PDA

View Full Version : New owner been lurking for a while

FLarimer
12-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Recently acquired a 12/04 build Titanium (354)/Lazer Cloth (G7AT) Steptronic ZHP convertible. 71k miles and playing catch up on the oh-so-typical "deferred" (read lazy) PO maintenance items. If I am reading the prod numbers chart correctly it seems this is 1 of 13 in this color combination.

Some may know me through my contributions to The Roundel and involvement with the LA and SD Chapters as well as my efforts at events like So Cal Vintage and Legends of the Autobahn.

Have owned multiple BMW's over the years, E30 M3's (2), E30 325's (including a 1990 325iC), E36 M3 convertible, E34 M5 and now, a E46 330ci ZHP convertible.

All the best, stay safe and healthy. Lots to learn for sure. So, anyone out there have a way to get into the glovebox? Lol,, yep, latch does move but not sufficiently enough so that I can open the one in my cabrio and discover whatever may be hidden in there...

All the best,
Fred Larimer
CCA LA & SD Chapters

John in VA
12-12-2020, 04:21 PM
Welcome Fred! I have your BMW & M-B Buyer's Guides.
I've dealt with the broken latches on E28 & E30, but not the E46 - hopefully someone can provide assistance.

Vas
12-12-2020, 05:54 PM
Welcome.

Share some bmw images if you don't mind

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

pedro2u
12-12-2020, 07:39 PM
Recently acquired a 12/04 build Titanium (354)/Lazer Cloth (G7AT) Steptronic ZHP convertible. 71k miles and playing catch up on the oh-so-typical "deferred" (read lazy) PO maintenance items. If I am reading the prod numbers chart correctly it seems this is 1 of 13 in this color combination.

Welcome! Verts rule! And agree with your numbers, there were only 23 built in this combo and 13 were AT

FLarimer
12-12-2020, 08:34 PM
Welcome Fred! I have your BMW & M-B Buyer's Guides.
I've dealt with the broken latches on E28 & E30, but not the E46 - hopefully someone can provide assistance.

John - greatly appreciate that you have both of my Buyer's Guides! Thanks for doing that :)

I too have dealt with the broken latches on my E30's - not so difficult. These E46 cab's are a different animal, from what I have found on this site and on youtube it seems the gloveboxes are incorporated into the central locking and have a reputation for malfunctioning. If I am able to get mine open I'll surely be figuring a way to take it out of the central locking system so as not to suffer this in the future.

FLarimer
12-12-2020, 08:37 PM
Welcome.

Share some bmw images if you don't mind

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Perhaps easier just to point you to my webpage - www.fredlarimer.com and click on the "gallery" heading. I'll bet somewhere in the FAQ's here are instructions on how to post images...I'll have a look through there.

FLarimer
12-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Welcome! Verts rule! And agree with your numbers, there were only 23 built in this combo and 13 were AT

Pete - thanks for confirming. As a former long-term E30 M3 owner (+20 years) it surprised me to learn there were actually fewer of these ZHP convertibles imported than there were of the E30 M3's. The internet is chock full of interesting and intriguing info isn't it.

BMWCurves
12-12-2020, 09:14 PM
https://i.imgur.com/lFj39AO.gif

But that seems like a great series of BMWs to own! Envious of the E30 M3s, I've always wanted to drive one.

fredo
12-12-2020, 09:43 PM
Welcome, sir. You will love this forum. It's easy to post pics from your computer (assuming your images are stored in there). Look for the "insert image" icon.

FLarimer
12-13-2020, 01:57 PM
https://i.imgur.com/lFj39AO.gif
But that seems like a great series of BMWs to own! Envious of the E30 M3s, I've always wanted to drive one.

The E30 M3's can be truly wonderful cars to drive either on surface streets or at HPDE's. I enjoyed both that I owned as they were intended - driven, enjoyed and maintained. I am happy to report both of my former E30 M3's are still out there being enjoyed.

Also in my past are an E12, E24, E28 and E39. I've been a fortunate enthusiast to have owned and driven some truly wonderful BMW's. This ZHP parks alongside a 2016 X3 that has turned out to be a real workhorse.

FLarimer
12-13-2020, 02:02 PM
Welcome, sir. You will love this forum. It's easy to post pics from your computer (assuming your images are stored in there). Look for the "insert image" icon.

Thanks for showing this to me! Looks like I'll need to downsize my images as the one I uploaded was err, ahh, B I G lol...

Oli77
12-13-2020, 06:22 PM
Welcome from KY! In my E93, the glove box has a serious lock. I think it is so that with the top down, no one can get into your stuff.
Is that also true in the e46?

pedro2u
12-13-2020, 08:20 PM
Welcome from KY! In my E93, the glove box has a serious lock. I think it is so that with the top down, no one can get into your stuff.

the e46 vert glove box does lock with the door locks. When they don't, the wiring at the lock is fragile and is a common issue - the wires at the lock are known to break off

FLarimer
12-13-2020, 08:29 PM

Yep. See Pedro's comments.

Lexington, KY. As a former USAF C-130 Crew Chief, I had the "pleasure" of spending a bit of time at Ft Campbell. Lovely countryside you have there!

johnrando
12-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Welcome! Fellow vert/steptronic here too. I recal an issue with my glove box but I can't remember how I opened it. E46fanatics.com has a good vert only section, there may be info in there.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk