View Full Version : For Sale (SOLD): 2004 BMW 330 ZHP Performance Package sedan, silvergray/blk, 6MT, 35k miles, $18.5

aurelius
06-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Let the race to Vegas begin and remember, banks close early on Saturdays...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=301416651&dealer_id=66361897&car_year=2004&doors=&model=330I&style_flag=1&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&search_type=used&distance=0&min_price=&drive=&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&end_year=2005&make2=&certified=&engine=&origin=myatcemail&transmission=Manual&default_sort=&max_mileage=45000&color=&address=75201&LNX=ATCMYATCEMAIL&incremental=last_searched-1307419200000&max_price=&make=BMW&seller_type=b&cardist=1070&standard=false

Alphatek45
06-11-2011, 07:04 AM
O.0

Chernobyl Prize
06-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Why couldn't you be a coupe???

aurelius
06-11-2011, 07:11 AM
You wouldn't think so but...

Sedan = more structural rigidity vs coupe.
Sedan = lighter than coupe.
Sedan = lower drag coefficient than coupe.

Don't know about E90 but above were also true of the E36.

ELCID86
06-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Or have Alcantara interior...?

Chernobyl Prize
06-11-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm not saying I'm not tempted, but I'm holding out for a coupe. That seems to be a great car.

WilC
06-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I contacted the seller this afternoon and I haven't heard from him yet. This car seems very nice but in the pictures it looks like it doesn't have Xenon head lights, could that be possible?

PS: Same color as my wife's ZHP, would it be cool or uncool if we both had the same car with the difference being the trans?

pleasecorrupt
06-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I contacted the seller this afternoon and I haven't heard from him yet. This car seems very nice but in the pictures it looks like it doesn't have Xenon head lights, could that be possible?

PS: Same color as my wife's ZHP, would it be cool or uncool if we both had the same car with the difference being the trans?

It's all good, just mod tastefully and make yours 10x better looking than your wife's. (you can even swap out any curb rashed wheels off yours and put hers on. harhar)

Marcus-SanDiego
06-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Very possible. Xenons were an option. Not standard.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

aurelius
06-12-2011, 06:05 AM
Same color as my wife's ZHP, would it be cool or uncool if we both had the same car with the difference being the trans?

Man, that's a tough call. If you are car-less at the moment or coming up on a lease return and you're looking at renting something if you don't move quickly, I say do it.

If there's no rush, I would keep looking. Variety being the spice of life and whatnot.

And it doesn't hurt that these cars look good in any exterior color. There are no pariah ZHP paints like Phoenix Yellow or Laguna Seca Blue (e46 M3).

It may be a moot point, tho. ZHP's with low mileage are getting harder to find and this one may already be sold or at least in the works. You hear from the seller yet?

WilC
06-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Good point. I'm not in a rush so I could wait to find "the one" I want (white, silver, or black, in that particular order with a 6 spd gearbox).

If I hear from the seller, I will update the post with details. Thx.

WilC
06-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Spoke to the seller; in deed, no Xenon headlights, which is a must for me so I'm out.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Yeah. I hate that my car doesn't have xenon lights. I'm gonna have to put some on at some point.

Alphatek45
06-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah. I hate that my car doesn't have xenon lights. I'm gonna have to put some on at some point.

You and me both! I always hit a brick wall when looking into my options. No clear choice. Bothers me daily.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-13-2011, 09:21 AM
It just hasn't risen to a priority yet for me. When I finally get around to it, it will happen fast.

zj96sc
06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
saw this one on my searches. no xenons is a bummer. read a little on the retrofit....doesn't sound super fun?

midlandtech
06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
i like it but I am partial to that color :thumbup
18.5 seems high even given the low miles mine is basically the same car with more options but more miles and i spent over 3grand less... is the low miles worth the extra scratch?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-13-2011, 12:24 PM
saw this one on my searches. no xenons is a bummer. read a little on the retrofit....doesn't sound super fun?

Retrofit does not seem very fun, either.

