PDA

View Full Version : Which why do you put your key in the ignition (Remix)?

BMWCurves
12-17-2020, 08:02 PM
To put it in the words of part-time great R&B artist and full-time horrible human being, R.Kelly:

It's the remix to "Ignition" / Hot and fresh out the kitchen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6y_4_b6RS8)

To that end,

Which way do you put your key in the ignition?

It's a very mundane, and ultimately useless existential question, but I stuck my key in the wrong way (see: buttons facing away from me) while in a rush this morning and I had to actively suppress my gag reflex (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYa3T0a862A) after the incident. I wanted to see if there's any consistency in the family.

Answer the poll at the top (and comment tally below)

EDIT: Okay, for the Tapatalk folk, I'll tally results from the comments below:

You can watch :) (Buttons facing the driver): 5
Don't look at me! (Buttons facing away): 2
I'm a monster (I have no preference which way the key goes in): 0
Y'all need to have more minerals in your diet: 1

ZHPizza
12-17-2020, 08:18 PM
I don't see the poll on tapatalk but I am 100% with you on this one (the jams, the key orientation, and the take on R. Kelly as a human).

Thumb on buttons gang represent

joeybananaz18
12-17-2020, 08:31 PM
Damn this is taking me back. Buttons face me. Like to have my thumb on the roundel just before turning- can’t explain why.

How can a guy who wrote happy people turn out like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PdZHP
12-17-2020, 09:18 PM
+1 Buttons facing driver

t.er
12-17-2020, 09:44 PM
Uh oh... I'm definitely the odd one out here. I always like having the buttons facing up when the key is pushed in, and like feeling the logo with my index finger as I turn the engine over.

I actually can't recall a time I ever drove with the buttons facing me, they always have to face the dash or it just feels off

BMWCurves
12-17-2020, 10:17 PM
Uh oh... I'm definitely the odd one out here. I always like having the buttons facing up when the key is pushed in, and like feeling the logo with my index finger as I turn the engine over.

I actually can't recall a time I ever drove with the buttons facing me, they always have to face the dash or it just feels off

https://i.imgur.com/HxB9VMI.gif

BADCLOWN
12-17-2020, 10:18 PM
It just feels natural in my hand with the buttons facing me

t.er
12-17-2020, 10:22 PM
:eeps please tell me I'm not the only one

Oli77
12-18-2020, 05:13 AM
Thumb on button.

Prestovie
12-20-2020, 07:22 AM
Almost 5 years here of buttons facing out, never knew people did it the other way... feels more in control to have that smooth backing to push your thumb up against.
What it’s me and one other guy on the whole site? Lol

BMWCurves
12-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Almost 5 years here of buttons facing out, never knew people did it the other way... feels more in control to have that smooth backing to push your thumb up against.
What it’s me and one other guy on the whole site? Lol

Nah, it's you, t.er, and my friend who I occasionally let drive my car and I have to scream internally when he puts the key in the way he does. Like an animal.

t.er
12-20-2020, 11:14 AM
lol, I honestly thought everyone had the buttons facing away, not toward the driver. My friend with his 320 put his keys in like you guys do and I thought he was the odd one out. It just doesn't feel right to me to have the buttons towards me

Prestovie
12-20-2020, 12:18 PM
lol, I honestly thought everyone had the buttons facing away, not toward the driver. My friend with his 320 put his keys in like you guys do and I thought he was the odd one out. It just doesn't feel right to me to have the buttons towards me

It’s alright man we’ve got each other

Will
12-20-2020, 01:13 PM
I voted for the more minerals in your diet, but I do prefer button away from me. It feels less likely to slip with my thumb pushing on the rear of the key rather than that chamfered surface on the Roundel side. Generally I don't care, though.

ZHPizza
12-20-2020, 08:03 PM
So do u guys pull the front of your underoos down by the waistband to take a leak or do you snake your peepee through the pouch maze?

johnrando
12-20-2020, 08:15 PM
So do u guys pull the front of your underoos down by the waistband to take a leak or do you snake your peepee through the pouch maze?Please nobody answer that! [emoji3061]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
12-20-2020, 08:24 PM
So do u guys pull the front of your underoos down by the waistband to take a leak or do you snake your peepee through the pouch maze?

https://i.imgur.com/aKKyrzP.gif

Please nobody answer that! [emoji3061]

https://i.imgur.com/w0e4stX.gif

t.er
12-20-2020, 08:48 PM
Oh, so you're saying that it's not normal to just let it dribble down the right leg of your pants?

BMWCurves
12-20-2020, 09:22 PM
Oh, so you're saying that it's not normal to just let it dribble down the right leg of your pants?

As a medical student and not yet licensed doctor, I am only able to tell you that you should consult your doctor if your erection lasts longer than four hours.

Vas
12-21-2020, 07:56 AM
I was team buttons away from me but that was because the roundel fell off the key. But now that I replaced it I am for having them face the driver

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201221/90627a0944b173aec063dbdef65bae8d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

az3579
12-21-2020, 06:07 PM
What is wrong with all you crazy people????
I honestly can't fathom why you would want to be mashing those buttons while turning the key, further weakening the cheap stick on roundel and risking it falling off even sooner and wearing out the markings on the key!

I guess t.er, Will, and myself are the only sane people here! :rofl

Galapolis
12-21-2020, 06:09 PM
Wait you guys use your key? I just hot-wire the ignition every time.

Prestovie
12-22-2020, 07:49 AM
Wait you guys use your key? I just hot-wire the ignition every time.

Anyone missing their ZHP? Sounds like Galapolis got his for a steal lol

johnrando
12-22-2020, 08:26 PM
Anyone missing their ZHP? Sounds like Galapolis got his for a steal lol

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLol!

cakM3
12-23-2020, 12:17 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201223/ac5e78d0c0ca1be5f6267fdec51f4c3b.jpg

This is how I do it with my BMWs[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

papa_g
12-24-2020, 11:00 AM
I am thoroughly convinced that if I don’t have the buttons facing me when I start the engine, the car will explode. Don’t @ me.

fredo
12-24-2020, 01:52 PM
Voted. I'm the only monster so far (no preference). :ninja

pedro2u
12-24-2020, 03:19 PM
well I voted for more minerals, and we're in 2nd place in the voting... This is not one of my many "Rain Man" compulsions

I'm an excellent driver........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1uX6VliMpw

johnrando
12-25-2020, 02:30 PM
Voted. I'm the only monster so far (no preference). :ninjaNo real opinion either, but I think the slight majority of the time the buttons face me.

Dave1027
01-02-2021, 10:52 AM
I was team buttons away from me but that was because the roundel fell off the key. But now that I replaced it I am for having them face the driver

My roundel fell off too. Went about 6 months without a roundel and then one day I happen to see small dot the back patio just laying on the ground. Picked it up and it was the roundel! I super glued it back on. Way too freaky. I guess it was meant to be

Will
01-02-2021, 11:44 AM
My roundel fell off too. Went about 6 months without a roundel and then one day I happen to see small dot the back patio just laying on the ground. Picked it up and it was the roundel! I super glued it back on. Way too freaky. I guess it was meant to be

Nice find!

I have a self report / update: ever since the poll I've been more aware of the orientation of the key as I use it... although I don't have a preference, I find the roundel/button faces me more often than not.

BMWCurves
01-02-2021, 01:01 PM
Nice find!

I have a self report / update: ever since the poll I've been more aware of the orientation of the key as I use it... although I don't have a preference, I find the roundel/button faces me more often than not.

One of us! One of us!