PDA

View Full Version : ZHPMafia.com to Close Registration -- Effective October 15, 2011 -- Discuss here

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Discuss the site announcement (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4948-ZHPMafia.com-to-Close-Registration-Effective-November-2-2011) here.

pleasecorrupt
09-30-2011, 03:07 PM
As long as nothing is getting sold I'm a happy camper haha. Understand your reasons and your decision to do so and am genuinely excited to see what comes out of this.

danewilson77
09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
On board Boss.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Alphatek45
09-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I have been active on another site that did this. Definitely stunted growth. Probably a good thing here. Smart move IMO. Now you don't need 25 babysitting mods on call.
Quality over quantity...

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Glad to hear. We've already got a ton of quality here. Feeling good about the decision.

I hope you guys can put up with the exclusivity this will create.

UdubBadger
09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I like that quality over quantity too... nice.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Adam, exactly. We will definitely be putting the brakes on growth. The good thing is that we've never grown for the sake of growing.

Quality over quantity, indeed.

Hornung418
09-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Well played, Marcus. I agree on the whole with this plan of attack.

Now we just need the lurkers to come out of hiding and really get the quality posting to the next level! Don't be afraid guys, you're here, might as well participate in the fun :)

HaloArchive
09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Marcus, I like your idea very much. Personal references to the forum will keep it a friendlier place etc. Even though I no longer have a ZHP, I will still reach out to those that do :)

P.S. Is this the big announcement or, is there going to be another one?

pleasecorrupt
09-30-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm interested in how new members will be "approved" though. General curiosity even if it hasn't been determined or set yet.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 03:41 PM
This is the announcement. Not sure big. But no other announcements to make.

But, Shelton, you are tough to impress!

Newjack
09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm on board with this decision. There's a reason I post here and not e46fanatics. I like the values and attitudes here way better.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm interested in how new members will be "approved" though. General curiosity even if it hasn't been determined or set yet.

It will literally be a decision that my three-man team makes, Nelson. If we're not convinced that someone will fit in here -- and be a valuable contributor -- it won't fly.

There will certainly be some art that goes into these decisions.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm on board with this decision. There's a reason I post here and not e46fanatics. I like the values and attitudes here way better.

Glad to hear. Change is always difficult. Some may not like the decision. Some will.

I figured, though, that more people would like the idea. After all, I assume that most of the members are already pleased with the status quo. Therefore, not adding many more members in the future should be just fine.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Special thanks also goes out to my moderators, Dane and Keith, who served as advisers in this decision. I brought the idea to them. They helped me fine tune the idea. The contents of this announcement reflect a team effort.

Thanks also goes to Casey, who helped me iron out the pros and cons of the idea.

Thanks, fellas.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Well played, Marcus. I agree on the whole with this plan of attack.

Now we just need the lurkers to come out of hiding and really get the quality posting to the next level! Don't be afraid guys, you're here, might as well participate in the fun :)

Horny, glad you're onboard. And thanks for being a valuable contributor here.

zhpnsnv
09-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Interesting. We've all seen good places turn sour due to increased #s, lack of mutual respect, and no accountability to each other or to the place itself. Seems like this is a logical and timely maneuver.

Question: if the 4 people who read my column (and who aren't my parents) decide to join based on the two ZHPM-related columns, can they? I don't _know_ them, nor can I vouch for them, but if they read BL there's probably just enough wrong with them that they'd fit in here. :roundel

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Marc, absolutely. That's why they will be able to hit me up via email.

zhpnsnv
09-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Sweet. Just trying to look out for my peoples. Thanks.

Au2bahn
09-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Im game on your decision. Great group of folks.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Sweet. Just trying to look out for my peoples. Thanks.

Yep. Yep. All good.

Thanks for your support, Jon.

az3579
09-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Very surprising... but I understand the decision made.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Always trying to keep you on your toes, BP.

You know we do things differently here.

az3579
09-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Always trying to keep you on your toes, BP.

You know we do things differently here.

Yeah. I'm just kind of left with my head spinning this week.
Just found out a co-worker is leaving our company for political reasons (fortunately this time it was voluntarily). Just found out I'm going to have to work a project I had no knowledge about on short notice. Now this.