WilC
06-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I think it comes down to how well the car has been taken care off. Low miles doesn't mean much if you track the car every weekend and never chain the oil.

What is a good price for a ZHP, I always thought it was something between KBB value and Edmunds.com value?

i like it but I am partial to that color :thumbup
18.5 seems high even given the low miles mine is basically the same car with more options but more miles and i spent over 3grand less... is the low miles worth the extra scratch?

BimmerRules!
06-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Why couldn't you be a coupe???

Did you see the '06 listings? There is a coupe listed with low mileage but high price.

BimmerRules!
06-20-2011, 07:09 AM
I think it comes down to how well the car has been taken care off. Low miles doesn't mean much if you track the car every weekend and never chain the oil.

What is a good price for a ZHP, I always thought it was something between KBB value and Edmunds.com value?

Actually a FYI and follow-up queries to your queries :) (that I hope other experts can shed some light on):

FYI that the car is still available; the seller left me a vm yesterday (6/19/11)

My queries:

(1) though I agree that maintenance is primary, does a 35k mileage car need that much more maintenance than its scheduled ones? That said, I realize that this is a '04 make and hope that the oil was changed at least once a year.

(2) Interesting insight to estimate ball park prices to be between kbb and edmunds. Is that what others follow?

Thanks!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 07:27 AM
I actually do not follow kbb and edmunds when it comes to valuing ZHP-optioned cars. We have so many threads on this site -- and we have the what did you pay for your ZHP thread -- that I use those to gauge prices. Mine is not scientific. And there is definitely some art to it. It's not for everyone. :biggrin

BimmerRules!
06-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Plus, 'value' is something that will differ between each individual depending on their needs at the time of the purchase. So, certainly agree with presence of an 'art' to the valuation.

I am planning to ask the following queries to the seller (before deciding on the price because I have to factor traveling from NY to LV and also doing a PPI there).

(1) Service records to check history and last service
(2) Single owner or multiple?
(3) car been tracked or taken to auto-x?
(4) Any accidents or issues?

Anything else? Would greatly appreciate any pointers to other issues that I should get clarified on the phone.

Thanks!

aurelius
06-20-2011, 08:49 AM
I am planning to ask the following queries to the seller (before deciding on the price because I have to factor traveling from NY to LV and also doing a PPI there).

(1) Service records to check history and last service
(2) Single owner or multiple?
(3) car been tracked or taken to auto-x?
(4) Any accidents or issues?

Anything else? Would greatly appreciate any pointers to other issues that I should get clarified on the phone.

I haven't searched but I would have to assume there is an E46 buyer's checklist out there somewhere.

Meantime, ask seller if he has all 4 keys (2 masters, valet key, and the little plastic "wallet" key). It is amazing how many sellers, including original owners, do not even have both master keys.

Condition of tires is also an E46 wild card item in terms of how much you'll actually spend, especially on models with 18" wheels.

At that mileage and with the exception of tires, nothing is likely to be in immediate need of attn., barring any damage aftermath. Only things I'd do on a preventive basis at that mileage would be motor, trans, & diff oils. Maybe also interior blower motor resistor, engine serpentine belt plus its idler pulley (if not already done). I would also replace the CAB's within the next 10k.

Also, get all the records, even if it means the seller goes to the dealer or his indie shop for reprints. Dealerships are not allowed to print old service records for new owners (privacy implications). If seller bought car post-warranty, he like you will not be able to access past dealer service records.

In practice, if you know someone at a dealership, you might be able to get the old records.

Lastly, budget as you must but do yourself a favor and keep your travel budget out of the negotiations. Seller has it FS locally on craigs and although I'm sure he would welcome a national buyer pool, he certainly isn't looking to subsidize it. You'll stay on much better terms this way.

One way to avoid travel is to have a PPI done and then have the car trucked to you. You arrange the PPI, you pay for it so that you are the customer and the shop answers to you. Best done at indie BMW-specific shop with relevant electronic diagnostic tools (Modic/GT1 or Autologic). FWIW, there will almost certainly be stored fault codes, which doesn't necessarily mean anything bad.

