PDA

View Full Version : Are you gonna hide your car from the hurricane this weekend?

Stu
08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Being a college student, I have no garage. Thankfully, there's a huge underground parking deck at NCSU. Are you gonna hide your car this weekend if you're in the path?

webster
08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
if i were in the path you bet your ass i would be parked at the top of a parking garage!

when ike came through texas in '08 it almost got my car...at the time i was driving a shitty old maxima, and i was hoping it would get completely flooded and totaled out. but even after the waterline was halfway up the engine block the bitch still ran! that car was disgusting after the storm though...a few weeks later i had it totaled anyway due to flood damage/mold.

llll1l1ll
08-23-2011, 03:59 AM
I'm supposedly going to NC this weekend to visit some friends. We are taking my friend's car. Things should be fine up here in MD.

Ryans323i
08-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Car's in the garage but I doubt we'll even get any rain this far west.

static667
08-23-2011, 06:56 AM
If I can manage it, I'll stash mine under an empty rental house near by.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.

cakM3
08-24-2011, 10:16 AM
By the time it comes up to Rhode Island I'm expecting rain....lots of it....my ZHP has a good coat of wax....should be okay.

az3579
08-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Won't have any choice but to leave it exposed to the elements. The really bad high winds and rain should be arriving early tomorrow morning, and I am expected to be driving into work tomorrow morning to support our servers in the event of a power outage. Of course, they cannot give me any parking spots that are covered because 99% of the available parking spots (of the thousand or more spots available) are open and exposed, and the only spots I *could* park in that are "covered" are going to be surrounded by sand bags as it's a known flood spot. Best I can do is park this biotch on a slight slope so all that water rushes pash my car and not into it, and hope that nothing goes flying into it. :shifty

cakM3
08-27-2011, 07:09 PM
BP,

Hopefully nothing will harm your ZHP! Drive safe buddy!

L0veZHP
08-27-2011, 07:35 PM
My ZHP is in the middle of everything right now taking everything. I just pray to God nothing happens too it. I parked it a little far from my house because pieces of the roof love dropping form the sky! and around no trees because trees love falling around where i live. =/

gr330zhp
08-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Its nestled away in the garage right now...we will see about tomorrow

Paul's 330
08-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Mine was in our last one only a minor thing, had trickel charger on it and flodded while pluged in , took out alternator, bat ok !! It was covered by Alstate, and the detail at bmw! was done today, but told them to keep it inside till Monday!!

mach.schnell
08-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Bought a waterproof car cover......

(So what are you going to do when the parking garage collapses on your car?)

sea6speed
08-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Yep. Moved it out to the west coast a month ago in preparation.

az3579
08-28-2011, 03:03 AM
So this morning, I got up at 0530, and saw that the winds and rain were active, but not as powerful as earlier in the morning (woke up multiple times to check on it). I thought it was the perfect time to escape the hotel and drive into work. Got in the car, and the 5 minute trip down the road ended up in an autocross of tree branches. I cannot count how many tree branches (mostly small ones) I ran over going down this one road. At one point, there was a downed tree, and I had to drive up onto someone's lawn to get around it. When I arrived at work and stopped at the guard shack, the guy said I had a tree branch sticking out from my wheel well!

Once I hit the parking lot, it was all clear, not a darned thing on the pavement but pavement. That is a comforting feeling, though our building is taking on water. We'll see what happens.

onepercent
10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
I have underground garage parking, but I've noticed a couple times when it rained REALLY hard the garage flooded a little bit (like a couple inches of water in the middle of the garage, which is not where the parking spots are). So I'm worried that if if rains really hard for a couple days it could end up being more flooded. Fortunately I have parking access outside where there are few trees so if the garage is looking like it'll flood, I can keep the car outside. I also have storage in the garage so that's a bigger concern.

HokieZHP
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Yup mine is already on the 4th floor of the 6 story garage at school which is conveniently located across the street from my apartment haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nike001
10-28-2012, 06:31 PM
holy thread bump

UdubBadger
10-28-2012, 06:44 PM
:rofl

different storm but same replies I'm sure

terraphantm
10-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Mine's going to be exposed to the elements. If anything happens, it happens. My comprehensive deductible is only $100 at least.

onepercent
10-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Ha! I didn't even realize this was an ancient thread until you pointed it out. The headline popped up on one of the sidebars or at the bottom and I just wrote off a reply. But yeah, it looks like deja vu all over again!

BRGcoopahS
10-29-2012, 10:18 AM
parked it in my back yard inside of the L shape of the back of my house, away from the trees. Put a car cover on it but it just blew off LOL.

nike001
10-29-2012, 04:03 PM
My step father left for Portland yesterday so his car is at the airport.. so my car gets garage privileges.

If it weren't it the garage, it'd be parked somewhere with lots of big looking, weak trees :rofl

gr330zhp
10-29-2012, 04:28 PM
ZHP was in the garage all day and will stay there, looking pretty haha. On the other hand though, fought Sandy in the 740i all day, driving south to mass to get some wheels. Handled it like a champ! :)

Sent from my iPhone 5.

onepercent
10-30-2012, 04:42 AM
The drainage system around my building and in the garage worked perfectly and there was never any water accumulation. It's a good thing, because the retention pond across the street (which is at approx the same elevation) has been several feet deep with ducks swimming in it for the last 20 hours! More rain to come but the heavy stuff is behind us. The sound of the wind overnight was powerful, but not too bad this morning.

Hope you all are drying off and everything is all right.