PDA

View Full Version : Oh, It's Happening

echo46
07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Ok, got my plane ticket for Michigan tomorrow to possibly finalize a deal on a 2004 ZHP. Negotiations have been fairly smooth and the owner has forwarded detailed pictures and assures he will produce detailed maintenance history. Going out to give it a drive, inspection and if all goes well will drive it eastward

danewilson77
07-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Yay! Woot!

GSEN820
07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Hopefully it works out

echo46
07-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Yea, I'm taking a bit of a leap, but it should be an interesting adventure. If worst comes to worst I'll just fly back.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Good luck, sir!

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

static667
07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I hope everything stacks up right. It will be an awesome road trip home. Plenty of time to bond with your new baby.

Mike V
07-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Yikes, did you ask someone to look at it for you before you made the trip? It's amazing what doesn't show up in pictures and sometimes other people's idea of something that is "great" is not really all that great in your mind. I flew to TX last weekend to pick up what I thought was a really nice 99 M3. The car was pretty much on the Mexican border, so I couldn't find anyone to take a look for me. It's still a good car for the price but not quite the "deal" that I had expected. Live and learn I suppose; I will never do that again.

I also learned the hard way that cruise control was an option on the E36 M3. I have never seen *any* E36 without cruise but this one definitely doesn't have it. :(

johnrando
07-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Good luck, can't wait to hear how it turns out!

goofiefoot
07-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Yea, I'm taking a bit of a leap, but it should be an interesting adventure. If worst comes to worst I'll just fly back.

Even having someone in Denver checking mine out before I flew up, I had this mentality. Cost of an extra plane ticket is well worth long-term piece of mind. Good thing is, mine worked out well (although there are some small imperfections I wish I knew about during the negotiation process, but no dealbreakers).

Really take the time to look it all over and be willing to walk away. Hopefully you end up with an awesome car! Good luck!

mimalmo
07-20-2011, 05:59 AM
That should be a fun drive back home!

echo46
07-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Just stepped out of my new unbelievable Zhp. 705 miles and didn't want even to stop driving to get gas. Almost perfect, especially for a 7 year old car. 67,000 miles and hardly a mark on this beast. Drives great although I think it is due for some new CABs as I noticed a very slight wobble in the steering upon braking. Otherwise no issues at all. The PO was a gentleman and went out of his way to disclose every bit of info he had on the car. He had great records and really babied her. First up is rear diff fluid change, transmission fluid change, and fuel filter. Oh yea and purchase of a zhp mafia sticker. Well, I finally understand what all the hoopla is about with these special cars. Totally different ride than my 330i with just the premium package. Besides the bad ass looks of the machine the suspension is unbelievable etc etc. I could go on all night but I'm exhausted.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
If the steering wheel is wobbling upon braking, be sure to check pads and rotors, too. I had the exact same thing. New rotors and pads -- today -- cured it completely.

Congrats on the new car.

aurelius
07-20-2011, 09:31 PM
If the steering wheel is wobbling upon braking, be sure to check pads and rotors

+1 on the above quote. It's very likely your front rotors are a little warped. You'll usually notice bad CAB's in slow speed, sudden braking situations.

At your mileage, if you have no record of CAB replacement, have em checked. If they've never been replaced at 67k, they're way overdue.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Yep. The previous owner of my car had BMW rotors but aftermarket pads. Seems to have worn my rotors faster than normal. Nice fat lip on the rotors. All good now. BMW rotors and pads.

I didn't have any wobbling on speed bumps or anything like that. Very tight. Figured it was brakes when it only happened when braking.

static667
07-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy your new obsession!

echo46
07-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Thanks guys, I have a busy weekend but I am going to try to get it up in the air and get the wheels off. By the way does the zhp use the same water pump as the generic 330i? I have a water pump I bought for my 330i, non zhp, and I was wondering if I can use that one. Also, one other thing I noticed today upon start up. The engine seemed a bit sluggish then fired. Already called PO and he stated that he had it checked by his BMW guy and that they reported no problem. Indeed, I found the invoice for the check in the maintenance records. Could it be 1. Fuel filter. 2. Fuel pump. 3. O2 sensor. 4. Fuel cleaner ? No codes thrown. Maybe I'm a little sensitive but it has to be perfect.

danewilson77
07-21-2011, 05:11 AM
-Same water pump.

-Maybe plugs or fuel filter?

echo46
07-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Yea, I will change out plugs, fuel filter and see where I'm at. It started sluggish then had an rpm bobble for less than a minute then settled down perfect. How about battery?

aurelius
07-21-2011, 06:59 AM
If you're doing spark plugs (http://www.amazon.com/NGK-BKR6EQUP-Multi-Ground-Spark-Plug/dp/B000GX9FSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311268042&sr=8-1), also do your valve cover gasket, if not already done per the service records. They start leaking at around the mileage you're at now, often earlier. You will also need the 15 nut seals, sold separately at about a buck each (15 x part # 11-12-1-437-395).

While doing this, see if any oil has leaked into one of the spark plug holes (common if the VCG is leaking) and or whether any of the plugs are loose.

Also see the DIY for cleaning your idle control valve (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-Preventative-maintenance-Issues-DIY-s).

