PDA

View Full Version : quirky car habits

webster
08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
what do you constantly do that you think might be a little quirky or that most people might not do for their cars?

- i turn my ac off before turning the car off, every single time. my dad taught me to do this as a teenager, he claimed it's less stress on the engine at startup cause it's one less belt to spin. made since to me then and i've done it ever since.
- in fact, i run the AC as little as possible. even in tx summer heat. yes i'm that anal about it. don't like the extra energy consumption.
- i never open the door handle with the same hand the key is in. too risky for scratches.
- i permanently turn off all automated cabin lights (ie, dome lights). i hate light in the cabin, esp at night, unless i want it.

i'm sure there are more i'm forgetting off the top of my head, i'll update as they come to me. let's hear 'em.

mikeyb74
08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
I always turn off either the heat or ac about a mile before I turn the car off.

Katu
08-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Just remember on the highway, it's actually more fuel efficient to run the AC with the windows up, vs no AC with the windows down.

billschusteriv
08-24-2011, 11:55 AM
- I always drive with my lights on.
- With a standard transmission, I always park in gear with the parking brake engaged.

bullfrogs_M3
08-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Just remember on the highway, it's actually more fuel efficient to run the AC with the windows up, vs no AC with the windows down.

Didn't mythbusters do an episode on this one?

danewilson77
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Didn't mythbusters do an episode on this one?

Yes....

-I do not ever operate my sunroof. I only operate my windows under extreme circumstances.

-I check tire pressure on just about an "every other day" basis.

-I wash my windows almost every day.

az3579
08-24-2011, 12:18 PM
I used to long for AC in my old car. In the ZHP, I go Windows down around town and highway windows up. Rarely any compromise on this.

Park in first gear.

I get in and out of the car kind of diagonally making as little contact with the bolsters as possible to reduce wear. I NEVER grab the bolster as an assist. I hate that...

Always back into ir pull through to a parking spot; MUST be facing the direction I'm leaving.

I shift like I'm driving an automatic; shift up as soon as possible. I also aim for to (usually with much success) shift smoother than an auto, no matter the cost.

If travelling on the highway, my mpg gauge has to be pegged at either 30 or 20. I'd rather have it pegged at 20 than 25, mainly because 20 is a nice, even number and has a 'line' associated with it. In my old car, the magic number used to be 25, because THAT had a line for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mikeyb74
08-24-2011, 12:20 PM
- I always drive with my lights on.

I do the same.

danewilson77
08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Additionally...I never fully "click down or up" on my blinker stalk...when changing lanes. three "blinks" and I release.

az3579
08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I do the same.

I actually drive in the dark as long as I can get away with just the AE's and fogs on to reduce the amount of time my ZKW bowls are burning up. Lol

danewilson77
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
I actually drive in the dark as long as I can get away with just the AE's and fogs on to reduce the amount of time my ZKW bowls are burning up. Lol

+1

Newjack
08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Most of the time I grab my steering wheel by the middle (plastic?) part so I don't rub the alcantara.

I park in neutral.

billschusteriv
08-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I get in and out of the car kind of diagonally making as little contact with the bolsters as possible to reduce wear. I NEVER grab the bolster as an assist. I hate that...

If I got new seats or recovered the seats in the e30, I would also consider moving the seats back each time I get out to minimize wear.

Katu
08-24-2011, 05:16 PM
I always drive with my lights on, including the fogs! I just leave the light switch to 'auto' and hit the fog light switch when I start the car.

danewilson77
08-24-2011, 05:18 PM
I always drive with my lights on, including the fogs! I just leave the light switch to 'auto' and hit the fog light switch when I start the car.

If the light switch is in auto...they shouldn't come on, during the day....correct?

Katu
08-24-2011, 06:11 PM
If the light switch is in auto...they shouldn't come on, during the day....correct?

Correct. Until you press the fog light button, it turns the lights on by default.

danewilson77
08-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Correct. Until you press the fog light button, it turns the lights on by default.

Ahhh...did not know this. So....in auto...turning on fogs...turns on lights. Nice....

gr330zhp
08-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Additionally...I never fully "click down or up" on my blinker stalk...when changing lanes. three "blinks" and I release.

This.

Ohh boy here goes my list,
-If it is not raining, I always put my sun visor up
-Usually always have AC off, unless it is just very muggy
-Always open drivers window, hate driving with it closed
-Usually always have moonroof in vent position
-Always have moonroof shade in closed position if moonroof is
-Always use first when parked in addition to the parking brake when on hills
-I use my hazards whenever needed. As well as the proper use of parking lights (something drivers in America dont do, )
-When highway casual driving, i have my hands over the stereo and cruise buttons on the steering wheel
-Never use auto headlight mode also avoid using windshield wipers

Haha probably a few more weird stuff lol

Ohhh cant forget ALWAYS look back when walking away

mimalmo
08-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Ohhh cant forget ALWAYS look back when walking away

Agree. It's like a tic that I can't avoid doing.

llll1l1ll
08-25-2011, 03:40 AM
I also rarely use my wipers because I have Rain-X on there and I'm afraid the wipers will wipe it all off. But I always forget I can put more on.

I park in gear. Everywhere.

The car is never driven with the window completely down. Only cracked or at most halfway.

A/C and radio are turned off before I turn the car off. It says to do so in the manual.

What is the proper use of parking lights, gr? I reckon you use them when parking (duh) in less than favorable lighting conditions and if only for a short period of time. However, I usually turn them on when driving during sunset/sunrise.

gr330zhp
08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
I also rarely use my wipers because I have Rain-X on there and I'm afraid the wipers will wipe it all off. But I always forget I can put more on.

I park in gear. Everywhere.

The car is never driven with the window completely down. Only cracked or at most halfway.

A/C and radio are turned off before I turn the car off. It says to do so in the manual.

What is the proper use of parking lights, gr? I reckon you use them when parking (duh) in less than favorable lighting conditions and if only for a short period of time. However, I usually turn them on when driving during sunset/sunrise.

That is about right, the most important time to use them is when you are parked in city/town, especially at night, and you blind other oncoming motorists with your headlights. Auto mode makes this kinda common now on all cars. In Europe you get big fines for doing this, but they also have city lights there too on cars. As for hazards, they are meant to warn other drivers, ie. when you are coming to a very fast stop like on the highway, when hitting a rough patch of road all of a sudden and in bad weather, and that's why on the E46, the switch is so close to your shifter so it can be accessed quickly :)

danewilson77
08-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Need you to post a thread on proper use of blinkers and hazards. I remember you posting it somewhere...kinda.

M0nk3y
08-25-2011, 06:52 AM
That is about right, the most important time to use them is when you are parked in city/town, especially at night, and you blind other oncoming motorists with your headlights. Auto mode makes this kinda common now on all cars. In Europe you get big fines for doing this, but they also have city lights there too on cars. As for hazards, they are meant to warn other drivers, ie. when you are coming to a very fast stop like on the highway, when hitting a rough patch of road all of a sudden and in bad weather, and that's why on the E46, the switch is so close to your shifter so it can be accessed quickly :)

+1

I always do this on the highway when there are huge rainstorms

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

billschusteriv
08-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Would like to be able to do this. My knob on the business radio was "broken" when I bought the car. It spins 360 degrees, but will only turn on/off the radio when depressed at a certain spot - and it's almost impossible to find that spot. I guess I should mark the knob the next time I think about finding it. I do turn the radio all the way down when I turn off the car though.

billschusteriv
08-25-2011, 06:59 AM
+1

I always do this on the highway when there are huge rainstorms

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I also do this when I am following someone that is driving more that 10 mph under the speed limit (so I don't get rear ended when someone flys up from behind) or when driving in dense fog (no rear fogs FTL).

llll1l1ll
08-25-2011, 09:05 AM

I see! So parking lights when parking in a city or when driving in the city to avoid blinding other drivers. Man, that'd be nice if people did that here. I get blinded all the time by people on the road. I remember a MB I drove in Germany had an aiming switch for the headlights.

I've noticed that a new trend is to drive with your brights on. All the time. How do you not see that blue light on the dash?!!?

bullfrogs_M3
08-25-2011, 09:17 AM
I rest my left foot on the clutch a lot more than I know I should. I am always catching myself and telling myself to move my left foot off the clutch
I park in reverse 99% of the time
I have never completely opened the sunroof. And when I drive the wife's X5 (she ALWAYS has it open), the first thing I do is close that beast

danewilson77
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
I park in reverse 99% of the time

:rofl

Ryans323i
08-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I see! So parking lights when parking in a city or when driving in the city to avoid blinding other drivers. Man, that'd be nice if people did that here. I get blinded all the time by people on the road. I remember a MB I drove in Germany had an aiming switch for the headlights.

I've noticed that a new trend is to drive with your brights on. All the time. How do you not see that blue light on the dash?!!?

I think if the car is moving at night, you should have the lights on.

I'd say my only quirk is I keep a microfiber in the bottom door cubby and while the car is warming up I wipe down the dash, console, and other things. I hate seeing the little particles of dust.

I also never open the sun shade on the sunroof. Unless the sunroof is open of course.

bullfrogs_M3
08-25-2011, 09:27 AM

haa yea, i know. But if I can't just "pull straight out" of a spot then reverse it is!

danewilson77
08-25-2011, 09:30 AM
haa yea, i know. But if I can't just "pull straight out" of a spot then reverse it is!

Need moar pics of your car = the sez.

Should I be expecting the caps soon?

Johal E32
08-25-2011, 09:39 AM
every time I park I like to keep all four windows down one inch or so. But that's only if it's hot.

I put my window down if I'm hot and use AC on the freeway or if I'm doing over 50 mph or so

rarely use the auto headlight feature

Never use steering wheel buttons because it might wear the buttons out :rofl

Hornung418
08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Guys...Please don't drive with your Hazard Lights on. Hazard lights are no substitute for brake lights, and it is illegal for anyone to use them unless you are in a funeral motorcade, a farm vehicle or are a slow moving vehicle on the highway. The only appropriate use for Hazards are for when you're involved in a stationary incident. So please...just leave that feature alone. For bad weather, you can always enable the Rear Fog Lights.

As far as quirks go, I really have none. I'm driving, so no one touches the radio unless I say so. I'm also fond of driving with the windows down and the sunroof open at night and my seat heater on low.

M0nk3y
08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Guys...Please don't drive with your Hazard Lights on. Hazard lights are no substitute for brake lights, and it is illegal for anyone to use them unless you are in a funeral motorcade, a farm vehicle or are a slow moving vehicle on the highway. The only appropriate use for Hazards are for when you're involved in a stationary incident. So please...just leave that feature alone. For bad weather, you can always enable the Rear Fog Lights.

