PDA

View Full Version : Cult status: Now that we're having a ZHP Mafia meet in Virginia this week, have we reached it yet?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Marc Biunno, who wrote a column about ZHPMafia.com and BMWMafia.com in the June 2011 issue of Roundel, once wrote (on another Internet forum) that the ZHP could not be considered a cult car until there were gatherings dedicated to the ZHP-optioned E46 car.

Said Marc: To me, a cult car has to have gatherings dedicated to it. People need to get together just to ooh and aah at their exact same cars. They need to point out obvious things like, "Ah, I see you went with the hounds tooth interior; I went with the leather." As I said, maybe one day: "Ah, you went with the silver cube - mine's black. Nice red needles - I have those, too."

Satch Carlson, Editor-in-Chief of Roundel magazine, is already on the record as saying that the ZHP is a cult car.

Marc, what say you? Has the ZHP reached cult status yet? Or do we still have a ways to go?

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Total cult status. Wait until were online for a few years. Ima have to buy a bigger house.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

GMATT
06-06-2011, 04:31 AM
We are the Mafia!!!!!!!!!!!!:mob

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2011, 05:47 AM
When I think of cult status, I think E30 M3 owners. But, given time, I believe the ZHP owners will be seen similarly.

The difference, of course, is that E30 M3 owners are rallying around an entire car. We're rallying around an option.

It's fascinating to think about.

johnrando
06-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Not to mention we've already had West Coast meets just based on the car alone as well.

az3579
06-06-2011, 07:31 AM
When I think of cult status, I think E30 M3 owners. But, given time, I believe the ZHP owners will be seen similarly.

The difference, of course, is that E30 M3 owners are rallying around an entire car. We're rallying around an option.

It's fascinating to think about.

I've always seen the M3 as an option as well, only an option with much more goodies. It is still technically a 3 series with more performance based stuff, just like the ZHP is, only to a much larger extent.

If the M3 looked entirely different and was a different chassis, then I would consider it a different model.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Good point, BP.

And you're right. The M3 has A LOT more goodies.

zhpnsnv
06-06-2011, 08:15 AM
never mind - see below

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Looking forward to hearing from you, Marc. Maybe it's time for a column on the subject. Satch has weighed in. Your turn.

Your column can be about cult cars in general. How does one define that term? Which BMWs qualify for the status? Which BMW is likely to be the next cult car?

zhpnsnv
06-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Okay, upon further review I can say this: a car is not a cult car solely as result of its rarity. For instance the r53 jcw Cooper s gp had a run of 400. I don't think it's a cult car yet.

The zhp has a website, a reunion, and it commands a slightly higher price in some instances. It also has a 2-3 letter moniker, which is important since cult cars have nicknames (cuda, stang, vette, etc...). Further, the zhp has zhp-only options, most noteworthy being the alcantara interior. Even the m3s cloth interior isn't the same.

But a cult is a group of people so brainwashed into thinking something untrue is true that none of that matters; therefore, a cult car is a cult car if its owners are looney.

So perhaps I've revised my original thesis.

Expect a column on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Okay, upon further review I can say this: a car is not a cult car solely as result of its rarity. For instance the r53 jcw Cooper s gp had a run of 400. I don't think it's a cult car yet.

The zhp has a website, a reunion, and it commands a slightly higher price in some instances. It also has a 2-3 letter moniker, which is important since cult cars have nicknames (cuda, stang, vette, etc...). Further, the zhp has zhp-only options, most noteworthy being the alcantara interior. Even the m3s cloth interior isn't the same.

But a cult is a group of people so brainwashed into thinking something untrue is true that none of that matters; therefore, a cult car is a cult car if its owners are looney.

So perhaps I've revised my original thesis.

Expect a column on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc, aha! Glad to see that you've revised your thesis. We would hate to be looney :biggrin

We will be looking for the column!

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Actually.....based on zebra horsepower alone....its a cult car..hehe.

Thanks for all of the support and kind words both now, and in your article.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
We would hate to be looney :biggrin

Hmmmmm maybe I wasn't clear. If I've revised my thesis based on the idea that owners must be looney for it to be a cult car, then . . . :roundel

I just wrote the august column tonight on a different topic (deadline Friday, already had a flow goin' before this thread); I suspect the September column will have something to do with the shenanigans ensuing this weekend. So maybe October. Or, as Sean Connery might say, "Febtober!"

