PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Tool Kit List

goofiefoot
08-19-2011, 08:26 AM
When I had my Xterra, I carried 2 tool boxes worth of tools, ties, tape, etc. at all times. This did not include the jumper cables, blanket, hi-lift jack, shovel, and what-not that resided in the cabin, as an in-case. Obviously this added quite a bit of weight to the vehicle.

I figured I'd start a list of items, outside what is included in the BMW tool kit that would be good to keep in the trunk, but not add too much weight, for daily driving emergencies. I'm looking for some advice here, too, so please add to, or give reason for subtraction of any items and I will maintain the list.

Emergency Kit List
Plastic/Canvas Tool Box
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Blanket/towel
Jumper cables
Small metric socket set
Code Reader
Oil, 1 quart
Cloth/Rag
Mechanics gloves
Wet naps
Paper towels
Coolant
Fuses/checker
Water
Tire plugs

billschusteriv
08-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Suggest considering/discuss:

Code Reader
Oil, 1 quart
Cloth/Rag
Latex Gloves, several pairs

goofiefoot
08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
excellent! thanks Bill!

llll1l1ll
08-22-2011, 04:17 AM
I'd ditch the gloves. You could also just bring a pair of mechanic's gloves, too. One last thing is you could just carry around a bunch of wet-naps that people give you after eating a bunch of hot wings.

I'd probably add coolant to the list.

One thing that's wise to carry is a canteen of water. You never know where you might break down.

In my E30, I carried: a full toolbox containing both metric and standard sockets as well as 1/4" and 3/8" drive ratchets. I also carried one quart of oil, power steering fluid, coolant, a torque wrench, a flashlight, a canteen, tire plugs, wet naps, napkins, a set of metric wrenches, jumper cables, a Hayne's manual, chocks and at one point a hydraulic jack (but I ditched that). My Dad always carried around all these tools when we went on trips as a kid, so I do the same thing. I cannot tell you how many times all these tools have come in handy.

I think tire plugs are a great thing to keep in your car, though. They weigh next to nothing, and if you drive over a screw, it's easy as pie to plug a tire on the side of the road.

Perhaps what I want to know most, though, is where you guys keep all this stuff in your Zeds. My E30 is a coupe, and nobody sits back there, so I just stuck the toolbox behind the passenger seat and cleverly wedged the oil, water and flashlight on the sides of the toolbox. My Dad and I tried constructing a wooden "barrier," so to speak, in the trunk of the E30 so that you could put the toolbox in there and it wouldn't slide around. It gave way, though, haha. Too much aggressive driving.

So, yeah, does anyone have anything like that in their ZHP?

gr330zhp
08-22-2011, 04:39 AM
I have a small toolbox, a gallon of BMW coolant, a quart of oil, upper and lower radiator hoses, jacket, heavy duty flashlight, towels, fuses w/checker and jumper cables. I keep it all in a small organizer I bought at Target. Doesnt slide around and I can fit everything in there

Sent from my HTC Desire, Like a BOSS!

danewilson77
08-22-2011, 04:48 AM
I have a small toolbox, a gallon of BMW coolant, a quart of oil, upper and lower radiator hoses, jacket, heavy duty flashlight, towels, fuses w/checker and jumper cables. I keep it all in a small organizer I bought at Target. Doesnt slide around and I can fit everything in there

Pic plz.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

gr330zhp
08-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Pic plz.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I'll get one in a bit :)

llll1l1ll
08-22-2011, 05:13 AM
In for pictars.

gr330zhp
08-22-2011, 06:01 AM

Nothing special but gets the job done :dunno

llll1l1ll
08-22-2011, 06:09 AM
That doesn't slide around back there?

goofiefoot
08-22-2011, 06:21 AM
This is awesome, y'all. Keep em coming!

We're not getting too out of hand on weight here, but always good to keep it in mind.

gr330zhp
08-22-2011, 06:27 AM
That doesn't slide around back there?

I flipped my trunk mat over on the rubber side, it grips really well, plus there is sone weight in there so it holds it

billschusteriv
08-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Agree. Latex gloves aren't necessary, just lightweight and do certain tasks well - I've just been on my way to work or a meeting and had to add oil or coolant. The mechanix gloves tend to soak up and retain the oil - washable, but not necessarily something I want to put in my washing machine at home. So everytime I put on a certain pair of mechanix gloves at home, my hands come out all oily - regardless of what I'm doing. Recommend not using mechanix gloves for fluid work.

You could also add road flares. I'm a little uncertain on the operation of these - I've never used them and am not crazy about having flammables in my cargo area with the family.

When driving in a cold weather or snowy climate, you could also consider tire chains, tow strap, and sand/kitty litter/spare or junk car mat for traction.

Food for thought, might not be a bad idea to add a handheld CB or other two-way emergency radio for trips. When I was driving to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland for a Thanksgiving vacation a few years ago - we just about got stranded. We arrived in the middle of a blizzard and partial white out. Only single lanes were plowed down the country roads. We were headed down one of these roads at night and saw a truck headed our way - so I pulled to the side. Little did I know, I just drove into the ditch on the side of the road and about 6 feet of drifted snow. Luckily I had a tow strap with me and got that truck to pull us out. If I didn't, I might not have found another person to pull us out for a few hours or until the next morning.

llll1l1ll
08-22-2011, 09:21 AM
CB radio. Good call.

Newjack
08-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Nothing special but gets the job done :dunno

Where did that trunk mat come from? Is this a stock item?