PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New zhp owner from Massachusetts

Chad44
06-24-2011, 04:04 PM
I finally got into a car that I can play with! I have been playing with my wife's 323i for 2 years and put the zhp suspension on it with h&r springs... Then started to autocross it and finally found the right car locally.
A 2003 330i zhp, Imola red on black leather, black cube trim.
I have been cleaning it up for 2 weeks.
I just replaced all suspension components except springs which I will trade with my wife's h&rs when I get a chance. Did an oil change, changed brake fluid, checked all bushings, replaced cabin filter, fuel filter, belts... I think there's more but that's all I can think of now.

It came with these wheels, with the incorrect offset so it rubbed the wheel wells.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898a71-2383-f163.jpg

So I bought these wheels and they need new rubber and some refinishing...
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898a71-235f-8a4c.jpg

So I got these style 71s with brand new pilot sports on them... Super clean wheels.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898a71-2415-aee4.jpg

Oil, filters, exhaust gasket and bolts, fuel filter... Etc changed last weekend.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898a71-2474-7756.jpg

This was Wednesday-Thursday, replacing suspension, brake/clutch bleed, belts, check all bushings(need a bunch new ones)
I work much slower than normal when I'm wet and cold and can't lay out all my tools!
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898a71-277b-31d7.jpg

As you can see I've had a very busy first 3 weeks of ownership, and have more preventative maintenance in the near future...

I'm Familiar with e46s but please send me any suggestions you may have!
I'm planning to do heavy autocrossing, and thinking about Delrin bushings on the diff and trans bushings but switching to oem m3 rubber engine mounts... Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

static667
06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Looking pretty freakin' awesome. Welcome to the family!

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

danewilson77
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the Mafia.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Welcome, Chad.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

Alphatek45
06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the Family.

kayger12
06-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the Family.

Chad44
06-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone! Looking forward to sucking even more information out of the Internet and filling my brain with everything BMW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-24-2011, 06:13 PM
You've come to the right place

Crickett
06-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the mob! Looks like you're off to a great start!

DeM3n
06-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Wow... Now that's what I call dedication. Here in the PNW we're no strangers to the rain. But it takes a certain level of enthusiast to work under those conditions. Props for the DIY! Congrats on the car and welcome to the boards!

Tapatalk...It's what the doctor ordered.

zhpnsnv
06-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Welcome. That's some aggressive DIYing right there.

mov
06-25-2011, 03:41 AM
Welcome Bro!

mimalmo
06-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Welcome.

johnrando
06-25-2011, 12:04 PM
There are a few auto-x's here so I'm sure they will comment. In the meantime, welcome! Nice work done on your car.

cakM3
06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey Chad :hi

Nice to see you on here! It's awesome that you are doing so much to your ZHP in the short time you have had it! Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store :thumbsup!

Oh, and welcome to the family :biggrin

Chad44
06-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Nice to see you on here! It's awesome that you are doing so much to your ZHP in the short time you have had it! Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store :thumbsup!

Hey there stranger! It's been a busy time... I replaced the pre-cat oxygen sensors today and have new tie rods to put on tomorrow!

GSEN820
06-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Wow no wasting time.... Haha good for you, welcome to the site.

You really should get a thread started on projects to keep us updated, as you are one dedicated individual to your car.

Chad44
06-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Wow no wasting time.... Haha good for you, welcome to the site.

You really should get a thread started on projects to keep us updated, as you are one dedicated individual to your car.

I've been thinking about that... I will put one together in a few weeks, I am studying to test through a math class for college right now and have to take the placement test by the 8th, then start summer school on the 11th... Once I'm in summer school and settled down I will write up a little something documenting the journey!

Chad44
06-29-2011, 03:43 AM

I also got a good look at what it would take to swap over those stainless brake lines you were talking about doing, and it looks like a super easy job. I also picked up a Motive pressurized brake bleeder while I was at Turner one of these many times picking up parts, so we should be able to knock those brake lines out then bleed the system in no time. I would be interested in doing the swap to stainless lines at the same time... Just let me know when you're ready.

cakM3
06-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Hey there stranger! It's been a busy time... I replaced the pre-cat oxygen sensors today and have new tie rods to put on tomorrow!

