PDA

View Full Version : I'm retrofitting iDrive 6 into my ZHP: Here we go!

YoitsTmac
08-19-2022, 10:00 AM
If you have an F3x of F2x and are willing to do some data logging, please send me a PM. I will mail you an entire kit.

Hey everyone! Oh man, this has been a hard secret to keep. I am retrofitting iDrive into my E46 and I can’t wait to share this journey with you guys. I also walked away from the project because getting recyclers to source pigtails was quite difficult. I figured a number of people will be interested in following this. As you can see in the video at the bottom of this piece, I have bought nearly every computer in an F30 so I can bench the entire system. There are some people who have attempted this on their own in E39’s, but only one or two into an E46. You can give this thing a wakeup code and it’ll be fine, but I want full integration.

Here’s what I know for certain:
⁃The headunit will not fit in the dash, it’s a width issue before you think about anything else.
⁃Those without navigation will have to have an extension harness all the way to the trunk
⁃The above point hardly matters because the display is the only thing that will be in the dashboard, so you’ll need an extension harness for that anyway. I will likely try to make a mechanism to give it a storage pocket behind the screen for my SUNGLASSES! Which is the one thing I have hated about my car having a navigation system
⁃The system will require a one-way communication emulator. It will read messages from the E46, but not ever send any.
⁃You’ll definitely need the screen from a Mini Cooper, a screen control panel from an F3x/F2x, the headhunt itself and the matching ATM. My emulator will make sure you don’t need anything else. There ATM emulators as well. The ATM is the GPS
⁃I already know the wake-up codes and the E46 codes I need to verify and confirm F3x codes.

Here’s things I have to learn:
⁃I’m not sure if I need something called the ICM. It raises the project cost by $100 so it’s not the worst, but this is an expensive project so $100 can hurt people following in my footsteps. Other people who do this retrofit this report GPS issues and I suspect it’s because of the lack of ICM. I suspect the car uses car sensors (speed, steering angle, car lean) and compares them against the GPS signal to avoid issues with roads really close together. We’ve all experienced it.
⁃How to mount the unit in the trunk
⁃How to mass produce connectors into the stock modules. Headunits are easier than more bespoke connectors like the ATM

Things I’m unsure about:
⁃If I can get BMW connected services working such as weather. I’m told this is largely out of my control. If fuel level was communicated over CANBUS, I’d also get this working as well. Unfortunately it’s an analog signal into the cluster.
⁃If the Mini Cooper screen will even fit. Basically if it doesn’t, I’ll go above the dash and this project will be avoided by most.
⁃How to make the buttons. I’m already well over my head. I have some contacts about mass manufacturing. I aim to have a volume knob, prev, next and at least 4 favorites (preferably six) that support capacitive touch previews
⁃How to mount the control stick. I think it’d have to go where the cupholders go. That’s not an issue for me, but it may be for others. I’m open to ideas on this.

Let me know what you guys think. If anyone wants to help and things they can, that’d be awesome. If anyone has an F30 they don’t mind tapping into PT-CAN for me and drive and do a few things while driving, that’d be awesome. I’d mail you an entire kit.

Video of everything I've bought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk5hmbWN7UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk5hmbWN7UE

cakM3
08-20-2022, 07:39 AM
I have been waiting for you to post this :cool

fredo
08-20-2022, 08:41 AM
This sounds interesting. I have a F30. What do you mean by "doing a few things while you drive" ?

YoitsTmac
08-20-2022, 12:17 PM
I have been waiting for you to post this :cool

It's been really hard to get what I need from recyclers unfortunately. It's also just "the right" time. I know, the big secret! I wanted to finish my research for this as well.

This sounds interesting. I have a F30. What do you mean by "doing a few things while you drive" ?
I just need certain actions to take place so I know how the car communicates said actions. Like, sit at 0mph turning the wheel hard left, then hard right. Turn your signal on, turn your lights on, hazards, reset trip. That's just to name a few. Hopefully these are otherwise normal behaviors. Nothing crazy like steering with your feed and pushing the pedals with your hands :)

BADCLOWN
08-30-2022, 04:45 AM
Pardon my ignorance here but question:

I was always of the understanding that a lot of BMW owners hated iDrive. My dad used to have a 2011 (I think) 550i and we jointly HATED the iDrive interface, layout, functionality, etc etc etc. IMO, carplay functions seamlessly. Are you just looking for a challenge in terms of retrofitting something that is factory or has iDrive gotten better?

san
08-30-2022, 06:45 AM

I was always of the understanding that a lot of BMW owners hated iDrive. My dad used to have a 2011 (I think) 550i and we jointly HATED the iDrive interface, layout, functionality, etc etc etc. IMO, carplay functions seamlessly. Are you just looking for a challenge in terms of retrofitting something that is factory or has iDrive gotten better?

