PDA

View Full Version : Rear View Mirror

das boots
05-28-2021, 07:11 PM
Apologies if this has been beaten to death before.

I got this mirror which droops even on paved roads.

Is there any way or how to tighten the mirror to the ball stem? Aside from buying a new mirror.

Hopefully I am not the only one having this sad mirror condition.

Mirror does not have the digital compass. Just the regular red clown nose globe indicator.

Thanks.

PdZHP
05-28-2021, 08:41 PM
You can try the superglue trick by putting some on the ball to assist with grip. Usually some of the plastic teeth that help squeeze the ball break and the metal ring stays loose used to apply pressure. Easier to get a replacement and maybe upgrade while at it.

cakM3
05-29-2021, 08:04 AM
Reach out to JP. He's in your area and has a shop. I'm quite sure he can help you out. :thumbsup

das boots
05-29-2021, 08:25 AM
Reach out to JP. He's in your area and has a shop. I'm quite sure he can help you out. :thumbsup

Just reached out to him with the La Jolla Independent.

cakM3
05-29-2021, 08:33 AM
Just reached out to him with the La Jolla Independent.

:thumbsup

das boots
05-29-2021, 08:51 AM
I noticed there are different types of rear view mirrors. There is one with an LED (Sos) What is that for? I presently do not have this. All I got is the plain jane with clown nose.

And another is w/ Auto-dip(S5431A),rain sensor (S521A) and mobile phone preparation (S639A): Mirror w/EC (electromatic) and LED (light - emitting) diode for alarm system. Cost a whole lot more.....Double the price. As per FCP Euro.

Why do they make things complicated?

cakM3
05-29-2021, 09:34 AM
I noticed there are different types of rear view mirrors. There is one with an LED (Sos) What is that for?

The mirror with the SOS button is used with cars that came with the BMW Assist feature. These cars also came with the characteristic shark fin antenna which the BMW Assist uses.

As for the other mirrors the one I installed in my ZHP comes from the E90. It is a hidden compass/homelink mirror with recessed grey clown nose. Since my ZHP came with BMW Assist, I had to remove pins 4,5,6 and 7 from my mirror wiring harness and add Pin 3 (switched +12VDC power) so that my E90 mirror would work perfectly. It was easy to do and I have a better updated auto dim rear view mirror in my ZHP :)

oh and I got my auto-dim mirror from eBay for much cheaper...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324358750755?fits=Make%3ABMW&epid=1022189840&hash=item4b8549c223:g:umEAAOSwbCRfoJa2

$74.99 + $13 shipping

MINIz guy
05-30-2021, 07:29 AM
Make sure the metal ring is secured around the plastic teeth, like PdZHP mentioned.

I had a droopy mirror too. One of the plastic teeth is broken off and the metal ring was free. I resecured the ring (took 2 people) and the mirror is now easy to adjust but no longer droopy.