PDA

View Full Version : Need someone in Ohio area to check out a ZHP if possible

jcollins03
12-17-2021, 08:56 AM
Hey,

There is currently a 2003 330i ZHP black on alcantara 6 speed, going for 9k in the Ohio area. It’s listed on FB marketplace and the seller isn’t going to do a PPI without me coming to him first (I’m from NYC) and has no maintenance records. Claims he got it from a friend about 7 months ago.

Anyone willing to check it out that’s in the area?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/315381833784330/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner&_rdr

It’s only got 137k miles so for 9k it could be a steal depending how it is mechanically. Could also be a money pit since I have no maintenance records to go off.

Let me know if anyone’s interested in checking it out.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
12-17-2021, 09:17 AM
Car looks good. I assume the seller doesnt want to take the car to a shop for the PPI ? Maybe you can find a mobile mechanic if thats the case.

jcollins03
12-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Car looks good. I assume the seller doesnt want to take the car to a shop for the PPI ? Maybe you can find a mobile mechanic if thats the case.

Thanks! Didn’t even know mobile mechanic was a thing I’ll have to check it out. And yeah it looks good from the pics but who knows if those are even recent pics.

BADCLOWN
12-17-2021, 12:06 PM
I don't have facebook so the link doesn't work for me, where is the car located in Ohio?

Whammy
12-17-2021, 12:16 PM
I don't have facebook so the link doesn't work for me, where is the car located in Ohio?

Liberty, OH

pedro2u
12-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Assume he gave you the VIN and you ran a CarFax? Some of us you this link to get Carfax's for about $5 each:

https://www.autovhr.com/deal/

I've done many CarFax's without issue with this site

It will at least give you some of the repair history (or accidents). And have you asked for more pictures? From experience, pictures of a black on black car that were taken in the dark can hide everything........ Believe me, all 3 of my BMW's have been black. I admit, those night shots do look good though....

Good luck!

and +1 on Fredo's comment - get a mobile PPI

TrKy3
12-18-2021, 06:57 AM
It has a dealer plate on it. He probably got it from auction.
If the seller isn’t working with you just look for another (I know they’re hard to find, but who knows what wrong with it without inspecting it).

BADCLOWN
12-18-2021, 08:45 AM
Liberty appears to be just west of Dayton, OH. thats a little too far away (a little over an hour) for me to go inspect a vehicle, especially this time of year with my work schedule being insane and the holidays coming up.

I agree with the above though, if the guy is unwilling to accommodate your requests, move along. A seller wanting to make a sale will do anything within reason to accommodate that. A PPI doesn't seem outside of reasonable at all, or at least for him to take various pictures of things you request to prove condition.

fredo
12-18-2021, 09:29 AM
I sold my 335 to a guy in Wisconsin some years ago. He asked for a PPI, this is how it was done:

Buyer found 2 different shops. We agreed on one.
He coordinated with shop and set an appt
I took the car to shop and waited for it, prob 1.5 hours
Buyer paid the shop directly with credit card
Shop emailed report to buyer

That was it. Yes, it took a couple of hours of my time but that was ok with me.

pedro2u
12-18-2021, 01:10 PM
It has a dealer plate on it. He probably got it from auction..

Good point about the plate. Red flags are going up.......

Although some states are different, in my experience, that would mean he is a dealer!

Those plates are generally only issued for cars to be driven at or by a dealership, or for the dealers employees (sales people) to drive

I've bought many cars at dealer auctions in my life. We brought our own dealer plates to drive them home from the auctions

jcollins03
12-18-2021, 01:26 PM
Good point about the plate. Red flags are going up.......

Although some states are different, in my experience, that would mean he is a dealer!

Those plates are generally only issued for cars to be driven at or by a dealership, or for the dealers employees (sales people) to drive

I've bought many cars at dealer auctions in my life. We brought our own dealer plates to drive them home from the auctions

Thanks all! Asked for the Vin and day time pics and haven’t heard back, so it’s on to the next. Appreciate everyone’s help and advice!

jcollins03
12-19-2021, 08:52 PM
Owner just updated to rebuilt title… waste of time and thanks for everyone helping out. Appreciate y’all!

Phillips0417
12-20-2021, 04:43 AM
That's what I was going to mention, it says rebuilt title. Guess he failed to mention that during any discussion but updated the listing. Also coupled with pics taken outside an AutoZone would be a red flag for me. Save yourself the headache and find something else. What are you looking for?

jcollins03
12-20-2021, 06:17 AM
That's what I was going to mention, it says rebuilt title. Guess he failed to mention that during any discussion but updated the listing. Also coupled with pics taken outside an AutoZone would be a red flag for me. Save yourself the headache and find something else. What are you looking for?

Yeah, should’ve done more research and took the red flags into consideration. These things go quick so I rushed this one.

And honestly, looking for either a 2003-2005 zhp sedan, manual, alcantara, either blue or black ext. or, I know the forum will give me the side eye on this but also considering the 06 330i e90 manual. Haven’t driven either, but the ZHPs have turned into such a premium it may be more realistic to own an e90 unless I get lucky with a ZHP.

danewilson77
12-21-2021, 08:10 AM
I live in Liberty

danewilson77
12-21-2021, 08:11 AM
Owner just updated to rebuilt title… waste of time and thanks for everyone helping out. Appreciate y’all!

Copy