The iDrive on the latest BMWs (lci f30s onwards?) is probably the best infotainment on the market, IMO at least.

But I’m not a fan of the newest iDrive 8 with a giant rectangular layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
08-30-2022, 12:37 PM

I was always of the understanding that a lot of BMW owners hated iDrive. My dad used to have a 2011 (I think) 550i and we jointly HATED the iDrive interface, layout, functionality, etc etc etc. IMO, carplay functions seamlessly. Are you just looking for a challenge in terms of retrofitting something that is factory or has iDrive gotten better?BMW owners for the most part hated the original iDrive that came out with the E65 way back in the early 2000's. That was hot trash. But the newer stuff, particularly starting somewhere around the early 2010's was actually quite good compared to other systems.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

pedro2u
08-31-2022, 08:29 AM
BMW owners for the most part hated the original iDrive that came out with the E65 way back in the early 2000's. That was hot trash. But the newer stuff, particularly starting somewhere around the early 2010's was actually quite good compared to other systems.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

+1 on the e65's iDrive. My first BMW was a 2002 745i (e65), the first year of the e65 lineup, which I finally sold after 14 years with 237K miles on it. It was an awesome mostly trouble free car for all those years, but the iDrive absolutely sucked. It was CD based and BMW did improve it several years later when they changed to a DVD platform. My 2011 M3 nav is outstanding in comparison

BADCLOWN
09-01-2022, 05:54 AM
well, that clarifies things a little. I've just never seen it/played with it. the last time I drove anything newer than an E46 was when I worked at the dealership prior to being a deputy and drove an E90 M3 for the first time. The iDrive was garbage in that. Best of luck on the project, its always interesting to see retrofits of newer tech in older cars.

fredo
09-01-2022, 10:21 AM
The 2009 or newer E90 models have this controller. It's really easy to use. My F30 has a similar one.

YoitsTmac
09-01-2022, 11:06 PM
Man I need to get my notifications working again...

As others have said, the early systems were about as enjoyable as war crimes. The newer systems are nice, such as the iDrive 6 unit I have. I enjoy the challenge and this is the first of many "one of a kind" projects I'll be working on. The iDrive screen will take up nearly the entire space in the center there without protruding, while most HU's require space for buttons on the left and right. I like the favorite buttons in iDrive. If you haven't used it, you hover your fingers over the number buttons and they serve as bookmarks. Hover to see what they do, tap to go to the shortcut, or hold to shortcut to what you currently are doing. I can be anywhere I need to be in the headunit at the press of a button. And if not, the iDrive controller is fairly intuitive and has five more favorite buttons. Still not enough? The screen is touch! The auto-brightness is great too (unlike my dynavin). If I thought there was room for a heads up display, I'd do that too.

The iDrive on the latest BMWs (lci f30s onwards?) is probably the best infotainment on the market, IMO at least.

But I’m not a fan of the newest iDrive 8 with a giant rectangular layout.

Well put. I am putting in iDrive 6 which I am personally a huge fan of. I actually took most of next week off too to spend time on this (and my fuel pump replacement). iDrive 4 in pre-LCI F3x isn't bad either, but iD6 is a pretty decent leap.

YoitsTmac
09-18-2022, 05:22 PM
Bench harness is almost together….

Fried_Chicken
09-20-2022, 08:51 AM
We don't know what that means man! Post pics!

YoitsTmac
09-23-2022, 06:32 AM
Alright. So all I need is power and ground right now. I just need to decide the best way to wire for that level of amperage. I used an E60 fuse box to protect all the computers from my stupidity, and need to do the fourth and final check on all my pinouts. I decided to go with the "just get it all connected" approach, and I think this image perfectly exemplifies how that makes me feel.

If I were to do it again, I'd sacrifice my self-love a little more and have some connectors mixed in here, but I chose pain, and that's where we'll go from here. Video will follow once it's powered up.

edit: I also am choosing not to add the OBD port yet because that's only needed for coding. That will surely need to follow fairly soon here, but most of these modules are from the same car and it should be fairly happy...aside from missing...doors, headlights, tail lights, the rear electronic module (have one though!), ABS and the engine computer...

YoitsTmac
10-13-2022, 11:55 PM
I had a work trip and then got really sick (not COVID). I just need to double check all my wires and then power this on, I'm really excited!

YoitsTmac
10-30-2022, 11:45 PM
Welp! I got the entire bench together, double checked all my wires with continuity tests, gave everything 13V and!!!!! nothing. Sigh. Reaching out to more F series specific forums on what I'm missing in my test bench.

YoitsTmac
12-25-2022, 03:10 PM
An old friend of mine has reconnected with me and has been more involved in helping me complete this project. I am away for the holidays but expect to have a fully working bench before the new year. It's kind of fitting, since last New Years Eve was the day I emulated my first CAN message. Big updates to come...