PDA

View Full Version : Hit road debris. Totaled. Now what.

jason89i
04-04-2022, 11:42 AM
After a 4 month complete refresh of the zhp, I hit a semi retread tire at 400 miles later. After 7 years (~120k miles) Im really heartbroken. Sold the TS2+ car this fall. This was my 3rd zhp (over 250k miles logged in zhp's) and I expected to keep it forever. This was the keeper.... the car was hyper maintained. A lot of things were replaced "because I was there."

Now, the insurance company has totaled it and I am looking for advice.

1. Fix damage only. (front bumper, radiator, ps lines, undertray.) It will have blend marks....get over it. No out of pocket.
2. Fix damage, pdr 2 dents, repaint whole car. Will require out of pocket costs.... but I end up with a great car....salvage title.
3. Move on, dont look back. Find another zhp or e46m. Already have a 340i 6mt for daily duty.

Here she is as of now....

Maintenance records.........

sillieidiot
04-04-2022, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised it's totaled. That doesn't look like 4k of damage. At least considering price values of the cars now anyways, it would have to be around that much.

I would do a slightly modified option 1. Basically, only paint the front bumper. No blend with the rest of the car. Get someone to color match it as well as possible. The slight shade difference between plastic and metal is pretty much always there anyways.

Since you know the condition of the car and it's not damaged in any other way, I'd keep it.
But if you're really wanting a clean title car. Then option 3 lol Part out some of the mods and get as much as you can. For the next car.

I hope you're getting comps and getting the best value for the car.

Vas
04-04-2022, 01:10 PM
That's a fixer. Get it back on the road.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

jason89i
04-04-2022, 02:04 PM

my insurance company (whom ive been with for 30+ years) was not playing nice. none of their comps were zhp's. Their low ball offer (like 3k buy out) insulted me..... especially when you consider the work done in the last 1000 miles.

yea, i will probabily get it fixed. Im just unsure on how deep to go.
Part of me says walk away and start over with an e46m. BUT, I would loose my shirt on any sort of trade.
(I have 20k in parts alone on the "maintenance" list and the car was "done.")

fredo
04-04-2022, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear the news. Did you show the insurance company receipts for recent service and repairs ? They should consider that in their offer.

WOLFN8TR
04-04-2022, 02:54 PM
(I have 20k in parts alone on the "maintenance" list and the car was "done.")

Sorry to hear about the ZHP. If you have 20k in parts I would definitely keep it. It doesn’t look totaled, how does the other side look?

cakM3
04-04-2022, 03:18 PM
I'm surprised it's totaled. That doesn't look like 4k of damage. At least considering price values of the cars now anyways, it would have to be around that much.

I would do a slightly modified option 1. Basically, only paint the front bumper. No blend with the rest of the car. Get someone to color match it as well as possible. The slight shade difference between plastic and metal is pretty much always there anyways.

Since you know the condition of the car and it's not damaged in any other way, I'd keep it.
But if you're really wanting a clean title car. Then option 3 lol Part out some of the mods and get as much as you can. For the next car.

Sorry to hear about the ZHP. If you have 20k in parts I would definitely keep it. It doesn’t look totaled, how does the other side look?

I say keep the car, get it restored and then not worry about putting mileage on the car and enjoy the car. :thumbsup

It sucks that you hit that blown tire remains but as they say . . . shit happens. Very unfortunate but you can save this amazing car and enjoy putting on the mileage after you fix it.

John in VA
04-04-2022, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear the news. Did you show the insurance company receipts for recent service and repairs ? They should consider that in their offer.
In my limited experience, thankfully, USAA only considered expenses incurred in the past year.

johnrando
04-05-2022, 07:05 PM
So sorry to hear. Hope things work put. Seems like a keeper to me.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

jason89i
04-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Just got done chatting with the body shop.
Im taking it home to do the radiator (water pump etc while im there.)
They are ordering up the parts and will start in 2 weeks.
Im having them go over everything.

My shadowline trim has some flaking near the back. Spray, vinly, or new?

Thanks, J

san
04-12-2022, 05:03 AM
Just got done chatting with the body shop.
Im taking it home to do the radiator (water pump etc while im there.)
They are ordering up the parts and will start in 2 weeks.
Im having them go over everything.

My shadowline trim has some flaking near the back. Spray, vinly, or new?

Thanks, J

New if you are willing to spend. But since you’re at the body shop anyway, I’d consider spray…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADCLOWN
04-12-2022, 08:09 AM
Check eBay/other bmw forums, if you can source used but good condition that would be ideal

YoitsTmac
04-22-2022, 12:09 AM
Have you closed with insurance? In our family when we are unhappy with insurance, we remind our insurance that we pay them every month to support us when we need them in instances like this. We remind them that if they can't do this, perhaps it's time to change up insurance. At that point, they take a second look at the $0 they have had to pay out and that (in my family) we are risk-averse drivers, then they think about it again.

