PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to the Fleet - Decisions to Make

pedro2u
02-24-2021, 06:37 PM
Some changes in my life and my fleet, and I'm nearing the time when I need to make a decision. I recently retired, plus sold my house in NH in January (with a great 3 car garage) and left for Florida for an extended winter vacation. It's not a buyer's market for homes at the moment, hence a relaxing Florida vacation. So no house, no garage, no pressure, and both my BMW's in a storage unit in NH.

Spring is coming. Decision time.

I love my 87K mile ZHP vert, and I love my '08 E92 with only 24K miles. Both are great cars, been pampered and have been good to me.....

But here comes the dilemma .....I've always wanted a V8 E93 M3 6MT

So a few weeks ago (2/3), while on vacation in Key West, THE M3 came up for auction on CarsandBids. 38K miles, 6MT.... my wife said "go for it" ( I love this lady!) and unbelievably I was the winning bidder at an incredible below market price IMHO. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9QQjbQNe/2011-bmw-m3-convertible

With a lien to clear by the seller, and weather delayed transport to my daughters house in NC, just received the car 4 days ago and I flew up from Florida to watch it being unloaded. And fortunately, it's perfect, as advertised, with a few minor expected cosmetic things that I'll take care of, and most of all.... it's a beast! Drives fantastic, the exhaust note is intoxicating and it's got brutal neck snapping power. Wow

So now, too many cars once the other 2 come out of storage. So that's the decision I'm facing, and at the moment I'm leaning toward keeping the E92 and begrudgingly letting the ZHP vert go to another steward of our cars. Can't manage 2 verts..... All that will probably happen in April or May when I'm back in New England and can get the ZHP out of storage and prep it for sale, possibly on BaT

So just sharing my dilemma and good fortune on finding a great exhilarating V8 M3

Personal thanks to Fredo who has been giving me his thoughts offline to help me with what direction to go - you are all lucky to have him in this great ZHPMafia community

Here's the new ride

cakM3
02-24-2021, 06:50 PM
Congrats on your new whip Pete! Car looks amazing :thumbsup

t.er
02-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Congrats on the new purchase! Hmmm I think it'd be a tough decision for me. If you sell the E46 you'll have two E92s... I know the engines are completely different but the similarities in platform would make me want to keep the ZHP. But on the other hand, the ZHP is a vert and for sure it doesn't really make sense to have two of them. Hard to say really but at least you have time to decide!

fredo
02-24-2021, 07:16 PM
Well done, sir. Congrats ! And I think it makes sense to keep the car with less miles (E92 335).

pedro2u
02-24-2021, 07:16 PM
you're right about the 2 different engines, E92 335xi vs the E93 M3 V8, but that E92 twin turbo is nothing to sneeze at... it's also exhilarating power. Being a child of the muscle car era, if the ZHP had a bit more power, I'd probably have never wanted anything more than all that the joy the ZHP already brings us

pedro2u
02-24-2021, 08:04 PM
Thanks Fredo, I'm aligned with you that the E92 is this right choice. I've transformed it to suit my M3 tastes, and it's as close to an M3 look as I can get it, and it's a sweet drive

BMWCurves
02-25-2021, 10:25 AM
Really tough spot. Were the ZHP a non-convertible, would your decision be different?

pedro2u
02-25-2021, 01:09 PM
that might be an even harder decision. In that scenario, I still might be pressed to keep the 2 cars with the really low mileage for the model years, which would also say the ZHP would have to go, and 87K miles is still pretty low for a 16 year old car:

2011 E93 M3 6MT with 38K miles
2008 E92 335Xi auto with 24K miles
2005 E46 ZHP vert 6MT with 87K miles

STREETFIGHTER50
02-25-2021, 01:35 PM
I remember when I first heard that V8 M3 fly by me! He was on it! Very intoxicating sound indeed!

Pilot05
02-25-2021, 02:47 PM
I would sell both the 87K mile ZHP vert and the '08 E92 with only 24K miles - both of which would likely garner a premium, and redeploy a fraction of the proceeds into a manual ZHP coupe, sedan or if you find one, a properly built 6-speed ZHP wagon..

cakM3
02-25-2021, 02:54 PM
That will be a bittersweet moment Pete when you let your ZHP go.

pedro2u
02-25-2021, 06:23 PM
That will be a bittersweet moment Pete when you let your ZHP go.

thanks, I'm clearly struggling with it!