Travel or not, have a PPI done, if only for peace of mind.

bimmershops.com
bimrs.org
dasautoshippers.com

PS: "always dealer serviced" is a common descriptor in BMW for sale ads. The translation of which, unfortunately, is that virtually no preventive maintenance was ever performed. Even when brought in for a repair of some sort under warranty, customer has to request service items and most owners do not know you can claim a free annual motor oil change even if you never drove the car at all, not to mention a brake flush at 2 years and a coolant flush at 3 years. Intervals being from date of manufacture. Therefore and even without an ext'd service contract, any given late model BMW was at one time eligible for 4 oil changes, 2 brake fluid flushes, and one coolant flush. But very rare is the car which received such service.

BimmerRules!
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
I haven't searched but I would have to assume there is an E46 buyer's checklist out there somewhere.

Awesome!!

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, quite helpful.

I never thought about the keys and yes, I intend to get a PPI done if I decide to close the deal. Great tip on keeping the travel budget out of the negotiations. Will certainly keep that in mind. :)

And lastly, thanks for the links you provided. Getting the car shipped would be very convenient and it is something I plan to pursue once I decide. Appreciate all the pointers!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 09:59 AM
I agree with Mark about keeping the travel costs out of the negotiations.

When I was on the prowl for my ZHP I never mentioned the travel costs to my seller. It wasn't his problem.

However, I did factor it in my overall cost of acquiring the vehicle. Similarly, I factored registration, taxes, etc., in the overall cost too. So, my $19,000 vehicle, with all costs factored in, came to about $23,000. I paid cash for my car, so it meant more to me to factor all costs in. It was all leaving my bank -- immediately.

aurelius
06-20-2011, 10:41 AM
It was all leaving my bank -- immediately.

Amazing how that tends to focus one's priorities and negotiating skills vs the more abstract monthly payment method.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Correct. Your negotiating tends to be more focused and sharp when you're using your own money (right away) instead of the bank's money (that you pay back over the long haul).

And one more thing that I forgot to say in my previous post. My ZHP had 56,700 miles on it when I bought it. I knew that I would be doing preventive maintenance on it right away. That was more money that I factored into the car. But, again, I would not burden the seller with my analities. But it's yet another factor that a buyer should consider when he or she buys a car.

BimmerRules!
06-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks Marcus. I spoke to this seller, who seemed quite nice. Looks like he recently completed Inspection I and has new tires. He's the second owner and this is part of his family's four vehicles that he's trying to cut down.

I expressed interest and requested him to reprice the car because I thought even kbb had it pegged at a lower value. As others mentioned, the car doesn't have xenon or I don't think it has premium package.

I also disclosed that I am in touch with another zhp seller from NH - closer to me - for a '05 vintage with 88k miles but offered at 15k.

Plan to call him tomorrow to follow-up. The low miles on it is tempting me to pull the trigger quickly and I am forcing myself to remember that I am in no hurry. :)

Related query: do the '05 and '06 zhps have any significant improvement over the '04 zhps? If yes, I might hold off and wait for a low mileage '05 or '06. Thanks in advance!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 02:41 PM
I am not aware of any significant changes that the 2005 and 2006 ZHPs have over the 2004 ZHPs. The facelift for coupes and convertibles came in 2004, so there shouldn't be any differences between the 2004 and 2005 & 2006 cars.

In 2002, the sedan got its facelift. The 2003-2005 sedan, therefore, did not change looks during the ZHP run.

The HP and specs remained the same from 2003-2006 (the entire ZHP run).

So, the only reason you might hold out for a 2005 or 2006 is that you are looking for a newer car.

aurelius
06-20-2011, 03:02 PM
35k vs 88k, Southwestern desert vs Northeastern salt, for a mere 3 grand price premium? Call me crazy but seems to me that's the definition of a used car no-brainer.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Yep. I'd take the 35K car for $3K more. That's a 53K mile differential. If I was choosing between those two, I'd be in Las Vegas.

zhpnsnv
06-20-2011, 04:49 PM

Am I missing something? Looks like your car has xenons to me. ?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
My car has projectors -- with halogens.

I thought the same thing when I was buying the car. I was surprised to find out they were halogens.

mimalmo
06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
All this talk about the car not having xenons cracks me up since most sedans have the ZKW's with the burned out bowls. I'd rather start out with good halogens, knowing that I could upgrade to xenons at a later date with Lightwerkz versus the bunk OEM ZKW's.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah. I have ALs. No ZKWs here.

BimmerRules!
06-21-2011, 05:16 AM
35k vs 88k, Southwestern desert vs Northeastern salt, for a mere 3 grand price premium? Call me crazy but seems to me that's the definition of a used car no-brainer.

Thank you! That's what I thought first but turns out that the '05 car is currently in NH but apparently spends all winters in FL. Trying to ascertain if the current owner is the first. The Vegas car on the other hand already has two owners. Hence my caution.

Yep. I'd take the 35K car for $3K more. That's a 53K mile differential. If I was choosing between those two, I'd be in Las Vegas.

Thanks Marcus. Here is my thought process:

I bear in the earlier guidance about how I shouldn't factor my location when negotiating the price of the car. But as you pointed out, it will certainly be a factor when considering the total cost of the car to me. I would certainly need to fly in to check out the car and my lovely lady will not trust me alone in Vegas and will insist on joining. ;) For transporting the car: I am tempted to try out the adventure of driving back to NY/NJ if the car is fine. Or, I can ship it using the helpful links the other member provided. Either way look to add another ~$500 towards flight plus another ~$1000 towards shipping/return flight or close to the same once i factor fuel, hotel etc. So, looking close to $20k for the car.

Whereas, the NH car is relatively a short ride away and a newer vintage and the owner mentioned about an extended warrantly (have inquired more about it but not yet heard back). In any case, I have a local trusted BMW trained mechanic that I can take along. Though it has more miles, I am a w/end driver and plan to use this more for auto-x and rare tracks. More importantly, if I am not that caught up with the stick shift and want to sell it in a short period, I think I will incur less loss with this $15k '05 vintage with 95k miles (assuming I put in 6k miles this year) than the nearly $20k '04 vintage with 40k miles.

As I write this out, I realize that I forgot the cost of preventive maintenance irrespective of the extended warranty: the '05 vintage will probably need a lot right off the bat especially if they have performed only oil changes after the 4 yr/60k scheduled maintenance. And, if I decide to keep it, it will cost more since I intend to follow old school maintenance. Whereas, the Vegas one has some miles to go before this kicks in. That would give me ample time to decide if I can keep the car.

Hmm...glad that I wrote this out because it helped me frame the decision making process properly. :)

Please feel free to point out if I missed anything.

Thanks again aurelius and Marcus! (Wow...feels like I am in the Gladiator movie. :D)

Marcus-SanDiego
06-21-2011, 07:40 AM
First, your post only could have been improved if you had said: thanks again, Marcus and Aurelius. That would have been pure win. Hehe.

Second, I enjoy your critical thinking. You really don't need us any longer. You've now narrowed the issues down. It's just a pro and con situation now.

Good luck with whatever you do!

aurelius
06-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm shocked this all hasn't become a moot point with the Vegas ZHP, assuming it is indeed still available. If it is, you have to assume the seller is a little flexible on price. Putting the Vegas ZHP even farther ahead, IMO.

Also, it ain't the age, it's the miles.

Not to mention where those miles were driven. The 2 examples in question here could be a week apart, age-wise. Even if they're a year apart, who cares? If the one in Vegas has been out of the sun and assuming it didn't spend its first 6 years parked outside in downtown Detroit, set up your PPI and make it happen.

BimmerRules!
06-21-2011, 02:17 PM
First, your post only could have been improved if you had said: thanks again, Marcus and Aurelius. That would have been pure win. Hehe.

