PDA

View Full Version : Stock Navi Retrofit......worth it or meh?

bullfrogs_M3
08-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Have a line on an OEM Nav unit. Wondering if I want to go through the 6+hour hassle of putting it in. What do you nav and non-nav owners think?

*No, i don't want aftermarket. I want the car as stock as possible interior wise. Even with the sucky nav unit that BMW had for our model years.

johnrando
08-18-2011, 12:18 PM
I like the built in Nav, basic, but functional. I've run it at the exact same time as my Nav on my Blackberry just for testing purposes and the calls/directions are the same and within a second or two at most with each other. Would it be a DIY, so no extra costs? 6 hours is a lot of time, but if you want stock, that's the way to do it. To me, it wouldn't seem worth it if you had to pay someone for it, but possibly if DIY.

bullfrogs_M3
08-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Oh yea, definitely do it as a DIY. I helped out a couple other people do it and it is a long process. You have to essentially tear out the entire left side of the interior to route all the wiring. That's why it takes so long to do it

webster
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
as a personal preference, i have zero interest in navigation systems. extra weight, complication and distraction. but if you drive all over the place and need it i suppose a free OEM unit and a day's work for the DIY isn't so bad...

Newjack
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Having the NAV would be pretty sweet. But the only downside is that it is something else in the car that can break or go wrong. I have a nice GPS that I keep in my glove compartment that I use for directions when I need it. But it can get a little annoying dealing with the cord and holding it while shifting. It is all preference.

ranger
08-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I actually prefer the Garmin Nuvi over factory nav. I have OEM Nav in my Audi A4 and my MB E350 and my wife and I both prefer the Garmin Nuvi. Go figure.......

bullfrogs_M3
08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I just wish that the OEM Navi unit had more functionality like the aftermarket ones do. I suppose I don't really need it. Just would be a "nice to have" type of thing. Not sure if the pain of install justifies the "meh" feeling

gr330zhp
08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Dynavin!

Sent from my HTC Desire, Like a BOSS!

GSEN820
08-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Seems like you dont mind doing all the work. I had the same idea but scrapped this idea.

I think you cant go wrong with OEM. I have seen Dynavin in person I like it. I have seen other units as well they look ok.

kayger12
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I like my stock Nav. Like the look. Ok functionality.

Worth 6 hours of my time.

95m3ltw
08-29-2011, 11:18 PM
No way I would bother with the stock nav, it is barely ok and such a pain to use compared to modern touch screen navs. Plus the hassle of updating to new map data, risk of burning the laser using copied data disks etc. The only positive is having the ability to look at the map as you are driving around, I have found the mapping to be suspect at best. I would go dynavin in a heart beat before attempting the stock retro fit.

In the 18 months we've owned the ZHP, might have actually entered a address 6 times on the stock nav and about 50 times on a hand held gps.

johnrando
08-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Interesting take. I just recently (about 4 months ago) updated my NAV software and bought new maps, and everything worked like a charm, it was easy. Now, I'd have to say that touch screen would be much better, but I can live with the non-touch. I don't use either my mobile or car NAV much anyway so that might be why using it is not an issue.

aurelius
08-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Presumably you know what you're getting into if you've done this before but for others considering it, definitely read this. Very complete and delves into the pros & cons, along with a 2-part video review of the finished project:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12358274

Whitexi
11-23-2011, 09:19 AM
I always wanted a stock nav, I've used the one in my cousins xi and I like it. It does look dated but its a ten year old car. I just don't car for how there's just goes crazy at times or the screen goes black randomly.

Johal E32
11-23-2011, 10:59 AM
My cousin has an E46 M3 with a nav but he may swap t out for a Dynavin in the future so I might buy the Nav off him and retrofit into mine

prowlerflyer
11-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Has anyone seen the video on youtube of a ZHP coupe that a guy had tied a small laptop into the nav system. WOW, talk about a change. Sorry I am retarded tonight and can't figure out how to find the link through my phone. Its titled "BMW E46 2004 330ci Car PC Demo" by sdellurti. I wish I had that!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kayger12
11-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Here you go.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHm4rwQAAj4

cakM3
11-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Keith, that PC interface that the guy used in the uTube video is impressive! If there was a DIY showing how this was done, that would be epic :thumbsup

redwagon
11-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Hey not to hijack the thread, but what about Nav database (CD) Updates?
I have the original 2004 version in my ZHP and woudl be nice to have an update. I went to the website referred to in other posts, but they no longer sell the CDs, and only place I've seen is the dealer, and at almost $200.....seems like a waste. Which is why I have the original one still in there.
And a thumbs up for the system. Its basic, and really old technology, but it works. Only downside is that the screen seems to generate a lot of noise that interferes with AM radio reception, so I turn it off is listening to AM.

Tim

edlvrt
11-26-2011, 01:34 PM
For what it's worth, I have read that Dynavin has a new model, 99, that is due for release shortly. I don't have any details but am waiting for hands on reviews once someone has the chance to test it.

Hermes
11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey not to hijack the thread, but what about Nav database (CD) Updates?
I have the original 2004 version in my ZHP and woudl be nice to have an update. I went to the website referred to in other posts, but they no longer sell the CDs, and only place I've seen is the dealer, and at almost $200.....seems like a waste. Which is why I have the original one still in there.
And a thumbs up for the system. Its basic, and really old technology, but it works. Only downside is that the screen seems to generate a lot of noise that interferes with AM radio reception, so I turn it off is listening to AM.

Tim

I'm willing to bet you can find an image of the disc and just burn it, anybody w/Nav know since I don't have one?

prowlerflyer
11-26-2011, 09:04 PM
New disks are available on ebay for around $100. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not they're just burned or original. There was a youtube post about an "original" 2011 disk available that displayed added info like local speed cameras. Don't know if that's BMW or not either. Looks also like we need a 2 disk set now (my 2009 data is 1) for NA.

kayger12
11-27-2011, 05:26 AM
bmwnav.net

Latest firmware plus 2011 nav for $49. Includes speed cameras, speed traps, and 3D perspective view.

The caveat emptor is that they are based out of Romania, and my discs showed up in a hand-addressed envelope...

That being said, it's a great upgrade and everything has worked perfectly for nearly a year now.

As a side note, make sure you have the latest firmware if you're going to get new nav discs.

I initially did not, and my nav kept locking up. In researching the problem, I read that it is a common issue. Firmware upgrade solved the problem for me.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

prowlerflyer
11-27-2011, 05:54 AM
"..based out of Romania"

Sounds legit.

kayger12
11-27-2011, 06:08 AM
"..based out of Romania"

Sounds legit.

That's why it's a caveat emptor.

cakM3
11-27-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm willing to bet you can find an image of the disc and just burn it, anybody w/Nav know since I don't have one?

JP, if redwagon goes over to X5Post forum he can dig around in the navigation part and come up with a solution. He will have to so some research there but the info is there iirc.

johnrando
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
bmwnav.net

Latest firmware plus 2011 nav for $49. Includes speed cameras, speed traps, and 3D perspective view.

The caveat emptor is that they are based out of Romania, and my discs showed up in a hand-addressed envelope...

That being said, it's a great upgrade and everything has worked perfectly for nearly a year now.

As a side note, make sure you have the latest firmware if you're going to get new nav discs.

I initially did not, and my nav kept locking up. In researching the problem, I read that it is a common issue. Firmware upgrade solved the problem for me.

Yup, they are around, but I don't think they are legit. The copy I got worked. I assumed it was a legit business but it was offline not that long after I purchased. I used the direction on xoutpost to update the firmware.

sna77
11-30-2011, 06:31 AM
So I've done this. Twice.

For me it was worth it... I love the integration so much that I only looked at ZHPs with nav.

Here are the ultimate (50 MB PDF) that I followed:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/nav/UltimateRetrofitPart1.pdf
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/nav/UltimateRetrofitPart2.pdf

OEM Navigation System demo showing all the features:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=707624