Hey Chad!

When are you planning another get together? This time I will bring up my ZHP :biggrin

I had a great time meeting everyone last time. This time though I plan to bring some things to do and would probably need your help :biggrin

Regarding your previous post above....lets doooooeeeeeettttttt :biggrin

Chad, PMd :thumbsup

goofiefoot
06-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Nice work, Chad. Welcome!

If you can figure out how do so, can you send some of that rain down here to Texas? We're about to dry up and blow away.

Chad44
06-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the Mafia.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

I just logged into the computer so I could actually see everyone's sigs and noticed we are nearly twins right now! I just put my thule rack on yesterday!
http://tapatalk.com/mu/62763b2b-f60f-fe2d.jpg

Wow that picture sucks... Lol it's midnight, on a camera phone so I shouldnt have expected much...

Chad44
06-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Nice work, Chad. Welcome!

If you can figure out how do so, can you send some of that rain down here to Texas? We're about to dry up and blow away.

I would have loved to pass the rain off to you last week... I really need to build a garage!

danewilson77
06-30-2011, 02:58 AM
I just logged into the computer so I could actually see everyone's sigs and noticed we are nearly twins right now! I just put my thule rack on yesterday!
http://tapatalk.com/mu/62763b2b-f60f-fe2d.jpg

Wow that picture sucks... Lol it's midnight, on a camera phone so I shouldnt have expected much...

:like!

Are those style 71's on your car? What's the offset on those?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Definitely looks like style 71. BP has the same wheels.

danewilson77
06-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Still looking for that one local member that has "My style 71's" on a 3er....

Mtnman
07-01-2011, 05:01 AM
Welcome. Cant wait for the Project Forum write up..

Chad44
07-01-2011, 05:36 AM
:like!

Are those style 71's on your car? What's the offset on those?

They are style 71's, oem 3er offset... Don't remember what it is to be honest. I bought them for the tires that were on them, while I refinish my VMRs or buy something else.
Here's a better photo with the roof rack, in the daylight.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/62763b2b-cd51-aa72.jpg

CERF04ZHP
07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Nice car, Chad. Where in Mass. are you? I grew up in Lenox, way out in Berkshire County... and now I live in Kittery, ME which is about an hour north of Boston.

Chad44
07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Nice car, Chad. Where in Mass. are you? I grew up in Lenox, way out in Berkshire County... and now I live in Kittery, ME which is about an hour north of Boston.

Hi Channing, Nice choice on the car/color! I'm outside wonderful Worcester in Northborough. I used to spend a lot of time out in the Berkshires, It's great scenery for a lazy summer day cruise! One of my favorite spots out there is Waconah Falls, a bit northeast of Lenox- in Dalton, but you probably know where it is...

Do you get involved with any of the driving events in the bmwcca? I imagine you would likely join in with the NH chapter, but if you ever come down for the Boston chapter stuff... You'll likely see me there, I'm trying to get heavily involved!

DirtyPillows
07-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Those don't look like the et20 im getting from dw. I think mine will stick out more...maybe?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

danewilson77
07-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Those don't look like the et20 im getting from dw. I think mine will stick out more...maybe?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Those are ET35? BP?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

CERF04ZHP
07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi Channing, Nice choice on the car/color! I'm outside wonderful Worcester in Northborough. I used to spend a lot of time out in the Berkshires, It's great scenery for a lazy summer day cruise! One of my favorite spots out there is Waconah Falls, a bit northeast of Lenox- in Dalton, but you probably know where it is...

Do you get involved with any of the driving events in the bmwcca? I imagine you would likely join in with the NH chapter, but if you ever come down for the Boston chapter stuff... You'll likely see me there, I'm trying to get heavily involved!

Nice! I know exactly where Waconah Falls is... been swimming there in May, the water was about 54 degrees (!)
I would like to get down to some of the BMWCCA events, we'll see how the rest of my summer pans out, been very busy though with work, weddings, house projects, etc...