PDA

View Full Version : For Sale (SOLD): 2004 BMW 330i ZHP Performance Package 6M 58K for under $16K, autotrader

sea6speed
06-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Great price!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302186181&dealer_id=56643463&car_year=2004&systime=&doors=&model=330I&search_lang=en&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1309109857403&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=596821&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2005&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=WASHINGTON_DC_WE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=Manual&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=22031&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=BMW&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=393&standard=false

Marcus-SanDiego
06-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Good find. Looks good.

///mattleegeee
06-26-2011, 02:48 PM
For how many miles and at a dealer that seems like a great deal!

BimmerRules!
06-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the link! yes, for this many miles and with a BMW dealer, it certainly is a great deal.

Just left a message at the dealer; let's see if it's still available.

therealm3
06-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Man, this is the exact build I am looking for. :-( Just can't pull the trigger yet. Plus MA is a long way from home. (CA)

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the site, TRM3.

Mtnman
06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
If i needed a new ZHP, this one would be in my wheelhouse. Good Luck Bimmerules.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 09:04 AM
^^ for sure.

billschusteriv
06-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Man, this is the exact build I am looking for. :-( Just can't pull the trigger yet. Plus MA is a long way from home. (CA)

Welcome TRM3! Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip. :biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 09:06 AM
My prediction is that the car will be sold this week.

BimmerRules!
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Just spoke to the person, who is with the CPO unit at the dealer. He mentioned that though the car is not CPO, it pretty much went thru the same inspection process.

He also disclosed that the car has been with them for about two weeks. Wish I wasn't driving to Montreal this weekend with my lady and my brother. Else, I would certainly be going to MA! Got to figure out if I can convince them about a detour but heck, many things planned there...:(

Based on carfax, it doesn't seem to have any issues and the only thing that struck out was that the windshield wasreplaced in 2007 before it was sold to the current owner. Maintenance has been as per the BMW schedule (oil change every 15k, brake fluid flush at least once etc), but front and rear brake rotors were replaced in 2008 and tires were aligned twice.

Questions for the experts:

- is the inspection II due on this car around 60k miles? I ask because the newer cars have a 'condition based service' which I was told negates Inspection I and II

- would dealer permit cars to be taken to a PPI outside? I know I can insist or walk away if they don't agree; but curious to know about this because they will point out that they have been servicing the car since it was new.

- since it is the original dealer, will they provide all the service records relating to the car?

Thanks!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
As for service records, they will likely cite privacy reasons for not giving them to you. But ask and find out. See what they say.

I don't see why a dealer would have a problem with an outside PPI, but I do not know for sure. Never tried that before. Instead, I have brought my mechanic to dealer lots before.

I do inspection I at 30,000 miles. I do inspection II at 60,000 miles on the E46 ZHP. Inspect I will come again at 90,000 miles. Not sure if anything has changed at BMW, though, that now obviates the need for that.

I'm following the old school BMW maintenance program (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?408-Mike-Miller-Old-School-Maintenance-Schedule-for-BMW) at this point, so I really don't care if there is a condition based service that makes the 30K, 60K, 90K, etc., intervals old school. :biggrin

BimmerRules!
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Marcus. The dealership is one place where due to my lack of knowledge of the car's workings, I come out as a dumb kid nodding to everything they say. Hence the queries. :) But, I do have the sense not to part with the money that quickly and hence do not succumb to the pressure of paying for anything before I get to research about it.

If I get the car, I plan to do exactly what you are doing: old school m/ce.

Since that involves many things at the 60k level, I thought of trying to get them done @ the place where I buy the car. But considering that it is the dealer, I can expect a flat no for those requests for preventive maintenance unless I have some outside PPI that points them as stuff that needs to be done.

Your idea of bringing the mechanic is a great one. I would have taken mine had the upcoming w/end not been a long one and I didn't have the Canada trip. Maybe I could try to find a local mechanic there using bimmer shops website.

Thanks!

Scott95
06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
I just bought my ZHP last week from a local dealer (non-BMW) off their used lot. It has been based here for several years and they were able to get a fax of the service records from our local BMW dealer and send that to me, so it seems there is no overall BMW policy to keep those a secret. I still had a PPI done with a local BMW expert, though, and I seemed to have gotten a great car.

The one in the ad looks pretty good to me.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Scott, thanks for the information. The more the merrier.

mimalmo
06-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Color combo: check
Mileage: check
Vehicle history: check
Manual transmission: check
Pricing: check

I'm surprised this hasn't sold already.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Agree, Eli. I see it being under contract this week.

