PDA

View Full Version : Low-RPM whistle noise only sometimes

Dano516
12-04-2020, 02:55 PM
As the title suggests, at low rpms, there's a slight whistling noise coming from the front. Weirdly enough, when I got it to the shop today, they couldn't replicate the sound. Research is hinting it being a lower intake boot cracked, but I do not have any lights coming up either.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of issue? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Vas
12-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Check the 3 vacuum caps on the back of the intake manifold. There are 2 small ones and 1 larger. Both are made out of rubber

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Dano516
12-05-2020, 02:15 AM
Thanks for that, didn't know that was even a thing. Do you mind giving me the rundown of how I can find this? All my research is kinda explaining to me in a third language. Would it also be a decent idea to remove the air box anyways to check for cracks in the intake boot?

Vas
12-05-2020, 07:18 AM
Part number 11611437560 - Quantity 2 needed
Part number 11611727176 - Quantity 1 needed

These caps are used to cap the extra vacuum ports that are not used on our cars. To access them you need to remove the cabin air filter/assembly.

In regards to the intake boots, you can feel how hard they are. Newer boots are pliable while older ones close to the end of their lifecycle are hard.

Dave1027
12-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Here's a pic of the three vacuum caps on the back of the intake manifold.

If it's not that then try your best to localize the noise. Maybe it's a fan belt pulley? I think the SAP can also make a high pitched noise.

It always a good idea to use a scanner to check for codes. If the noise is caused by a vacuum leak you would likely have P0171 and P0174 codes.

2004_blue_zhp
01-10-2021, 05:24 AM
Can't tell you definitively, but I've had that whistling on two separate occasions in my car, and in both cases it was indeed a cracked lower intake boot. For me it was a very high pitched whistle/whine, barely audible but still super annoying. It was only audible at low RPM **and** barely-any-throttle. If you floored it (either at 1k or at 5k) the whistle wasn't there. Not sure why at 1k. At 5k you certainly wouldn't be able to hear the whistle over the rest of the car noise (at least the way my whistle sounded). Not sure it that might help you or the shop replicate the symptom on demand.

BCS_ZHP
01-12-2021, 05:17 PM
Easy test for any vacuum leak, any car, get a can of spray carburetor cleaner. With the engine running, spray the carburetor cleaner around suspected vacuum leak areas ((e.g., the 3 caps, lower intake boot, etc.). If the idle suddenly rises, you’ve found the area of your leak. The suction of the intake system will pull in that carb cleaner, its very rich and will raise your idle for a second or two. Then get more precise with your carb cleaner sprays and pinpoint your vacuum leak. Hope that helps.

Fried_Chicken
01-16-2021, 09:53 PM
I have something similar, I think it’s my belt tensioner or my AC pump. I’ll have to take a look when I go in to replace my alternator regulator