hasn't thrown any codes related to the TB.

Well that’s music to my ears atm lol, I’ll deff be buying one once I sell this Alcantara sedan interior in the next 2 weeks or so [emoji1374]... You have all the hard to find parts, Don’t you? lol

az3579
08-18-2020, 11:44 AM
You have all the hard to find parts, Don’t you? lol

I have a fair bit of goodies... not gonna lie.

ZHPizza
10-26-2020, 06:18 AM
Update: @ZHP_Brandon jumped at the chance to guinea pig this one. Wasn't the best candidate since he still has the stock exhaust manifolds choking the engine down, but he still felt an improvement across the gears/revs!

I'll create a FS thread once I get one installed on my car and can provide first person feedback, but we have confirmed that the car likes the bigger tb if anyone of you guys were just waiting on that.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201026/3384a6602a2684507117bc1d5f5f5f15.jpg

Galapolis
10-26-2020, 07:49 AM
First the M3 headers, now this? You're killing my wallet man lol.

ZHPizza
10-26-2020, 07:59 AM
First the M3 headers, now this? You're killing my wallet man lol.I distinctly remember you saying that you didn't want to mess with power improvements...

Galapolis
10-26-2020, 08:21 AM
I distinctly remember you saying that you didn't want to mess with power improvements...

I also bought my car because it was "cheap" but as E46 enthusiasts I think we all know how that turned out.

t.er
10-26-2020, 08:45 AM
When I first got my car I said I'd never throw coilovers on it or lower it.

To be fair, that was because I didn't want to compromise ground clearance or ride quality. Both are a bit worse but definitely more than acceptable

usinjin
10-26-2020, 11:56 AM
I also bought my car because it was "cheap" but as E46 enthusiasts I think we all know how that turned out.

heh-heh-heeeeh

Notaniroc
10-26-2020, 02:54 PM
I'm still interested! Glad to hear it worked out! I actually have been very curious :respect :thumbsup

330itoy
10-26-2020, 06:40 PM
Holy smokes this sounds great. I am still stock exhaust and probably will have to stay that way. I bought the ZHP for the wife. Will it still improve response? It is an auto and that kills this engine. This engine lives for the 6-speed and headers. I did install the Dinan CAI. Love this group.

ZHPizza
10-26-2020, 07:22 PM
I'm still interested! Glad to hear it worked out! I actually have been very curious :respect :thumbsupLmk if you want me to drop one in the mail. The Instagram crowd is swarming me now.
Holy smokes this sounds great. I am still stock exhaust and probably will have to stay that way. I bought the ZHP for the wife. Will it still improve response? It is an auto and that kills this engine. This engine lives for the 6-speed and headers. I did install the Dinan CAI. Love this group.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHopefully @ZHP_Brandon doesn't mind me sharing his feedback. He only has a Gruppe M intake and had this to say after the test drive:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201027/624628e2d32bf682e695e0081d5e2f68.jpg

BMWCurves
10-26-2020, 07:29 PM
Awwww shit it's time to open the wallet for another part that will sit in the basement for months on end. I'm so excited.

https://i.imgur.com/6BJhWdg.gif

EDIT:

https://i.imgur.com/kORgrHX.gif

Notaniroc
10-27-2020, 12:39 PM
Lmk if you want me to drop one in the mail. The Instagram crowd is swarming me now.

PM Sent!

Yass_ZHP
10-27-2020, 03:02 PM
I want some love as well, whats your IG account? ZHPizza? Im @e46heinz_zhp :D

ZHPizza
10-27-2020, 03:05 PM
I want some love as well, whats your IG account? ZHPizza? Im @e46heinz_zhp :DZHPizza was taken by some kid that delivers Domino's so...

@zhpizzasgarage

Yass_ZHP
10-27-2020, 03:52 PM
Following....

Showda711
10-27-2020, 09:25 PM
No, no, no! Buying a bmwp exhaust and technik headers were supposed to be the last engine mods. Haven't even put the headers on yet and I'm already Breakingout My Wallet!

trancenation
10-29-2020, 08:23 AM
ZHPizza was taken by some kid that delivers Domino's so...

@zhpizzasgarage

Pizza, is your design pretty much finalized or do you seem some room for improvements?

ZHPizza
10-29-2020, 08:36 AM
Pizza, is your design pretty much finalized or do you seem some room for improvements?It's done. I had 15 of them made in one run and don't plan on doing another. The approach is basic as can be: make the hole bigger, install a bigger plate to match. It's just a lot of labor doing the tear down/rebuild and some specialized equipment for the cutting.

I have 11 left for now, with 5 I'll-have-the-money-to-you-in-a-week's and countless I-want-one's

BMWCurves
10-29-2020, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but crucially, how many "you're a mad man, I'd never stick that in my car"s?

ZHPizza
10-29-2020, 12:36 PM
Yeah, but crucially, how many "you're a mad man, I'd never stick that in my car"s?Lol none. These cars are 15+ years old and most are shitboxes. Ain't nobody still buying fancy Dinan parts for a $6k car.

Showda711
12-11-2021, 12:51 PM
It's done. I had 15 of them made in one run and don't plan on doing another. The approach is basic as can be: make the hole bigger, install a bigger plate to match. It's just a lot of labor doing the tear down/rebuild and some specialized equipment for the cutting.

I have 11 left for now, with 5 I'll-have-the-money-to-you-in-a-week's and countless I-want-one's

Did you end up selling all of these?

JPMo
01-03-2022, 01:48 AM
Did you end up selling all of these?Also curious

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
01-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Did you end up selling all of these?
Also curious

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using TapatalkShort answer is yes

Long answer is I still have 2 or 3 that got damaged in shipping from the machinist, so I need to tear them down and rebuild with good electrical connectors. I have a few people waiting in line for whenever I get around to that, so I'd consider them sold as well.

cakM3
01-03-2022, 04:04 PM
Nice werk Pizzaman :thumbsup