Second, I enjoy your critical thinking. You really don't need us any longer. You've now narrowed the issues down. It's just a pro and con situation now.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Good point on the first observation General. :)

On the second: You and the other members have been awesome right from the welcome stage to answering many questions in various threads. Doubt if I let you guys go so easily. :D Just kidding.

I spoke to the seller and indicated my interest. In fact, negotiated the price to a lower level. I know I should be happy but the easy way he agreed to it without much push back makes me wonder. (that's my natural suspicion though with anything involving money especially if I am the one parting with it. :))

But then he mentioned that though the car has a clean title, it's with the bank whose loan needs to be paid off.

So, not thrilled about it. Got to research this and decide.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, that's not too unusual (dealing with a lienholder). I was fortunate to deal with an owner who owned the car clean and clear. I literally handed over a cashier's check and he signed over title to me. Took less than 20 minutes. So I do understand your reluctance to deal with a third-party lienholder.

As for the lower price, and you working it down, there could (as you know) be a number of reasons for it. He could be desperate to get out from under this loan. Plus, your lower price may still be enough to easily cover the note. Trust me, I am as skeptical as the next person, but that's not something I would stress over too much. But that's me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you eventually pick up.

BimmerRules!
06-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback Marcus (or should I call you Spaniard? :)).

I am still researching into the best way to arrange the transfer of title considering that I want this to be done during the July 4th w/end and he's moving out of Vegas to Idaho in late July.

Ideally I would fly there next Friday, get the PPI done in the morning and if everything is fine, go with him to his bank, hand over the certified check and get the title.

However, not sure if the bank (Wells Fargo) can arrange to send the title to a local branch by next week because he took the loan from their branch in CA.

He also mentioned that he bought his truck in a similar manner and that the seller's bank mailed him the title in 2/3 weeks. That will work if buyer and seller are local and buyer can have control over the vehicle once payment is made. Since i need to transport it back to NY and can't fly back to Vegas just to arrange it, I don't think that will be feasible. More research required.

Irrespective of whether I buy this car or not, I am enjoying this research because I am learning a lot. :)

Marcus-SanDiego
06-22-2011, 06:34 AM
BR, I have a Portuguese heritage, so you cannot call me Spaniard. :biggrin

I would rearrange your order of business: get a PPI done sooner rather than later, call Wells Fargo and get the procedure for lien and title release, fly to Las Vegas (assuming PPI went well and assuming you can live with the bank's procedures), hand over certified check.

My point is that July 4 is fast approaching. Get that PPI arranged as soon as you can.

aurelius
06-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Ideally I would fly there next Friday, get the PPI done in the morning and if everything is fine, go with him to his bank, hand over the certified check and get the title.

However, not sure if the bank (Wells Fargo) can arrange to send the title to a local branch by next week because he took the loan from their branch in CA.

Since i need to transport it back to NY and can't fly back to Vegas just to arrange it, I don't think that will be feasible. More research required.

Save yourself time, hassle, & delays:

1. find a BMW shop, coordinate with the seller, and have the PPI done before you ever leave home.

2. don't worry about the title. If you do the deal at the bank, just keep your paperwork and make sure WF has your correct mailing address. You'll have the keys & the car.

3. find out if your state requires a bill of sale. Either way, I'd bring one pre-filled where applicable and have seller sign & date. If you need one, PM me your email and I'll send a template.

4. also get (download?) your state's application for title transfer and see if any seller signature is required there.

5. avoid surprises: call NV's DMV or look up online to see what NV requires in terms of plates. Is seller required to turn them back in? If so, ask seller to let you use them for the road trip and you'll send back via mail.

6. bring & use a radar detector. One speeding tkt and you blow the "economics" of going to get the car yourself and driving it back. Tickets aside, there is still a strong argument for transport via truck but if you're simply up for a road trip, go for it.

7. bring & use a tire pressure gauge.

BimmerRules!
06-22-2011, 12:05 PM
BR, I have a Portuguese heritage, so you cannot call me Spaniard. :biggrin

I would rearrange your order of business: get a PPI done sooner rather than later, call Wells Fargo and get the procedure for lien and title release, fly to Las Vegas (assuming PPI went well and assuming you can live with the bank's procedures), hand over certified check.

My point is that July 4 is fast approaching. Get that PPI arranged as soon as you can.

Great Geral! (Hope you caught that one that nods to your Portuguese heritage :biggrin ; I am now convinced that I should change my screen name too...let's see. :) )

I need to act soon if I am serious about July 4 because the airfares are already at a high level due to the holiday w/end. But, need to get the PPI done first.

Query on PPI - the seller said that he recently finished the Inspection I and that included changing the CABs and replacing some sensor; think he mentioned that this was done at the BMW dealer there. If so, is it better getting the PPI done at an indy place there instead of the same dealer who had just performed the Inspection 1? Please let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks!

BimmerRules!
06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Save yourself time, hassle, & delays:

1. find a BMW shop, coordinate with the seller, and have the PPI done before you ever leave home.

2. don't worry about the title. If you do the deal at the bank, just keep your paperwork and make sure WF has your correct mailing address. You'll have the keys & the car.

3. find out if your state requires a bill of sale. Either way, I'd bring one pre-filled where applicable and have seller sign & date. If you need one, PM me your email and I'll send a template.

4. also get (download?) your state's application for title transfer and see if any seller signature is required there.

5. avoid surprises: call NV's DMV or look up online to see what NV requires in terms of plates. Is seller required to turn them back in? If so, ask seller to let you use them for the road trip and you'll send back via mail.

6. bring & use a radar detector. One speeding tkt and you blow the "economics" of going to get the car yourself and driving it back. Tickets aside, there is still a strong argument for transport via truck but if you're simply up for a road trip, go for it.

7. bring & use a tire pressure gauge.

Aurelius, This is AWESOME!! :) Thank you very much. Excellent check-list that probably should be a sticky for those buying from individuals.

I am leaning towards transporting it via truck at this stage. Will certainly do everything you suggested in case I change my mind.

THANKS AGAIN!!

billschusteriv
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Nice! Glad to see some progress towards a family member acquiring this ZHP!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I personally prefer having the PPI done at an indy shop. One, it's cheaper (usually). And, two, I just don't trust dealers to be thorough enough.

BimmerRules!
06-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Marcus Geral, can't keep up thanking you for your prompt feedback! :) Much appreciated.

I'll try to contact an indy shop from bimrs and also coordinate with the seller.

But before that, I better get the VIN # and do the accident check using the link that you provided.

Thanks again Marcus!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Haha. Geral. Nice. Just call me amigo.

I'll put the word out to my guys and see if they know a Las Vegas indy shop that they trust.

BimmerRules!
06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm shocked this all hasn't become a moot point with the Vegas ZHP, assuming it is indeed still available. If it is, you have to assume the seller is a little flexible on price. Putting the Vegas ZHP even farther ahead, IMO.

Also, it ain't the age, it's the miles.

Not to mention where those miles were driven. The 2 examples in question here could be a week apart, age-wise. Even if they're a year apart, who cares? If the one in Vegas has been out of the sun and assuming it didn't spend its first 6 years parked outside in downtown Detroit, set up your PPI and make it happen.

Yessir!! Surprised I missed this post Aurelius. Thank you for reminding me not to miss the woods for the trees. :)

My next step - before my next post here - is to check the vin using the link on our site, then find a reputed indy shop there to do the PPI.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Also, if anyone knows of a good indy shop in Las Vegas, chime in.

I haven't received a recommendation yet.

BimmerRules!
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I looked up the vehicle history using AutoCheck and posted my query as a separate thread under 'general':

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3484-Vehicle-history-concerns&p=74682#post74682

Odometer record raises questions and I am surprised that AutoCheck still gave it a green light. Maybe I should speak to someone there to get some clarification.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Maybe I should speak to someone there to get some clarification.

