PDA

View Full Version : NOVA (Northern Virginia) wannabe owner

ELCID86
06-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Here to gain knowledge about my new dream car! I bought my son an '02 330Ci 5MT for a high school graduation present (well, that and earning Eagle Scout and getting and academic scholarship)--I'm still wondering what I was thinking... Anyway, I have been a rice-burner fan for years (own 2 Hondas and an Acura). I really like the E46 and how easy it is to work on. We have changed the tranny and diff. fluid, plugs, and fuel filter (car had 120k on it with very little maintenance history).

I'd really like to find an '05-'06 ZHP coupe in gray. Does anyone know why so many of the ones I see for sale have ATs? I'd think most coupe owners would want the 6MT.

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Welcome to the Mafia. You trying to bump me from coolest Dad on the planet spot? Lol.

Anyway......be sure to check out the ZHP's we list over at our registry at www.zhpregistry.net

Be patient. Manuals are plenty. One will turn up.

Good job on maintenance on the 5spd. Coolant overhaul, pulleys, brakes and suspension should come next, in addition to VANOS.

Www.beisansystems.com

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

ELCID86
06-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks Danewilson77. Yeah, from what I've been reading, the coolant overhaul was next on the list. He can't take the car to college the first year, so I'll be forced to keep in charged, etc by driving it periodically! I think we'll shoot for the coolant overhaul and perhaps other maintenance when he comes home for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks Danewilson77. Yeah, from what I've been reading, the coolant overhaul was next on the list. He can't take the car to college the first year, so I'll be forced to keep in charged, etc by driving it periodically! I think we'll shoot for the coolant overhaul and perhaps other maintenance when he comes home for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.

Sounds like a solid plan....including the part abou driving it. These cars typically don't do well when they sit around.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

ELCID86
06-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks. Hope you have a great event this w/e. Sound like fun. I may try to take him up to the E46 BimmerFest East in Aug before he leaves for school.

Any thoughts on the AT Vs. Steptronic? Which do you prefer>

Mtnman
06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Welcome! We have a lot of Virginia Members..

johnrando
06-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Welcome. Nice buy for your son! Good luck with the search. Not sure what your choices will be but most people tend to find theirs if they are extremely patient and have a wide search area. Hope you get it!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Thanks. Hope you have a great event this w/e. Sound like fun. I may try to take him up to the E46 BimmerFest East in Aug before he leaves for school.

Any thoughts on the AT Vs. Steptronic? Which do you prefer>

In the ZHP, the automatic and steptronic are interchangeable words.

It's all about preference. Some of us have commutes, in highly populated areas of the country, that make the Steptronic (automatic) desirable. Others prefer the 6MT regardless of the situation.

Therefore, you just have to get what makes sense to you. We don't get into the automatic v. 6MT debate around here too much. We know that it all comes down to preferences and circumstances. Our sites were featured in the June 2011 issue of Roundel magazine. This is what the columnist said about our members at ZHPMafia.com: "You will not be spoken down to if your car is an automatic. Imagine that!"

The columnist is correct. That's why I can only tell you that the ZHP is great is both formats. Get the car that is right for you.

Welcome to the site! Glad you joined.

johnrando
06-08-2011, 07:33 AM
In the ZHP, the automatic and steptronic are interchangeable words.

It's all about preference. Some of us have commutes, in highly populated areas of the country, that make the Steptronic (automatic) desirable. Others prefer the 6MT regardless of the situation.

Therefore, you just have to get what makes sense to you. We don't get into the automatic v. 6MT debate around here too much. We know that it all comes down to preferences and circumstances. Our sites were featured in the June 2011 issue of Roundel magazine. This is what the columnist said about our members at ZHPMafia.com: "You will not be spoken down to if your car is an automatic. Imagine that!"

The columnist is correct. That's why I can only tell you that the ZHP is great is both formats. Get the car that is right for you.

Welcome to the site! Glad you joined.

