PDA

View Full Version : Freon Checklist

Dathaeus
09-08-2022, 10:44 PM
Last time my AC got lame some freon did the trick. But I want to know:

I assume refreshing the freon is super easy that even I can do it in under 10 minutes?
Is there anything subtle to look out for while doing it that an amateur might miss and screw up something?
Is there a check I should do before assuming it is freon?
How often do you guys replace freon in these e46? I think its been about 2 years for me, and I live in South FL so it is on every day pretty much

Is something like this for $40 ok?
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Synthetic-Conditioning-Refrigerant-Dispenser/dp/B007USCM7E

John in VA
09-09-2022, 10:17 AM
Unless you have a leak you should not need Freon. Overcharging the system can be a bad idea - you need to know how much (by weight) you have in the system before charging. Use the proper refrigerant.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/r-134a-a-c-pro-professional-formula-refrigerant.984512/

Fried_Chicken
09-09-2022, 03:27 PM
DO NOT USE THAT SHIT.

I fucked up my entire AC system using that shit.

DON'T.

Go to a place that has a machine, have them pull the freon, vacuum the system, and refill it with the right quantity and some oil. If your freon is low, it has a leak that needs plugging. Have them find it.

papa_g
09-09-2022, 06:21 PM
i know everyone says to vacuum and refill by weight, but can't you also use a proper manifold gauge and fill until you have the proper pressures taking into account ambient temperature and humidity? I think a lot of people do this and have decent results.

t.er
09-09-2022, 06:26 PM
lol, I'm gonna get so flamed for this but I also have a small leak. Once a year the passenger's side turns warm and the driver's side gets weak - one $20 can later and it's back to ice-cold. Been doing this once a year for the past 5-6 years without any hiccups. YMMV... definitely better to get it done with manifold gauges, but meh

Fried_Chicken
09-09-2022, 09:28 PM
If you trust that shitty gauge and shitty nozzle with your AC system, by all means.

One slip up and you'll have a whole shitshow on your hands though

Dathaeus
09-12-2022, 02:56 PM
lol, I'm gonna get so flamed for this but I also have a small leak. Once a year the passenger's side turns warm and the driver's side gets weak - one $20 can later and it's back to ice-cold. Been doing this once a year for the past 5-6 years without any hiccups. YMMV... definitely better to get it done with manifold gauges, but meh

LOL
My kinda solution but I know is not fundamentally sound... :thumbup

Galapolis
09-13-2022, 05:47 AM
I've had my car for 5 years now and have never needed to replace or top up refrigerant in that time. My AC still blows cold. You might want to check for leaks.

That being said, check the ChrisFix video, he did the DIY method on an E46 so you can see the exact steps which is nice.