I'd like to hear why they make that notation.

jimiden
06-22-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm interested a zhp sedan. How can I contact you?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Jim, we do not know the owner of this car. We simply posted the for-sale thread here. The seller is not a member of our site.

I've removed your phone number for privacy reasons (and since it is not needed).

You can email the seller by clicking the following link (email form when you get there): http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=301416651&dealer_id=66361897&car_year=2004&doors=&model=330I&style_flag=1&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&search_type=used&distance=0&min_price=&drive=&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&end_year=2005&make2=&certified=&engine=&origin=myatcemail&transmission=Manual&default_sort=&max_mileage=45000&color=&address=75201&LNX=ATCMYATCEMAIL&incremental=last_searched-1307419200000&max_price=&make=BMW&seller_type=b&cardist=1070&standard=false

BimmerRules!
06-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Aah! Possible that the earlier poster contacted this seller in Vegas and arranged to come this Friday and buy the vehicle paying cash.

Though the seller and I agreed on the price and are working out the logistics and the next steps, seller is now in a bind and called me last night to give this update.

BimmerRules!
06-23-2011, 06:38 AM
UPDATE: just spoke to my contact at a BMW dealer who looked up the car. He said that the first time the car was at a BMW dealership for service was in November 2006 when the odometer was 15k.

Whereas, autocheck's miles (as I posted in the other thread) says 20k in Jan 2009, then declines to 16k in March 2009 and subsequently starts to increase to the current 34k.

Since the main selling point of the car was its low mileage, which in my opinion is now a bit suspect, I am going to walk away from this.

Sad because I was hoping to share the entire experience of becoming a new zhp owner with this board. Well, in no big hurry and what's meant to happen will happen. :)

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIMELY THOUGHTS AND SUGGESTIONS! Fantastic help to fellow members, especially by Marcus. :)

Greatly appreciate it and I am going to try to doing the same to the other members provided I find questions that I can answer! ;)

Will be on the look out for low mileage cars and keep the family posted.

aurelius
06-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Aah! Possible that the earlier poster contacted this seller in Vegas and arranged to come this Friday and buy the vehicle paying cash.

^^^Learn from that. Given the state of the used car market in general and the relative cult status the ZHP has gained therein, it could very well happen again.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Properly priced ZHPs do not last long.

Even though Christian had a terrible experience with his ZHP purchase, the car he bought lasted on the market for 12 hours.

The car I bought was on a particular message board -- and within 36 hours I owned the car.

In this case, it made some sense to be cautious -- since a PPI needed to be done and an odometer issue/question came up.

BR, there will be more ZHPs out there.

We look forward to seeing what you ultimately end up with.

But Mark is correct. We've got a cult brewing here. Well sorted ZHPs, priced right, are getting snapped up by those who want in to the cult. :biggrin

BimmerRules!
06-24-2011, 05:38 AM
^^^Learn from that. Given the state of the used car market in general and the relative cult status the ZHP has gained therein, it could very well happen again.

Will do! :)

The car is still available and if the travel wasn't that far - and that expensive considering last minute airfare - I would have seen it this w/end ahead of the other prospective buyer. In any case, my decision not to pursue was more due to the lack of confidence on the reported miles. But your point is well taken. Thanks again for the patient guidance Mark. Much appreciated. :)

BimmerRules!
06-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Properly priced ZHPs do not last long.

Even though Christian had a terrible experience with his ZHP purchase, the car he bought lasted on the market for 12 hours.

The car I bought was on a particular message board -- and within 36 hours I owned the car.

In this case, it made some sense to be cautious -- since a PPI needed to be done and an odometer issue/question came up.

BR, there will be more ZHPs out there.

We look forward to seeing what you ultimately end up with.

But Mark is correct. We've got a cult brewing here. Well sorted ZHPs, priced right, are getting snapped up by those who want in to the cult. :biggrin

Muito Obrigado Amigo! :)

Have the cash ready and am no big hurry. Since Bimmers are prone to expensive maintenance if they aren't maintained properly in their initial years, I would rather buy one that I am comfortable with.

Rare to see such a friendly site and support to newcomers. Quite touched! Thanks again,

aurelius
06-24-2011, 05:56 AM
To anyone else considering this particular car and for whatever this may be worth to you, it is doubtful anything suspect is going on with this car's odometer. So it had EXACTLY 20,000 miles when the mileage reading in question was reported? This screams of clerical error. Which, as mentioned in this car's history thread, can happen any time incorrect data entry makes its way into a system monitored by carfax, autocheck, etc.

BimmerRules!
06-24-2011, 06:15 AM
To anyone else considering this particular car and for whatever this may be worth to you, it is doubtful anything suspect is going on with this car's odometer. So it had EXACTLY 20,000 miles when the mileage reading in question was reported? This screams of clerical error. Which, as stated previously in this thread, can happen any time incorrect data entry makes its way into a system monitored by carfax, autocheck, etc.

Nope, issue wasn't the exact 20k reading.

As I mentioned my post, the SA in my dealership looked up the car and disclosed that the first time the car was at a BMW dealership for service was in November 2006 when the odometer was 15k.

Whereas, autocheck's miles has it as 20k in Jan 2009, then declines to 16k in March 2009 and subsequently starts to increase to the current 34k.

Assuming that the 20k # in Jan 09 is an arbitrary # that can be ignored, I tried to find out what happened between Nov 06 and March 09 when the car had just 1k miles. Based on the records, it was in IL until 2009 and the current buyer purchased it last year in AZ.

It's not as if I hid my queries from him. I raised them to him and he didn't have any idea because he is the third owner who purchased it from a Cadillac dealership and didn't check the service history or asked for the papers.

Around the same time, he informed me that another buyer was interested and so I decided not to pursue. He seems to be a nice guy btw.

Edit: to anyone considering this particular car - note that a prospective buyer from LA (who could be the same person who inquried about this two days ago) is flying in tomorrow to meet the buyer and do the PPI in Vegas. So, you might want to act today if you are keen. Best of luck!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-24-2011, 06:37 AM
BR, I see what you were thinking here. Even throwing out the (likely) clerical error, you were also wondering why the car sat for 29 months -- and only added 1,000 miles. I'd be curious about that, too.

I put about 3000-4000 miles a year on my ZHP. But 1000 miles in 29 months? I'd like to know what happened. Coupled with the AutoCheck report, I can see why you were being extra cautious. No worries. I would move on and put this one behind you.

I think most of us can agree on something: a ZHP with 35K miles (priced at $18,500) should have sold in less than a week.

It's still for sale. Why?

BimmerRules!
06-24-2011, 06:48 AM
actually, less than $18.5 because I offered $17.5k and he was ok with it. :biggrin

Please don't mistake me: I am not trying to cast doubt on the current seller, who seems nice.

I am by nature cautious especially when it comes to parting more than $100 on something that I have no clue about and rely on public records. :)

As you said, I have put this behind me and in fact wished the seller the very best! Hope he gets his full $18.5k price.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-24-2011, 06:51 AM
I can tell you're being cautious more than anything else. I didn't infer that you were casting a negative light on the seller.

But my previous question does stand. Why hasn't this car sold yet? The owner is now willing to take $17.5K for a car with 35K miles.

Mark, what's your take on this?

aurelius
06-24-2011, 09:45 AM
My take on this is that the seller dropped it by a grand with barely a whisper and since he's also moving soon, he's probably even more flexible than that. Meaning, someone is going to get a nice, low mi ZHP at a damn good price.

Also: was wrong about my Carfax access (mentioned in the separate thread about this car's Autocheck results). Would be interested to see if Carfax indicates similar mileage discrepancy.

BimmerRules!
06-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Hi Marcus - this can be tagged as 'sold'. Seller emailed me yesterday that the LA buyer paid full price and is taking delivery on Wed. Good for him!