PDA

View Full Version : Experience with UUC Sway Bars

HokieZHP
09-15-2011, 06:11 AM
I've been reading around on here and different forums about sway bars since I think I may lean more towards handling improvements over engine bolt ons since the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to put that much money into the engine for 10hp.

I have heard good things about:
-UUC
-H&R ($$)
-Hotchkis ($$)
-TMS

H&R and Hotchkis are both pretty pricey but the UUC and TMS ones seem good at $350. I've been reading a lot about different diameter bars and such and how UUC advertises that their F & R bars are closer in size to maintain balance in the car. Is this BS or true? Is it worth the extra $150 for the Hotchkis sways?

I see a lot of you guys have UUC so how do you like them?

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 06:17 AM
The ZHP already has an oversized sway bar doesn't it?

HokieZHP
09-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Yes and that's why I'm hesitant on the UUC since the ZHP's front is ~21mm or something and the UUC is ~25mm. I'm not sure it will make a noticeable difference or not.

mikeyb74
09-15-2011, 06:25 AM
UUC bars are awesome. But on the ZHP I would keep the stock bars and replace the rubber bushings with Powerflex or some other brand urethane bushings.

HokieZHP
09-15-2011, 06:27 AM
So you don't think they would make enough of a difference? I already have Powerflex bushings up front but not in the rear.

I'm mainly just looking to improve handling without changing the shocks since I'll most likely be going with some coils this coming summer.

mikeyb74
09-15-2011, 06:44 AM
What is the size of the UUC bars? I'm to lazy to look it up.

Stock ZHP front is 24mm and rear is 19mm according to realoem.

HokieZHP
09-15-2011, 06:50 AM
UUC are 25.4mm Front and 23.8mm rear

mikeyb74
09-15-2011, 06:56 AM
If you are looking for larger diameter bars I think the Hotchkis are the way to go. 30.2mm front and 25.4mm rear. I've driven a e46 with these and what a difference. So I think the extra money for them is worth it.

HokieZHP
09-15-2011, 06:59 AM
For the hotchkis bars, how was the ride compared to stock?

mikeyb74
09-15-2011, 07:24 AM
For the hotchkis bars, how was the ride compared to stock?

The car that I drove did not have the stock suspension bits on it but had Bilstein PSS10s.

bullfrogs_M3
09-15-2011, 08:21 AM
I have the front and rear UUC bars. Only issue I have had with them is going through my driver side rear swaybar endlink TWICE! Not sure why that keeps happening. I need to get under the rear this week and adjust my exhaust so i'll be able to check and see if I went through ANOTHER endlink.

HokieZHP
09-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Did you notice much of an improvement in handling since it's such a minimal diameter increase?

Hornung418
09-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Honestly if you want a stiffer ride try upgrading the bushings. If you find that the improvement is what you're looking for then you don't have to spend any more money. Unless you're playing with your suspension, I wouldn't try to increase the understeer on the e46.

To clarify the sway bar diameter F/R:
e46 330Ci/i ZHP - 23.5mm/18.0mm
e46 328Ci/i ZSP - 24.0mm/19.0mm

bullfrogs_M3
09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Did you notice much of an improvement in handling since it's such a minimal diameter increase?

With the UUC sways and coils, i can take any corner my buddies in M3's can and sometimes more. We had a hilly drive a while back and a number of M3's were behind me trying to play catch up on the twisties. Meanwhile, i was firmly planted the entire time.

For normal day to day driving I have to hit corners pretty hard in order to break the tires loose/sideways

mikeyb74
09-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Honestly if you want a stiffer ride try upgrading the bushings. If you find that the improvement is what you're looking for then you don't have to spend any more money. Unless you're playing with your suspension, I wouldn't try to increase the understeer on the e46.

To clarify the sway bar diameter F/R:
e46 330Ci/i ZHP - 23.5mm/18.0mm
e46 328Ci/i ZSP - 24.0mm/19.0mm

It's odd how the ZHP and M Sport Package II have two different sized sway bars. I would thought the ZHP would have the larger bars instead of the ZSP.

bullfrogs_M3
09-15-2011, 12:49 PM
It's odd how the ZHP and M Sport Package II have two different sized sway bars. I would thought the ZHP would have the larger bars instead of the ZSP.