Scott95
06-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Agree, Eli. I see it being under contract this week.

I agree too... it is a highly desirable car at a fair price! Mine was on the lot/market less than a week, and I was the second person that tried to buy her...fortunately for me the first one couldn't get financing. :)

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 03:27 PM
fortunately for me the first one couldn't get financing. :)

:chuck

ecrabb
06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm still a few weeks away from having my money ducks in a row or I'd have sent a deposit and be lining up travel plans already. 6mt Mystic with black interior in either 4- or 2-door is exactly what I want - and the price and miles are right in my sweet spot. I wonder how long until another one like this pops up... Arrgghhh...

SC

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Steve, they come and go and come back again. You may miss this one; you'll catch another one.

aurelius
06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Just spoke to the person, who is with the CPO unit at the dealer. He mentioned that though the car is not CPO, it pretty much went thru the same inspection process.

Riiiight. And it spent its first few years on oxygen-free planet Mars. Not only is CPO total B-crap, don't believe anything a dealer tells you.

Lovely ZHP I'm sure, just be smart.

Anyhow, moot point. Car is NLFS.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Mark, the ad is still up. Do you know something about a sale on this car?

aurelius
06-27-2011, 08:16 PM
When I click the link in post #1, I get a "this car is NLFS" message from
AT.

EDIT: when I mod the link (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302186181) it seems the car is still avail.

Looks great. Love that blue.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Mark, I thought you had some inside information. :biggrin Then I thought I was going crazy (which isn't out of the realm of possibility).

ecrabb
06-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Steve, they come and go and come back again. You may miss this one; you'll catch another one.

Thanks, Marcus. Yes, I will catch one. I'll just keeping repeating to myself, "Good things come to those who wait..."

SC

therealm3
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm still a few weeks away from having my money ducks in a row or I'd have sent a deposit and be lining up travel plans already. 6mt Mystic with black interior in either 4- or 2-door is exactly what I want - and the price and miles are right in my sweet spot. I wonder how long until another one like this pops up... Arrgghhh...

SC

Tell me about it..... its pretty much the exact build I want. :-(

GreenFrog
06-28-2011, 06:12 PM
guys, I bought this car today!! it was in immaculate condition. all four wheels had some minor curb rash but that's about it.

they wouldn't budge on the price though because there was so much demand for it. there was a guy who came in right after me who wanted to pay in cash on the spot.

the sales guy said that he'd been on the phone with a guy from NYC who wanted to put a deposit on the car until he could come in to look at it.

but in the end, i bought it! sorry to whoever was trying to purchase it!!

kayger12
06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Congrats!

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

GreenFrog
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
thanks! gonna buy some angel eyes and a cold air intake now :D

Marcus-SanDiego
06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Congrats, GF. Nice pickup.

GreenFrog
06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
thank you sir!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-28-2011, 07:41 PM
You are welcome.

And, again, welcome to the mob.

GreenFrog
06-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Do you think it was necessary that I do a pre-purchase inspection? I was going to, but the dealership insisted that I wouldn't need to spend my money on it, as they already 'inspected' it themselves. They said that the fact that a BMW dealership would take on the risk on its reputation to sell a 2004 used car meant that it was in tip-top shape.

Should I be worried that I'm buying this without a PPI?

danewilson77
06-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Hard to say....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

GreenFrog
06-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Either way, I think I'm going to get a warranty on the car.

danewilson77
06-29-2011, 06:38 AM
How much is the warranty?

aurelius
06-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Either way, I think I'm going to get a warranty on the car.

Hold off on mods until all of the maintenance items relevant to this ZHP's mileage have been dealt with. Cooling system overhaul and CABs (control arm bushings) come to mind, as do the 2 accessory belts & their suspect pulleys.

Ask the dealer to scan for fault codes and give you the print out. Request this before the deal is done.

Extended warranties are not worthwhile. The vast majority of the time, they address only one thing: an irrational fear of uncertainty. Disclaimer: if you plan to blow off a thorough cooling system overhaul, definitely get an extended warranty.

zj96sc
06-29-2011, 08:22 AM
I would never buy a car worth more than maybe $3-$4k without an independent PPI, and I do 100% of my work myself.

Get a PPI, and definitely get the codes scanned. The dealer discouraging a PPI is a red flag, IMO. The codes will tell you what lurks beneath. You shouldn't be paying more than maybe $150 or so to have it fully wrung out, and $150 to save thousands is a deal any day of the week in my book.

I had a car I had already gotten financing for, had it PPI'ed, and found 58 stored codes, bad maf, bad cat, and cracked wheels....none of which the seller disclosed and/or knew about to begin with.

Just my 0.02 - always CYA

Paul

BimmerRules!
06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
guys, I bought this car today!! it was in immaculate condition. all four wheels had some minor curb rash but that's about it.

they wouldn't budge on the price though because there was so much demand for it. there was a guy who came in right after me who wanted to pay in cash on the spot.

the sales guy said that he'd been on the phone with a guy from NYC who wanted to put a deposit on the car until he could come in to look at it.

but in the end, i bought it! sorry to whoever was trying to purchase it!!

Congrats! The guy from NYC was me. :) Can't take time off from work just like that, else I would have been there - which is why the deposit route.

And yes, get the PPI.

BimmerRules!
06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I would never buy a car worth more than maybe $3-$4k without an independent PPI, and I do 100% of my work myself.

Get a PPI, and definitely get the codes scanned. The dealer discouraging a PPI is a red flag, IMO. The codes will tell you what lurks beneath. You shouldn't be paying more than maybe $150 or so to have it fully wrung out, and $150 to save thousands is a deal any day of the week in my book.

I had a car I had already gotten financing for, had it PPI'ed, and found 58 stored codes, bad maf, bad cat, and cracked wheels....none of which the seller disclosed and/or knew about to begin with.

Paul

Paul - thanks for sharing that info on the codes. I am hoping that if it is from the dealer, all these things would have been fixed before they turn around and sell it.

I don't know about code scanning and wonder if the scanning is a simple process that can be done at the seller's place itself or would it require hooking the car up with any special equipment. I ask because I assumed I could take a mechanic to the car to get it inspected and so this is something that I to keep in mind especially if the seller is not a dealer.

zj96sc
06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
It requires special equipment, either an autologic or GT1 I believe. Any BMW dealership or BMW-specific indie shop will have one or the other. Takes like 10 seconds, but some dealers will charge you a 1/2 hour of labor to do it. I've paid $70 for it before, on top of the PPI...but like i said before, this is money I'm comfortable spending.

aurelius
06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
It requires special equipment, either an autologic or GT1 I believe.

To do a proper scan, that's correct. My indie mechanic charges for that separately. Has something to do with the way he pays Autologic.

Bear in mind the presence of codes does not necessarily indicate trouble.

kayger12
06-29-2011, 04:14 PM

Paul

+1 Big Time. Great advice in this post.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

GreenFrog
06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
So what happened? Did you find these codes after you purchased the car? I'm pretty much at a point where I have financing in set and I'm going to pick the car up tomorrow. The dealership is giving me a 2-month/2500 mile warranty (whichever comes first), so if I find some codes or whatnot with the car AFTER I buy it, am I entitled to ask the dealership to fix them?

Paul

aurelius
06-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Ask the dealer to scan for fault codes and give you the print out. Request this before the deal is done.

^^^

Once you sign on the dotted line, they are relieved of further obligation.

zj96sc
06-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Just ask them to hook it up to their computer before and show you the code results you hand over the financing. If they ask for 1 hour or a 1/2 hour of labor, pay it.

If they resist, that would be enough for me to walk away from the deal. You can give the financing back to the bank. The dealer should be eager for the opportunity to prove the condition of the car to you - nothing else.

As was mentioned, the simple existence of a code is not an indicator of current trouble, but I wouldn't pay for a car without knowing what's stored.

edit: don't get blinded by the opportunity to close the deal in just a few hours - remain objective and don't let emotions rule the day. there are tons of ZHPs out there. if this one is busted, walk away.

BimmerRules!
07-01-2011, 05:25 AM
It requires special equipment, either an autologic or GT1 I believe. Any BMW dealership or BMW-specific indie shop will have one or the other. Takes like 10 seconds, but some dealers will charge you a 1/2 hour of labor to do it. I've paid $70 for it before, on top of the PPI...but like i said before, this is money I'm comfortable spending.

To do a proper scan, that's correct. My indie mechanic charges for that separately. Has something to do with the way he pays Autologic.

Bear in mind the presence of codes does not necessarily indicate trouble.

Thank you for these nuggets! Will certainly bear this in mind as I search.