View Full Version : Valve Cover Replacement -- Aftermarket or OE?

roddykar
04-03-2021, 02:41 PM
I know the most obvious response is always "you can never really go wrong with OEM", and it's a rule I generally agree with, but I've been doing some research in figuring out what the best path is for which valve cover I should get to replace my existing during my VCG and Vanos reseal.

Generally speaking I always do try to go OE, but man... ~$450+ for a valve cover that seemingly always cracks at some point. Is it absolutely terrible if I went with an amazon/ebay brand instead? Can anyone direct me to threads with people's experience? I've been trying to search both on here and e46f and haven't found much, as the two key words "valve cover" are often mixed with results regarding gaskets.

To simplify my question: Should I just bite the bullet and spend $450 on a new OEM valve cover, or spend $80 for an amazon/ebay one?
With either decision, I am using OEM gaskets anyway.

Thanks in advance!

ZHPizza
04-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Go M56! Aluminum valve cover and crappy CCV delete!

cakM3
04-03-2021, 05:43 PM
I would source OEM parts from FCP euro and know that I will have lifetime warranty on every part I source from them. To me this is the way to go...

roddykar
04-03-2021, 10:21 PM
Go M56! Aluminum valve cover and crappy CCV delete! Looked at this briefly but noticed there ends up being some weird situation with two caps or something? Not exactly sure but I know it goes on fine. Is this really the best route?

I would source OEM parts from FCP euro and know that I will have lifetime warranty on every part I source from them. To me this is the way to go... Definitely! Always buy from FCPEuro. They’re amazing. Just an insanely priced part everywhere I’ve looked. Generally I’m able to find OEM parts at a pretty good price online except for this one.

Thanks for the advice thus far.

John in VA
04-04-2021, 04:51 AM
Autohaus AZ has the Rein & Vaico covers - https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/k/bmw/2005/1431328-330i/valve%20cover

az3579
04-04-2021, 06:16 AM
Go M56! Aluminum valve cover and crappy CCV delete!

This is what I would do, and will do, once I find a replacement plastic piece for the one I have.

ZHPizza
04-04-2021, 06:19 AM
Looked at this briefly but noticed there ends up being some weird situation with two caps or something? Not exactly sure but I know it goes on fine. Is this really the best route?

It is by far the best route if you're not afraid of a little DIY creativity. If you were already planning on replacing the valve cover and CCV yourself, then you're fine. Several of us have done it here and will be happy to guide you along the way.

This is what I would do, and will do, once I find a replacement plastic piece for the one I have.

What plastic piece are you missing?

az3579
04-04-2021, 06:20 AM
What plastic piece are you missing?

Don't remember. Friend gave it to me and it's been sitting a while, low on my priority list. lol
I have to ask him again. It's a piece that's a bit difficult to get, I just can't remember what it is. :(

roddykar
04-04-2021, 08:54 AM
Autohaus AZ has the Rein & Vaico covers - https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/k/bmw/2005/1431328-330i/valve%20cover Yeah I saw. But they have a bad rap for the valve covers I guess. Based on the research I did Vaico’s was especially unreliable.

It is by far the best route if you're not afraid of a little DIY creativity. If you were already planning on replacing the valve cover and CCV yourself, then you're fine. Several of us have done it here and will be happy to guide you along the way. hmm. Appreciate the insight. Probably wouldn’t be able to since my car’s at the shop already. They had called me saying I need to get a new valve cover too. I wonder if they’d even perform a little mod like this. Maybe I’ll call and ask tomorrow.

BMWCurves
04-04-2021, 10:55 AM
They had called me saying I need to get a new valve cover too. I wonder if they’d even perform a little mod like this. Maybe I’ll call and ask tomorrow.

I've never had an issue with my indy putting in non-OE parts, but he now has a sign at his front desk that he will not install customer-provided parts unless they are OEM or are willing to waive such and such responsibility. I completely understand, there's a story there. Thankfully, he still lets me give him whatever parts I want.

roddykar
04-04-2021, 12:25 PM
Yeah they don’t have a problem with me providing my own parts either, even if they’re from eBay. These guys are really great down here in San Diego — called Euro Auto Spot.

I was referring to not knowing if they do the CCV delete mod with the aluminum m56 valve cover. They may if I led them through it but I’d probably be paying a lot more for labor, I’m guessing.

roddykar
04-05-2021, 05:04 PM
Just an update on this:
Bought a used (cleaned) $40 OEM one for now until I find a good full-set m56 aluminum valve cover and then I'll replace it again then.

Already got OEM gaskets anyway to fit the existing m54 VC I had. It seems like the consensus says to go with the m56 aluminum valve cover to avoid future warping/cracking.

Thanks for all the help here!

ZHPizza
04-06-2021, 04:38 AM
Nice that's the perfect strategy. If you haven't done the vamos seals yet, then you can add that to the list for the M56 conversion. Fun little DIY that'll take you a weekend but build a lot of confidence.

roddykar
04-08-2021, 11:09 AM
I wish I did do it all myself, but my Indy just did my gaskets and vanos (got the kit from Beisan a month ago).

I will probably attempt the m56 valve cover myself though!