PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new "used" ZHP - why is it that...........

jeff57ax
09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Why is it that the cars for sale - most cars, and specifically ZHP's are almost always listed as being driven exclusively on the highway vs stop 'n go city traffic. This cracks me up to the point of being absurd. Do owners of cars for sale really think that people will believe them when they say "almost all miles are highway miles"?

I guess the only drivers that hold on to their cars, and do not want to sell them, are the ones that just drive short distances, around town, in stop 'n go settings and have beaters. It's just the ones that have pristine highway drivers that want to sell.

Just rantin', but come on!

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Yup...many say that.

obtw....all my miles are highway miles.....

Marcus-SanDiego
09-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Most of my cars have had a mix of freeway and city miles. Pretty tough to just do the highway thing.

az3579
09-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Yup...many say that.

obtw....all my miles are highway miles.....

Mine too... Seriously.

It makes sense though. Higher mileage on such a relatively young car can only racked up through highway usage, unless you spend hours and hours a day putting around town. I'd be inclined to believe a "highway miles" statement.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jeff57ax
09-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I have a beater, city, stop 'n go car. I use that to tow my real nice BMW to the freeway onramp - then I am off! The only problem is that this always requires 2 people, so it does get a little problematic. At least I can REALLY say that my car has just highway miles on it.

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 04:47 PM
I have a beater, city, stop 'n go car. I use that to tow my real nice BMW to the freeway onramp - then I am off! The only problem is that this always requires 2 people, so it does get a little problematic. At least I can REALLY say that my car has just highway miles on it.

LOL......unless you had a sweet parking spot near the on ramp. Then you would have to leave car unattended and unsafe there though as well.

jreyes19
09-16-2011, 05:04 PM
my drive is connected to the highway so no need for city driving,
if there is a need i put my hazards and push it in neutral

..... lol but its a nice thought right?

zhpnsnv
09-17-2011, 03:17 AM
I do mostly highway driving. It means I haven't had to do pads/rotors in over 50k miles. Steady rpm is easier on the engine than higher load of constantly pulling through the gears.

That's what I've read, at least. Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webster
09-17-2011, 06:50 AM
every car ad ever claims "highway miles"

just gotta ignore it.

prowlerflyer
09-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Along with "highway miles", you could lump in "fully loaded, all available options, female owned, never driven in the wet", etc. Either people don't understand what they're writing or are fooled into thinking these really are going to sell the car. It's also amusing when they invent new names for their car's paint...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

aurelius
09-17-2011, 07:56 AM
"always dealer serviced"

Great, meaning that during its first four years of "free maintenance" maybe it had a few oil changes. And after that expired, nothing was done.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Mark, that's one of the things that I've really taken to heart since I first heard you say that months ago. It always makes me ask the follow up question: how was the maintenance after the warranty expired?

iZHP
09-17-2011, 08:19 AM
All my cars miles were highway...Lol of course not. But the P.O. proved that he drove over 100 miles a day to work and back via highway and the car drives like it's still new. With over 111,000 miles now, the car seems to drive like it has 20,000.

aurelius
09-17-2011, 11:30 AM
If you knew what to ask of your service advisor back when these cars were covered by BMW's free maintenance plan, you could have scored a max of 4 oil changes, plus 2 brake fluid flushes and a coolant flush.

Wiper blades and maybe pads & rotors too, if needed, but I sold my original E46 ZSP with just 14k on the clock and therefore didn't ever have the opportunity to really push the limits of free maintenance.

My service advisor at the time, however, was very helpful in that dept. If I ever meet any of you in person, remind me to tell my dealership service advisor stories, circa 2004-2005. Hint: she was quite attractive.

GreenFrog
09-17-2011, 07:48 PM
If you knew what to ask of your service advisor back when these cars were covered by BMW's free maintenance plan, you could have scored a max of 4 oil changes, plus 2 brake fluid flushes and a coolant flush.

Wiper blades and maybe pads & rotors too, if needed, but I sold my original E46 ZSP with just 14k on the clock and therefore didn't ever have the opportunity to really push the limits of free maintenance.

My service advisor at the time, however, was very helpful in that dept. If I ever meet any of you in person, remind me to tell my dealership service advisor stories, circa 2004-2005. Hint: she was quite attractive.

Sending PM.

danewilson77
09-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Sending PM.

Bump.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT