PDA

View Full Version : New ZHP Owner in LA

ScottB
05-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Hey everybody. Proud owner for a few hours now. Been lurking on this forum for a few weeks -- ever since I first drove a ZHP. I'll search threads for the stupider questions I have and not bug yall. :megaphone

2004 stock, it seems, silver-grey, with leather seats and steering wheel. I am so friggin thrilled. Taking my wife out for celebratory sushi as an excuse to drive it. Just wanted to say hi. Will post pic tomorrow.

billschusteriv
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Scott! Welcome aboard!

We're a friendly bunch and sort of the anti-forum experience. No need to do an exhaustive search for everything. We can always help point you in the right direction if the information you need is here or on another forum or website. Chances are, if you need the information, someone else could use it too.

Looking forward to pics and more info on your ZHP.

Enjoy the celebratory sushi - your mentioning sushi makes me want a double spicy tuna roll, seaweed salad, and can of Sapporo.

ScottB
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
ok. wife not ready. here's a pic i took 5 minutes after gettin home :roundel

ScottB
05-25-2011, 07:54 PM
thanks bill! i'll have a sapporo for ya and take some pix/ ask some questions tomorrow. after i pulled the trigger on this car i thought maybe i could stop obsessing so hard but i'm realizing it's just starting.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Scott, welcome. Glad you joined.

If you're interested in hanging out with some of us, we are having a ZHP Mafia meet on June 4 at crevier bmw's museum. Details in the California forum.

We've got a very friendly bunch here.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

billschusteriv
05-25-2011, 07:56 PM
thanks bill! i'll have a sapporo for ya and take some pix/ ask some questions tomorrow. after i pulled the trigger on this car i thought maybe i could stop obsessing so hard but i'm realizing it's just starting.

Thanks Scott! Nice pic - looks like a good score!

Sounds like a healthy enthusiasts obsession...nothing wrong with that...you'll fit in great here with the rest of us! :biggrin

Just noticed the ZHP wheels (Style 135s) are missing - you are rocking the Style 73s (which I love). Did the previous owner get rid of the other wheels?

kayger12
05-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Welcome to the Family.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

static667
05-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Welcome to the Mafia, Scott. Nice car you have there.

danewilson77
05-26-2011, 03:15 AM
We love Lurkers.

Welcome to the Mafia and congrats!

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Mtnman
05-26-2011, 05:54 AM
welcome. in for more pics. and a sapporro. tall please.

ScottB
05-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi Marcus,
Thanks!
I would definitely join you California guys June 4 except it's my birthday and having a small get together. At a sushi restaurant (I guess there's a theme here). I will check out the CA forum and look forward to the next one.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi Marcus,
Thanks!
I would definitely join you California guys June 4 except it's my birthday and having a small get together. At a sushi restaurant (I guess there's a theme here). I will check out the CA forum and look forward to the next one.

Scott, happy birthday.

There will be more get togethers.

Again, welcome to the ZHP Mafia forum.

johnrando
05-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Welcome! Like the wheels. I'm in the South Bay, so I look forward to meeting you in person sometime.

ScottB
05-26-2011, 07:33 AM
RIIIIIGHT! Sorry not exactly stock :)

I'm the 4th owner. I do not have service records. Pretty far from ideal, I know, and to make it worse, I got it from a dealership. I never in my life thought I'd buy a car from a dealership -- until I met this car. And dealership wasn't that bad. I ended up getting it for under 11,000 -- 95K miles -- knowing I then wanted to get the original staggered wheels -- and there are a few other things to fix (sunscreen under sunroof needs new clips). Dunno if she got her 90K service. I think in my head she's already got the 135's (!). Needs new tires anyway so I figured should get wheels at the same time...

So my car's 135s are long gone.

I'm on the lookout for 135s. Then tires.

I think I should drive the car the way God intended, with the 135s. But -- what performance difference would I feel vs these 17" 73s? I drive a bit quick, mostly in the city, I only put 3000 miles/year on my car (work from home) but really want her to hug the corners. I'm coming off a Miata which means 1) what I thought was peppy now feels like a toy, and 2) I'm used to hugging corners. (-- when I nearly bought a 328i last week I told my wife I loved the car but the color was a little feminine... she cocked her head and said: "But you drive a Miata...")

I'm turning 42 and have never been very knowledgeable about cars though I am learning... I have a 63 Triumph Spitfire I'm slowly fixing up (on the road and dead fun but needs interior and body work)... and I have a 76 Fiat Spider growing roots in my driveway I somehow can't part with... had the engine rebuilt 2 years ago... You'd think with those choices I'd know how to work on cars but I don't. You'd think I made a lot of money but I don't. I just kinda like what I like.

I drove another ZHP last week with 135s and I gotta tell you -- I didn't feel a big difference but I think I had my heart set on this car I bought yesterday and was biasing myself.

BTW you guys probably know but there's a dark blue 03 ZHP for sale by a really nice guy in Huntington Beach. 96,000 miles, asking 13,000 but can move a little... he's taken great care of it, 2nd owner. And he's a rocket scientist. Or, aeronautical engineer. Gotta figure he knows how to choose a car(!).

So, short kernel inside my long note here:

looking for 135s! Thanks!

ScottB
05-26-2011, 07:33 AM
that'd be great, John, thanks!

danewilson77
05-26-2011, 07:36 AM
that'd be great, thanks!

We have 135's for sale on the site.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2723-For-Sale-Style-135-BMW-wheels-painted-medium-grayish

Cadeez
05-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Welcome to the family Scott, nice ride. 135's FTW!

RITmusic2k
05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
BTW you guys probably know but there's a dark blue 03 ZHP for sale by a really nice guy in Huntington Beach. 96,000 miles, asking 13,000 but can move a little... he's taken great care of it, 2nd owner. And he's a rocket scientist. Or, aeronautical engineer. Gotta figure he knows how to choose a car(!).

Hah! That's my buddy Jay! We went to college together back in New York and now live out in SoCal with another dozen or so of our old school friends. He's the one who originally turned me on to ZHPs.

I was going to buy his car, back when he was toying with the idea of selling it a few months back, but he wasn't quite sure about whether he was really ready to part with it; in the meantime a great deal came up on the car I eventually did buy.

So, welcome to the forums, and congrats on a great ride! Are you at SpaceX also?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Hah! That's my buddy Jay! We went to college together back in New York and now live out in SoCal with another dozen or so of our old school friends. He's the one who originally turned me on to ZHPs.

I was going to buy his car, back when he was toying with the idea of selling it a few months back, but he wasn't quite sure about whether he was really ready to part with it; in the meantime a great deal came up on the car I eventually did buy.

So, welcome to the forums, and congrats on a great ride! Are you at SpaceX also?

So someone from the mafia needs to buy jay's car.

pleasecorrupt
05-26-2011, 09:19 PM
(-- when I nearly bought a 328i last week I told my wife I loved the car but the color was a little feminine... she cocked her head and said: "But you drive a Miata...")

can't let this not go acknowledged but.. :rofl

billschusteriv
05-27-2011, 05:07 AM

I wasn't trying to rib you about the wheels in my earlier post... I was just asking... IIRC Dane's ZHP didn't come with the 135s either. I think its interesting to hear the history/story of these cars...

I'm the 4th owner. I do not have service records. Pretty far from ideal, I know, and to make it worse, I got it from a dealership. I never in my life thought I'd buy a car from a dealership -- until I met this car. And dealership wasn't that bad. I ended up getting it for under 11,000 -- 95K miles -- knowing I then wanted to get the original staggered wheels -- and there are a few other things to fix (sunscreen under sunroof needs new clips). Dunno if she got her 90K service. I think in my head she's already got the 135's (!). Needs new tires anyway so I figured should get wheels at the same time...

@95k and without service records, there are some maintenance items you may want to consider very soon.

Not to scare you... but... a cooling system overhaul is a near necessity to minimize the chance of catastrophic system failure and potential engine damage. Some ppl here suggest doing it around 60k the first time. Newer expansion tanks/other plastic components are supposedly stronger and less prone to cracking.

This is not a ZHP problem... but an e46 (BMW 3 series 1999-2005/6) problem. When I bought my touring, the PO drove the car with a cracked expansion tank and warped the block (aluminum block+ heat = :(). So I suggest this hoping you never have to experience an engine loss and be without your car for any extended period of time.

