PDA

View Full Version : Keep or sell? What to do when your ZHP is no longer your daily driver?

dpark
04-24-2022, 02:41 PM
Very strange, I thought I posted this already, but can't find the thread so posting again.

I am the original owner of a 2004 330i 6 speed ZHP. Car is bone-stock. About the only thing not original on the car are the kidney grills. The original silver ones literally fell out one day driving, and I replace them with black ones.

Was my daily driver since new, but is now sitting in a corner because she has been replaced by a Ford Bronco. Yeah, pretty big change in direction. I really love my Bronco, it has far exceeded my expectations and has now become my daily driver.

So the question is what to do with the bimmer? I have really only been a 1 car person my whole life, don't see the reason to keep 2 cars around.

For those where the ZHP was their daily driver and have now moved on to another car as their daily driver, what did you do with your ZHP? Sell it? Keep it? Split driving time between your 2 or more vehicles?

I have a couple of months before I need to really decide as car registration is due end of June. Even if I let it sit 90% of the time the car will only cost me $500/year for insurance+registration which falls into "don't care" territory for me.

I would just feel kinda bad to have a vehicle that still has a lot to give, just sit around. Anyway, interested in what others have done.

Oli77
04-24-2022, 03:02 PM
You are right that a car should not be left to idle, and sit around without being driven. That is a recipe for leaking gaskets, cracking tires, etc...
Keep it in the family (yours) if an opportunity is present.
I gave my car to my son. I still pay for him to keep it shinny and well-maintained.

fredo
04-24-2022, 03:16 PM
I bought my ZHP 7 years ago and it has never been my DD. I don't plan to sell it. My other car is a 335i with AT. I switch cars every month or so and enjoy the difference between AT and MT.

So, I vote to keep the ZHP.

dpark
04-24-2022, 03:35 PM
I bought my ZHP 7 years ago and it has never been my DD. I don't plan to sell it. My other car is a 335i with AT. I switch cars every month or so and enjoy the difference between AT and MT.

So, I vote to keep the ZHP.

My Bronco is also a manual (7-speed). Would not have bought it if it only came with an automatic.

So I still get my 3 pedal jollies with the Bronco, albeit not with the same acceleration or top speed.

phillipjfry
04-24-2022, 04:33 PM
I miss selling my ZHP. I think about buying another, but knowing it won’t be as clean as the one I sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

das boots
04-24-2022, 06:09 PM
I still have my '05 ZHP Sedan. It used to be my DD when I was in actively employed. Now retired.

But I will keep it. It is is under a car cover. Just doing my maintenance and upkeep. My cruiser car whenever I go to Vegas and back. But not lately. Gas is way too much. But I have to go for the 4th of July. It is my smog registration time.

Bottom line....It is really your call on what is the future of the ZHP with you. I just have a sentimental value on my ZHP.

fredo
04-25-2022, 09:12 AM
I voted to keep the ZHP.

sillieidiot
04-25-2022, 10:30 AM
Kept it. I still mod it lol Trying to "finish" it lol

san
04-25-2022, 12:05 PM
I’d say keep it since you said the registration and insurance costs don’t matter.

Keep it for another year or so and then decide. If every now and then you don’t feel the itch the take the zhp out then you won’t miss it when you sell.

3ZHPGUY
04-25-2022, 05:44 PM
I have a 2003 that I purchased on Saturday December 23, 2006. It was my DD until 2013, when the power steering started to act up. We were also living in the Tennessee hills at the time and needed to haul our garbage to the local county dumpster sites.

A pickup was in order for that time, for the garbage, a steep dirt road to our neighborhood marina and to tow a boat.

I kept the ZHP around and kept it current. I’d drive it to work, coffee n cars, cruise ins, club events. I moved to Alabama and did the same. Currently on my 3rd DD since taking it out of daily service.

Since the COVID hit, I’ve been working remotely from home, my wife also works from home.

It’s getting a few more miles this year because, the new cars n coffee location is a further drive.

It’s just a car thing to me and I enjoy the drive, keeping it clean and current and sharing what it is with folks that know and don’t know what it is.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk

BADCLOWN
04-26-2022, 06:37 AM
Keep it in the family at a minimum. Since I bought my current one 7 years ago, I put MAYBE a few thousand on it a year bought it with 89k and it’s got roughly 110k now) and it’s not driven during winter 3-4 months a year. It’s a secondary “fun” vehicle.

dpark
04-27-2022, 10:51 AM
I’d say keep it since you said the registration and insurance costs don’t matter.

Keep it for another year or so and then decide. If every now and then you don’t feel the itch the take the zhp out then you won’t miss it when you sell.

I am thinking this will be the path for me. I was pushing myself to make a decision before registration is due in June, mainly because (at this point) I really prefer driving the Bronco. But I don't know if that is just the "newness" of it or if I actually will still like it better 6 months from now.

I can say that with all the cameras on the Bronco, I am able to park this thing much easier than I would have every expected. Backing up into a spot is super easy with the backup camera and sight lines.

I will also reach out to family to see if someone would be interested in her.

bandwagn
04-27-2022, 06:30 PM
Good choice on the Bronco with the manual - it’s definitely a fun vehicle, but a different fun than the ZHP. If you can, keep them both around amd switch things up every once in a while - and you’ll have soemthig to drive while the Bronco is in the shop (for a lift, of course)

Duka
05-14-2022, 05:13 PM
I just bought a ZHP 6 Speed convertible as a weekend cruiser. I daily a 19 Porsche Cayenne S. I love the Cayenne but the ZHP is a completely different driving experience. I was also on the fence about having it as a second vehicle but I find that I take the ZHP out as often as I can and more often than I had expected. Keep it for at least a year to see if you end up using it more than you would expect. If not, them sell it.