View Full Version : Fitting M3 front sway bar using OEM endlinks

REF84
08-08-2023, 06:04 PM
I've seen mixed opinions on this so starting a thread. I'm looking for an upgraded front sway bar for my ZHP on stock springs/koni SAs. I have a junkyard Xi bar for the rear. The M3 coupe/vert bar seems to be one of the best most readily available bars that would match the stock suspension.

The problem is its curved differently that the stock ZHP sway bar, which causes the endlinks to twist (apparently). Like in this photo:

Those are Meyle HD endlinks (which is what I have currently), and an m3 coupe sway bar. I've seen lots of folks say they just swapped in m3 bars with stock end links and no problems, other say that they bind and bend on full lock. Is there an easy fix here?

Can I just get some cheap adjustable endlinks, or modify the Meyle HD ones in a way? Or just get another bar?

The cheapest new bar I can find is the ecs tuning 27mm one, not sure who makes it or whats the actual stiffness though: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/ecs-tuning-front-adjustable-sway-bar-27mm/007277ecs01a~ecs/

RUS_ZHP
08-09-2023, 10:56 AM
I have been running 26 mm front sway bar from M3 on both of my zhp for over 5 years. I am using stock Lemforder end links and have zero issues.
Not a long time ago, I upgraded to 27 mm aftermarket bar on of the cars. Direct bolt on and zero problems.
I hope this will help.

Also, it is a great upgrade in my opinion. I noticed a big difference when I first time changed the sway bar. Car is staying more flat, especially on the long 90 deg ramps that merger with the highway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

REF84
08-09-2023, 12:24 PM
I have been running 26 mm front sway bar from M3 on both of my zhp for over 5 years. I am using stock Lemforder end links and have zero issues.
Not a long time ago, I upgraded to 27 mm aftermarket bar on of the cars. Direct bolt on and zero problems.
I hope this will help.

Also, it is a great upgrade in my opinion. I noticed a big difference when I first time changed the sway bar. Car is staying more flat, especially on the long 90 deg ramps that merger with the highway.

Thanks @RUS_ZHP. What 27mm aftermarket bar did you upgrade to? You used the same end links when you upgraded to the 27mm bar? And they were in good shape?

t.er
08-09-2023, 03:46 PM
I have a 30/31 mm? Hotchkis M3 front stabar on stock Lemforder endlinks, no issue. Honestly I haven't kept up to date whether the BJ maxes out on articulation or not under any use, but if that repeatedly happens it would manifest as play in the joint and added NVH

RUS_ZHP
08-10-2023, 04:27 AM
Thanks @RUS_ZHP. What 27mm aftermarket bar did you upgrade to? You used the same end links when you upgraded to the 27mm bar? And they were in good shape?It is Racing Dynamics. Same deal as factory M3 sway bad - no issues during install.
I am not a big fan of aftermarket things. This sway bar was offered locally for $80 and decided to get it. If I will see a front bar from Z4 locally, I will get that, so I can stay OEM. Z4 is also 27 mm.