You'll lose a fair amount of fuel when doing the filter/pressure regulator (http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=13-32-7-512-019-M67&catalog_description=Fuel%20Pressure%20Regulator%20 with%20Integrated%20Fuel%20Filter%2C%20330i%20%2F% 20330xi%20%282001-05%29%20Sedan%20%20with%20M54%20Engine%20%28E46%29 %2C%20%3Cbr%3E%26nbsp%3B%26nbsp%3B%20%3Cspan%20sty le%3D%22font-weight%3A400%3Bcolor%3A%23000080%22%3E). Have a gas can ready if you plan to capture & reuse.

danewilson77
07-21-2011, 07:27 AM
rpm bobble could be icv.

aurelius
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Clean your ICV first, since you don't need anything other than brake or carb cleaner and paper towels. See how that goes and report back.

Plugs should be ok at that mileage but all bets are off on that one if your VCG is leaking.

Considering the correct NGK plugs are only about 45 bucks at the amazon link I posted above, I'd replace em when doing the VCG. But do see if all six original plugs are screwed down tight and report back.

I don't know the trq spec for the plugs but don't over tighten.

You might also consider the Beisan or Dr.Vanos options at that same time, since all of that has to come out again when rehabbing vanos.

Fwiw, I replaced my fuel filter/pressure reg preventively at about 63-64k miles. No change in performance but whether yours is clogged depends upon the gas quality or lack thereof that's flowed thru it during its 67k miles.

echo46
07-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks all for your valuable input. I agree that I will start with the icv clean and report back. Doesn't appear that the valve cover gasket is leaking but if the ivc doesn't cure I will replace fuel filter, check and probably replace plugs and I will do the vcg and grommets replace at the same time. Here's my game plane as far as preventive maintenance:

1. Change rear diff fluid-redline
2. Change transmission fluid-redline
3. Fuel filter change
4. Oil change-mobile 0w-40
5. Water pump
6. Termostat
7. Aluminum therm housing
8. Anti freeze flush and change -BMW brand

The belts pulleys and tensioners were recently replaced. Although I know I will need to do the beisan vanos refresh, presently I don't have the classic vanos problem signs. I will also inspect suspension and brakes. I'm sure some of the bushings have seen their better days. Lovin every second.

aurelius
07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Be sure your service records show the idler pulley was replaced. It is sometimes referred to as a "deflection pulley." That pulley disintegrated at 68k in a relative's E46, taking with it the serpentine belt and the entire tensioner pulley assembly. Not to mention leaving her stranded in the middle of Central Texas.

Also replace engine & cabin air filters if they're in need. As you probably know, both are easy to check visually.

If you want to be really thorough with the engine cooling system, download this (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17676561/BMW%20docs/BMW%20E46%20Cooling%20System%20Rehab.rtf).

johnrando
07-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Congrats. BTW, I had a battery that was in need of a recharge so it caused symptoms similar to what you described, so it the other stuff doesn't work, try that.

zhpnsnv
07-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Congrats! I flew to michigan to pick up my ZHP, too.

static667
07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Be sure your service records show the idler pulley was replaced. It is sometimes referred to as a "deflection pulley." That pulley disintegrated at 68k in a relative's E46, taking with it the serpentine belt and the entire tensioner pulley assembly. Not to mention leaving her stranded in the middle of Central Texas.

Also replace engine & cabin air filters if they're in need. As you probably know, both are easy to check visually.

If you want to be really thorough with the engine cooling system, download this (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17676561/BMW%20docs/BMW%20E46%20Cooling%20System%20Rehab.rtf).

I would go ahead with the full coolant system refresh. Its a good idea to get it before it gets you.

Rockin' Tapatalk on my rooted Fascinate.

echo46
07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Great stuff guys. Thanks so much.

Mtnman
07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Congrats on the purchase....and Welcome.

echo46
07-23-2011, 05:17 AM
Guys, need anew hydraulic lift as my piece of crap sears 4 ton jack is leaking again. This is the third one and I am so done with sears it's ridiculous. Looking for a half decent low profile jack. Thoughts. How are the jacks on harbor freight (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10810933)?

kayger12
07-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Good info, reference, and warnings about jacks and jack stands in this thread.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1931-Please-take-a-moment-to-read-this-%28regarding-Christian-Richard-Klorczyk%29&highlight=christian

I've been using an Arcan XL 35R 3.5 ton low profile for several years now with no problems. Picked it up at Costco.

echo46
07-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Just read that heart breaking article. After reading I purchased the Spanish jack. Although I am very careful when I have the car in the air, I will certainly heed the advice plaited in that threat and use triple backup safety. Jack stands, jack and wheel under the car.

kayger12
07-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Just read that heart breaking article. After reading I purchased the Spanish jack. Although I am very careful when I have the car in the air, I will certainly heed the advice plaited in that threat and use triple backup safety. Jack stands, jack and wheel under the car.

Good deal. I'm sure Mr. Klorczyk is glad to see more people being educated and safe about this through the story of this terrible tragedy.

Mike V
07-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Guys, need anew hydraulic lift as my piece of crap sears 4 ton jack is leaking again. This is the third one and I am so done with sears it's ridiculous. Looking for a half decent low profile jack. Thoughts. How are the jacks on harbor freight (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10810933)?

Congrats, good to hear it worked out for you!

I've had a Harbor Freight 3-ton aluminum jack for at least 6 years now. It used to get a lot of action with multiple autocross events. It doesn't get used much anymore but it still works great after all that abuse. It's lightweight and low enough to get under an M3 with suspension work.