PDA

View Full Version : Potential ZHP Purchaser; PPI Question

RERobbins
07-02-2011, 06:10 AM
My son and I are on the look-out for a 6MT ZHP 330ci and we're watching the classified forum here with great interest. When we find the car we want it's almost certainly not going to be conveniently located and we'll need to worry about having it inspected and then shipped. Can you offer advice about getting someone to do a decent pre-purchase inspection on one of these cars? Are there reliable third party services? Do you need to locate local mechanic? Before completing the purchase I'd certainly want to see the car in person and drive it, but that's not a substitute for an inspection from a competent mechanic, and I realize that things will likely need to move fast. I know I could probably post this in many places, but I've come to appreciate this user community. Thanks.

danewilson77
07-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Welcome to the site.

Can't really help you on the outta state PPI.

Check for more sale zhp's here.

Patience is key.

http://www.zhpregistry.net/forsale/

static667
07-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Welcome to the family. Wherever you find a car, there may be a mafioso on the area that can help.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

kayger12
07-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the Family.

I would start with bimrs.org link here (http://www.bimrs.org/2008MapPage.html). They are a large group of independent BMW mechanics throughout the country.

Once you find a ZHP that you want to check out, punch in the zip code on their site and contact the nearest member to inquire about PPI services.

And as Static related, there will also probably be a member of the Family in the area that will be happy to help out.

Good luck with your search.

GMATT
07-02-2011, 08:25 AM
In my area (upstate NY) we have a Indy that is a certified BMW master mechanic most of his ppi are $150.00-250.00 depending on your needs. He saved me from buying a car that was overpriced and had serious issues!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

aurelius
07-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Also see bimmershops.com

Best done at independent BMW-specific shop with relevant electronic diagnostic tools (Modic/GT1 or Autologic). FWIW, there will almost certainly be stored fault codes, which doesn't necessarily mean anything bad.

Probably preaching to the choir in your case but read up, ask questions (of us and sellers), be smart, avoid surprises. These cars can be fairly cheap to own & operate but you have to take advantage of what is now known about them, which is pretty much everything. Any problem or issue you encounter on a ZHP is very likely a well-known E46 issue and also very likely not a deal killer when buying.

kayger12
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Also see bimmershops.com

Best done at independent BMW-specific shop with relevant electronic diagnostic tools (Modic/GT1 or Autologic). FWIW, there will almost certainly be stored fault codes, which doesn't necessarily mean anything bad.

Probably preaching to the choir in your case but read up, ask questions (of us and sellers), be smart, avoid surprises. These cars can be fairly cheap to own & operate but you have to take advantage of what is now known about them, which is pretty much everything. Any problem or issue you encounter on a ZHP is very likely a well-known E46 issue and also very likely not a deal killer when buying.

Well said.

RERobbins
07-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks. I knew this community would respond swiftly and in a really constructive fashion. I've had more than my fair share of BMWs over the years, but usually more current models. This is the first time I'm I'm looking at an older model.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
And in addition to a local Mafia guy actually looking at the car, many of us should be able to recommend local shops that we trust (assuming you find a car in a location that one of us lives in).

So, let us know when you find a car. Let us know the location. We go from there.

RERobbins
07-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks again.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-02-2011, 03:56 PM
No worries.

zj96sc
07-05-2011, 08:42 AM
More often than not, you can find a highly recommended BMW shop just by googling the area the car is for sale. Just watch the reviews and look for one that is highly rated. I would probably recommend and independent over a BMW dealership, but if worse comes to worse a BMW dealership knows what they're looking at for the most part. I just have the feeling that BMW dealerships get more into a mode of "what would we charge to get this car to 100%" instead of the "would I want to buy this car if I was a shopper" that a true independent shop/gearhead guy will give you.

And don't let a bad PPI scare you away. Weigh the repairs it needs against the asking price. The newest E46 on the road is now 5 years old; invariably any car you find will have at least something wrong with it. Just remain objective and don't force the purchase. The right car will come along.

RERobbins
07-17-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm so impressed by how this community works.

I'm in Chicago and my son is in California, so we're not exactly well placed to take a look at a car in New Jersey. Is there anyone out there who might be able to help me evaluate this car: http://www.zhpregistry.net/forsale/DisplayListing.aspx?id=152 ?

We have been focused on coupes, but this sedan might be just fine.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Calling all Jersey guys. Member needs assistance.

RERobbins
07-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all in advance.

I just noticed this ZHP in Michigan. Is anyone familiar with this car? Anyone in the mood to check it out if you happen to be not too far?

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=301885222&dealer_id=66385443&ct=p&carid_search=1

Thanks so much,

-- Rich

danewilson77
07-17-2011, 09:00 AM
2nd alert!!!! Any Michigan members willing to scope out above ride, for above Mafioso?

kayger12
07-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I can look at the Jersey car for you.

It's about an hour away from me.

Just shoot me a PM.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

zhpnsnv
07-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I might be able to help with NJ car as well. It's about an hour from me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayger12
07-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I might be able to help with NJ car as well. It's about an hour from me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or we can both check it out and also conduct an evaluation of beer quality in the greater Sicklerville area. :biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
07-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Or we can both check it out and also conduct an evaluation of beer quality in the greater Sicklerville area. :biggrin

:chuck

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

zhpnsnv
07-17-2011, 06:05 PM

Never even knew such a place existed, to be honest. So naturally a thorough investigation is in order.

RERobbins
07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for replying to my message. I just noticed that there's a ZHP coupe in San Diego that may be a better fit for what I'm looking for, so I'm going to hold off on the NJ and MI ZHPs for now. On the other hand, don't let me stop you from a beer run!

kayger12
07-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for replying to my message. I just noticed that there's a ZHP coupe in San Diego that may be a better fit for what I'm looking for, so I'm going to hold off on the NJ and MI ZHPs for now. On the other hand, don't let me stop you from a beer run!

Good luck with the San Diego ZHP.

We'll be here if that one doesn't work out.

BCS_ZHP
07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
RERobbins,
I can cover the greater DC metro area for you if something pops up. Know of a couple nice 6 spd coupes in my area, one currently for sale, the other on the fence and have posted info on them previously for other members. Believe BimmerRules is currently pursuing one of them.
Bruce

danewilson77
07-18-2011, 06:25 PM
I will cover Newport News and Virginia Beach.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

MPHATIK
07-18-2011, 09:33 PM
...Seattle area covered...

static667
07-19-2011, 02:37 AM
The Mafia has eyes across the world. If you need help, the family is there. :mafia I have north eastern NC covered.

KC ZHP
07-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Just went through this experience when purchasing my ZHP last year. Few learnings to share...

- PPI needs to include both mechanical and body condition. Many BMW independents may not be well versed in checking for evidence of prior body or paint damage - do not rely on the word of the owner in this area.

Unfortunately, I spend several hundred dollars on what I thought was a thorough PPI at a nationally known and respected BMW independent / tuner only to find the car had evidence of repaint in multiple areas, zenons did not function and engine codes were not identified. If these cars are not up-to-date on routine maintenance as well as addressing the known trouble areas, they are expensive to get in order.

There is surely a checklist elsewhere; however, here are some key areas of which to be aware with these cars - with the exception of regulators and subframe, I've addressed all these areas in my year of ownership:
- Vanos seals, rattle - common issues on these cars, particularly the ZHP
- Camshaft position sensor and coils - common failure item; an easy DIY
- ECU software - newer versions address engine stumble and hesitation issues
- DISA valve - common wear / failure item; an easy DIY
- Valve cover gasket - common wear item
- Window regulators - these will fail; check records for replacement
- ZHP alcantara wheel - this is a wear item - see vendor area for inexpensive re-wrap options
- Cooling system - cost of BMW ownership, factor for this expense depending on mileage, if it's due
- Front control arm bushings - routine wear item, part of price of BMW ownership
- Sedan ZKW zenons will fail - this is a design defect
- Rear subframe mounts - relatively rare; however, if found, pass on the car

Good luck with your search!

Marcus-SanDiego
07-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Excellent point about the body work being part of the PPI.

In San Diego I always recommend Euro Auto Spot for PPIs. In addition to them knowing these cars well, they also inspect the car for paintwork. When it's a close call, they recruit 2M Autobody, which is right next door. I've seen Dave, the owner of 2M, help out on the PPI. Makes for a very thorough PPI.

I couldn't agree more about finding a shop that knows how to spot body issues, too.

aurelius
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
There is surely a checklist elsewhere...

That's a good list KC posted above. On the topic of checklists for prospective buyers & DIY/maintenance info for current owners, I finally "gathered my thoughts" and posted a document with info and links (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17676561/BMW%20docs/BMW%20E46%20Buyer%27s%20Checklist.rtf). It's a work-in-progress. I make changes here & there and I'm certainly open to suggestions on future edits, therefore consider re-downloading it once in a while.

BimmerRules!
07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Never even knew such a place existed, to be honest. So naturally a thorough investigation is in order.

I don't know about cars other than to drive and enjoy them, but can surely join you guys as a trainee to learn. :)

Plus, I am a guzzler of Belgian beers. :biggrin

danewilson77
07-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Absolutely...you meet 2 of 3 wickets already.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

BimmerRules!
07-23-2011, 02:11 AM
ha-hah! Thanks!

Query on out-of-state inspections if seller is non-BMW dealer or private seller:

I encountered this while looking up a car out of a state and thought this might be useful to all potentila buyers.

Nearest BMW dealer or indy BMW shop was 50 miles from the seller (a non-BMW but big name dealership). So, they didn't want the car taken out for that distance for PPI, which IMO is understandable considering the liability issues that arise if I trash the car. (Of course, they assured that they had inspected the car thoroughly and that it was great. :))

How do we get the inspection done?

One solution is to take your mechanic or knowledgable person with you. But that would still leave the issue of the any error codes that the BMW dealer/indy shop finds later.

Can we ask the seller to give in writing that they will compensate for any issues that might come up in the inspection after the buyer takes delivery? Sounds lame and difficult, especially if there is much travel involved. But, is this feasible and enforceable in the first place?

Would appreciate any insights and other suggestions.

Thanks!

Marcus-SanDiego
07-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Rather than answer your questions, I'm going to offer some advice.

If you want a PPI done, and you cannot get it done because the seller won't allow it to happen (or you can't get it done because it's just not feasible), you should find another car. Again, if a PPI is mandatory from your standpoint, and you can't get it done, you should walk. Other cars out there that you can do a PPI on.

kayger12
07-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Rather than answer your questions, I'm going to offer some advice.

If you want a PPI done, and you cannot get it done because the seller won't allow it to happen (or you can't get it done because it's just not feasible), you should find another car. Again, if a PPI is mandatory from your standpoint, and you can't get it done, you should walk. Other cars out there that you can do a PPI on.

This.

BimmerRules!
07-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks Marcus. Sensible advice, especially for those not in a hurry to pull the trigger. I hope it's just a matter of time before more 05 and 06 vintages start hitting the market. Let's see. :)