I believe the ZSP also has a tighter turning radius too? Or maybe the ZHP does. Don't remember, I know i looked this up when I had my M3 and saw that the non-M3's had a tighter turning radius

HokieZHP
09-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Hmm difficult decision since I don't want to get the Hotchkis ones and realize that they're way too stiff for street driving.

Hornung418
09-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Kpro has the Hotchkis Bars. From behind they can take an exit ramp like nobody's business.

Nathancarter has the TMS Bars. Says they're the best thing he could do for his '02 330i.

mikeyb74
09-16-2011, 05:48 AM
I wish I had options for larger swaybars but no company offers them for a e46 xi wagon.

UdubBadger
09-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I have UUC sways (F&R) on my 135i. They are nice but UUC as a company I was not impressed with. Really back lack of communication, took forever to ship my stuff to me and then ended up sending me the wrong front bar, wanted photos of everything and all this back and forth with them to get them to replace it with the correct one... guess it was a shock to them to think their box had the wrong part number on it. Anyway after 5 weeks from my original order date, the front went on finally and they worked well. If I had to do it over again I'd have taken the Hotchkis set instead. I won't do any more business with UUC. They screwed a buddy of mine over with 4 1/2 hrs unneeded labor to install an SSK. Said he had to have the whole drive shaft removed to get it in, tech called them 4 hrs later asking them why the shaft needed to be removed, he could have easily gotten it in without touching a thing...

Shady if you ask me.

UdubBadger
09-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Hmm difficult decision since I don't want to get the Hotchkis ones and realize that they're way too stiff for street driving.

I think that would be more directed to the springs/struts on the car, the sways will just keep the car more planted while cornering if I'm not mistaken

Rovert
09-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I have UUC's in my car.... I took a picture when the rear was being installed:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5056/img0067editted.jpg

Before installation I took my favorite corner that I know very very well and this was my stock sway bar:
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5141/stockzhprearsway.png

After installation this was the result:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2946/afteruucrearsway.png

Just look at the max lateral. I take the corner to close to the traction circle where understeer sets in slightly.

Day to day the feeling isn't as much as I thought though. I think thicker would be more noticeable. The OEM ZHP sways are the same as my friend's ZSP sways. Really the ZHP isn't that much more special. LOL.

Bumps and road irregularities are not anymore harsh with UUCs than OEM. The shocks still move up and down separately. Although a tad more movement from one side may be transmitted from a minor energy transfer across the sway bar...the cornering is still flatter. What you will feel is under hard cornering, the car will slide more flat...instead of roll to one side before tires lose grip. Thicker sways allow you to change direction faster without upsetting the balance of the car as fast as thinner sways. Thinner sways will generally give you better grip through a single corner.

johnrando
09-20-2011, 09:08 AM
I have UUC's in my car.... I took a picture when the rear was being installed:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5056/img0067editted.jpg

Before installation I took my favorite corner that I know very very well and this was my stock sway bar:
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5141/stockzhprearsway.png

After installation this was the result:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2946/afteruucrearsway.png

Just look at the max lateral. I take the corner to close to the traction circle where understeer sets in slightly.

Day to day the feeling isn't as much as I thought though. I think thicker would be more noticeable. The OEM ZHP sways are the same as my friend's ZSP sways. Really the ZHP isn't that much more special. LOL.

Bumps and road irregularities are not anymore harsh with UUCs than OEM. The shocks still move up and down separately. Although a tad more movement from one side may be transmitted from a minor energy transfer across the sway bar...the cornering is still flatter. What you will feel is under hard cornering, the car will slide more flat...instead of roll to one side before tires lose grip. Thicker sways allow you to change direction faster without upsetting the balance of the car as fast as thinner sways. Thinner sways will generally give you better grip through a single corner.

Great info Trevor. To be clear, this was only with the rear sway bay and not the front?

Rovert
09-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I had the front installed too. I was just too slow to take pics...lol.

Rovert
09-20-2011, 09:28 AM
If I had to do it all over again I think I'd choose thicker bars. Although UUC is thicker than stock and does give you less roll in corners, it's not dramatic enough for me in how I drive. I still think there is too much roll and the chassis feels nowhere near stiff enough to start lifting corners on tight corners. I got the UUCs because I found them for $100 on craigslist...lol. I know Hotchkis Sway Bars are hallow but they're much thicker and reviews seem fantastic. I'd get those next.