Our cars are engineered very well... but have some components with known or expected lifetimes that should be considered for replacement as part of a planned maintenance schedule.

So my car's 135s are long gone.

I'm on the lookout for 135s. Then tires.

I think I should drive the car the way God intended, with the 135s. But -- what performance difference would I feel vs these 17" 73s? I drive a bit quick, mostly in the city, I only put 3000 miles/year on my car (work from home) but really want her to hug the corners. I'm coming off a Miata which means 1) what I thought was peppy now feels like a toy, and 2) I'm used to hugging corners. (-- when I nearly bought a 328i last week I told my wife I loved the car but the color was a little feminine... she cocked her head and said: "But you drive a Miata...")

No offense Scott - but that lady is a keeper! Epic quote right there!

I'm turning 42 and have never been very knowledgeable about cars though I am learning... I have a 63 Triumph Spitfire I'm slowly fixing up (on the road and dead fun but needs interior and body work)... and I have a 76 Fiat Spider growing roots in my driveway I somehow can't part with... had the engine rebuilt 2 years ago... You'd think with those choices I'd know how to work on cars but I don't. You'd think I made a lot of money but I don't. I just kinda like what I like.

I drove another ZHP last week with 135s and I gotta tell you -- I didn't feel a big difference but I think I had my heart set on this car I bought yesterday and was biasing myself.

We're all (mostly) amateurs here that share a similar passion... yet engage that passion differently. Some of us DIY our maintenance... some of us do not. We'll gladly share our knowledge amoungst ourselves... or point you to another forum or website where that information can be found.

I guess what I'm saying... is that no matter what your background is... you are welcome here. No time like the present to learn and engage other like minded individuals....

Good info!

So, short kernel inside my long note here:

looking for 135s! Thanks!

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2723-For-Sale-Style-135-BMW-wheels-painted-medium-grayish

+1.

ScottB
05-27-2011, 06:30 AM
"I wasn't trying to rib you about the wheels in my earlier post... I was just asking... IIRC Dane's ZHP didn't come with the 135s either. I think its interesting to hear the history/story of these cars..."
I know Bill, thanks :) Now my mechanic is telling me not to change the wheels... says unless I drive REAL aggressively I'd never notice a difference... hmmmmmm. A decision I'll have to make soon to get new tires...

Re: cooling system overhaul, great info thanks! I'm on it...

Re: Miata: yeah!:guns2 She's a keeper.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-27-2011, 06:31 AM

Definitely a good idea. It's the first thing I did when I got the car (and I had 57,000 miles on the car). Peace of mind.

billschusteriv
05-27-2011, 06:46 AM

"I wasn't trying to rib you about the wheels in my earlier post... I was just asking... IIRC Dane's ZHP didn't come with the 135s either. I think its interesting to hear the history/story of these cars..."
I know Bill, thanks :) Now my mechanic is telling me not to change the wheels... says unless I drive REAL aggressively I'd never notice a difference... hmmmmmm. A decision I'll have to make soon to get new tires...

Re: Miata: yeah!:guns2 She's a keeper.

ECS Tuning has two kits that identify all the parts you might consider replacing... I'd ask some of the others on here what they'd recommend. Both kits contain good items to replace.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/Cooling_System/

You may also be able to get the parts for the kit cheaper if you pull them up on http://www.getbmwparts.com by BMW of Silver Spring. This website generally offers everything at ~15-20% off retail or around what your mechanic gets the parts for at from BMW. Also helps to check here for prices if the dealer quotes you an outrageous price for a part.

People on here go both ways on getting parts... some will recommend BMW parts for everything... some will recommend cheaper will work just fine. I sort of straddle the line here... certain items I will buy BMW only... water pump for example.

If you have any questions, feel free to start a thread in Maintenance (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?20-Maintenance) when you are ready to pick up the parts... and we can help you research and point you in the right directions for the best prices on your parts.

Here's a good thread on finding parts if you want to get started...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1693-Links-to-get-parts.

RITmusic2k
05-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Turner Motorsport also offers a kit - they have an upgrade option to the Stewart high-flow water pump as well: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1987-e46-cooling-system-overhaul-kit-1999-2005-3-series.aspx

mimalmo
05-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Welcome.