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Hmmmmm maybe I wasn't clear. If I've revised my thesis based on the idea that owners must be looney for it to be a cult car, then . . . :roundel

I just wrote the august column tonight on a different topic (deadline Friday, already had a flow goin' before this thread); I suspect the September column will have something to do with the shenanigans ensuing this weekend. So maybe October. Or, as Sean Connery might say, "Febtober!"

Sounds good brutha......waiting for febtoberary....

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

static667
06-06-2011, 06:25 PM
And I look forward to the column as well.

billschusteriv
06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Hmm... I wouldn't necessarily say a cult car would necessarily yield looney people. I believe that focuses a bit too much on the stereotype associated with various religious cults from the last century.

I like the definition in Webster...

5a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
5b : the object of such devotion
5c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Au2bahn
06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Got my Roundel today but havent opened it yet. Awesome!!! congrats Marcus

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
We sound like a cult based on the definition in Webster. :biggrin

Jon, thanks, sir.

sea6speed
06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
It pains me that y'all decided to have this meet down in the "real" Virginia a few weeks before I move. I can't believe I'm missing this, but with less than a month before re-locating back west it wasn't in the cards.

billschusteriv
06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
It pains me that y'all decided to have this meet down in the "real" Virginia a few weeks before I move. I can't believe I'm missing this, but with less than a month before re-locating back west it wasn't in the cards.

Sorry to hear you will miss the meet. Where back west will you be relocating? Maybe we can hook you up with some locals until the next big meet!

danewilson77
06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Its ok brutha. More opportunities to follow.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-07-2011, 05:46 PM
And it sounds as though something may be brewing in las vegas later this year.

danewilson77
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM

And I have 4-$100 vouchers from united airlines....mmmm.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

MrMaico
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Hmmm.......Road trip!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Yep. We'll be driving, too.

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I should drive to this one.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-08-2011, 02:24 PM
I should drive to this one.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

oooooh good. Swing north and pick me up?

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
oooooh good. Swing north and pick me up?

How far North bro.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-08-2011, 03:02 PM
ahaha I was kidding. I doubt I'd be able to attend something in Vegas unless it happens the week before new year's.

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 03:08 PM
ahaha I was kidding. I doubt I'd be able to attend something in Vegas unless it happens the week before new year's.

How far north?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-08-2011, 03:21 PM
From you, 5 hours if you're creative with your lane changes.

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 03:23 PM
From you, 5 hours if you're creative with your lane changes.

Copy.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Realistically, I'd split it for 2.5 so long as I could find a safe place to keep my car.

Actually - screw that - if we'd be taking your car, I'd drive all the way down! hahahaha that's only fair!

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
My plan here is to go North....via Montana....then drop down to Vegas. You in?

Although December in MT might require Blizzaks on the ZHP.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I've always wanted to drive x-country, so I'd definitely be interested so long as the dates work out and I have the vacation days handy, which I should. I'm okay with blizzaks on the ZHP if it means unbelievable drives/sights.

static667
06-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Vegas! I'll swing down the south way and pick up Lance and Alphatek.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-08-2011, 05:42 PM
The scuttlebutt is that we're shooting for an October Las Vegas meet.

Mtnman
06-08-2011, 06:17 PM
dont forget me, static!

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
The scuttlebutt is that we're shooting for an October Las Vegas meet.

I don't think Marc can make it in October.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Well, we will have to figure it out. Fact is, the east coasters would have to battle the elements during the winter. The west coasters would only have to deal with rain -- if anything.

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Yep.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-09-2011, 01:29 AM
I don't think Marc can make it in October.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Yea probably no chance on that. No worries - let the west-coasters do what's best for them and we'll see how it plays out.

az3579
06-09-2011, 02:50 AM
I've always wanted to drive x-country, so I'd definitely be interested so long as the dates work out and I have the vacation days handy, which I should. I'm okay with blizzaks on the ZHP if it means unbelievable drives/sights.

This!

danewilson77
06-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Yea probably no chance on that. No worries - let the west-coasters do what's best for them and we'll see how it plays out.

+1. Agree.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!