Great point by the author, and good points Marcus. My car is the lowest of all ZHP life forms, it's a STEP, a VERT, and chrome wheels. lol No one's ever said a thing in this forum. There are some forums where the disdain for chrome wheels is laughable. You know I always say to each his own. As KG alludes to in his video (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?983-Nough-Said-My-BMW-330-ZHP-Is-Not-Special-%28a-video-by-Kayger12%29), "I just like the perfect synergy...."

ELCID86
06-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the comments on the AT vs. MT, and I understand about preferences and ugly commutes. I live in VA and trek into DC 4-5 times per week ~ 45 miles up I-95. Thankfully I don't have to drive due to a phenomenon around here call slugging (www.slug-lines.com) which is like organized hitch-hiking. When I was making the trip down I-270 from Frederick, MD to DC, I did get rid of one of my '97 Accord MT for the '04 Accord AT I presently drive so my left leg could get a rest!
Glad everyone here seems to get along and is helpful/cordial. I'm on several other forums where the know-it-alls can't let noob mistakes, etc go and flame on them and other folks.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Right. We don't flame here. We don't attack here. We genuinely care about each other. We wouldn't treat you poorly in person, so we don't do it here.

As for the slugging thing, that's cool!

Here is the write up about our site here. The digital version of Roundel (June 2011) (http://roundel.imirus.com/Mpowered/imirus.jsp?volume=rd11&issue=6&page=106).

billschusteriv
06-08-2011, 12:30 PM
:hi

Welcome to the mafia!

I commute from PA to Gaithersburg, MD down the I-270 corridor with a 325Xi Sport Touring that has the steptronic transmission. Sometimes I miss the manual transmission and sometimes I don't. I used to make a commute from PA to Rockville, MD about 5 days a week with a 1990 325iS 5MT and loved it. It all depends on preference.

I also love the ease with which these cars can be worked on.

+1 on watching and waiting for your ZHP. ZHPs pop up on here routinely, it seems. Also if our forum members see them on other sites/forums, they will generally post the links here to help us out.

Looking forward to hearing more about your search and the maintenance on your son's car.

zhpnsnv
06-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Welcome! Ideally, you'd have the opportunity to drive the steptronic ZHP and the manual ZHP to find which one moves you. Chances are that won't happen. My preference would be to err on the side of the manual if you feel like there will ever be a chance that you'll regret not getting it. Maintenance of the auto doesn't sound like it'd be an issue for you since you're probably comfortable keeping fresh fluid in it.

I wanted an automatic car for my commute, so I got one. Two years later I absolutely regretted it. That was a +$20,000 regret because I had to go buy a ZHP to remedy it!:jawdrop:biggrin

static667
06-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the Mafia.

Keep searching for the exact car you want. Don't be afraid to travel for it and never settle just because you want a car now. Your work and patience will pay off in the long run.

kayger12
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the Family.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Johnmadd
06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Welcome. I came from coupes and still luv my e30 coupe, but don't rule out a zhp sedan. I love having an option to ride with more people and not having them scuff my stuff up.

ELCID86
06-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Welcome! Ideally, you'd have the opportunity to drive the steptronic ZHP and the manual ZHP to find which one moves you. Chances are that won't happen. My preference would be to err on the side of the manual if you feel like there will ever be a chance that you'll regret not getting it. Maintenance of the auto doesn't sound like it'd be an issue for you since you're probably comfortable keeping fresh fluid in it.

I wanted an automatic car for my commute, so I got one. Two years later I absolutely regretted it. That was a +$20,000 regret because I had to go buy a ZHP to remedy it!:jawdrop:biggrin

I think you are right in that I lean towards the MT even given the consideration of traffic in the DC area. I would not want to make that $$s mistake!

ELCID86
06-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Welcome. I came from coupes and still luv my e30 coupe, but don't rule out a zhp sedan. I love having an option to ride with more people and not having them scuff my stuff up.
Not a bad idea. My son says I can't drive a car that looks like his! Perhaps a sedan would be different enough!

danewilson77
06-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Not a bad idea. My son says I can't drive a car that looks like his! Perhaps a sedan would be different enough!

Suuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrreeeee.........

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

mimalmo
06-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Welcome