PDA

View Full Version : Shutting down quick after parking bad???

Dathaeus
03-07-2022, 09:27 PM
A mech told me that after I park, I should wait 5-10 seconds before cutting the ignition.

Is this true and if so what is the logic behind it?

san
03-08-2022, 06:05 AM
I’ve never heard of that. But it does usually take me a few seconds to turn off ignition once I park with my ritual that I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galapolis
03-08-2022, 08:09 AM
Some Germans like to cool down their engine before shutting off, just like you would warm it up before stressing it. But this has to be done a couple minutes before you shut the car off obviously.

san
03-08-2022, 08:22 AM
Some Germans like to cool down their engine before shutting off, just like you would warm it up before stressing it. But this has to be done a couple minutes before you shut the car off obviously.

I’ve heard of people needing to do that on old turbo charged cars after a spirited drive to keep the turbo from over heating. Not an issue on modern turbocharged cars. But as you said, it was idling for a few minutes rather than seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galapolis
03-08-2022, 08:53 AM
Yeah a lot of Germans I know are quite old fashioned. Wouldn't be surprised if they just carried that mentality over to newer cars.

az3579
03-08-2022, 03:56 PM
Waiting a few seconds before shutting off isn't necessary on our modern naturally aspirated cars, and even as san said, isn't even really a problem on modern turbo cars either.

t.er
03-08-2022, 10:35 PM
Yeah a lot of Germans I know are quite old fashioned. L

That shows in some of their business too lol

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
03-10-2022, 06:14 PM
I usually take a few minutes "cool down" i.e. just puttering around at 2k RPM after a spirited drive before I shut it off. Or just a few seconds after coming to a stop after driving normally, but that's just a habit more than anything.