As far as quirks go, I really have none. I'm driving, so no one touches the radio unless I say so. I'm also fond of driving with the windows down and the sunroof open at night and my seat heater on low.

I don't have rear Fogs...don't think at least

Hornung418
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Some BMWs can enable a feature that when pressed hard enough, the Brake Pedal will also activate the Hazards for the period of hard braking. But I see enough simpletons riding around with out any other lights BUT the Four way flashers. It drives me crazy that they are even able to start their car. Look into getting the rear fogs, Kyle. It'd be a cool mod, I think! But use it appropriately!!

billschusteriv
08-25-2011, 10:51 AM

I just looked up the law, but I've also seen DOT signs in the PA mountains suggesting otherwise.

http://www.manythings.org/signs/im/slower_traffic_use_flashers.jpg

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/Washington_CD_2004/PICT1037.JPG

I guess that's how I picked up the bad habit. Really, the only time I've had to use them in traffic is when we've come to an abrupt stop or slowdown and I know people are flying up behind me. I'll turn them off when I've got someone behind me... I would just prefer not to get rear ended. Seems to do the trick and get the attention of drivers behind me.

quikryptonite
08-25-2011, 10:53 AM
No eating/transporting of processed, baked or fried food items in my car. The only exception to this is when I pick up pizza, it goes in the trunk.
Groceries are fine, but 95% of the time they go in the trunk.
I'd prefer it if my passengers don't bring food/drink drinks with them. Most of my friends know now that they don't bring food/drink in my car.

Mtnman
08-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Me too Bill. That is an appropriate use of flashers. Think Horney is talking about the people who just drive with them on for no reason. I do the same thing you do, and I have also had it help me when I've been flying up on very slow traffic.

quikryptonite
08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Some BMWs can enable a feature that when pressed hard enough, the Brake Pedal will also activate the Hazards for the period of hard braking. But I see enough simpletons riding around with out any other lights BUT the Four way flashers. It drives me crazy that they are even able to start their car. Look into getting the rear fogs, Kyle. It'd be a cool mod, I think! But use it appropriately!!

When I was in Spain it was pretty common to put on your flashers to indicate that traffic was backing up ahead of you and one would need to slow down abruptly. I still do it now when I am on the freeway and I come up on a traffic jam.

Hornung418
08-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Those are legal signs, Bill. I've included those in my requirements for using Hazards properly in the USA. I can agree with the 'screeching halt' concept. I've had many a 'pucker' when we're slowing down from 80...

billschusteriv
08-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Okay... pshew. In my "research" I've seen a lot to suggest it's illegal. I'm not driving around with them on... :eeps except in that pea soup fog they get north of Harrisburg on I-81. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I can't go much more than 30 mph...

MrMaico
08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I had been thinking of starting a thread like this....

Most of my quirks are to save wear and tear on things. At least I like to think they do anyways. :biggrin

On a coupe with Adaptive Xenons the lights will only swivel side to side with the steering when you use "Auto" on the light switch. Light switch all the way clockwise cancels the Adaptive function. For that reason I don't use Auto very often to save the wear on the servos that swivel the lights.

When parking in the garage I put the trans in 3rd gear to take the pressure off of the centering springs of the shifter linkage.

Usually close the drivers door by pushing with one finger on the keyhole to save the paint. Also I always use the hand holds inside to close the trunk lid to save the paint.

When I use the steering wheel buttons I try to push them with my finger off to the side a bit to avoid wearing the white paint off of them.

When I open the sunroof I usually open the shade first by hand to save the fragile clips from breaking.

I'm sure I'll think of more but that's some of my quirks.

Barry

nike001
08-25-2011, 04:01 PM
lol some of you guys are crazy about not pressing buttons as to not wear them out.

I drive my car,, and I pretty much let anything come in/out. Except animals. I just don't let people eat meals or anything other than snacks in my car. I don't care about transporting food/drink

my habits:
-constantly adjusting seat position. I'm always changing it around due to different moods and how i'm driving at that moment.

-always turn AC off before turning the car off (i rarely use it anyways)
windows are almost always at least half way down.

-If im not putting my windows down all the way.. i'll try to put them right at the part where the pillar comes down from the windshield and the horizontal one below the line of the window. Then I try to match the rear window at the same level.

-If i'm going somewhere with/to meet someone (sometimes particular girls..idgaf about guys) i'll tuck my aux cable in the sunglasses holder to make my car look cleaner. I'll do that if i'm in a busy parking lot as well so there seems like there is legitimally nothing in my car. If i'm going somewhere with a girl and i have time, i'll at LEAST take the carpets out and pat them off with my hands... even though this one girl I know has a diaster of a car. The other day there were old socks and even wings in her car. ugh. (OT: some people say you can judge how a person lives at home by how clean their car is. So a messy girls car to me is a turn off)

-I keep almost nothing in my car. The only things I have are MAYBE 2 CDs in my glove box (i have aux input; use iphone). A pen, and iphone charger in center arm rest storage place

-before I get in the car, look at tires to see they're not flat. Also check to see how dirty rims are.

-always keep my passenger side thigh support thing ONE click out. Kinda shows that they're 'sporty' seats and I also put my wallet there sometimes when I dont feel like sitting on it:rolleyes Then most of my friends yell and close it anyways. I don't blame them, I don't use it either.

-at red lights. clutch out..in neutral. If antsy or bored i'll go 1st/neutral/1st/neutral etc.

-drive with center arm rest up. don't like the wear and it makes shifting gears a little weird. I feel like I have to go around it to shift. Only use it on long trips on the highway...maybe

EDIT: reading this thread i was thinking how i don't really have any quirks. Then after I hit 'post' i realized how freakin long it is.

Rovert
08-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I tilt my sunroof when I have the interior fans on more than 25% to create a less resistive pressure the fan motors more encounter. Though I think that our cars leak so much it doesn't matter.

danewilson77
08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
What the heck is it with you guys and the rolled down windows?

bmadddd7
08-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Haha I do the same..

I always reset my mile tracker when refilling my tank.. everytime.

danewilson77
08-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Everytime....yup. Must achieve 100 miles on first 1/4 tank...and every subsequent 1/4 tank....or something is up.

Hornung418
08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Windows down. Radio off. Revs high.

danewilson77
Windows down. Radio off. Revs high.

Gosh. You're the coolest guy ever!

Can I hang with you sometime?

nike001
Everytime....yup. Must achieve 100 miles on first 1/4 tank...and every subsequent 1/4 tank....or something is up.

hm..need to try this.

although I find it annoying to have like 112,439 and then 563.4 for trip. I'd rather have 112,439 and 439.6 for trip....so I know when the mileage is going to change :)

edlvrt
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM

No no. Your headlights need to be on between sunset and sunrise, city, highway, interstate, wherever. True, you can generally see just fine at night in the city due to all the overhead lights, but you need your headlights on, not just your parking lights, so others can see you.

johnrando
08-26-2011, 12:25 AM
No no. Your headlights need to be on between sunset and sunrise, city, highway, interstate, wherever. True, you can generally see just fine at night in the city due to all the overhead lights, but you need your headlights on, not just your parking lights, so others can see you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US, you can get a ticket for driving with just parking lights on at dusk (although it's not likely you'll get pulled over for just that). You are supposed to have the headlights on.

Ryans323i
08-26-2011, 02:57 AM
^^That's what I've always thought.

gr330zhp
08-26-2011, 05:20 AM
Well yes, when driving, and it is dark your headlights should be on...

Almost all cars in europe have a headlight leveling switch, where you adjust the level yourself

danewilson77
08-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Well yes, when driving, and it is dark your headlights should be on...

Almost all cars in europe have a headlight leveling switch, where you adjust the level yourself

Think they were talking about before dark.

webster
08-26-2011, 07:08 AM

this got a hearty lol

Jesse M
08-26-2011, 05:08 PM
I always drive with the corner/tail lights on plus the angel eyes which come on automatically.
sunroof is always in vent position
I usually drive with my left hand at 9oclock and elbow on the top of the door, and right hand on the shifter.
I always slide in my seat ass first and kick my legs up to avoid wear on bolsters.
i open my door with one finger.
always shut door by the key hole for the door lock with one finger lol (avoiding paint).
i always back into spots.
car is always left in gear when parked. rarely use ebrake.
rarely use A/C, windows are always down.
i like cruising at low speeds at a higher rpm.
I always put my cellphone in the front cup holder with the screen facing me and wallet goes in between ebrake handle and cup holders sideways.

danewilson77
08-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Bump

edlvrt
08-26-2011, 06:14 PM

How can yall drive around in the summer without A/C? You might lose .5 MPG, if that. I have my A/C vents aimed where my hands grip the wheel to stop my hands from sweating all over the Alcantara.

webster
08-26-2011, 08:41 PM
i like fresh air, i like the sound of the exhaust, i like hearing the snick-snick of a precise gear change, and i hate running anything unnecessarily that will reduce efficiency

Rovert
08-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Windows down isn't about efficiency. It's more about the experience. Hearing your engine echo off the concrete dividers or hearing that burble as you let off the throttle under an overpass. Windows down is about the wind in your hair and seeing life through your eyes instead of glass getting in the way. Windows does is about that bee flying around and coming into the cabin and you freaking out at a red light as you jump out of your car and wait for the bee to leave as everyone else wonders what's happening. Windows down is about freezing yourself top side while using heat on full to pump warmth to your feet and legs. Windows down is letting the wind run through your fingers as you snake your hand/arm through the air. Windows down shows how aerodynamics play an important roll when you position your hand flat to the ground and 90 degrees against the wind. Windows down is about hearing beautiful exhausts nearby accurately. Windows down is also for pointing out fart cans and being grateful for your own exhaust sound. This is why I have my windows down.

MrMaico
08-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Windows down isn't about efficiency. It's more about the experience. Hearing your engine echo off the concrete dividers or hearing that burble as you let off the throttle under an overpass. Windows down is about the wind in your hair and seeing life through your eyes instead of glass getting in the way. Windows does is about that bee flying around and coming into the cabin and you freaking out at a red light as you jump out of your car and wait for the bee to leave as everyone else wonders what's happening. Windows down is about freezing yourself top side while using heat on full to pump warmth to your feet and legs. Windows down is letting the wind run through your fingers as you snake your hand/arm through the air. Windows down shows how aerodynamics play an important roll when you position your hand flat to the ground and 90 degrees against the wind. Windows down is about hearing beautiful exhausts nearby accurately. Windows down is also for pointing out fart cans and being grateful for your own exhaust sound. This is why I have my windows down.

Well said Trevor! I'm usually a windows up guy most of the time but it was so nice out tonight I went for a late night drive and had the window down and sunroof open and in the space of maybe one mile I noticed 3 distinct smells....Nice, even if one of them was cow shit. lol

webster
08-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Love the passion!

johnrando
08-27-2011, 06:19 AM

Love it! I'm the same way, just put "top down" in there. Well said!

Rovert
08-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Sometimes I get chatted up at red lights too. You can't do that with a window down. Then you get to share your passion for 15 seconds and then you're off! "yooooo, is that an M3??" LOL

Washburn
08-27-2011, 08:05 AM
i only turn a/c on when the car has been driving about 5-10 min. never before that.
i always turn a/c off before turning engine off (i minimize a/c use as much as possible)
i also put down my windows remotely about half an hour before i drive
i always place the sun shade in place before getting out of the car in summer
i always wait about 5-10 sec's after turning the key to ON before staring the car - i like to hear the fuel pump prime and give it a few sec's to get ready
i try to memorize rough spots on the road or at railway crossings on my daily routes - i know exactly which side of the crossing is less harsh for the car, on every crossing i have to pass daily.
i usually let the car idle about 1 min (might be 2 in winter) before driving, and keep under 2000 rpm until engine reaches normal temp
i always push the seat back as far as possible before i get out (minimize bolster wear/easier get in next time)
to help longevity of xenons, i drive with park lights and fogs on until the darkness converts from 'enough if they can see me' to ' i need light so i can see'
(same in the rain, unless it's very heavy)
i try not to engage the turn signal fully, just push halfway most of the time
I avoid those reflector light housings on the road that are between the lanes when changing lanes - i hate the feel / noise as tires go over them.
i back in - almost 100% of the time
i never have more than a single key in the ignition lock - all other keys are in my pocket
i try driving on short trips around town with windows down- higher speeds i put them up
if i know that i am driving around town and very low speeds, i turn O/D off on the transmission - hate auto trans shifting back and forth - Bimmer doesn't have a O/D off button unfortunately, but my Tbird does - i really wish the zhp had one.
I operate the moon roof at least once a month, even if i don't need it - i do that to keep parts lubricated and make sure they get some movement once in a while

Pooters
08-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I never brush the side lip of my seat when I get in/out of it. I dodge it as if it was the plague.

az3579
08-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Haha I do the same..

I always reset my mile tracker when refilling my tank.. everytime.

Hmm... reminds me of my weird quirk where I have to update my Fuelly account at every fill up so I know what mpg I was getting. So, I reset my average mpg, mph, AND trip odometer. Gets old, but I have to do it, otherwise feel dirty.

This!

Pooters,
That is my description, to the letter. :)

zhpnsnv
08-27-2011, 01:52 PM

This is an awesome explanation. I drive with all windows and moonroof open as much as I possibly can. I usually go by the swamp ass rule: if it's hot enough that I'm going to have swamp ass on my cloth seats, then I close up shop and turn on the AC.
I hate using the windshield wipers, so I keep rainx on. I hated the auto wipers so much I had the dealer deprogram that stupid ass feature.
I have NEVER used the auto light feature. If it's not quite dark, I go fogs and parking lights.
I vacuum my car every opportunity I get.
Continuing with the swamp ass theme - if I've participated in an athletic endeavor (gym, ultimate, etc...), I keep a towel in the trunk to sit on since the cloth will accept bodily fluids. If it was leather, I'd skip this.
I turn the AC off before I park, as others do.
I always park with the car in first and rarely use the E-brake.
I despise shmutz on the inside of my windshield, so I clean it frequently.
I try to match revs on every downshift.
There are so many more...

Gordo_GT
09-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Since I have an auto,

*I always put my car in neutral before engaging the parking brake and then place it in P (it stops the car from giving a loud clunk when shifting from P).
*I also reset the trip after every fill up.
*I place the moon roof in the vent position whenever I park and it is a warm day, I crack the windows if it is a hot day.
*I too avoid the side bolster like it's the plague.

Many more to come if I remember them.

webster
09-06-2011, 08:41 AM
i only turn a/c on when the car has been driving about 5-10 min. never before that.
i always turn a/c off before turning engine off (i minimize a/c use as much as possible)
i also put down my windows remotely about half an hour before i drive
i always place the sun shade in place before getting out of the car in summer
i always wait about 5-10 sec's after turning the key to ON before staring the car - i like to hear the fuel pump prime and give it a few sec's to get ready
i try to memorize rough spots on the road or at railway crossings on my daily routes - i know exactly which side of the crossing is less harsh for the car, on every crossing i have to pass daily.
i usually let the car idle about 1 min (might be 2 in winter) before driving, and keep under 2000 rpm until engine reaches normal temp
i always push the seat back as far as possible before i get out (minimize bolster wear/easier get in next time)
to help longevity of xenons, i drive with park lights and fogs on until the darkness converts from 'enough if they can see me' to ' i need light so i can see'
(same in the rain, unless it's very heavy)
i try not to engage the turn signal fully, just push halfway most of the time
I avoid those reflector light housings on the road that are between the lanes when changing lanes - i hate the feel / noise as tires go over them.
i back in - almost 100% of the time
i never have more than a single key in the ignition lock - all other keys are in my pocket
i try driving on short trips around town with windows down- higher speeds i put them up
if i know that i am driving around town and very low speeds, i turn O/D off on the transmission - hate auto trans shifting back and forth - Bimmer doesn't have a O/D off button unfortunately, but my Tbird does - i really wish the zhp had one.
I operate the moon roof at least once a month, even if i don't need it - i do that to keep parts lubricated and make sure they get some movement once in a while

lol those are some good ones. good to know i'm not alone on a lot of these behavoir traits...

aurelius
09-06-2011, 09:11 AM
For those of you who use your headlights regardless of time of day, consider having your daytime running lights (DRL's) enabled. This will reduce maintenance costs, especially if you have Xenon lights.

Have a look at the car/key options sheet, which includes DRL enabling/disabling:

http://db.tt/hdqyfJg

MrMaico
09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I thought of another one of mine.....

When I get home from a drive on a hot day, above 80 degrees or so, after parking in the garage I will open the hood and leave it like that for at least an hour or until the next time I'm in the garage to help let the heat out from the engine compartment. I figure it has to help prevent things like vacuum hoses from dry rotting as fast as they would otherwise. No idea whether it actually helps or not but it makes me feel better. :biggrin

Barry

balk14
09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
hands on plastic while driving...im seriously terrified of messing up the alcantara wrap!

side note - - - can any dust/dirt-phobes recommend a good rechargeable vac that actually has some decent sucking power (lol)...i live in an apartment complex and dont have an outlet close enough to take my personal vac out to the car...

lilcdkey
09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Always in neutral, then parking brake, then park
Vents are almost ALWAYS on
A/C is rarely on, unless my mom is in the car
Windows are always down
Nothing is ever in my passenger seat (besides a person)
Nothing is ever in my cupholders
I keep my phone in the thigh extension thing
I never open the passenger thigh support
I dont let anyone sit in the middle of my rear seats
I never pull up my seat
No food or drink is eaten in my car

llll1l1ll
09-07-2011, 04:00 AM
No food or drink in my car is a biggie. I am the only one allowed to eat in my vehicle, and I haven't even done that. All drinks, unless drank by me, must have a screw on top. If anyone spills anything in my car, I want it to be me so that way I'm not angry at anybody else but myself.

However, y'all have some goofy habits, haha.

SC4ME
09-08-2011, 03:33 AM
I am a fanatic about keeping the car clean (although sometimes it might not look it!)
I have the roof open as often as possible,and usually windows down. I like the wind in my hair (at least for as long as I have hair!)
Lights on when dark, off when light, and AE are always on! Fogs on when foggy. I'm such a rebel!
I drive fast. Love to take corners fast. And I do at least one 'hard stop' a day, because it is fun (but only when safe).
No food in car, unless we are on a roadtrip and time is of the essence. I never eat while driving.
I never use the phone, text, etc while driving. I refuse to talk to my wife when she is driving. It is way too dangerous, I love my life (and car) too much.
Although I try to stay to the right (European rules), I find that I am almost always in the fast lane, going fast.
I always use turn-signals. Changing lanes, turning, etc.

Just a few of my driving quirks.

llll1l1ll
09-08-2011, 03:55 AM
SC4ME, you and I have a lot of the same habits. Except for the hard stopping and driving fast. I've had too many tickets :/

Also, that no texting rule got me in trouble with my girlfriend once. I apologized, but I stick to not texting while driving down the freeway at 80.

MasterC17
09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I never run my A/C or use my sunroof even though the car has both. More to the point, I don't mind losing creature comforts for weight loss (see my build thread :rofl).

I also try to run as little accessories as possible (blower motor, lights, etc.).

I refuse to use my phone while driving.

I always use my blinker regardless if someone is behind me or not.

RITmusic2k
09-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Let's see. I have lots of habits but I'm not sure which of them qualify as quirky. I'll try to think of my strangest ones.

1. I always put my sunshade up when I leave the car. Even at night time. I do so since the shade, in combination with my tinted windows, makes it very hard to see inside. Not that I have a habit of keeping valuables in the car, but I might leave a thing or two on the passenger seat that an unscrupulous passerby could think is a valuable. Best not to encourage a break-in.

2. I always park in gear, and *never* apply the handbrake unless it's absolutely necessitated by being parked on a steep incline. I consider this quirky because I have an irrational fear of the parking brake warping my rotors, despite the fact that I'm almost never driving hard enough for the rotors to get hot enough to be a concern.

3. I avoid touching my paint as much as possible. If I can close my door with a shirtsleeve / shoulder bump, I'll do that; otherwise I'll grab the door from the inside window trim and tug it shut. I always drop the hood, and I close the trunk lid by pushing on the license plate frame.

4. The only time I listen to the radio while driving is if I have a passenger bitching about there being no music. Sometimes I break this rule to listen to podcasts, but my driving soundtrack is usually the inline six orchestra.

5. If my sunroof isn't wide open, it's vented. Even in the rare instances in which I'm using A/C. Even when it's raining. Especially when I'm parked and it's sunny.

6. Even though I drive quite calmly and spend a fair bit of time hypermiling, I always drive the car using "race technique". That is, my seat is adjusted for a racing posture; I'm always gripping the wheel at 9 and 3, shuffling hands only when necessary, never crossing over; All my shifts are double-clutched and rev-matched, I DCHT at every turn, etc.

7. There is no #7.

Rovert
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
^ A true BMW driver. You have track time embedded in your heart and future. ;)

az3579
09-13-2011, 12:04 PM
6. Even though I drive quite calmly and spend a fair bit of time hypermiling, I always drive the car using "race technique". That is, my seat is adjusted for a racing posture; I'm always gripping the wheel at 9 and 3, shuffling hands only when necessary, never crossing over; All my shifts are double-clutched and rev-matched, I DCHT at every turn, etc.

Nice! I do that too; always sit as close as I can without increasing the probability of death if an airbag goes off, never take my hands off the wheel, and sit in race stance so I'm ready for whatever these other idiots on the road throw at me. :)

Rev-matches 95% of the time... double-clutch not so much.

CERF04ZHP
09-13-2011, 02:52 PM
It humors me to know there are that many others out there doing the same things as me... I love it!
In addition to many quicrks already mentioned...
1.) When starting, I always turn the ignition on first to prime the fuel pump, fire up all electronics, etc. before turning the engine over.
2.) I never rev past 3k rpm's until the temperature gauge has moved out of the blue.
3.) Leaving from a dead stop, I always blip-blip-blip the throttle while letting out the clutch (as opposed to steady throttle)... drives my wife nuts... "Why do you have to do that?!". . . That reminds me, she says that a lot when we're driving.
4.) During warmer weather, front windows are put down exactly to the point where the window sill meets the A-pillar, so they match. Sunroof is vented. Sun shade open only as much to allow the vented sunroof. Unless we're going out and my wife has her hair "done", then the windows are up and the A/C is on.
5.) Always rev-match my down shifts.
6.) I close the door with my elbow 99% of the time.
7.) I have to say, I am a very responsible and considerate driver, but I drive briskly, always use my directionals, give the person in front of me plenty of room, and "stay right except to pass" The state of Maine posts signs for this on their highways. I think those signs should be stuck in the ground every mile on every highway in the country.
8.) I usually touch 100mph (only when safe) on a daily basis. If even only for a second. Love doing it with the windows down in 5th. Or 4th.
9.) Always back into parking spots, including the garage. Wheels are always dead straight, in 1st gear, e-brake 5 clicks.
10.) Unless I have someone in the passenger seat that needs to adjust it, both front seat always match. Headrests bent in the forward position.

That's all that comes to mind right now... but there's much more where that came from... ;-)

webster
09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
i can't tell you how often i get stuck behind some idiot on a cell phone just cruising at 60mph in the far left lane. irks me to no end! the failure of drivers to stay right except to pass is a huge pet peeve of mine and one of the worst collective traits of american drivers.

also, i think it's funny how some people always park in gear (no e-brake) while others do the exact opposite. i wonder if there's any discernible effect either way. i tend to park in 1st or 3rd with no ebrake. obviously this is somewhat dependent on where you live (flat topogrophy vs hilly)...and houston is flat as a pancake

az3579
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Headrests bent in the forward position.

It is scary that I have that quirk and didn't even notice.
It's also scary how similar a lot of us are... :shifty

Webster,
Parking in gear and having the handbrake on is the safest way to park. If the transmission fails, then the handbrake will save it. If the handbrake fails, the car's in gear and ain't going anywhere.

Any deviations from that is just personal preference. Either of those systems failing is highly unlikely so it doesn't really matter.

llll1l1ll
09-14-2011, 04:12 AM
My old E30 started chugging away one time with the car in gear and the parking brake off. That was scary.

Having the headrests bent forward will help reduce whiplash - or so I've heard.

danewilson77
09-14-2011, 04:31 AM
My old E30 started chugging away one time with the car in gear and the parking brake off. That was scary.

Having the headrests bent forward will help reduce whiplash - or so I've heard.

Got rearended In my ZSP, by someone doing 45-50 mph. I was stopped. I always drive with headrests forward. I had no neck injuries.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

llll1l1ll
09-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Yep, same happened to me.

SC4ME
09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Being rear-ended by a Dodge Ram 2500 pickup doing about 35 mph was no fun. Headrests were forward, no whiplash, but then my entire seat was moved all the way back afterwards (im sure its not supposed to work that way, but it did).

Good thing was, it was a VW and was totalled. Why was that good? I ended up with my ZHP as a replacement (uh upgrade!).

Rovert
09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
I've had that too. An F150 took out my driver side trunk with my sister and her bf in the car. Thank gawd for a strong chassis and good energy dissipation technology no one was injured from the hit. The F150 was in pretty bad condition though but we were both able to drive home.

I've learned one habit when approaching any scenario that requires out of the ordinary braking to hit the hazards. It's second nature for me when it happens and it's saved a few rear end collisions. All I see are people's faces and their trunks lifting up as they see my four ways and hard brakes on.

Another thing is if I see that someone is going to bump me, I'll release the brakes to allow some of the energy to turn into motion before I hit the brakes again. This is only good if there is room in front. :) That saved my injured friend from getting more injured as well as a small bump in the rear bumper instead of a bumper being taken out. BMW bumper car FTW in that position.

gr330zhp
09-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I've had that too. An F150 took out my driver side trunk with my sister and her bf in the car. Thank gawd for a strong chassis and good energy dissipation technology no one was injured from the hit. The F150 was in pretty bad condition though but we were both able to drive home.

I've learned one habit when approaching any scenario that requires out of the ordinary braking to hit the hazards. It's second nature for me when it happens and it's saved a few rear end collisions. All I see are people's faces and their trunks lifting up as they see my four ways and hard brakes on.

Another thing is if I see that someone is going to bump me, I'll release the brakes to allow some of the energy to turn into motion before I hit the brakes again. This is only good if there is room in front. :) That saved my injured friend from getting more injured as well as a small bump in the rear bumper instead of a bumper being taken out. BMW bumper car FTW in that position.

Great great response imo!

gr330zhp
09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
It humors me to know there are that many others out there doing the same things as me... I love it!
In addition to many quicrks already mentioned...
1.) When starting, I always turn the ignition on first to prime the fuel pump, fire up all electronics, etc. before turning the engine over.
2.) I never rev past 3k rpm's until the temperature gauge has moved out of the blue.
3.) Leaving from a dead stop, I always blip-blip-blip the throttle while letting out the clutch (as opposed to steady throttle)... drives my wife nuts... "Why do you have to do that?!". . . That reminds me, she says that a lot when we're driving.
4.) During warmer weather, front windows are put down exactly to the point where the window sill meets the A-pillar, so they match. Sunroof is vented. Sun shade open only as much to allow the vented sunroof. Unless we're going out and my wife has her hair "done", then the windows are up and the A/C is on.
5.) Always rev-match my down shifts.
6.) I close the door with my elbow 99% of the time.
7.) I have to say, I am a very responsible and considerate driver, but I drive briskly, always use my directionals, give the person in front of me plenty of room, and "stay right except to pass" The state of Maine posts signs for this on their highways. I think those signs should be stuck in the ground every mile on every highway in the country.
8.) I usually touch 100mph (only when safe) on a daily basis. If even only for a second. Love doing it with the windows down in 5th. Or 4th.
9.) Always back into parking spots, including the garage. Wheels are always dead straight, in 1st gear, e-brake 5 clicks.
10.) Unless I have someone in the passenger seat that needs to adjust it, both front seat always match. Headrests bent in the forward position.

That's all that comes to mind right now... but there's much more where that came from... ;-)

Channing, i do soo many of the same things lol

CERF04ZHP
09-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Channing, i do soo many of the same things lol

:cheers

quikryptonite
09-15-2011, 02:08 PM
I love this forum, we all understand these things and each other. It's gotta be the best one out there.

RITmusic2k
09-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Thought of another very quirky thing I do while on the road:

I am adamant that my passengers and I wear seatbelts while driving, yet, as soon as I make the last turn en route to my destination (i.e., onto my home street), I take my seatbelt off. It's a habit that my mom and I both have, and neither or us know where we picked it up... but we both started doing it independently of one another.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Everywhere I parked today...I turned my wheels so that they would be perfectly positioned for the look back, and for the walk back to the car. I have never done this. Until today.

webster
09-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Thought of another very quirky thing I do while on the road:

I am adamant that my passengers and I wear seatbelts while driving, yet, as soon as I make the last turn en route to my destination (i.e., onto my home street), I take my seatbelt off. It's a habit that my mom and I both have, and neither or us know where we picked it up... but we both started doing it independently of one another.

i hate seatbelts. HATE THEM. i realize they save lives, and i almost always wear mine on the freeway. but i will admit, when driving around town on roads <40mph i'm 50/50 at best.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 03:44 PM
i hate seatbelts. HATE THEM. i realize they save lives, and i almost always wear mine on the freeway. but i will admit, when driving around town on roads <40mph i'm 50/50 at best.

Please watch video.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/FOX_9_Archive_Room_to_Live

cakM3
09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
After every storm I take my ZHP to the car wash and give it a thorough rinse. In the winter, once the road is cleared off, I will take my ZHP to the auto hobby shop at the Naval Base where I work at and use one of the "heated" booths where I can give it a good wash...

Even on a long road trip (the ///M in my sig after a 700 mile drive) I will wipe down my bimmer for the next day's drive and start out fresh...

I love to have a clean car inside and out as the pics in my sig show...:thumbsup

az3579
09-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Please...... we truly care... wear it 100% of the time...
I personally knew a couple of people that died of "relatively" low-speed impacts where they were still ejected from the car and killed. Not wearing the seatbelt was the reason.

It really isn't cool when you're not secured in an impact, regardless of how minor it is. Even if it's a simple rear-end, it could save your nose and/or head from breaking by hitting the steering wheel or windshield. It truly does save you a lot of pain in the end.

Why do you hate the seatbelt so much? The only reason I usually hear is that it cuts peoples' necks, and that is very easily remedied by moving the seatbelt adjuster up and down.

Hornung418
09-15-2011, 05:38 PM
:like

webster
09-15-2011, 06:03 PM
they are a pain to put on and take off all the time. when secured, i am totally restricted and uncomfortable. i've felt this way for 10 years. i know it's stupid and juvenile, i just can't help it. well i can, it's called just put the damn thing on. trying to be better since i got the new car. thank you guys for the motivation.

ZHPER
09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I never knew so many people did the same things. AC on highway, Position wheels so it always looks good on the look back, windows all matching at right level, not grabbing the bolster when tryin to get out.---one thing that I do all the time is park away from a group so I do not get door dings. walking an extra 50 ft is alot better than having a dam ding on your door

glad we all feel the same way bout these things.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I never knew so many people did the same things. AC on highway, Position wheels so it always looks good on the look back, windows all matching at right level, not grabbing the bolster when tryin to get out.---one thing that I do all the time is park away from a group so I do not get door dings. walking an extra 50 ft is alot better than having a dam ding on your door

glad we all feel the same way bout these things.

Have you seen Waldo?

:waldo

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ZHPER
09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
nope I havent. what is that hopefully I am not too out of the loop.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 06:34 PM
nope I havent. what is that hopefully I am not too out of the loop.

It's the where's Waldo thread. Pics of where, and how far away we park...lol.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1240-E46-BMW-330-ZHP-Version-of-Where-s-Waldo&p=99487

Good night all.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

llll1l1ll
09-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Hahah someone mentioned the seatbelt being a pain to fasten/unfasten. It takes like, what, two seconds? You have to reach your arm back. That's the most physically demanding portion of the task.

Funny story: I was riding with this girl I was dating. This girl was a spoiled little brat. We were in my E30 and she was whining about the seatbelt and giving a hard time about how much she hates it. No matter what reason I gave as to why she should wear it, she just shot it down. So, to teach her a lesson about why she should wear it, I simply looked over, smiled and gave the brakes a real, forceful jab. She about slammed her face into the dash (thankfully she didn't; otherwise it could have cracked), scowled, and put her seatbelt on. She buckled it from thereon.

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Nice.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
09-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Bottom line? Buckle up, guys. We don't want to lose anyone to an accident.

az3579
09-16-2011, 08:15 AM
We should add buckling up to the rules page...

Gheybe
09-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Every time I get in my car:

- hope there isn't anyone near me on a cold start.
- lower 2 front windows
- while they are being lowered, I: buckle up, turn radio off in case it's on, lower e-brake
- apologize to whoever was near me if it was a cold start.

Hermes
09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Main quirk I do is when I'm taking a hard right bend/turn I plant my left foot on the footrest and push so I don't wear out the bolsters

RITmusic2k
09-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Hey, that's exactly what the dead pedal's for! I mean, maybe it's not so your bolsters wear less... but it's definitely meant to help you brace yourself during hard cornering :)

Gheybe
09-16-2011, 02:58 PM
That reminds me I need new seats. My bolsters are so screwed.

Hermes
09-16-2011, 03:12 PM
I was thinking of going to the junkyard tomorrow , I'll see if there's any seat foam in good shape for you

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 03:16 PM
I was thinking of going to the junkyard tomorrow , I'll see if there's any seat foam in good shape for you

Lemme know if you find a junked ZHP with black alcantara interior. Thank you sir.

Hermes
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Fo sho

az3579
09-16-2011, 05:25 PM
That reminds me I need new seats. My bolsters are so screwed.

I would just have an upholstery shop take care of it. They can redo the foam and the fabric.
When mine wears out, I'm having the bolsters done in leather. Depending on the color, maybe the door panels, too.
Or,

If it lasts a very long time, then I might as well redo it in black alcantara.

Gheybe
09-16-2011, 05:29 PM
I would just have an upholstery shop take care of it. They can redo the foam and the fabric.
When mine wears out, I'm having the bolsters done in leather. Depending on the color, maybe the door panels, too.
Or,

If it lasts a very long time, then I might as well redo it in black alcantara.
It was in my plans to get new seats anyways. I'm using this as an excuse haha.

cakM3
09-17-2011, 04:25 AM
Lemme know if you find a junked ZHP with black alcantara interior. Thank you sir.

Dane, still workin on replacing your rear seats?

cakM3
09-17-2011, 04:30 AM
I'm always looking at an end spot when parking my ZHP or I'll park as far away from 'the crowd' as I can...

johnnyrad
09-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Mine..
-I always park on the driveway and drive on the parkway...:)
-To help avoid the men in blue, whilst driving at dusk with the windows up (and tinted) I open the sun roof visor to allow just a tad bit more light into the cabin so my tint doesn't appear so dark.
-I don't engage ricers, punks, or posers, if a legit and friendly bimmer enthusiast wants to have a little fun on a uncluttered stretch of highway, I'm game.
-I drive like my grandmother with my wife and kiddies on board.
-I wear my prescription sunglasses while driving whenever conditions permit, even when it's overcast.
-I have black carpet and floor mats and must vacuum when I get home especially after passengers are with me. Little bits of grass and stuff on the floor bother me.
-Never drive with windows down always up. I like the crayon smell of my car.
-Drive forward, never straight.

cakM3
09-18-2011, 04:00 AM
BP using his turn signals while backing up...:biggrin

az3579
09-18-2011, 04:01 AM
BP using his turn signals while backing up...:biggrin

:shifty

Rustyh
09-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Interesting (and odd....lol) habits. But here's my take on a few:

1. There's actually a couple of good reasons why it's recommended to turn off the A/C before killing the engine, and it's actually been said it's better to turn it off a minute or two before. One, it helps moisture in the vents to dissipate, therefore lessening the chance of mold forming. If you've ever been a car where it smells a little nasty when the A/C is first turned on, well there you go. Secondly, if the A/C is already turned on when you first start the car, it puts that much more stress on electricals/starter. Even if that's only a slight extra load, why not error on the side of caution. Bottom line, in 30+ years of driving I've only heard reasons why you should turn the A/C off before killing the engine and I've never heard a reason why you shouldn't.

2. As far as windows and sunroofs, it's always a good idea to do two things. First, exercise the damned things occasionally! lol Once a week or so, just open/close them. Helps them from binding in the rubber weathestripping, hence putting a load on the motor when you do finally go to open them. And E46's had/have a notorius reputation for window regulator failure, especially in the earlier models. To help even more, I recommend applying a little Gummiphlege (or similar product) on the rubber weatherstripping around the windows every other wash or so. Again, helps keep the window from binding with the rubber, hence less stress on the motor when you go to open it.

3. To avoid scratching the doors when unlocking the car, the simple solution would be to buy a keyless entry system! lol

4. Maybe this varies state by state, but here (Tx) it's actually illegal to drive with your fog lights on if weather conditions don't merit them being on. I would imagine it's not a law that's enforced on a regular basis, but at the very least it'll help avoid the chance of a cop pulling you over when you have that open beer thing going on. :) But seriously, having someone's fogs (especially in one of those big old honkin 4x4's) blinding me from behind or coming towards me either one will pretty much tick me off every time.

5. Re those alcantara steering wheels (which I still despise even though I don't even own the car anymore....lol) make damn sure your hands are clean before you get in the car or you're going to only increase how fast that fabric piles. That stuff eats up oils faster than an old Harley, so if you've just fallen out of a Whataburger or knocked out a plate of nachos, make sure you've washed your hands good.

6. You always want to park the car in gear, with the emergency brake on. Always a good habit to be in. If you keep the car long enough eventually you're going to notice that you have to start pulling harder on the parking brake handle to get it to engage fully. You don't want to find out it's slipping a little after you've parked it on a hill and just leave the car in neutral/out of gear only to look back to admire the car and see that it's started to take a casual stroll downhill.

My own odd quirky habit? I guess it would be my thing about clean windshields. I always carry a towel and windex in the trunk. Even with the motorcycles I'd have those two things in the saddlebags. I hate having to look thru a freekin bugs corpse to see the road ahead. Actually, even if the bug isn't in my line of sight it drives me nuts. I've been known to pull off the road and behind a building for a quick clean. (even though I'm anal about it, I don't want people actually seeing me do it) :)

Rusty

Ryans323i
09-18-2011, 08:27 AM
^^Just a note, if anyone starts to notice #6 happening there's a great "how to" here (http://www.csfrancis.net/BMW/pbdiy.pdf).

kayger12
09-18-2011, 08:54 AM
^^Just a note, if anyone starts to notice #6 happening there's a great "how to" here (http://www.csfrancis.net/BMW/pbdiy.pdf).

Great link, Ryan. Bookmarked!

rikdee
09-18-2011, 09:20 AM
For years, I insist on raising the hood after operating the car. I can't stand the thought of the mill and all that plastic and wiring baking beneath a closed hood. I even have small hood props if parked in a secure area, but always when arriving home. Yeah, I know....

apridge
09-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I loved reading all of these! You guys make me feel so much better about being crazy about these details.

- Always park in reverse
- Before turning off the car I turn everything off (AC, HiFi, radio, etc.)
- Always have the OBC showing temperature.
- I have a specific (unused) paintbrush that is only for brushing out heating vents, which i do daily (hate dusty vents)
- After washing I open and close the trunk until water no longer drips out from the license plate. (I must look ridiculous)
- I use quick detail on the door jambs after EVERY wash

I could easily list more, but i don't want you guy's thinking i'm TOO crazy.

danewilson77
09-19-2011, 11:34 AM
I loved reading all of these! You guys make me feel so much better about being crazy about these details.

- Always park in reverse

I need to know why?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Rovert
09-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Leaving a parking stall is more controllable driving forward out of it. Your visibly is more than doubled and your body will be able to naturally hit the brakes faster than when your neck is kinked back. Another reason is if there is a collision, it's the car pulling out who is at fault. The driver in the parking isle is innocent as the isle is the right of way.

I was driving my mom's van through a Best Buy parking lot and a new driver with beautiful white S2000 reversed without looking. I smashed into his rear quarter panel and decimated the back pushing his car into another while I was driving in reverse nonetheless. Reaction time was much slower as there are many more blind spots backing up. Had I been driving forward I might have been able to avoid the situation all together. After the investigation 100% fault was put on the S2000 driver since I had the right of way in drive or reverse. This particular vehicle was one of few pace cars that drove in the Montreal Grand Prix.

MrMaico
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
After washing I open and close the trunk until water no longer drips out from the license plate. (I must look ridiculous)
- I use quick detail on the door jambs after EVERY wash

I could easily list more, but i don't want you guy's thinking i'm TOO crazy.

I reverse the hose on my shop vac and use it to blow out all the cracks and trim etc. It's surprising how much comes out from behind the rear plate.

I actually waxed my door jambs today. :-)

llll1l1ll
09-20-2011, 03:50 AM
Out of all my friends, I'm the one who takes super ridiculously good care of their car and all of mine have always been referred to as being in excellent or immaculate condition. But damn it y'all are making me feel like I treat my car like crap!

cakM3
09-20-2011, 04:00 AM
If I see rust on any visible bolts/screws I will more likely replace them with brand new bolts....most notibly the screws that secure the headlights to the car...

Yes BP, I replaced those rusty screws...:biggrin

I also keep the wax on the ZHP weekly, especially after returning from a business trip....a great way for me to de-stress!

az3579
09-20-2011, 07:40 AM
I also keep the wax on the ZHP weekly, especially after returning from a business trip....a great way for me to de-stress!

Wait, you wax every week???

llll1l1ll
09-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Isn't that bad? I heard waxing even as much as once every two months is a bit much.

mr hish
09-20-2011, 07:50 AM
- I turn my fog lights on since i have H.I.Ds inserted making the car look nice :p
-I clean the rims everyday i turn the car on .
-Adjust the floor mats even if they dont need adjustment.
-Wipe the dust off and when parking the car put the car cover on.

cakM3
09-20-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't do the whole car every week....I do sections.... hood one week, fenders another week, roof and so on....you get the picture...:thumbsup

The rest of the ZHP get's a wipedown...

Rovert
09-20-2011, 09:30 AM
If anything needs to be transported in the car. Everything goes in the rear passenger floor. It it has to sit up higher on the seat tops, I buckle them in for high G corners. :)

apridge
09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I need to know why?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

It's something my dad has done and it's rubbed off on me and all my brothers (all manual bmw drivers).
Living in Utah the majority of street parking in my neighborhood and city is on fairly steep hills. He's always said to first let the car rest on the parking brake when parking, and then put the transmission in reverse. I guess its because reverse offers the lowest gear ratio, making it the strongest option to hold the car in place if the parking brake did fail.

There is a method to the madness!

johnrando
09-20-2011, 10:15 AM
It's something my dad has done and it's rubbed off on me and all my brothers (all manual bmw drivers).
Living in Utah the majority of street parking in my neighborhood and city is on fairly steep hills. He's always said to first let the car rest on the parking brake when parking, and then put the transmission in reverse. I guess its because reverse offers the lowest gear ratio, making it the strongest option to hold the car in place if the parking brake did fail.

There is a method to the madness!

Interesting, never heard that. So, along those lines you definitely "curb" your wheels then, right?

apridge
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I actually waxed my door jambs today. :-)

I know what i'll be doing tonight... haha I've always thought when buying cars, that the cleanliness of the door jams and the hinge area of the trunk is a good indication of how well the car's been cared for.

MrMaico
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I know what i'll be doing tonight... haha I've always thought when buying cars, that the cleanliness of the door jams and the hinge area of the trunk is a good indication of how well the car's been cared for.

Same here. I read more than once of people finding rust underneath that black plastic cover on the striker in the door jamb so I always make sure I get it dry behind it. I've thought about just taking off the cover.

Rovert
09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
It's just like washing behind your ears! Mom always made sure that happened on every wash!

Hermes
11-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I guess I have another one... sometimes I will take my watch off and put it around my shifter as I drive.
Kinda a car habit.

midlandtech
11-06-2011, 05:31 PM
My ac/heat temp setting has to be divisible by 2 or 5.... Don't ask why cause I have no idea

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakM3
11-06-2011, 05:46 PM
As the weather gets colder up here in the North East, I will place my car cover over the ZHP after it has been wiped down.

Much easier to take the cover off rather than scraping the windows...I also keep the ZHP covered during snow storms :^)

Call me crazy :biggrin

danewilson77
11-06-2011, 05:47 PM
My ac/heat temp setting has to be divisible by 2 or 5.... Don't ask why cause I have no idea

~Steve

You win.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

gmurphy
01-14-2014, 07:18 PM
1. I always do a walk around when I park and before I leave.
2. If I absolutely have to park by someone I take a picture of their plate.
3. I check my coolant dipstick and oil dipstick every morning.
4. I turn on OBC function 7 everyday to make sure my thermostat is working
5. If I roll a window down all the other windows must be at the same level
6. My keyring must have 1 keychain and 1 key on it. Nothing more nothing less. (This isn't really a car habit I guess)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danewilson77
01-14-2014, 07:31 PM
1. I always do a walk around when I park and before I leave.
2. If I absolutely have to park by someone I take a picture of their plate.
3. I check my coolant dipstick and oil dipstick every morning.
4. I turn on OBC function 7 everyday to make sure my thermostat is working
5. If I roll a window down all the other windows must be at the same level
6. My keyring must have 1 keychain and 1 key on it. Nothing more nothing less. (This isn't really a car habit I guess)

What about headrest and seat positioning?

C'mon... Come clean bro. We're all Family here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lanister
01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Having been raised in Ukraine, where roads are reminiscent that of the Paris Dakar rally terrain, my dad taught me to preserve the braking system and suspension components by making sure that the brakes are off when going over a rough patch of road. When possible, of course. The philosophy there is that when brakes are applied, the stress on the components is already high so additional hard jolts from the road could accelerate the wear of these components. Suspension seems to work better and retain better traction when it's free to do its thing. I've used this method ever since I was a teen on bikes and cars with great success.

UdubBadger
01-14-2014, 07:40 PM
I leave my seat folded forward when I go to work for some reason.

gmurphy
01-14-2014, 07:42 PM
What about headrest and seat positioning?

C'mon... Come clean bro. We're all Family here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well my seating position is always moving but I like to be fairly close to the wheel even though I'm 6'3. The head rests are all the way forward. Except my passenger one... It just wobbles. Need to find out how to reseat it or get a new one. Something really weird I do is lock the car and come back 5 minutes later to make sure it's locked! I'm sure a lot of us do that though haha.

gmurphy
01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Having been raised in Ukraine, where roads are reminiscent that of the Paris Dakar rally terrain, my dad taught me to preserve the braking system and suspension components by making sure that the brakes are off when going over a rough patch of road. When possible, of course. The philosophy there is that when brakes are applied, the stress on the components is already high so additional hard jolts from the road could accelerate the wear of these components. Suspension seems to work better and retain better traction when it's free to do its thing. I've used this method ever since I was a teen on bikes and cars with great success.

Interesting! I will apply this!

gmurphy
01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
When at a stop for more than 10 seconds I put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake.(and still have foot on brake)And once the light turns green hand brake off and away we go into first. Do any of you do this? I read somewhere some of the mafia do put the car in neutral. My father is English and this is what they do so I guess he passed it on to me. Same with hill starts. I also realized here in NE anyway they teach SMM. Signal mirror maneuver. But my dad taught me MSM. Mirror signal maneuver. I use MSM because I think it's a little better but everyone drives unique!

3ZHPGUY
01-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Can't believe I haven't contributed yet

1. Always back into the driveway and or garage
2. Always park in reverse
3. Always have the parking brake on when parked
4. Every fill up I log current millage, trip millage (reset after log), Fill Up cost, Gallons to the third place decimal, Month-Day (year first fill in January) Fuel Brand
5. Log all maintenance; date & millage
6. Work on car done by only, Me, or BMW dealer except tires installed by Tire Kingdom (Tirerack Recommended)
7. All parts BMW OEM except, Dinen, Turner, Koni, & Coby
8. Wax must be Carnauba
9. Park with Waldo
10. Clean back dish & every spoke of very wheel every time I wash the ZHP.
11. Full off car, Wheel detail & Wax twice per year
12. Every car wash, I wipe down all door jambs, Boot jams, Bonnet jams, Engine & engine compartment
13. Enjoy the hell out of it
14. Share the ZHP Heritage with anyone the slightest bit interested
Added
15. I always move the steering wheel all the way up and all the way in limiting my body contact with the Alcantera when getting out of the car

NorCal-Dimitri
01-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I always get in the car slowly to make sure that I don't put any weight on the edge of the seat bolster. I'm super paranoid about irreversibly deforming it.

Lanister
01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
I always get in the car slowly to make sure that I don't put any weight on the edge of the seat bolster. I'm super paranoid about irreversible deforming it.

+1

niart906
01-14-2014, 09:41 PM
I've got quite a few, but I'll limit them to these few so I don't seem anywhere near as crazy as I actually am...
1.) I never touch the paint or the window when closing the door, I only touch the lock cylinder.
2.) I always kick my shoes against each other before getting in the car to knock any loose dirt off.
3.) When the weather is nice, my sunroof is open 95% of the time.
4.) I always try and park so that there is an island or curb near by. Preferably on the passenger side, which helps to minimize the odds of a door ding.
5.) I NEVER rev over 3k rpm or more than half throttle when the oil temp is below that first dot on the gauge.
6.) My car is normally spotlessly clean inside and out, however my trunk looks like someone set a bomb off in it.
7.) I try to use my wipers as little as possible to maintain the RainX and put less wear on the wipers.

Pip
01-14-2014, 10:04 PM
When at a stop for more than 10 seconds I put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake.(and still have foot on brake)And once the light turns green hand brake off and away we go into first. Do any of you do this? I read somewhere some of the mafia do put the car in neutral. My father is English and this is what they do so I guess he passed it on to me. Same with hill starts. I also realized here in NE anyway they teach SMM. Signal mirror maneuver. But my dad taught me MSM. Mirror signal maneuver. I use MSM because I think it's a little better but everyone drives unique!

I put the car in neutral when sitting because I don't like holding in the clutch pedal. I only use the handbrake on hills so I can start without rolling backwards. I also do MSM with an over the shoulder.

Avetiso
01-14-2014, 11:28 PM
I never thought being normal could feel this awkward. :rofl Kidding, of course!

I have nothing that I would consider "weird" that I do to my car, except that I usually Waldo park it. I don't even keep it clean, really. It's filthy as shizzle right now.

JKO_ZHP
01-15-2014, 12:59 AM
what do you constantly do that you think might be a little quirky or that most people might not do for their cars?

- i turn my ac off before turning the car off, every single time. my dad taught me to do this as a teenager, he claimed it's less stress on the engine at startup cause it's one less belt to spin. made since to me then and i've done it ever since.
- in fact, i run the AC as little as possible. even in tx summer heat. yes i'm that anal about it. don't like the extra energy consumption.
- i never open the door handle with the same hand the key is in. too risky for scratches.
- i permanently turn off all automated cabin lights (ie, dome lights). i hate light in the cabin, esp at night, unless i want it.

i'm sure there are more i'm forgetting off the top of my head, i'll update as they come to me. let's hear 'em.

I do everything you listed - my dad also taught me that when I was a kid. I turn everything off, lights, radio, AC, etc. then turn off the car.

I never close the door by touching the glass.
I never engage in Steptronic unless it's for passing a slow driver.
When people get too close to my car when I'm at work or anywhere else at night, I either unlock then lock the car or just press the lock button so the LED interior goes on.
I have been taking early morning classes at college for the past 4 years, mainly because of parking. I want to ensure that I get to pick the spots next to a pillar or wall.
No drinks allowed in the car.
Nothing is allowed in the cabin. The side pockets and cup holders and ashtray are all empty. Only the glove compartment and trunk have a little bit of stuff.
I only get gas at night when it's colder.
Never fill up 100%. Usually either halfway to two-thirds.
I like having the quads on at night going down empty roads after work because I like seeing how bright it is. I like shiny, bright things still. :thumbsup

gmurphy
01-15-2014, 04:30 AM
I put the car in neutral when sitting because I don't like holding in the clutch pedal. I only use the handbrake on hills so I can start without rolling backwards. I also do MSM with an over the shoulder.

Yes that shoulder check is important too! I want to get the european mirrors they look to really improve visibility!

Hornung418
01-15-2014, 04:31 AM

The idea behind SMM is to relay your intentions to the other drivers first. If there is no space to move into, are you just gonna wait for it to magically appear? You gotta signal to allow a possible hole to open up. Just my two cents.

As for me... I don't have any quirks that I've noticed. If a light comes on I check it out. If there's a noise I haven't heard before, I turn the radio off and listen again. Fluids usually get checked every third stop at a gas station.

From neutral, I shift into second gear before shifting up into first. That gets the synchros spinning before engaging first and makes the engagement easier.

Sent from my GS3.

gmurphy
01-15-2014, 04:59 AM
The idea behind SMM is to relay your intentions to the other drivers first. If there is no space to move into, are you just gonna wait for it to magically appear? You gotta signal to allow a possible hole to open up. Just my two cents.

As for me... I don't have any quirks that I've noticed. If a light comes on I check it out. If there's a noise I haven't heard before, I turn the radio off and listen again. Fluids usually get checked every third stop at a gas station.

From neutral, I shift into second gear before shifting up into first. That gets the synchros spinning before engaging first and makes the engagement easier.

Sent from my GS3.

I will have to try the 2nd before first when going from neutral. I completely agree SMM is effective and believe MSM is good too. Just a preference thing in my opinion. In heavy traffic I will sometimes revert to SMM but usually I do a mirror check before I signal and move. But at least I'm bothering to look lol some people around here just go for it and hope nobody is next to them!

danewilson77
01-15-2014, 05:32 AM

Why?

E_Rak
01-15-2014, 06:18 AM

Sent from my GS3.

Yup. Not that I own a manual, but I've always done this out of habit, because it is often necessary on Subies in order to avoid a big crunch.

Sent from my oversized iPhone | HTC One

billyjack
01-15-2014, 06:44 AM
I've probably got way too many to think of but here's one I know. Every time I get out I manually move the seatbelt to its proper resting position. I think the seatbelt retention is pretty chintzy in E46's. If I don't it would cause major wear to the outside bolster (which I also try to avoid sliding on whilst getting into or out of the car).

danewilson77
01-15-2014, 08:44 AM
I've probably got way too many to think of but here's one I know. Every time I get out I manually move the seatbelt to its proper resting position.

Same here.

johnrando
01-15-2014, 09:09 AM
If you signal first here that's essentially telling anyone to fill that hole up and not let you over, lol. Def. MSM for me. Of course I'm usually going a little quicker than the avg traffic flow which makes it easier to lane change, depending on conditions of course.

RITmusic2k
01-15-2014, 09:33 AM

Why?

Hah, at first I thought he meant he always backed into parking spaces, and I was going to explain why I do it to have an easier time pulling forward and being able to see into the traffic lane/parking lot sooner...

Then I realized he meant that he leaves the car in 'R' when parking. If I had to guess, it'd be because reverse is the shortest gear in the transmission and therefore is the best at resisting movement in the event of the parking brake failing, etc.

prowlerflyer
01-15-2014, 09:36 AM
I open the hood when I park the car in the garage at home. Attempting to reduce the heat bake on the engine bay wiring and plastics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
01-15-2014, 09:41 AM
I open the hood when I park the car in the garage at home. Attempting to reduce the heat bake on the engine bay wiring and plastics.
Wow, never heard of that one. :-]

prowlerflyer
01-15-2014, 09:55 AM
My wife finds it amusing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Why?

This is something I started when I started driving and may have been suggested to me by someone influential. Because of the design of the engine, it can't start backwards so, leaving it in reverse wouldn't allow it to start itself rolling down a steep hill with the ignition on caused by a defective switch.

Second; been a habit for so long, I always know what gear I'm I when I start my car.

danewilson77
01-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks Guy.

alexandre
01-15-2014, 11:08 AM
I cannot stand any indicator that's not supposed to be on the cluster. Any SES or low fluid is addressed immediately.

I generally replace stuff before it breaks (needed at this mileage to keep a reliable car) and address everything I can "while I'm in there".

No food in my car except groceries.

No junk that I don't need in the car. Trunk and backseat are empty most of the time.

I either listen to inline-six magic or keep the volume low. Passengers that insist on cranking up the volume are met with forceful resistance from the steering wheel controls.

I rarely use the e-brake unless parking on a hill.

I reset the trip odo, MPG, and average speed every time I fill up.

When 91 octane goes over $5.50, I'll fill up with 89... but under that not a chance (Canadian prices... normal pricing is $5.15 lol)

Every fuel receipt goes on Fuelly.
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-metric/131583.png (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/alexlaramee/330i)

I try to shift as much as possible like an automatic, and stay under 2,500 rpm until 10-15 minutes after coolant temp is at 12:00.

I drive like my brakes are non-existent, unless someone is following me closely.

If I turn my Xenons on, they're staying on for the reminder of the trip.

I never idle - if I have to wait more than 10 seconds, car is turned off (unless I just cold-started it).

I carry containers of oil, windshield washer, coolant, brake fluid and ATF in my drug bin.

I never manage to maintain decent MPG throughout a tank. In a 350-mile tank I usually drive conservatively most of the time, but there's always 100 miles or so where I'll drive it like I stole it and scrap the average...

HVAC is at 65F all the time, on auto, with the middle dial at the white line, auto recirculation on, A/C on. Rarely touch it.

... and I tend to neglect washing my car. lol.

johnrando
01-15-2014, 11:15 AM
This is something I started when I started driving and may have been suggested to me by someone influential. Because of the design of the engine, it can't start backwards so, leaving it in reverse wouldn't allow it to start itself rolling down a steep hill with the ignition on caused by a defective switch.

Second; been a habit for so long, I always know what gear I'm I when I start my car.

That completely makes sense for older model cars, guessing likely when he told you that. Funny that we still do those things that are habits though. For example, what are the chances that a recent model BMW would have that failure? Still, not a bad practice though.

I know I've added "always turn the radio off" and "prime the fuel pump" after reading some of these quite a while ago.

Washburn
01-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Any journey longer than 2-3 hrs, I leave the hood open right after parking. (if it's in a area where I can do that)
I also NEVER put my knee on the seat, trying to reach and retrieve something that I have forgotten like a phone etc...I've seen people 'knee' the seats...
(I am paranoid that heating elements will break).
I turn off climate control about half a mile away from the destination. (and also only start them after I've driven for a while - unless I need to defrost before driving)
I Always wait for fuel pump prime noise before starting.
My car's clock is set to 24 hr system :) comes from having lived in Europe for a while AND my job being in a hospital .

fredo
01-15-2014, 11:48 AM
I usually drive with both hands on the steering wheel. No, I didn't get that from defensive driving classes. My goal is to minimize the use of the armrest in between the front seats. I have seen some in really bad shape.

derbo
01-15-2014, 11:58 AM
My side vents must face partially up and towards the closest window. The middle vents face up towards the sunroof near a 45 degree angle.
Always park in gear
My floormats must be perfect in all seat areas.
Rear Armrest should always be in
Seatbelts must be in their lowerst resting postion for the rear seats and laid flat
rear middle seatbelt if not in use must be detached and folded at the bottom of the rear seat
Windows must be clean at all times
Sunroof is never fully opened, just tilt

Thats all i can really think of

Washburn
01-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Might wanna open the sunroof fully once in a while so that the rails remain in good condition, though...

derbo
01-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Might wanna open the sunroof fully once in a while so that the rails remain in good condition, though...

I opened it a month ago to clean the rails and regrease them. :)

Washburn
01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Oh ok - cool -
I just mentioned it because you said you never fully open it. :)

alexandre
01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
I opened it a month ago to clean the rails and regrease them. :)

How do you do that? My sunroof's operation is a bit twitchy, I'm probably due for that.

iP4S + TT2

Lanister
01-15-2014, 12:20 PM
How do you do that? My sunroof's operation is a bit twitchy, I'm probably due for that.

iP4S + TT2

DYI request on sunroof maintenance...

gmurphy
01-15-2014, 01:28 PM
If you signal first here that's essentially telling anyone to fill that hole up and not let you over, lol. Def. MSM for me. Of course I'm usually going a little quicker than the avg traffic flow which makes it easier to lane change, depending on conditions of course.
Yes lol that does mean "look that guy is trying to get into MY LANE better floor it"

derbo
01-15-2014, 01:35 PM

iP4S + TT2

just remove grease in rails and regrease and open n close roof?

oldzilla
01-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Turn the radio off before I turn off the car, and turn it on before I start it

Put it in first gear when parked
Run my hand around the steering wheel
Double tap the brake pedal before starting

gmurphy
01-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Turn the radio off before I turn off the car, and turn it on before I start it

Put it in first gear when parked
Run my hand around the steering wheel
Double tap the brake pedal before starting

I like number 3!

QC_ZHP
01-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Step 1. Park car
Step 2. Engage parking brake, put in reverse
Step 3. Exit VERY carefully.
Step 4. Lock car doors
Step 5. Walk away, look back. Smile to myself. Couple more steps, and look back again.

BRGcoopahS
01-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Hmmm...

