PDA

View Full Version : Question about claybarring trim

Kudos
05-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Do I need to do any steps after claybarring the trim? With paint you have to use wax after obviously I can't wax the trim so do I protect it with something?

winning on my evo 4g

Johnmadd
05-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I just used more quick detail spray.

JohnnyGraphic
05-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Might be a stupid question...

I know what clay is supposed to do for paint, but what does clay do for the exterior trim (black)?

Johnny

Johnmadd
05-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Just for the window trim, the trim that would be silver on other bimmers. It takes the oil and water look and makes it look perfect black with no spots, discoloration, or hazing. Someone also showed that BMW has a service bulletin suggesting meguiars swirl removed will work also.

JohnnyGraphic
05-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Just for the window trim, the trim that would be silver on other bimmers. It takes the oil and water look and makes it look perfect black with no spots, discoloration, or hazing. Someone also showed that BMW has a service bulletin suggesting meguiars swirl removed will work also.

Thanks! Any effect on the black trim that goes around the mid section of the car? Ex: White stuff from polish/waxing?

spencers
05-29-2011, 07:39 PM
The chrome window trim? Yes, I usually run over it with the clay bar when I'm doing a full detail.

Thanks! Any effect on the black trim that goes around the mid section of the car? Ex: White stuff from polish/waxing?
I wouldn't touch that stuff with clay, polish, or wax. In fact, I'd suggest taping it off when doing a full detail. There's a product called Black Wow that works pretty well on that trim.

JohnnyGraphic
05-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I notice that the coupes don't have the black trim I'm thinking of, only the sedans.

Johnmadd
05-29-2011, 07:45 PM
The chrome window trim? Yes, I usually run over it with the clay bar when I'm doing a full detail.

I wouldn't touch that stuff with clay, polish, or wax. In fact, I'd suggest taping it off when doing a full detail. There's a product called Black Magic that works pretty well on that trim.

^This except I recommend Mothers brand "back to black" for the plastic trim that goes around the whole car.

Kudos
05-29-2011, 08:46 PM
I've used back to black and it faded after some rain or a wash. I think a member recommended using black wow

Would you recommend claybarring and doing detailing on the door trim that run along the length of the car? Mine color match the imola red but I don't know if its plastic or cam be clayed and polished and waxed.

winning on my evo 4g

Johnmadd
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't clay dat.

kayger12
05-30-2011, 02:30 AM
I've used back to black and it faded after some rain or a wash. I think a member recommended using black wow

Would you recommend claybarring and doing detailing on the door trim that run along the length of the car? Mine color match the imola red but I don't know if its plastic or cam be clayed and polished and waxed.

winning on my evo 4g

I just clayed, polished, and sealed mine.

No problems.

Appears to be the same paint and clear coat that's on the rest of the car.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

spencers
05-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Yeah, our coupes are fine, as our trim is painted and clear coated like the rest of the car

az3579
06-01-2011, 01:44 AM
What about for sedans?

kayger12
06-01-2011, 02:18 AM
What about for sedans?

Wouldn't think clay would do much for the sedan trim.

What say you, detailing gurus?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

spencers
06-01-2011, 05:12 AM
What about for sedans?

See post 6