Sorry nonetheless. It's no secret I went through a similar experience. Unlike mine, you're definitely looks repairable which seems to be the route you're going down. Best of luck

GeorgeH
04-22-2022, 09:35 AM
If its a forever car who cares about the title status. Get as much money from insurance, fix and enjoy. Good Luck. :)

Bird-Dog
04-22-2022, 06:59 PM
my insurance company (whom ive been with for 30+ years) was not playing nice. none of their comps were zhp's. Their low ball offer (like 3k buy out) insulted me..... especially when you consider the work done in the last 1000 miles.
That sucks. I hate it for you. It's an eye opener for the rest of us, though.

I'm sure a lot of members here know already, but the best way to get a fair shake on these cars is to insure on an "agreed value" policy as a collector car. Grundy and Hagerty are the main players, AFAIK. As long as you have another daily and don't put a lot of miles on the ZHP you'll get better coverage going this route, and likely for a whole lot lower premium while valuing the car in-line with the actual market too.

jason89i
04-28-2022, 02:20 PM
......... an "agreed value" policy as a collector car. Grundy and Hagerty are the main players, AFAIK. As long as you have another daily and don't put a lot of miles on the ZHP ......

Ive been down that road. Most of those companies say you "cannot use the car to go to work."
Its a non-starter for me. I have a small business and Im always using the cars for work.
More loop holes for them to deny coverage.
I called a broker and shopping for everything.

If its a forever car who cares about the title status. Get as much money from insurance, fix and enjoy. Good Luck. :)

I will. I will. I will. But there is something about original paint and a clear title. Its just not the same.
J

jason89i
11-21-2022, 02:33 PM
After 10 months, she’s finally coming home. Spent a little extra time and money to get it right. Very anxious to take it for a drive.

BADCLOWN
11-21-2022, 03:13 PM
make sure to post up some after shots, congrats on getting her back!

cakM3
11-21-2022, 05:00 PM
Always good to see a ZHP saved from the junk yard or worse yet, a crusher. Even with a salvage title, they can still be amazing cars to own and drive. Only difference is you can now mod the crap out of your car without feeling guilty :) Now the fun of modding can begin :cool Enjoy your car :thumbsup

///Mark_D
11-22-2022, 08:34 AM
Glad to hear you're getting it back soon, can't wait to see how it turned out.

jason89i
12-12-2022, 01:19 PM
Always good to see a ZHP saved from the junk yard or worse yet, a crusher. Even with a salvage title, they can still be amazing cars to own and drive. Only difference is you can now mod the crap out of your car without feeling guilty :) Now the fun of modding can begin :cool Enjoy your car :thumbsup

I got an appraiser involved. Car was worth 16-18k. I was able to keep the clean title.

Glad to hear you're getting it back soon, can't wait to see how it turned out.

Its always something! It appears the inner fender liners (oe, with bmw tags) were missing the holes for the lower aluminum brace to bolt through. I had to disassemble, modify and reassemble. But its done.

PS, i found a silver e46 wagon near me. Anyone have a wrecked zhp? hhmmmmm.

jason89i
06-22-2023, 01:27 PM
I haven't driven the zhp much. Less than 500 miles in the last year.

This week, I spent the day with the zhp at the racetrack with my son.
Both of us in e46 330i's. Forgot how great these cars are!
Had a blast!

Obligatory 6am photo on the way to Blackhawk Farms raceway.

J

fredo
06-22-2023, 02:17 PM
Congrats, man! Car looks amazing.

cakM3
06-22-2023, 03:12 PM
Congrats, man! Car looks amazing.

+1 :thumbsup

S2Ace
06-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Beautiful! More pics!

BADCLOWN
06-23-2023, 04:58 AM
huge that you got an appraiser involved, sucks that you (generally speaking as well) have to do that to prove your cars TRUE value.

in KY, we have to pay taxes every year when we renew our registration and they put on the notification how much you owe based on your cars approximate value. This year, I owe like $40-50 bucks because they have valued my car at like $1200 dollars when in reality, mods and all is it sits I believe its worth in the range of $18-22k.

t.er
06-24-2023, 08:40 AM
Had to deal with this twice, and am now glad to have mine with Hagerty. But yes I do follow their rules and barely drive my car nowadays

RUS_ZHP
06-24-2023, 03:05 PM
I haven't driven the zhp much. Less than 500 miles in the last year.

This week, I spent the day with the zhp at the racetrack with my son.
Both of us in e46 330i's. Forgot how great these cars are!
Had a blast!

Obligatory 6am photo on the way to Blackhawk Farms raceway.

JYour car looks great!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

///Mark_D
06-27-2023, 06:59 AM
Looking great! Glad you were able to get it fixed and back on the road.

das boots
06-30-2023, 07:42 PM
Speaking of hitting road debris, this just happened to me today on my way back from LV to San Diego.

Saw a truck tire thread flying in the middle of freeway and I tried to avoid a direct hit by running over and damaging something under carriage like oil pan, transmission or what else. Unfortunately, by avoiding on last split second, it hit my right front tire and tore up the right front fender liner and knocked the fog light out of alignment and destroyed the fog light trim.

With so much semis delivery trucks running along the I-15, I thank the lucky stars that I really avoided the direct hit.

Thanks for listening.