I always make sure no one leaves the seat forward when people are leaving from the back seats
I never slam the door
I try to turn off everything before turning the car off, even the fogs
I drive with the fogs on 100% of the time at night
I usually let the fuel pump do it's thing before turning her over
I let the auto leveling hid's level before starting her
I no longer use the arm rest, eventually want to get it deleted.
I back into spaces fairly often now.
When parking on an incline, I will let the trans do the "holding" of the car in place before I pull the e brake. I don't like when the rear sags down from the e brake.
I never slam the hood or trunk
I clean the steering wheel fairly often... Hate a greasy wheel
I sometimes check the parts I fixed are still in tact (LOL)
If it's bad out (mainly just snow) I will drive in the peak of the storm with TCS off and slam the brakes and take turns harder than I should just to learn the car better
I drive with the windows down all the time as long as it's Atleast 40 degrees
I wash it weekly when it's fall, spring, or summer. Otherwise monthly if it's winter (too cold)
I make sure the rear seat belts are in their clips after friends have left the car.
I will wd40 the door lock mechanism in the winter as it gets stuck.
Lastly, I ALWAYS turn around to look at her after I've exited the car. Most of the times which I will say to myself " how do I own this car?" I can't even imagine having an M3 or something more "special" from BMW.

Oh and I have a bit of OCD as you can see haha.

BRGcoopahS
01-16-2014, 09:49 PM
I usually drive with both hands on the steering wheel. No, I didn't get that from defensive driving classes. My goal is to minimize the use of the armrest in between the front seats. I have seen some in really bad shape.

If your car is a manual, try driving it with it up. I find it to be much more comfortable

mLuMaN83
01-16-2014, 10:04 PM
-Passenger seat must be perfectly even with drivers seat with head rests pointed forward.
-Temp always showing
-Volume knob always at 7 clicks. Seriously. If I feel it isn't, I turn it down then back to 7 clicks. It's the perfect volume. On rare occasion I will turn it louder but always goes back to 7 clicks.
-Rear veiw mirror must be perfectly centered so when I look in the mirror, it;s centered between the top and bottom of the window.
-AC vent position on the drivers side must never be tampered with. I will have an effing conniption fit if they get moved.
-Any sort of streaking on the windshield drives me batshit crazy. I replace wipers when I get tiny minute streaks. Must be perfectly clean.

Theres more...

Bird-Dog
01-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Some of these may have been mentioned, but...

I always lock the car when (occasionally) parking with the convertible top down (such as a quick dash into the convenience store) - That locks trunk & glove box to keep would-be thieves away from anything worth stealing.
Rarely drive with top down in the heat of summer except at night. Top-down driving is best enjoyed in spring & fall here (and sometimes winter!).
Periodically swap diamond-remote keys to keep them both charged.
Always keep passenger seat far enough back to see door lock post from driver's seat.
Never allow any trash to stay in car past next stop - Sometimes will even make a special stop just to get rid of it.
Rarely put anything in the trunk that's not tied down with bungies or net.
Always remove rear seatbelts from hold-down clips (vert) before allowing anyone to climb back there. Prevents them from ripping the clips out.
Prefer to drive with markers & fogs in late afternoon pre-twilight.
Rarely use trunk grip latch, use key or interior button - Ripped entire grip off my previous e46 hurriedly trying to open trunk when latch didn't actuate.

NorCal-Dimitri
01-18-2014, 01:29 PM
I catch myself lifting up the armrest whenever someone is the passenger seat. If it's down, 90% of the time the passenger will rest on it and 100% of the time that'll mess up my shifting.

-Passenger seat must be perfectly even with drivers seat with head rests pointed forward.

+1

damonchoy
01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Glad to see I'm not alone with many of my quirks:

- Windows must be the same amount down, and are most often down to where the top of the glass meets the "corner" if that makes any sense
- Always park the car in first gear with e-brake on
- Always take the car out of gear before starting it, don't know why...
- Car is washed every week, even in the Winter (in the Summer I hand wash, in the Winter I take it through the touchless wash at Shell)
- Always sit down sideways and kick feet together (not on the sideskirts!) before entering the car to remove loose dirt/snow off my shoes
- I always back into parking spots
- I always park very far away and most often in a corner spot
- Sunroof shade is always open, I like light... or maybe I miss my convertible :(
- I have the key to my car on a BMW keychain with no other keys on it
- Revmatch every downshift
- Always use door handle to close the door
- Always use handle inside of trunk to close the trunk, that way I don't touch any paint
- Passenger seat and drivers seat are adjusted to look identical
- Always ensure all passengers have their seatbelts fastened, car does not go anywhere unless they do (you can walk home if you don't want to wear your seatbelt in my car)
- Always leave my dashcam running when parked, especially in my school parking lot which scares the living crap out of me to park there
- Keep track of all maintenance and modification history on my computer
- Rear seatbelts always kept "neat" after use, middle one rolled
- All HVAC vents angled the same way, temperature set at 21.0 degrees Celsius and is never changed
- Always look back at my car after parking

... I think that's it! ;)

jiggz
01-21-2014, 01:02 PM
I have a long list of items like many of you, but my latest is due to a new Alcantara wheel...I'm sure it will pass once it's not so new...

-after I load groceries into my car, I go back into the store and wash my hands (nothing grosses me out more than handles on shopping carts, escalators, etc.)

webster
01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
my local grocery store started stocking sani wipes on the wall next to the cart corral when you enter. love that idea!

gmurphy
01-21-2014, 07:16 PM
I have a long list of items like many of you, but my latest is due to a new Alcantara wheel...I'm sure it will pass once it's not so new...

-after I load groceries into my car, I go back into the store and wash my hands (nothing grosses me out more than handles on shopping carts, escalators, etc.)

I keep a pair of gloves in the car for just this! I hate having dirty hands especially from places everyone and their dog touch.

UdubBadger
01-24-2014, 04:58 AM
Noticed today I hate when "regular" bmws (and Audi's, MBs and others but mainly bmws) drive like it's the Indy500 around me. I don't know why but then I decide I must pwn them somehow by catching up, cutting them off and slowing down or boxing them in to traffic just to piss them off.

Case in point - today an E46 325xi comes flying up past me on the right in the city (35mph limit while I'm doing 38 in the left lane). We both stop at a light and before it even turns green guy floors it off the line. I catch up and box him in behind a city bus. I can tell he's freaking out and even attempts to slow down to cut behind me so I slow down even more (2 lane road). Just as I think he's about to cross the median to get around the bus stops and he passes me again on the left while I stare him down. Then a cop pulls out ahead of him on the right and he slams on his brakes. I made my left turn a few blocks ahead but was laughing the whole way.

Goin' HAM mobile

ryankokesh
01-24-2014, 05:24 AM

Sent from my iPhone

Bird-Dog
01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Noticed today I hate when "regular" bmws (and Audi's, MBs and others but mainly bmws) drive like it's the Indy500 around me. I don't know why but then I decide I must pwn them somehow by catching up, cutting them off and slowing down or boxing them in to traffic just to piss them off.

Case in point - today an E46 325xi comes flying up past me on the right in the city (35mph limit while I'm doing 38 in the left lane). We both stop at a light and before it even turns green guy floors it off the line. I catch up and box him in behind a city bus. I can tell he's freaking out and even attempts to slow down to cut behind me so I slow down even more (2 lane road). Just as I think he's about to cross the median to get around the bus stops and he passes me again on the left while I stare him down. Then a cop pulls out ahead of him on the right and he slams on his brakes. I made my left turn a few blocks ahead but was laughing the whole way.
I won't say I've never done something like that, but lately I find more joy in punishing idiots in more subtle ways.

For example, the road that runs in front of my neighborhood widens out to 4-lanes a few blocks up, in front of a public park full of kids (playground, youth baseball fields, etc..). It's posted at 35 MPH and the cops routinely set up radar traps. Everyone who drives there regularly knows to keep their speed down. But, inevitably there's going to be some jerk trying to push his/her way through traffic, tailgating, weaving, giving other drivers the finger for being in their way, etc... When they ride my bumper, I've made an art of blocking to get them boiling, then open up just the right gap for them to blast around me and sprint ahead (once past the main area for kids), hoping to sucker them into hitting the speed-trap at full speed. It's very gratifying to top the rise where the cops sit and see these pricks being waived over to get their ticket that could have been so easily avoided by just going with the flow!

UdubBadger
01-24-2014, 11:52 AM
That's great!

Goin' HAM mobile

Avetiso
01-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Well done, Seth.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

gmurphy
01-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Goin' HAM mobile

Yes I don't understand why they all do this...

mLuMaN83
01-24-2014, 08:49 PM
When I was younger, racing was awesome, nowadays, just dumb. Proving you are better than somebody else by making your car go faster?

I'm just old I guess. I drive like a grampa anymore. I stay away from idiots and traffic in general.

Ide rather show my manliness by treating others right, keeping my promises, and working intelligently toward my future.

UdubBadger
01-24-2014, 08:53 PM
I have noticed that too, even with the M. No need to prove much anymore I guess

Goin' HAM mobile

ELCID86
01-25-2014, 06:36 AM
Ide rather show my manliness by treating others right, keeping my promises, and working intelligently toward my future.

Well said.

gmurphy
01-25-2014, 04:16 PM
I check to make sure my turn signals function when I'm behind someone and can see the reflection of my car

ELCID86
01-26-2014, 10:49 AM
I check to make sure my turn signals function when I'm behind someone and can see the reflection of my car

I do that too. Also the head lights and high beams (at a stop light).

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Avetiso
01-26-2014, 11:01 AM

I tried that once. I got the finger.

ELCID86
01-26-2014, 11:14 AM

There is always that risk. Works best on a van with higher back windows.

oldzilla
01-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Happens to me all the time, I just waive all ten fingers at them I feel bad that they only have one.

gmurphy
01-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Happens to me all the time, I just waive all ten fingers at them I feel bad that they only have one.

Ha that's good.

oldzilla
01-26-2014, 03:25 PM
:)

Bird-Dog
01-26-2014, 03:59 PM
So, let me get this straight. You guys are sayin' you haven't put up mirrors in your garage yet? Tsk-tsk.

gmurphy
01-26-2014, 04:22 PM

(At a stop light) I should of added that too haha.

oldzilla
01-26-2014, 04:32 PM
So, let me get this straight. You guys are sayin' you haven't put up mirrors in your garage yet? Tsk-tsk.

Never thought of that, thanks for the tip

gmurphy
01-26-2014, 04:36 PM

Now I am...

gmurphy
02-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Just figured out I can save wear on my not-special seats by setting the number 3 memory position before I get out. It is set at being further back and is tilted back more when compared to my driving position.

ELCID86
02-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Just figured out I can save wear on my not-special seats by setting the number 3 memory position before I get out. It is set at being further back and is tilted back more when compared to my driving position.

Not a bad idea.

gmurphy
02-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Not a bad idea.

Now I will just wear out the seat motor :)

quikryptonite
02-20-2014, 09:27 AM
For some weird reason, I never set my climate control to an odd number. It is always 68, 70, 72, etc...