PDA

View Full Version : some goods to add some hp

Bayjatt101
07-14-2011, 12:18 AM
What are some thing i can do to add some power that will make a difference to the car.

static667
07-14-2011, 02:31 AM
To really add power, you'll have to go beyond the basic bolt-ons. Cold air intakes and performance software only get you minimal, if any, gain in horses. For significant gains, you'll either have to go with forced induction or some serious motor work. Either way, we're talking about spending several thousand dollars.

danewilson77
07-14-2011, 04:09 AM
1. Software - Dinan, Shark, Sprint Booster

2. Intake - AFE or BMW Performance

3. Exhaust

4. Lighter rims will help HP/Weight ratio

5. ZHPMafia Stickers

I think 1-3 could possibly add 30 - 40HP

Number 5 gets you 5Hp/sticker.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-14-2011, 07:34 AM
One point of clarification on Dane's post: he is underrating the stickers. You'll likely get 6 HP on those.

AzkotikBMW
07-14-2011, 07:36 AM
1. Software - Dinan, Shark, Sprint Booster

2. Intake - AFE or BMW Performance

3. Exhaust

4. Lighter rims will help HP/Weight ratio

5. ZHPMafia Stickers

I think 1-3 could possibly add 30 - 40HP

Number 5 gets you 5Hp/sticker.

+1

I'd add headers into that mix also. Getting rid of those pre-cats really opens up the flow of the exhaust!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

midlandtech
07-14-2011, 07:44 AM
add underdrive pulleys to that list

danewilson77
07-14-2011, 07:48 AM
+1

I'd add headers into that mix also. Getting rid of those pre-cats really opens up the flow of the exhaust!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

Yup

add underdrive pulleys to that list

Yup

slowCoupe
07-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Agree with above.. (although I haven't tested the stickers). "Unfortunately" (depending on your perspective) the 330 ZHP is pretty much maxed out, shy of doing major work. Only small gains are possible by basic mods that people usually do. Also, those gains aren't flat across the powerband.

Remember there are two ways to improve performance.. more power, or less weight (and in some cases, aerodynamic drag reduction). As one person said, lighter rims. Also think about CF hood/trunk/etc. If you have heated power seats, and are willing to give up the creature comforts, think about replacing with sport seats.

Not sure about your physical condition, but don't forget about the driver where weight savings are concerned. Dropping 20lbs by changing your diet and some PT has the same effect as dropping 20 from the car, and is probably a lot less expensive.

GSEN820
07-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Stickers all the way........

You will be spanking M3's all day long.. Only if the placement is right so get a bunch to place to find the sweet spot.

az3579
07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Dane,
I have to disagree. I don't see that much power coming from those mods. Maybe 20, realistically...
I wish it were that easy. :(

danewilson77
07-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Dane,
I have to disagree. I don't see that much power coming from those mods. Maybe 20, realistically...
I wish it were that easy. :(

You're wrong BP. Headers and exhaust are 25Hp alone

Bayjatt101
07-15-2011, 01:19 AM
dane- are you familiar with the jlevi software?

danewilson77
07-15-2011, 01:35 AM
dane- are you familiar with the jlevi software?

I am not....but its prob not much diff than Shark.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
07-15-2011, 03:53 AM
You're wrong BP. Headers and exhaust are 25Hp alone

You didn't say a thing about headers in your post.

HokieZHP
07-15-2011, 05:03 AM
As far as pully's go, which do you guys prefer? UUC or EvoSport?

danewilson77
07-15-2011, 05:16 AM
You didn't say a thing about headers in your post.

Post 7 added headers. Plus...when I say exhaust.....I mean headers and exhaust.

Hornung418
07-15-2011, 06:59 AM
As far as pully's go, which do you guys prefer? UUC or EvoSport?

I've had a good experience with Rogue Engineering.

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.

ecrabb
07-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Plus...when I say exhaust.....I mean headers and exhaust.

Word. When I think of doing exhaust work, I automatically assume headers are in play - especially if it's power and not just sound you're after.

Thumbs-up on this thread - I was planning to start one if I didn't find one.

One of the things that's been nagging me about the 330 was that I was going from my wife's '03 Maxima SE as my daily driver (227hp), to a 330 (231hp)... Both weigh in around 3300 pounds. Yeah, I know - totally different cars, and believe me - I have no doubt the 330 will be WAY more fun to drive. Still... I'm spending some bucks - I wanna go a little faster too, right?

Well, knowing I can easily bump a ZHP from 235hp to ~265hp with just intake, ECM, headers and exhaust was exactly what I was hoping for. IMHO, 250hp is when things start getting really interesting (in porky ton-and-half-plus cars, anyway).

SC

ecrabb
07-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Oh, and just for some perspective for you younger whipper-snappers...

I grew up around my old man's - and his friends' - Corvettes (and lots of other American muscle). Back in the late 80's, when Corvettes started getting faster again after the "dark ages" of performance, those cars were 3200 pounds and 240-horse from the factory. They were also pretty easy to mod up to 275hp or so with the same bolt-ons we're talking about here... Well, those cars were a BLAST to drive, and that's what we're getting out of these cars now: Factory cars that are FUN to DRIVE, and easy to make even more fun.

It really does amaze me how far we've come performance-wise in the last decade or two. We're getting similar HP numbers out of an 3.0L I6 that we were getting out of a 5.7L V8 in the early 90's. Oh, and you can put it in 6th gear and run up the interstate and get 30+MPG. Unbelievable.

Sorry for the unsolicited off-topic detour down memory lane. ;)

SC

kayger12
07-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Oh, and just for some perspective for you younger whipper-snappers...

I grew up around my old man's - and his friends' - Corvettes (and lots of other American muscle). Back in the late 80's, when Corvettes started getting faster again after the "dark ages" of performance, those cars were 3200 pounds and 240-horse from the factory. They were also pretty easy to mod up to 275hp or so with the same bolt-ons we're talking about here... Well, those cars were a BLAST to drive, and that's what we're getting out of these cars now: Factory cars that are FUN to DRIVE, and easy to make even more fun.

It really does amaze me how far we've come performance-wise in the last decade or two. We're getting similar HP numbers out of an 3.0L I6 that we were getting out of a 5.7L V8 in the early 90's. Oh, and you can put it in 6th gear and run up the interstate and get 30+MPG. Unbelievable.

Sorry for the unsolicited off-topic detour down memory lane. ;)

SC

Great observations. So true.

HokieZHP
07-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I've had a good experience with Rogue Engineering.

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.

I've looked at those also. I'm stuck between the three of them. Is there any real difference between them or should I just pick the cheaper of the three(Rogue)? Did you DIY install?

danewilson77
07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the werd Crabby.

VA//M3
07-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Don't forget RP trans fluid and RL diff fluid will net you some over 100k fluids.

Also, Maintenance all my power gains have come from maintenance, delete this and that, and messing around with DME tunes.

mr hish
09-17-2011, 04:02 AM
hello guys sry i havent been in touch lately anywys am thinking of giving my zhp some extra power so am considering instaling a pulley system and the bmw performance air filter what else should be done ? am open to all sugestions.

webster
09-17-2011, 06:06 AM
eat your heart out

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8920788&postcount=6