PDA

View Full Version : Got alot of work done on my car at 127k and surprised at some of the results

NorCalZman
10-27-2021, 10:35 AM
I just picked up my car from a local BMW indie where it had a lot of 100k service done, some repairs, and some refreshing as a while-we-are-in-there.

The usual stuff was changing all the fluids front to back, new belts, etc.
Change the oil pan gasket and Differential gasket as both had leaks
Change both my ABS pressure sensors since I was getting the ABS/DSC lights in hot weather (safety issue, IMO).

And we decided to refresh some less essential stuff:
New set of SACHS shock and struts
New engine mounts
New differential mount bushing (old one was very worn)

My shocks did not seem bad, but the new ones are definitely an improvement. When I drove over some bad roads on the way home from the mechanic, the car was less "jiggly" and some of the bumps seemed more distant. Definitely a refinement change. I was thinking about getting the Konis but getting parts was going to take too long so I just had the OE replacements put in and they are just fine.

I am more surprised with the drivetrain parts like the mounts and bushings. The drivetrain is definitely smoother with less harshness, and even shifting gears is easier. the engine mounts must have really been worn.

I highly suggest these changes if your car has over 100k and you want it to feel like a newer car. The subtle changes do add up.

AZBP2
10-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Thank you!!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

san
10-27-2021, 10:54 AM
The biggest change in the way the car drove was after I replaced the engine mounts. Your comment about car feeling less jiggly has more to do with engine mounts than the dampers, at least on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCalZman
10-28-2021, 07:48 AM
The biggest change in the way the car drove was after I replaced the engine mounts. Your comment about car feeling less jiggly has more to do with engine mounts than the dampers, at least on mine.

Interesting, even over bumps?

san
10-28-2021, 08:48 AM
Yup, but my passenger side engine mount was split in half, so the difference was probably more profound.

NorCalZman
10-28-2021, 09:35 AM
Interesting. Maybe mine were that bad too!

johnrando
10-29-2021, 04:36 PM
They do add up. Good refresh!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk