PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Qi charging for E46

BADCLOWN
09-26-2020, 11:44 AM
This looks AMAZING, I think I’m ordering one:

https://induktivcharging.com/collections/frontpage/products/bmw-e46-3-series-including-m3-induktiv-wireless-device-charging-unit

rguti153
09-26-2020, 12:09 PM
Whoaaa this is freaking kooool !!!!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

28firefighter
09-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Uh, this is awesome.

PdZHP
09-26-2020, 02:12 PM
Super cool! Reminds me of this e39 mod

https://youtu.be/mHsWjQP84IM

racer2086
09-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Wow looks awesome. I wonder how it gets power?

Galapolis
09-26-2020, 03:44 PM
Wow looks awesome. I wonder how it gets power?

My guess is that it uses the power cord that originally charges the BMW phone.

das boots
09-26-2020, 06:58 PM
I guess I have to wait until I get out of my iPhone 7+. Yup...I know. I'm way off the grid. But it still works....and I watch my $$$$. Read....Cheap. :rofl

johnrando
09-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Yup, awesome! Hope the arm rest works with this. Also, wonder if it will slide around. Someone buy this and test it out. Ready in 120 days according to website?

BMWCurves
09-27-2020, 07:53 AM
Interesting!

I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I'm not the dullest either - can someone explain to me the fanfare of wireless charging? It's less energy efficient than a cord, there is heat with some chargers that can negatively affect the battery, and if you want to use your phone you have to keep it on the charging pad (compared with being able to use the phone when charging with a cord, but are limited by the cord's length).

The only downside I see of cords is them wearing out/breaking/getting lost.

holyc0w
09-27-2020, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I think that's about it - it's wireless. I've heard that wireless charging is pretty slow. Maybe in the future it will improve, but not something I would consider now, and my current phone doesn't support it. They should make one without the charging.

johnrando
09-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Galaxy has fast wireless charging (not sure how fast).

az3579
09-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Galaxy has fast wireless charging (not sure how fast).

Sent from my SM-G988U using TapatalkBoth the charger and phone have to support it though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Galapolis
09-27-2020, 02:23 PM
Interesting!

I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I'm not the dullest either - can someone explain to me the fanfare of wireless charging? It's less energy efficient than a cord, there is heat with some chargers that can negatively affect the battery, and if you want to use your phone you have to keep it on the charging pad (compared with being able to use the phone when charging with a cord, but are limited by the cord's length).

The only downside I see of cords is them wearing out/breaking/getting lost.

My first wireless charging phone was a Nokia Lumia 830. I got the Nokia desk charger and the Nokia car windscreen mount holder along with it. It all comes down to convenience and less loose cables dangling around. Whenever I got home, I could just drop the phone on the stand. That was it. Even more convenient was the car windscreen mount. I used the Nokia for navigation which drained battery quickly. Being able to just drop the phone in the mount (for which I had routed a cable out of sight) was so easy. And since there was no cable dangling from the phone, it was easy to take out/put it in and the interior just looked and felt cleaner. No more cables flying everywhere or trying to wrap themselves around the shifter like some kind of anorexic snake.

johnrando
09-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Both the charger and phone have to support it though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkAnd this charger doesn't say if fast or not. There is something to just laying ur phone in the car not having to hook anything up, having bluetooth autoconnect and charging 'just happen'

sillieidiot
09-28-2020, 02:44 AM
Wireless charging is pretty fast these days if your phone supports it. But I would wanna know the specs for the charger before buying. If it's 5w, it's way too slow. 7.5w is like the fastest iPhone can do. And flagship androids can do like 15w. I think 10w is good enough. That's what I currently have in my Model 3 and it's fairly fast. Also need specs of the space to see what phones can fit. I can't tell how big the phone is in the picture.

johnrando
09-28-2020, 10:56 AM
Wireless charging is pretty fast these days if your phone supports it. But I would wanna know the specs for the charger before buying. If it's 5w, it's way too slow. 7.5w is like the fastest iPhone can do. And flagship androids can do like 15w. I think 10w is good enough. That's what I currently have in my Model 3 and it's fairly fast. Also need specs of the space to see what phones can fit. I can't tell how big the phone is in the picture.Good input.

ZHPizza
09-29-2020, 01:18 PM
Up for preorder on ECS @ $150

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-induktiv-parts/e46-wireless-device-charging-unit-preorder/e46wireless~dk/?pdk=AQE

NorCalZman
09-29-2020, 02:44 PM
thats really cool. Only downside is if you use your phone for navigation then it would most likely be on the dash. somewhere.

Prestovie
09-29-2020, 03:10 PM
thats really cool. Only downside is if you use your phone for navigation then it would most likely be on the dash. somewhere.

I see it as being for when you’re not using nav, would be pretty useful to just slide your phone in driving around town.
Was about to place my order before realizing what was mentioned above, no specs on power output. Hopefully that’ll be something disclosed soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
09-29-2020, 04:57 PM
Well ECS gives the dimensions for the tray. That's pretty large, looks like it should fit large phones easily. Just need power specs now.

Pip
10-02-2020, 12:37 PM
For folks who remember Mike Migs of e46f and Status Gruppe. This is his other company out of SD. I was checking out the prototypes the other day when I was in his shop getting some work done on the M.

johnrando
10-06-2020, 01:32 PM
For folks who remember Mike Migs of e46f and Status Gruppe. This is his other company out of SD. I was checking out the prototypes the other day when I was in his shop getting some work done on the M.Oh, he's still around? Cool. I have one of his CSL c/f rep trunks for verts (as no OEM vert CSL trunk).

As him about the power specs on this pls.

sillieidiot
10-06-2020, 10:41 PM
For folks who remember Mike Migs of e46f and Status Gruppe. This is his other company out of SD. I was checking out the prototypes the other day when I was in his shop getting some work done on the M.

ah, so then it's an instant no go on this for me lol I'm not dealing with him again.