PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Arm Removal

Satcho
07-27-2021, 05:05 PM
ZHP Mafia members:

I need help removing the wiper arms from their posts to replace the windshield cowl.

I viewed a Shop Life video which instructed one to laterally rock to remove. I tried that, did not move. I do not want to force anything. I also tried pulling with my fingers, straight up ... no movement. Also, placed a trim removal tool behind the arm housing to pry with a little force, again ... no movement.

How does one remove it?

See attached photos...

Satcho38237

Vas
07-27-2021, 05:16 PM
Spray some penetration liquid on it, close the hood, put the arms up and rock them back and forth.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

cakM3
07-27-2021, 05:25 PM
Spray some penetration liquid on it, close the hood, put the arms up and rock them back and forth.

+1 What Vas just said... easiest way to do this :thumbsup

Satcho
07-27-2021, 06:29 PM

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I shall try the penetrating oil. Initially, I only rocked it for maybe 3 seconds which I tried with the hood closed and the wiper up. Hopefully, the penetrating oil and a longer period of time rocking wil do it.

ZHPizza
07-27-2021, 06:37 PM
Mine didn't budge with oil/rocking/prying/any damn thing. This little guy made short work of them, though. It's a copy of the BMW tool.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076PY8785/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_RVPEEP5Z5N8PS1RFNN3B?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Satcho
07-27-2021, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I read further that some individuals went to Autozone and used a puller for free (refundable deposit).

Archbid
07-27-2021, 09:04 PM
This is what I used. $12and does the job perfectly

John in VA
07-28-2021, 05:30 AM
Mine didn't budge with oil/rocking/prying/any damn thing. This little guy made short work of them, though. It's a copy of the BMW tool.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076PY8785/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_RVPEEP5Z5N8PS1RFNN3B?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is what the BMW puller looks like (~$38 on eBay). I talked to my glass shop to see that they use/recommend & went with the puller like the one you showed from Amazon. It worked!

Satcho
07-28-2021, 10:22 AM
This is what the BMW puller looks like (~$38 on eBay). I talked to my glass shop to see that they use/recommend & went with the puller like the one you showed from Amazon. It worked!

I was able to remove both assemblies without penetrating oil, simply rocking back and forth. Driver's-side took about 25-30 seconds. The passenger-side took several minutes of intermittent rocking. Since I could see movement, I kept at it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Good sense of accomplishment. Now on to installing carbon fiber trim, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket control arms (bushings and ball joints), engine and transmission mounts, some sensors, and upper & lower air intakes hoses.

I am wondering about how the Amazon and BMW pullers are
placed on the wiper assembly post?

trancenation
07-28-2021, 11:20 AM
what worked for me was to hold the wiper assemblies base perpendicular to the shaft and pull. This requires you to hold the arm that's spring loaded in compression.

pedro2u
07-28-2021, 11:29 AM
+1 on the puller. Years ago I bought a cheap 3 jaw puller at Harbor Freight and it popped it right off (and +1 on using some penetrating oil first). I've since found it a useful addition to the toolbox (ie. used it for front control arm bushings, made them a snap to get off)

John in VA
07-28-2021, 11:45 AM
I am wondering about how the Amazon and BMW pullers are placed on the wiper assembly post?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3oQItKMxQM&ab_channel=ScrewsNutsAndBolts
A dab of anti-seize isn't a bad idea.

Satcho
07-28-2021, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the video link.

I inaccurately described my initial motion I tried. It was an up 'n down motion and rocking. This method worked on my second basically because I di it longer. I initial resistance I encountered made me stop and reassess.

ZHPizza
07-28-2021, 06:47 PM
38238R U CALLIN ME A LIAR!?!?

cuz I obviously am lol my bad

John in VA
07-29-2021, 02:52 PM
R U CALLIN ME A LIAR!?!?
cuz I obviously am lol my bad
:thumbsup