PDA

View Full Version : Summer Storage!! Please help

L0veZHP
06-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm going to Dominican Republic in one week so I won't be on the website as much but I'll try to pop in and say what's up once in a blue!

So my car is going to be stored in my garage after I give it a good wash and full it up with gas, I'm going to put the car cover on it and kiss it good bye for the first time.

Is there anything I need to do to leave my car stable in the garage for 2 months?
Please HELP! I don't want anything bad happing with it, I don't think I'm going to have someone turn it on. It's just going to be there in the garaged parked for a straight two months.. I heard I should take it for a good spin before leaving it tho and should I change the oil?

Alphatek45
06-21-2011, 05:12 PM
2 words. Battery tender.

Don't have anyone that can take it for a spin a few times while your gone?

az3579
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't fill up the tank... the gas could be iffy when you return and then you'd have to waste a whole tank draining it and filling with fresh gas, not to mention the labor of actually draining whatever's in there.

static667
06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
2 words. Battery tender.

+1

If you do decide to fill up your tank, go to a Walmart and get a bottle of Sta-Bil for Ethanol and a bottle of regular Sta-Bil. These fuel stabilizers will ensure that your gas will be useable when you get back. You can also find these at auto parts stores. It's just cheaper at Wally World.

mimalmo
06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Battery tender and minimal gas are both good ideas.

Have fun on your trip!

danewilson77
06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Whatever you do....

1. Do not leave your keys in a place they can be easily found.

2. Be safe and have fun on your trip.

3. Battery tender might be a good idea if your battery is >3.5 years old. Boss doesn't have one....and his car sits for prolonged "rest periods" an starts like a champ.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
One note, though. I have a brand new battery now.

I was worried about my old battery dying on me because of the prolonged periods of non use.

Johnmadd
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
+1

If you do decide to fill up your tank, go to a Walmart and get a bottle of Sta-Bil for Ethanol and a bottle of regular Sta-Bil. These fuel stabilizers will ensure that your gas will be useable when you get back. You can also find these at auto parts stores. It's just cheaper at Wally World.

+1.

L0veZHP
06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Alright guys I'll google battery tender don't know much about it and I'll deff get Sta-Bill for Ethanol and a bottle of regular Sta-Bill but how do I use these?

L0veZHP
06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
I just google battery tender for cars and OMG I understand it but which one do I get and can I get it locally like at an autostore?

Johnmadd
06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Alright guys I'll google battery tender don't know much about it and I'll deff get Sta-Bill for Ethanol and a bottle of regular Sta-Bill but how do I use these?

Directions on the bottle, hehe.

L0veZHP
06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
LOL! i kinda figured that after i posted the question up.. I was just to lazy to delete it..kinda cool how you caught on..

Johnmadd
06-21-2011, 07:30 PM
LOL! i kinda figured that after i posted the question up.. I was just to lazy to delete it..kinda cool how you caught on..

Its because this is my honest words posted here

danewilson77
06-22-2011, 02:01 AM
I just google battery tender for cars and OMG I understand it but which one do I get and can I get it locally like at an autostore?

You probably can acquire locally.

az3579
06-22-2011, 02:59 AM
You shouldn't have a problem finding one in a local auto store. Sears has good ones as well.

billschusteriv
06-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Good stuff in this thread. Found this on flatspotting:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

Might not be an issue considering how warm it will be outside. FWIW, personally I would not leave your car up on blocks/stands unattended/unchecked for two months.

MrMaico
06-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Battery Tender is a good brand of charger but even a $20 Wal Mart one would be fine. You want to fill the fuel but for 2 months you wouldn't need any stabilizer. I would just add a can of Sea Foam, that way you stabilize and treat it at the same time.

L0veZHP
06-24-2011, 01:16 PM
my friend said i can just take the battery out? and just let it chill

MrMaico
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
my friend said i can just take the battery out? and just let it chill

Mike Miller (tech editor for Roundel) says that's a not a good idea. He claims certain modules will lose their memory and it might require a trip to the dealer to reset/reboot them. However, I had mine unhooked for about 10 days last winter while my steering wheel was re-wrapped and I didn't have any problems. There are lots of people that unhook theirs for the winter also. Your call I guess. Best bet though would be to buy or borrow a trickle charger.

L0veZHP
06-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Alright I'll do that thanks a lot guys =]