I would sell both the 87K mile ZHP vert and the '08 E92 with only 24K miles - both of which would likely garner a premium, and redeploy a fraction of the proceeds into a manual ZHP coupe, sedan or if you find one, a properly built 6-speed ZHP wagon..

hmmmm... I like this idea! But my daughter just said "don't tell Mom!" So, need to do some "negotiating at home" - sell them both while the miles are attractive to buyers and they'll bring a premium, and use some of the proceeds to find a 6MT ZHP coupe or wagon to help mitigate my ZHP withdrawal symptoms! Of course my ZHP vert was a fair weather only ride, and a coupe would see more service than that. But still end up with my 2 dream cars.....

let the process begin - stakeholder negotiations

cakM3
02-25-2021, 06:31 PM
thanks, I'm clearly struggling with it!

Good luck with your negotiations Pete :thumbsup

I know once you sell your ZHP you will miss it. I have been thru this myself so I know the feeling. I'm just happy to be back in another ZHP to restore and mod it to my tastes.... I'm having a lot of fun in the process. ;)

t.er
02-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Agreed with obtaining a ZHP with a fixed roof, that way you have the best of both worlds. My opinion is that both the 335 and M3 are too similar to each other to be worth keeping both.

pedro2u
02-25-2021, 08:05 PM
Agreed with obtaining a ZHP with a fixed roof, that way you have the best of both worlds. My opinion is that both the 335 and M3 are too similar to each other to be worth keeping both.

Thanks guys. All this discussion just validates that our passion for cars never dies, and even when it seems like you've reached your dreams, they're immediately replaced with the next level. You've refocused me on keeping both my ZHP reality and that M3 dream

cakM3
02-25-2021, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys. All this discussion just validates that our passion for cars never dies, and even when it seems like you've reached your dreams, they're immediately replaced with the next level. You've refocused me on keeping both my ZHP reality and that M3 dream

:roundel

johnrando
02-25-2021, 08:25 PM
Wow, what a beaut, congrats! Tough call. I wld say keep the zhp but it's gotta feel so slow now compared to those two.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

cakM3
02-26-2021, 03:46 AM
Wow, what a beaut, congrats! Tough call. I wld say keep the zhp but it's gotta feel so slow now compared to those two.

But Pete would have two very different cars, each with their very own unique characters to appreciate.

Since Pete already owns his ZHP, he knows the actual condition of this car maintenance-wise so he won’t have to put in additional funds to sort it out and can just enjoy driving it whenever he wants to just cruise in it[emoji1417]

You know the E46 ZHP is a unique car to own and drive. It took me to sell mine and be without it for a few years to realize just how special these cars are. Once I got back in and started to drive it all came back to me [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

pedro2u
02-26-2021, 07:28 AM
I won't be bringing the ZHP or the E92 out of storage until at least April. That will be the 1st time I can really compare all 3 cars. That might be a difficult day when I realize I can't bring myself to part with any of them

wstr75
02-26-2021, 09:37 AM
Pete, I understand your dilemma. I am in the same position. My son's car was totaled (rear ended) last August and he took my 435ix convertible. He bought a Ridgeline last week. I am back to driving the 435iX and saying to myself, wow, absence truly does make the heart fonder as its MPPK kit and turbo means more to me now than when it was purchased in 2018. With knee replacement surgery coming up I'm going your route and trimming the herd. Despite all the work done to the ZHP, it is drawing the short straw because of 6MT and because I have had six fun years of fixing up stuff with the available hours more importantly now being reserved for our grandchild and our business. The issue is finding someone who loves a high mileage ZHP convertible and keeping it up as much as I have. Money is not important, sending it to a good home is what is important to me. Pete, are you facing the same feelings and economic viewpoint as me? Inquiring minds want to know . . . and if anyone has advice, I am all ears.

