PDA

View Full Version : Caliper reassembly Question

edlvrt
09-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Hello all. I recently took one of my calipers and rotors off to fix a rattle. I cleaned the caliper bracket and the sliding pins, and I did not lubricate them as the Bently instructs. Some DIY's that I just found recommend using anti sieze as a lubricant on the 2 pins and where the caliper slides on the bracket. What is the Mafia's thoughts on this? Is the lubricant a good thing that will promote even brake wear, or will it attract dirt and cause parts to bind? Thanks

Ed

static667
09-13-2011, 07:09 AM
I've never used any lubricant on those parts before. They always seemed to move fine for me. Personally, unless they were sticking, I'd leave them alone.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.

danewilson77
09-13-2011, 07:13 AM
The caliper slide pins should be lubricated.

az3579
09-13-2011, 07:44 AM
The caliper slide pins should be lubricated.

Bentley specifically says not to lubricate. I also found that lubricating it creates a huge mess, as I had to deal with this past Sunday. When I did the brakes on the E30 way back when, I didn't lube the pins and it was fine.

So, I'm no longer sure which bit of info to believe as now there's conflicting info...

What would you lubricate it with, DW? Any particular product? I would think it would have to be a product that wouldn't allow the pins to come loose...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

danewilson77
09-13-2011, 08:14 AM
.........and I did not lubricate them as the Bently instructs.

Bentley specifically says not to lubricate. I also found that lubricating it creates a huge mess, as I had to deal with this past Sunday. When I did the brakes on the E30 way back when, I didn't lube the pins and it was fine.

So, I'm no longer sure which bit of info to believe as now there's conflicting info...

What would you lubricate it with, DW? Any particular product? I would think it would have to be a product that wouldn't allow the pins to come loose...

Mmm...wonder what truth is here.

I usually lubricate the pins with a black lithium grease. Super thin sheen film of grease. NOT the threads.

zj96sc
09-13-2011, 09:07 AM
I always lubricate my other cars' caliper slide pins, with application specific high temp caliper grease:

http://www.eastwood.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/250x160/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p39162.jpg

Any yes, always only on metal-to-metal contact points, never threads.

If the Bentley specifically says not to, though, I'd tend to believe that for BMW calipers anyway.

kayger12
09-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I've never lubed caliper pins.

Just clean them up real well.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
09-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I've never lubed caliper pins.

Just clean them up real well.

Well maybe I will get in there this weekend and clean them up. Just curious as to what the Bentley really says.

Audi 0000
09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
I always lubricate pins ,and pad to carrier contact with "antiseize". It definetly will not hurt anything. As far as metal to metal contact, lube will ease the operation. As long as you dont use too much, it will not create a mess or collect debris.

danewilson77
09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I always lubricate pins ,and pad to carrier contact with "antiseize". It definetly will not hurt anything. As far as metal to metal contact, lube will ease the operation. As long as you dont use too much, it will not create a mess or collect debris.

Well, maybe I won't then.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
09-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Well maybe I will get in there this weekend and clean them up. Just curious as to what the Bentley really says.

Let you know when I get home.

danewilson77
09-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Let you know when I get home.

Yeah...I was just home, but didn't have time before I ran out again. Thanks KG.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
09-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Bentley Manual page 340-10 Brakes

Thoroughly clean all contact points on caliper and brake pad carrier. Clean guide bolts and make sure they slide freely. Do not lubricate guide bolts.

There you have it...

danewilson77
09-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Bentley Manual page 340-10 Brakes

Thoroughly clean all contact points on caliper and brake pad carrier. Clean guide bolts and make sure they slide freely. Do not lubricate guide bolts.

There you have it...

Werd.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

edlvrt
09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Sweet. Thanks for all of the responses. I'm glad to hear I don't need to pull it all apart again.

az3579
09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
The only reason I wouldn't do it is because I don't see a need to. Those bolts get removed often enough not to need any lubrication, especially considering they're not rubbing up against much. Most of the length of the pin is just the rubber boot around it, and I always end up pushing the pin out of its socket with a screwdriver from the caliper side, so there isn't much of an opportunity for it to get stuck anywhere.

Of course, I also do brakes much more often than most people would due to my driving habits (DD, auto-x, track), so I supposed mine will never have an opportunity to seize. lol

WOLFN8TR
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I recently took one of my calipers and rotors off to fix a rattle.

I do believe my ZHP has this rattle coming from the front brakes. I have a annoying rattle when driving on a rough round and it goes away when I touch the brakes. What needs to be done to fix this? Are my anti rattle clips possibly missing?

Thanks....

danewilson77
03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
I do believe my ZHP has this rattle coming from the front brakes. I have a annoying rattle when driving on a rough round and it goes away when I touch the brakes. What needs to be done to fix this? Are my anti rattle clips possibly missing?

Thanks....

Do you see the clips.. When looking through rims?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
03-21-2012, 01:47 AM

Thanks....

Maybe suspension related?

Sent from my outdated Droid X

WOLFN8TR
03-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I will go check and see if the clips are visible.

Beings the rattle goes away when I apply the brakes would it even be suspension related?

Tapatalk App

WOLFN8TR
03-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Ok I can see the clips on the brakes, front and rear on the outside. Is there clips on the backside also?

Tapatalk App

LivesNearCostco
03-21-2012, 11:10 AM
No clips on the backside of the calipers themselves. However, the inside/backside pads have a clip that fits inside the caliper piston. If those are missing, broken, or loose, it could let the inner brake pad rattle.

derbo
03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
The guide bushings should be lubricate only if they are solid metal ones. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4118-caliper-bushing-upgrade-kit.aspx

kayger12
03-21-2012, 05:35 PM
I will go check and see if the clips are visible.

Beings the rattle goes away when I apply the brakes would it even be suspension related?

Tapatalk App

If it goes away when you lightly touch the brakes, then yes, I'd lean towards brakes- but if it goes away with normal braking, it could be the change in weight distribution (triggered by braking) loading the offending suspension part differently.

Sent from my outdated Droid X

shanneba
03-22-2012, 05:46 AM
Here is what BMW's TIS says about the guide pins:

Installation:
Only clean guide screws; do not grease.
Check threads.
Replace all guide screws which are not in perfect condition.