PDA

View Full Version : How many sedan owners have installed OEM M3 mirrors

sna77
07-31-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm starting to think I may do this again.. Years ago I had M3 reps on my old e46 325i sedan. Never liked how thye looked (too big) and they whistled at high speeds. Also, I can't live without the OEM European Aspherical Mirrors, so those would be a must.

Looking for feedback from anyone who has instaleld them in their sedan:

- Do they whistle at high sppeds?
- Any issues with functionality? Losing reverse tilt etc?
- Any other observations?

Here's the DIY (that I'd forward right on to my body shop)...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=675377

cakM3
07-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Steve, send az3579 "BP" a PM and he will be able to answer your questions. He has OEM M3 side mirrors installed on his ZHP. I helped BP fix his passenger's side mirror and can tell you that it does take patience to get things sorted out. The mirror motors have ribbon connectors and mounting them can be a challenge. We worked on his for several hours before we got it workable. I plan to order two new mirror motors before taking on this project.

I have my OEM M3 mirror housing & baseplates at my friend's body shop with the Rogue Engineering DIY to modify the baseplate. Waiting to get them modified and painted so I can begin my project.

az3579
08-01-2011, 08:24 AM
I have OEM M3 mirrors on my sedan. They do not whistle at speed whatsoever (they're OEM, designed not to). These are not reps.
Functionality is the same as standard mirrors. The original motors were swapped into the M3 mirror housings, so you keep the functionality; tilting, heating, and memory will still be useable.

I'm not quite sure how others do the swap as mine were already sort of done, but I had to take mine apart as mine didn't work very well when I bought it. The mirrors were installed when I bought the car, and just decided in the past month or two to fix it. I had to take it apart, and getting the motor aligned properly in the housing takes some serious patience. Perhaps there was a better way to do it, but I'm not sure of that as I just dove head first into it.

Be very careful with the ribbon connectors; they are very fragile. Also take care to properly mount the motors as you do not want them crooked. Mine were off by 45 degress when I bought the car, so the one mirror that still worked adjusted only in diagnoal directions. The other mirror motor was shot, so that didn't move at all. Replaced the motor, aligned properly on both sides, and now the mirrors work as though they came on the car from the factory.

Stu
08-01-2011, 08:40 AM
I heard they auto-fold. That's a big feature to me. Does that feature still work?

mimalmo
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM
How's the fitment BP? Any closeup pics of the A-pillar fitment with the mirror base? The reason I ask is that the ones I have seen don't fit quite right. Interested to see if there is a fix/workaround.

sna77
08-01-2011, 09:10 AM
does your 2005 sedan have ribbon connectors in it? Or is your car 6 pin, and the mirrors are 12 pin?

az3579
08-02-2011, 02:34 AM
I heard they auto-fold. That's a big feature to me. Does that feature still work?

No. It is my understanding that ZHP's never had autofold, so that feature wouldn't work on these. Plus, my mirrors are manual fold; they do not have that motor in them.

How's the fitment BP? Any closeup pics of the A-pillar fitment with the mirror base? The reason I ask is that the ones I have seen don't fit quite right. Interested to see if there is a fix/workaround.

I'll take some pics. Mine is the way you describe. There is a plate that goes under the mirror that sticks out a little crooked. I think the edge of that could be shaved though, so you would be able to make it look flush and straight. I'll probably have the pics to you tomorrow (I'm working tonight).

does your 2005 sedan have ribbon connectors in it? Or is your car 6 pin, and the mirrors are 12 pin?

Ribbon. Thought all ZHP sedans had ribbon? Not sure on this.
Mine is definitely the PITA ribbon type though.

sna77
08-02-2011, 02:45 AM
No. It is my understanding that ZHP's never had autofold, so that feature wouldn't work on these. Plus, my mirrors are manual fold; they do not have that motor in them.

They can definitely be done:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=467677

az3579
08-02-2011, 03:17 AM
They can definitely be done:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=467677

That DIY is for 12-pin cars. Ribbon here; I would think the other ZHP sedans have ribbon as well... can anyone confirm?

sna77
08-02-2011, 10:07 AM
I need to pull apart my mirror thingy today and look. I have a 10/03 build date

billschusteriv
08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I thought Marcus had retrofitted the autofold mirrors on his car? I could be wrong.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a coupe. Much easier than sedan.

az3579
08-03-2011, 02:48 AM
I have a coupe. Much easier than sedan.

I thought Marcus had retrofitted the autofold mirrors on his car? I could be wrong.

I believe the coupes don't have the ribbon connector, which makes it possible.

mimalmo
08-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Any pics BP?

Marcus-SanDiego
08-03-2011, 07:22 AM
The coupes have the ribbon after 2004. Therefore, 2005 and 2006 had the ribbon.

What I had, though, is Euro Auto Spot. Those guys did my mirrors for me. Beautiful job.

az3579
08-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Good Eli,
Not many. I'll have to dig up to see what I have... I was just getting impatient and wanted the thing back together when we did them...

The coupes have the ribbon after 2004. Therefore, 2005 and 2006 had the ribbon.

What I had, though, is Euro Auto Spot. Those guys did my mirrors for me. Beautiful job.

Are yours autofold?

Marcus-SanDiego
08-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Good Eli,
Not many. I'll have to dig up to see what I have... I was just getting impatient and wanted the thing back together when we did them...

Are yours autofold?

BP, I'm not sure. I never tried it. However, Scott is having his oil changed today at Euro Auto Spot. I will have them check when he is there.

az3579
08-03-2011, 08:38 AM
BP, I'm not sure. I never tried it. However, Scott is having his oil changed today at Euro Auto Spot. I will have them check when he is there.

I would think there'd be a switch for it, if it's anything like my friend's E39 M5.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I would think there'd be a switch for it, if it's anything like my friend's E39 M5.

And I do not recall seeing one on the door, so I am going to guess, no. I had a button in my 335 for the folding mirrors. I know I did not have it in the 330.

cakM3
08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
You can get the european mirror switch which will also have the autofold button for our cars. I have one installed in my M3.

Was going to retro autofold mirrors this summer but ended up picking up my ZHP :biggrin

lilcdkey
08-03-2011, 08:33 PM
how difficult is it to fit m3 mirrors on a zhp coupe? do zhp coupes use ribbons or 12 pin? what about the m3 mirrors?

Marcus-SanDiego
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
2004 was not ribbon. 2005-2006 was ribbon.

It takes some work to make these work flawlessly. The guys over at Euro Auto Spot spent the better part of a day making sure mine were perfect.

az3579
08-04-2011, 02:42 AM
do zhp coupes use ribbons or 12 pin? what about the m3 mirrors?

What Marcus said, as far as what years use what. You need to pull your door panel to verify what you have. M3 mirrors never came in ribbon, so if you have ribbon, you're going to have to swap your mirror motors into the M3 mirror housings.

cakM3
08-04-2011, 10:46 AM
...M3 mirrors never came in ribbon, so if you have ribbon, you're going to have to swap your mirror motors into the M3 mirror housings.

BP is correct and it was a PITA to do...

sna77
08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Here's a pic of the M3 mirrors with auto-fold