pedro2u
02-26-2021, 10:02 AM
With all the economic hardship and death so many are induring, let’s just say I’m extremely fortunate to have a “simple problem” like this! I’ve retired and turn 70 in April, so if all my years of enjoyment under the hood of my cars has born any fruit, this happy problem is that fruit. I’m sure if we hadn’t just sold our house with 3 garage stalls I might not be thinking so hard about what to do. We’ll eventually buy another house when the housing market favors buyers instead of sellers. But until then, my fleet is “homeless” once I pull them out of storage

John in VA
02-26-2021, 01:53 PM
I won't be bringing the ZHP or the E92 out of storage until at least April. That will be the 1st time I can really compare all 3 cars. That might be a difficult day when I realize I can't bring myself to part with any of them

That's how you end up with eight BMWs...!

Will
02-26-2021, 03:57 PM
Congrats on the new car, it's beautiful. I love the banshee howl of those motors as it approaches redline, very distinctive.

That's how you end up with eight BMWs...!

Lol.

pedro2u
02-26-2021, 05:33 PM

Exactly, the M3 is sooooo much more powerful, and I haven't even tried to use/program that M button. You mean there's more power? I think rockets must from the exhaust..... so James Bond. It's a blast

Oli77
02-28-2021, 11:11 AM
Congrats on the new intoxicating vert Pete!

Keep the ZHP, simple as that.

:kumbaya

fredo
02-28-2021, 11:21 AM
I think it makes more sense to keep one AT and one MT. The 335xi is AT, the M3 is MT. Just my 2 cents. :dunno

pedro2u
03-01-2021, 11:54 AM
You guys are trying to help, I know. Clearly everyone has their own opinion. At least from all the suggestions, I'm glad no one has said " Sell the M3!" yet !

pedro2u
04-14-2021, 07:08 PM
OK Here we go...

Photoshoot is tomorrow for the ZHP and the E92 Coupe. This is painful...

The ZHP got detailed today and snapped a few images outside our hotel

Should be on BaT in a few weeks if no interesting offers appear as I get it ready....

pedro2u
04-15-2021, 05:43 AM
and tomorrow is here.... unfortunately its a gloomy day and about to rain here for days....... :facepalm

Postponed shoot to a day with at least some sunshine next week

here's another pic from yesterday

fredo
04-15-2021, 11:07 AM
Beauty !

johnrando
04-16-2021, 07:41 PM
Looks grt, enjoy the shoot!

pedro2u
05-06-2021, 06:47 AM
and after about a month, I've finally submitted lots of pictures and 4 videos to BaT. The wait for the listing to go live begins.....

Here's one of videos:

https://youtu.be/YA0Tbly4-RY

and one of the pics:

cakM3
05-06-2021, 07:38 AM
Excellent pictures Pete! I'm sure you're going to miss this car... hope it goes to a good home! GLWS :thumbsup

pedro2u
05-06-2021, 07:51 AM
thanks Charlie. It hurts to be selling these cars, both of them have been great drivers and are in amazing condition. Someone will be very happy. But upside is still that the M3 is a dream car for me and fills the void, plus I'm really pleased with the pics the photographer took.... and working on the E92 listing now - it's quite a bit of work to get everything together and submitting a listing to BaT

and I'm hoping (and have requested) that BaT not list the ZHP and the E92 at the same time.... let's see if they oblige

fredo
05-06-2021, 07:58 AM
Wait a sec ... I remember you said the E92 was a keeper.

pedro2u
05-06-2021, 08:14 AM
Wait a sec ... I remember you said the E92 was a keeper.

well..... we just made an offer on a house in Connecticut.......... budget's change

it does hurt, but we love the house and it's driving the decisions at this point

fredo
05-06-2021, 08:32 AM
That makes sense. I’m sure BaT will get good bids for you.

cakM3
05-06-2021, 09:02 AM
well..... we just made an offer on a house in Connecticut.......... budget's change

it does hurt, but we love the house and it's driving the decisions at this point

There's always an opportunity to get another E92 down the road if you want to Pete. I would say the M3 vert you have is the keeper... that is an amazing car!

Be sure to provide links to your sales when it happens... hopefully someone from this forum will purchase your cars :thumbsup

johnrando
05-06-2021, 09:28 PM
Beauty! GLWS!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk