PDA

View Full Version : looking for wheels.

jelani
09-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to upgrade my wheels looking for an aggresive set up, I currently have the stock ZHP wheels and my tires are hankook v12 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear, what aftermarket wheels will give me an aggresive stretched look with my current tires, I have $1,000 to spend on wheels, the car is stock height:roundel

Thanks,
J

mimalmo
09-06-2011, 05:28 PM
So, you want an aggressive stretched look while keeping your current tires?

jelani
09-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Yes Eli how can I accomplish this? also I am terible at picking wheels any suggestions?

lilcdkey
09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
most aggressive thing u can do is use that 1000 and get coilovers and spacers

mimalmo
09-06-2011, 06:01 PM
That's going to be tough. In order to get a stretched look with 265's, you will need an 11" or 12" wheel and that's not easy to fit under a non-M E46. Not that it hasn't been done but, it's tough.

The other thing I noticed was your stock suspension. Generally speaking, the poked and stretched look does not look good at all with stock ride heights.

If it was me, I'd invest in some coilovers first and add some spacers to your OEM wheels. Then when funds permit, get some adjustable rear control arms and some camber plates for the front. Somewhere in there you'll also want to get your fenders rolled. Once that's all done, you are ready to run just about anything under your car.

Drop first, then wheels. I know how it sucks to wait but trust me on this.

Click on my name below if you want to get an idea of how my car progressed.

jelani
09-06-2011, 06:36 PM
I clicked on you name and I saw your build, when your car was stock it looked just like mine...nice build though Eli your car is REALLY nice I can't wait for mine to have a similar look.

I will take your advise Eli, what kind of coilovers do you recommend and what type of spacers and what sizes? I figure since we have virtually the same car and your car is build you can help me out, if i'm asking too much don't reply I understand I will try to figure it out.

Thank you

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Of course he's gonna help you. That's one thing we don't shy away from here. Maybe give him some time to pull his info together.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mimalmo
09-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Of course he's gonna help you. That's one thing we don't shy away from here. Maybe give him some time to pull his info together.

Dane's right, it's a family thing.

Your situation is a bit unique. You are running tire sizes on the OEM wheels that are not the recommended sizes. That makes it harder to know what size spacers will or won't fit. OEM spec tire sizes for the ZHP are 255/35/18 rear and 225/40/18 front. Normally, I'd recommend a 15mm to 20mm spacer in front and a 10mm to 15mm in back but like I said, your tire sizes make it hard for me to know what will fit.

As for coilovers, that's a bit tougher since they vary wildly in price and capabilities. If you plan on tracking the car, AST's seem to be the way to go. If you plan on daily-driving the car and maybe a few driving events, my personal preference is the KW V2 but those are quite a bit higher than your budget of $1k. There's a thread around here somewhere where we discuss coilovers, including prices and user feedback.

lilcdkey
09-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Dane helped me alot today :) Your lucky you have a pro like Eli to help you out.

mimalmo
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Here's that coilover thread I was thinking of.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3689-ITT-ZHP-Mafioso-Learn-Everything-There-is-to-Know-About-Coilover-Suspension-Set-ups

jelani
09-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Okay, I will follow your foot steps Eli, I will save a few extra bucks and get a set of KW-2 and than move forward.

Thank you