PDA

View Full Version : Canadian ZHP Question

Farsight
09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the world of E46s, especially performance packages, and I was hoping to get some input from community members who have more expertise in this area.

I'm currently looking at an '04 330CI from a private party, and there are a few oddities with the car that I would like to gauge your opinions about:

The advertisement for the car specified that it has only the M-Sport package (basic sports package) and looking from the picture, the car doesn't have the 18" dbl spoke wheel upgrade. However, when I actually went to view the car and take it for a test drive, the owner told me that there's a minor engine boost (less than 5% extra horse power) and that the car has the $4000 performance package - he wasn't aware of a difference between an M-Sport and the M-Performance (ZAM).

I thought this might have been enthusiastic salesmanship at first, but the inside of the car had automatic sports seats, the cold weather package, black cube trim, and the premium package. Also, the trim around the car's windows were black (vs silver for regular non-performance), and it has the performance package front grille and back bottom lip, as well as the customary sports spoiler. However, as far as I could tell, it had the standard 6.5 mm exhaust tips with what looked like smaller exhaust tubes inside (flap?).

What's weirder is that when I called BMW Canada this morning to verify the options on the car, they said that it only has the AG M Sport package, and the Premium package. They couldn't find anything about the black cube trim, the black window trim, or the front grille/back lip. The car has self-leveling headlights, but they didn't see that come up either.

I'm fairly comfortable with the deal that struck regardless of it being having a performance package, but I'm fairly curious as to whether I've got my hands on a really good deal, or just an acceptable one.

There's another odd thing about the car: the current owner bought a carfax report, which shows 0 accidents, but when I verified this by getting my own carproof report, it shows that there's an accident record, but with $0 estimate dmg and no claims details. Not really sure what that means.

Would a good mechanic be able to tell if the car has the Performance Package by looking at the engine? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the Family Comrade!

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 12:11 PM
This is the answer from the FAQ.

Question: And what about the BMW 330 vehicles in Canada that look like the ZHP in the United States?
Answer: Canada was different. In fact, BMW created the M Performance Package in Canada. It not only got the looks of its US counterpart, it also got the upgraded camshafts and engine tweaks. One thing that it didn't get, though, was the red needles on the instrument cluster. Moreover, the redline is at 6500 RPM, even though the car will rev to 6800 RPM -- just like its US ZHP counterpart. It also got the BMW Performance Package exhaust with the thinner walls (exactly like the one on the ZHP). Therefore, while it was not given the ZHP code name, it's simply a ZHP by another name. Indeed, it was given the option code of ZAM.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1789-Frequently-Asked-Questions-%28FAQ%29-About-the-BMW-E46-330-ZHP-Performance-Package-Option

johnrando
09-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Welcome. I'm not really sure what you'd look at wrt the engine to tell it's a performance package, as that's more internal (CAM, etc). It's more so the other cues, per what Dane posted.

Farsight
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
This 'might' be a dumb question, but is it easy to look at the internal stuff? like camshaft and whatnot.

az3579
09-06-2011, 12:47 PM
This 'might' be a dumb question, but is it easy to look at the internal stuff? like camshaft and whatnot.

No. You would have to take off the valve cover to do that, which isn't a simple 2 minute job. It is simple, but requires you to remove a bunch of other stuff to take off the valve cover.

If you could post pics, that would help...

Farsight
09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Will do! I'm picking the car up tomorrow after safety and PPI. Will load pics of contradicting features.

az3579
09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Will do! I'm picking the car up tomorrow after safety and PPI. Will load pics of contradicting features.

So far everything points to a 330 with the M-Sport package. If it doesn't have the 18" wheels and it has the slightly smaller exhaust tips with the flap in one side, then the M-Sport fits the bill. Does it have splitters in the front? If so, it may be an M-Clubsport with potentially swapped out wheels. A telltale to this is if it says Clubsport on the door sills.

At this point, I would say it's a 330Ci with the M-Sport package.

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Odds are...you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the camshafts anyways.

Farsight
09-06-2011, 02:27 PM
So far everything points to a 330 with the M-Sport package. If it doesn't have the 18" wheels and it has the slightly smaller exhaust tips with the flap in one side, then the M-Sport fits the bill. Does it have splitters in the front? If so, it may be an M-Clubsport with potentially swapped out wheels. A telltale to this is if it says Clubsport on the door sills.

At this point, I would say it's a 330Ci with the M-Sport package.

It does have the splitters, but it only says "M" on the door sill. It's got the slightly protruding bottom lip at the back too. I'm pretty much assuming that it's the basic M-Sport package, but with very specific performance package look-a-like options.

Farsight
09-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Also, the guy at BMWCanada said it's got the AG M Sport Package, but doesn't have any more details.

az3579
09-06-2011, 03:44 PM
One final thing:
Does yours have this spoiler on it?
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4067-e46-coupe-clubsport-rear-wing.aspx

If it does, you definitely have a Clubsport. Those are pretty rare, and is a very cool car, IMO.
Since it's an '04, if it's a Clubsport, it would probably have Style 71 wheels, like the ones on my car, though a previous owner may have taken them off and put something else on like you describe. This is what Style 71's looks like:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Automotive/BMW%20E46%20330i%20ZHP/Exterior/IMG_0740.jpg

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
We really need pics.

Hermes
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
That spoiler hot, kinda want one now but I really shouldn't...

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
That spoiler hot, kinda want one now but I really shouldn't...

Dhu eeet.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Farsight
09-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Ah, got it. I got the VIN decoded for a couple of bucks, and all the options are listed. There were no engine/cam options. What the car has is the M Sport Package II, and on top of that it has an optional black cube interior trim. Tis only a sports package. Weird that it doesn't look like the other M sport packages I've seen around.

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Ah, got it. I got the VIN decoded for a couple of bucks, and all the options are listed. There were no engine/cam options. What the car has is the M Sport Package II, and on top of that it has an optional black cube interior trim. Tis only a sports package. Weird that it doesn't look like the other M sport packages I've seen around.

Sweet ride nonetheless pal.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
09-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Bro special its not.

johnrando
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Definitely looking forward to plenty of detailed pics.

Rovert
09-08-2011, 07:49 AM
In Canada from my understanding:

Sport Package = M-tech I front/rear bumper & sideskirts, 17" M68 wheels, trunk spoiler, sports steering wheel (2 parallel bottom spokes).
M-Sport Package adds M-tech II "ZHP" front/rear bumper & sideskirts.
M Performance Package Visual adds 18" 135M wheels, shadow line window trim, thicker ///M alcantara steering wheel (thick bottom spoke), interior cube trim, black headliner.
M Performance Package Full adds the engine modifications and differential.