Kinda weird being out of the loop on stuff. :dunno

Full recovery is expected Monday morning. :biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah. I'm just kind of left with my head spinning this week.
Just found out a co-worker is leaving our company (fortunately this time it was voluntarily). Just found out I'm going to have to work a project I had no knowledge about on short notice. Now this.

Kinda weird being out of the loop on stuff. :dunno

Full recovery is expected Monday morning. :biggrin

I hear you, pal. Hang in there. Enjoy the weekend.

Oh, and I have to keep most out of the loop. It's the news reporter in me. I don't like getting scooped. :biggrin

az3579
09-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I hear you, pal. Hang in there. Enjoy the weekend.

Oh, and I have to keep most out of the loop. It's the news reporter in me. I don't like getting scooped. :biggrin

:ronald

iZHP
09-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Saw Mark's Facebook status on my phone and immediately grabbed the iPad and shot over to zhpm.c

I'm surprised, but at the same time, I've found all the info I ever needed to know here, with these great members. :grouphug

BlackNTan
09-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Marcus, What do you have planned for the new ZHP owner (like I was 3 months ago) who wants to join because they have a new (to them) ZHP? I understand the idea of preventing trolls from joining but this would seem to be a self-selecting group. There just aren't many ZHPs out there.

Oli77
09-30-2011, 05:29 PM
I support this decision. It's a smart move that will help maintain a family core and keep things more personal.

While I was feeling a little shift in tone and subjects being discussed lately, I had never thought about the option you are proposing.

It's brilliant.

Kudos to the bosses.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 05:30 PM
People will still have an opportunity to summons me. I will have a link to my announcement from today. They should be able to tell that our door may be open to them. They will need to approach us, though.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 05:34 PM
I support this decision. It's a smart move that will help maintain a family core and keep things more personal.

While I was feeling a little shift in tone and subjects being discussed lately, I had never thought about the option you are proposing.

It's brilliant.

Kudos to the bosses.

Although this week was a bit disappointing at times, it wasn't the impetus for the decision.

A few months ago I started thinking of what I wanted to do with the forum. I knew I wanted to preserve what we all enjoy so much about this place. I believe that more growth isn't the answer for our forum. I like the family atmosphere here. I like the tight-knit community that we have here.

Closing the forum next month should work well.

GMATT
09-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Marcus ( Dane, Keith, and Casey) Great move, this will keep us "not special" and keep the undesirables out. Nice work gentlemen!

Hermes
09-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Wow, was not expecting this but I'm also not opposed to the idea in any way. We definitely are a family and I like the idea that there will only be so many of us, not 200,000 members like some other sites (hell, there's only a few thousand ZHPs but we're still not special). I totally support the Boss in his decision and think it will make this an amazing site in the "quality over quantity" aspect.

Great decision.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 06:02 PM
And I figure you guys may also be interested in the timing.

While the one-year mark works out perfectly, my initial thought was to close the forum in the near future -- with no warning whatsoever. This decision was mine alone. The boys deferred to me on this one. I went back and forth (several times) and finally decided that the November 2 date would give lurkers an opportunity to join with no trouble.

For those who support my decision, thanks.

For those who do not support the idea (I haven't heard from anyone but I'm realistic and know someone must be disappointed), I'll do my best to show you that this was a good decision for the forum.

johnrando
09-30-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm totally on board and support this decision. Quality over quantity for sure. And, very honorable reasons boss, I like it. This decision is

:hashbrowns

Mtnman
09-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Cool with me. I love u guys,

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

johnrando
09-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Cool with me. I love u guys,

Yup. And it's not 100% closed, so that's a nice balance if we still want to bring members in.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks, guys. Quality over quantity. We'll probably say that quite a bit over the next couple of weeks

BCS_ZHP
09-30-2011, 06:53 PM
I like the move. I've been swamped with work lately and missed whatever happened over the last week or so that was referenced, but I too have noticed some snipey-ness that we never had in the early days. Kudos for the decision.

And now I can tell my smart-alecky son that the ".com" needs to remain on the sticker so people can view the sight, then try to meet up with the person who owns the car that sported our sticker, and if our member thinks they would fit in, then sponsor them to join. It'll put some personalization into joining.

And his latest idea, he wants to modify the "ZHPMafia.com" sticker to "ZHPMom" for my wife's car.

danewilson77
09-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Lol. Your kid cracks me up Bruce.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm thinking of revoking your son's membership here, Bruce. LOL.

BCS_ZHP
09-30-2011, 07:03 PM
A 14 year old thinker & innovator, hope he's going to be my retirement ticket. Or at least pick a decent retirement home for me when I'm babbling that "its not special".

BCS_ZHP
09-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Wrong son, the 17 year old is a member but not active on the forum. Now the 14 year old, heck for all I know he might be a moderator here, and he'd never share his screen name with me, he's my IT guy. Find him at night in his room with TV on, doing homework, laptop going on his desk, iPad right next to it, and iPhone texting at the same time. Most of these electronics he bought himself. Plus straight A's and taking honors classes, so I can't complain about his study habits, he's got this multi-tasking thing down pat.

danewilson77
09-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Wrong son, the 17 year old is a member but not active on the forum. Now the 14 year old, heck for all I know he might be a moderator here, and he'd never share his screen name with me, he's my IT guy. Find him at night in his room with TV on, doing homework, laptop going on his desk, iPad right next to it, and iPhone texting at the same time. Most of these electronics he bought himself. Plus straight A's and taking honors classes, so I can't complain about his study habits, he's got this multi-tasking thing down pat.

I have one of these as well. Name? Walker Texas Ranger. 14.....rooted his Droid, burns cds for me, and I get an email about once every 6 months from cox communications for illegal download of movies.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Oh, and for the record, your 14-year old is a moderator here. :eeps

danewilson77
09-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Oh, and for the record, your 14-year old is a moderator here. :eeps

Lol....probably both of them. They could be the same kid...hehe.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
09-30-2011, 08:07 PM
you guys are funny. glad i could be a part of this site. i truly hope nothing more than to be an upstanding member. cheers.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 08:14 PM
You guys are all upstanding citizens here. Glad you're onboard.

Johnmadd
09-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Lol at this page in this thread, omg I loled so hard. This is why it works, I get it.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-30-2011, 08:20 PM
John, precisely. This is why our small forum works. We can literally get to know each and everyone of the members.

C Withers Media
09-30-2011, 08:58 PM
I take little credit, Mark just wanted me to derive the most hair brained, illuminatistic, black helicopter conspiracy theory I could come up with and then we debunked it together. The end result was close forum, zombies can't join.

az3579
10-01-2011, 02:32 AM
You guys are all upstanding citizens here. Glad you're onboard.

But what if we're sitting down, like I am right now? :confused

cakM3
10-01-2011, 04:20 AM
Agree :thumbsup

Quality over quantity +1

M0nk3y
10-01-2011, 04:23 AM
I take little credit, Mark just wanted me to derive the most hair brained, illuminatistic, black helicopter conspiracy theory I could come up with and then we debunked it together. The end result was close forum, zombies can't join.

"Puts away the shotgun"

Whew...

GMATT
10-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Sings (very badly I might add!).............We are fam.........a......leee............all my bothers, sisters and me!!!!!!!!!!!

echo46
10-01-2011, 04:44 AM
I do like the idea of the site's exclusivity. I also really enjoy the tone, intellect and quality of the members of this site. However, I just hope we are not shutting out the contributions of future ZHP owners. Someone like me, who came a bit late to the game but is passionate, obsessive and truly interested in learning/contributing much more about this sometimes strange enigmatic but always fascinating vehicle. I know we snicker and joke about it but the ZHP truly was and is a tour de force. That being said, I will let the administration of the site to the Boss, hell he got us this far. Just happy to be here.

kayger12
10-01-2011, 05:48 AM
I think anyone who has been here for a little while could tell that there was an occasional ripple in the fabric of Pleasantville around here lately. Nothing of crisis proportions-- but just enough to make you think.

I love this idea, because it is the single greatest step we can take as a Family to secure the feel and vibe that makes this place what it is.

I'm greatly appreciative of the Boss's vision and ability to think five moves ahead.

While I agree that this increases the chances of missing some quality members, I think that we've taken reasonable steps to allow avenues in. People who really want to participate here and exhibit the traits we value will make it-- they'll just have to put in a little more effort to get here.

Ryans323i
10-01-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm in........and you can't get rid of me! Mwahahaha!

:grouphug I love you guys.

UdubBadger
10-01-2011, 05:52 AM
I'm glad I joined when I did...

danewilson77
10-01-2011, 06:00 AM
I'm glad I joined when I did...

We are too, youdub.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
10-01-2011, 06:28 AM
I do like the idea of the site's exclusivity. I also really enjoy the tone, intellect and quality of the members of this site. However, I just hope we are not shutting out the contributions of future ZHP owners. Someone like me, who came a bit late to the game but is passionate, obsessive and truly interested in learning/contributing much more about this sometimes strange enigmatic but always fascinating vehicle. I know we snicker and joke about it but the ZHP truly was and is a tour de force. That being said, I will let the administration of the site to the Boss, hell he got us this far. Just happy to be here.

Derrick, thanks for the note.

The issue of shutting out really good people is what gave me the most concern with the decision to shut the forum down to new members. But, as Keith said, I think we've given them an avenue to join us if they really want to join. They'll just have to work a little bit (take some initiative to hit us up via email and tell us why they want to join the forum). There is a good chance they'll be able to join after that.

I toyed with the idea (for a few days) of not allowing any new members that were not referred by you guys. I scrapped that idea because I was concerned about the issue you raised. But, for the record, by-invitation forums can work really well. I imagine our forum would have thrived in a by-invitation format.

A decision like this is never going to be perfect. There will always be some give and take. I do think the positives outweigh the negatives, though, by quite a bit, which is why I can live with some of the downside risks.

zhpnsnv
10-01-2011, 06:55 AM
I missed the ripple in pleasantville. You mean to tell me this place came through the monitor in COLOR?!?!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
10-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Technicolor.

And, it was a ripple only on a relative basis. It wasn't just earlier this week. It's been about the last month or two. Just a weird feeling and vibe. I think some of it has to do with the outside environment.

Some members, who post on other forums (and post things that would never get posted here), come back here just a little more rowdy. I think they forget that they're not in the ghetto any longer. But I understand it's difficult to turn the switch off. Then, I think the economic backdrop also has some people feeling a bit overwhelmed, too. Their frustration could result in a short fuse here.

I have not singled out new posters v. old posters because I think it's been a collective thing. No one group has been immune from this behavior.

Still, don't get me wrong. I would venture that most people never even noticed it. But then they don't get paid to sit back and monitor and measure the ripples either. I do. I've been getting enough ripples over the past several months to think about what the future of ZHPMafia.com could look like if it went on for a sustained period of time.

Closing the forum to new registration is the result of me thinking about what it is we do here and what you guys expect from this forum.

static667
10-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Marcus, I'm behind your decision 100%. The site is great exactly how it is. I don't want to sound elitist, but further open registration will probably be the downfall of our great community.

quikryptonite
10-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I like this idea.

echo46
10-01-2011, 09:30 AM
I am in full agreement with you, Boss. No complaints here, I am comfortable with the alternative avenues available.

Mtnman
10-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Sure is gonna make keeping up with the new member section a lot easier!

Marcus-SanDiego
10-01-2011, 11:11 AM
And keeping a lid on registration will also allow all of you guys to keep up with every thread and post at the forum. :biggrin

az3579
10-01-2011, 01:38 PM
And keeping a lid on registration will also allow all of you guys to keep up with every thread and post at the forum. :biggrin

Not. Possible.

Unless you're Dane.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-01-2011, 02:19 PM
And Keith.

The moderators have agreed to put an eyeball on every post in this forum.

To date, we have read everything.

zhpnsnv
10-01-2011, 02:21 PM

I suck at this. Always will. Hopefully the fam accepts my intermittent ways.

tripod06
10-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I suck at this. Always will. Hopefully the fam accepts my intermittent ways.

I'm the same way. i try and keep track as best as i can but its hard at times.

kayger12
10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
And Keith.

The moderators have agreed to put an eyeball on every post in this forum.

To date, we have read everything.

Every. Damn. One.

And let me tell you- you boys and girls can really crank out the posts some days.

Love seeing it busy, though. Means people are genuinely enjoying this place.

Droid X. Forum Runner. Use it.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-01-2011, 02:52 PM
And outside of the moderators, I do not expect everyone to read every post and thread.

You might miss some stuff here and there but if it's really important I'll put a notice at the top of the site so you can't miss it.

lilcdkey
10-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Lol I'm definitely glad I made the cut. Kinda sucks to miss out on possible great members though. Sidenote: I turn 18 on November 3rd :eeps

Whitexi
10-02-2011, 02:37 AM
I like this idea, it will help keep this place in good shape.

LTCMontana
10-02-2011, 07:06 AM
First, great idea.

I found this site because I had no idea what a ZHP was. I found a car that I liked and had to do the research. This site hooked me. I've been on the Porsche Forums for years. There is only one that I care for (Rennlist). There is definitely a maturity level here I like and admire. I lurk over at the kiddie sight for more in-depth troubleshooting only. ZHPMafia will get there soon enough with the great contributors.

Well Done Sir!

Marcus-SanDiego
10-02-2011, 07:09 AM
^^ Thanks for your support. I appreciate the words.

imola red zhp
10-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Derrick, thanks for the note.

The issue of shutting out really good people is what gave me the most concern with the decision to shut the forum down to new members. But, as Keith said, I think we've given them an avenue to join us if they really want to join. They'll just have to work a little bit (take some initiative to hit us up via email and tell us why they want to join the forum). There is a good chance they'll be able to join after that.

I toyed with the idea (for a few days) of not allowing any new members that were not referred by you guys. I scrapped that idea because I was concerned about the issue you raised. But, for the record, by-invitation forums can work really well. I imagine our forum would have thrived in a by-invitation format.

A decision like this is never going to be perfect. There will always be some give and take. I do think the positives outweigh the negatives, though, by quite a bit, which is why I can live with some of the downside risks.

I support your decision on this Marcus it's to protect the integrity of our site...however will you be open to alternative ideas?

danewilson77
10-02-2011, 07:38 AM
I support you're decision on this Marcus it 's to protect the integrity of our site...however will you be open to alternative ideas?

Always open to what you guys think. Shoot him a pm.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
10-02-2011, 11:39 AM
And outside of the moderators, I do not expect everyone to read every post and thread.

You might miss some stuff here and there but if it's really important I'll put a notice at the top of the site so you can't miss it.

We have great moderators (thanks Boss, Dane, Keith). I probably read WAY too many posts... I don't get each and every one, but there are only a couple of threads I routinely pass on, just about everything else I try to read. The family is too entertaining (and educational)!

llll1l1ll
10-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Although I'm totally late to this thread, I'm down with it being closed off to new members. Heck - current members are probably the only owners who care out there.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Well, I suspect that there are others out there who care. Hopefully they will join before it's too late.

RVAzhp
10-03-2011, 06:51 AM
great decision. the information on this site is outstanding. best not to water it down.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Update: site closes to new registration on October 15. Moved the time table up. As I shore up how things will work, I realize that we can close in less than two weeks.

pleasecorrupt
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Don't know if this can be implemented but one suggestion for the site that I have that hopefully would still maintain the quality of posts would be to allow users to register and post in classified but nothing else until approval of account. That way, users can still access car classified for car purchases, posts on other parts of forums would still be filtered since you have to be approved member, and individuals without knowing someone can still join it they pm mod with background. Just my opinion since otherwise our car classified would die off or sellers would have to put personal info to be contacted outside. Unless if closing Regis also has to do with server space and size which this case wouldn't work well with.

typed on my phone, hopefully this makes sense

Marcus-SanDiego
10-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Has nothing to do with server. Let's get that out of the way first.

However, that's one place I would NOT want new users to be able to post. I've seen more issues in the classifieds section than most places.

When members want to sell stuff, they'll just need to make sure that they give everyone a way to contact them.

As for the outside links we post, nothing changes there. We don't control most of the information anyhow.

pleasecorrupt
10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Understand your concern but I guess I feel that this website has become such a resource when it comes to finding and purchasing a zhp as that was what led me to this website to begin with. With the new changes i feel that would end that component of the website indefinitely.

(by classified I meant only the car portion.)

Marcus-SanDiego
10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure why people still couldn't get in touch with people. Sellers who are members would simply need to put in an email address or phone number. That way people could still find the car and buy it.

As for nonmember cars, having an open forum or closed forum is irrelevant. The information is ultimately at the end of the link we post (on autotrader, cars.com, etc.). So, I suspect we're not talking about nonmember cars.

If someone buys a member car, and wants to join after they've bought, they can shoot us an email address.

My point is this: I don't believe that closing off registration to people is going to change the way people find cars and communicate with sellers.

As I previously said, there will always be some downside to closing the forum. However, the upside trumps the downside.

az3579
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
What Mark says is true. If you're looking at buying something and it just happens to be "the" car or "the" item you want to purchase, you'll find a way to make it happen. I've done that in the past where if I saw a posting I wanted to purchase and I wasn't a member of the forum, I would register just to contact that person. Hell, this is how I became a member of E46fanatics; I was looking to buy my ZHP and saw one I was interested in. The forums with open registrations just open the door for people to post the least amount of contact info possible to go soley through the PM system, which increases the number of registrants on the forum, effectively throwing the "quality" of the registrations out the window if those people only joined to buy this item.

If it becomes a requirement to put contact info in the for sale posts, this wouldn't be a problem whatsoever.

pleasecorrupt
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
As I previously said, there will always be some downside to closing the forum. However, the upside trumps the downside.

Can't argue with that haha. But i see your point.

az3579
10-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I see there is now an updated closure date; October 15th. Any reason on the rush? Was the date incorrect to begin with?

Marcus-SanDiego
10-03-2011, 05:59 PM
I was giving myself a month to work out kinks, etc. I see that I can cover everything faster now (including dealing with new SIG members). So, I moved up the time.

das boots
10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Whew! Am I glad that I just purchased my ZHP just on time. But I did join before my purchase.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Lawrence, I am sure you would have been able to talk your way onto the forum. :biggrin

As I said, we're not denying all new members. We will be picking and choosing, though.

das boots
10-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Dazzle them with brilliance. Baffle them with B.S. :thumbup

M3TA5IN
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Does this mean you are going to keep my non ZHP having butt out now ?? :p JK

Love the idea! Makes it more of a "family" close knit members club now!

My previous Jeep forum did the same thing, we did it slightly different, but for the most part same exact concept.

"Quality over quantity" is always key IMHO

Good move Marcus!

Marcus-SanDiego
10-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Does this mean you are going to keep my non ZHP having butt out now ?? :p JK

We're gonna keep ya, Cody.

M3TA5IN
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
We're gonna keep ya, Cody.

:wub zhpmafia.com

jayjay_dee
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
WOW!!!

Good move Marcus... one more reason for me to support this site thru the Silver Subscription...:rockon:headbang

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1472-ZHPMafia.com-Subscription-Service

Marcus-SanDiego
10-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Glad you like the idea. And thanks for your financial support of ZHPMafia.com.

Sockethead
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
All I can say is I'm glad I joined here. Every one here is like my friend. I found out about this forum from Kpro and that's basically why I joined. Since your leaving that option in, others can join that way too... Word of mouth is a very powerful tool and you can almost guarantee the quality of new members.

I was actively on Bimmerforums for three years then took a year off and I can say in the last year when i started posting again,, the quality of members there drastically changed... the reason? who knows but one of my theories was that, as the E46 ages and become less expensive to purchase, a wider group of the population are buying them... age, personalities, etc.

I think it's a good idea.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Rob, we're all friends here. Yep. And we can definitely use more quality members (that are referrals).

Boston323
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey Marcus, its been a while. Real glad to be one of the original gangsters here. Too bad I've been in hiding here for so long. :/ I like the idea a lot.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey, Derek! Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

Hobbes
10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Sounds good to me! I don't post a ton, but I'm super happy that most folks here are courteous, respectful, mature, and friendly. If this keeps things that way, then AMEN! :D

Marcus-SanDiego
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
It will keep things that way. That's my thinking. Glad you're onboard with the decision.

Feel free to post as often as you'd like here. You're always welcome.

apridge
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Technicolor.

I think they forget that they're not in the ghetto any longer.

Just today I was sifting through a few of the other BMW forums. Being fairly new to the forum scene, and primarily using ZHPmafia I was caught off guard by the way people interact with each other elsewhere. I was shocked at how critical, judgmental, and negative the replies were. I got the feeling people were more concerned about the competition to be cool then they were about genuinely helping each other out. Frankly I would not feel comfortable asking questions or posting replies on those other threads.

I'm glad I joined the zhp family when I did. No matter how small or stupid my questions are, I know I can always expect a generous helpful response. I like the sense of community we have here, and I'm all about preserving it. Good call!

danewilson77
10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Just today I was sifting through a few of the other BMW forums. Being fairly new to the forum scene, and primarily using ZHPmafia I was caught off guard by the way people interact with each other elsewhere. I was shocked at how critical, judgmental, and negative the replies were. I got the feeling people were more concerned about the competition to be cool then they were about genuinely helping each other out. Frankly I would not feel comfortable asking questions or posting replies on those other threads.

I'm glad I joined the zhp family when I did. No matter how small or stupid my questions are, I know I can always expect a generous helpful response. I like the sense of community we have here, and I'm all about preserving it. Good call!

:waldo

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
10-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Your post is the exact reason why the Boss wanted this place to be different. Glad you enjoy your time here.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-06-2011, 03:12 PM
This is precisely why I want to control the quality from here. We have enough quality people now. We've been lucky to this point. I'm guessing fewer than 10 people have been low-quality douchebags on our site. They quickly realized they didn't belong here and they rolled out.

Those people, by the way, are in a nice little box that I created for them. Every post by them is moderated by me.

kayger12
10-06-2011, 03:13 PM
The Boss don't mess around.:mafia

Boston323
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM
The boss was even generous enough to send me a lengthy email and read about my career choice and helped me guide myself to the Coast Guard. Marcus you're the man thank you very much. This site is exactly as you'd dreamed it would be a year ago.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Derek, amazing how the site worked out, eh?

Glad to hear that you made a choice on careers. Nice work.

cannan
10-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I've only owned my ZHP for two months (bought it from a member here about two days after I joined) and I've gained a wealth of knowledge about this specific model which is awesome, that is what these forums should be all about (well not everything). For such a relatively new forum there is a huge wealth of information available here which is fantastic. It helps keep the owners knowledgeable about what they are driving, and in turn their car well maintain, and valuable!!

Closing the site registration definitely helps keep the riff raff out, and by having optional enrollment on your decision can still allow solid members to join and contribute which is what you want. Can't ask for much more than that. When your appearance and cosmetic section is getting all the traffic you know your in trouble and that hasn't happened here :)

Oli77
10-08-2011, 05:08 PM
http://www2.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/091130_weepy.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
10-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Five days to go. Shutting down October 15, 2011, at 12:01 AM eastern time.

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 01:58 PM

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/led_wheels_like_a_boss-1.jpg

echo46
10-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I hope I'm not in the dreaded "Box."

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 02:05 PM

What box?

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 02:05 PM

What box?

az3579
10-10-2011, 02:50 PM
What box?

The box that the Boss throws people into that he plans on executing. You know, the box with the plastic wrapping on the floor and...
Oh wait, you've never been in there??? Uh, nevermind... :biggrin

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh...yeah. I just envision it to be the one that people step into concrete boots, before they go in.

echo46
10-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Indeed, few people have been to the box and lived to tell about it. Be scared, be very very scared my gentle readers.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Just heard from one of our OG members. He fully supports the decision to close registration. About 77 hours to go.

Johnmadd
10-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Funfact, I took furniture to supply the filming of the movie "The Box", they did some filming at Nasa in York county area.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Cool factoid, JM.

By the way, here's another factoid: no member has shown any disapproval to me shutting down the site. I'm somewhat surprised. But I guess I shouldn't be. You guys want to keep the site just the way it is. No one wants to disturb the Force.

imola red zhp
10-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Behind you all the way, I was more of a lurker on other forums, ZHPMafia is by far the best I've been associated with. Marcus, Dane, and the other Moderators truly have made this site what its is.
I'm just happy to be a family member and I hope a helpful contributor to this site.
To Gary, JP, Jason, Jon, and Kristen I appreiciate your efforts to help me find my IRot, (still seaching) Thank You....

Marcus-SanDiego
10-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Dennis, we're glad to have you.

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Dennis, we're glad to have you.

Yup.

das boots
10-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Oh...yeah. I just envision it to be the one that people step into concrete boots, before they go in.

DW kept me in line once...that's all it took. And I concurred.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-12-2011, 06:32 AM
64 hours left.

And this note: it may not be as easy to get in as some might think. If it's not a referral, I'll need to receive a note explaining why someone should be brought on board. Can you be a contributor? Do you plan to be an active member here? Do you have a lot of technical knowledge of BMWs? If I get a yes to all of those -- and other similar questions -- there is a good chance someone will be made a member here. However, if I get someone telling me that they'll be active, but they don't post anything, I will likely just delete that person's account.

We're looking for people who can contribute to our forum.

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 07:56 AM
64 hours left.

And this note: it may not be as easy to get in as some might think. If it's not a referral, I'll need to receive a note explaining why someone should be brought on board. Can you be a contributor? Do you plan to be an active member here? Do you have a lot of technical knowledge of BMWs? If I get a yes to all of those -- and other similar questions -- there is a good chance someone will be made a member here. However, if I get someone telling me that they'll be active, but they don't post anything, I will likely just delete that person's account.

Damn....the box just got bigger, deeper and darker.

Boss...I can do VANOS...can I stay? Please?

Marcus-SanDiego
10-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Dane, you are under review. :biggrin

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Dane, you are under review. :biggrin

And I know how to top off blinker fluid...but that's all.

wsmeyer
10-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Can we sell referrals on eBay?

William.

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 09:01 AM

William.

:rofl

Marcus-SanDiego
10-12-2011, 09:29 AM

William.

Yeah. We'll use our affiliate link to do it. :biggrin

WOLFN8TR
10-12-2011, 09:35 AM
64 hours left.

Hey Marcus I think this is a great idea, keeping this site limited in size keeps it on a more personnal level. This is my favorite BMW forum, I honestly don't even use the others much at all. The one thing I noticed when I joined a few months ago was how everyone was so nice and professional on here. I bought my ZHP in July and it's my first BMW. I joined 4 different forums because I needed to learn about my car as I do all my maintenance. I dealt with attitudes and ego's on the other sites but not here. I've learned alot and did alot of DIY because of the great amount of info on here. I'm glad I got in before the deadline.

But in my case would I have been able to join if after the deadline? I don't really have any knowledge to bring to the table, being a Contributor. I'm a active member yes but I'm still learning. Again I do support your decision but for people like myself it doesn't sound like I would get in after the deadline.

Also an idea. It would be cool to have a "Original Member" ID or "Insignia" by you name to show new members your "Status".

Marcus-SanDiego
10-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Gary, you would have sent me an email. You would have told me your story. You would have told me that you'd be active here. And you would have told me that you were a professional who was sick of the other forums. You likely would have been brought into the forum.

As for a badge, ID, insignia, I would rather not do that. I have already created a few divisions. The first 100 members on our site have join dates of Dec. 1969. People who have made financial contributions have a designation next to their screen names. ZHP Mafia Special Interest Group members have a SIG icon.

I'm reluctant, though, to create something that tells everyone that someone who joined after we closed. Of the three divisions I mentioned earlier, only the 1969 date is unattainable. Anyone can make a modest financial contribution to the site. And anyone can join the SIG. So, I will likely not implement your suggestion.

Having said that, I do appreciate the suggestion and I appreciate your kind words about the site.

I'm glad you joined when you did. You're a solid member of this community.

DirtyPillows
10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't know if this been said because I haven't read through all 14 pages but the one thing that this makes me sad about is there will not be any new 'new member' posts. I find these post to be the most interesting because of how each member showcase their car to us. Other than that I really don't have a problem with this.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
There will still be new member posts if you guys are referring new members to the site. If you guys don't refer anyone, then the new member threads will slow down. You guys should be looking for people on other forums that you frequent. I like to think that there are members waiting to escape those places. They may not know about us.

WOLFN8TR
10-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I wasn't aware there were the 3 classifications. You do have some good points, that's why your the Boss. Now that you explained it in detail it sounds fair. I didn't read thru the last 14 pages if you addressed this previously I apologize.

As always, Glad to be a Member....

Marcus-SanDiego
10-12-2011, 10:08 AM
No. I never did explain it. It's just something that was at the back of my mind. I'm really quite cognizant of creating divisions.

When we were started this forum, we debated about whether we'd even have post counts. I didn't really want them. The members, though, seemed to want them more. We kept them.

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
54 hours.

SoarinZHP
10-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Um... Now I'm paranoid... I need a valium for my anxiety and fear of being asked to leave or getting fired from the site...

In all seriousness, I think it's a good idea.

And Marcus - Can I just say, "I love you man." I completely admire not wanting to create divisions among the mafia. We're like Olive Garden - "When you're here, you're family."

Marcus-SanDiego
10-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Right. No divisions. We don't want to be like Animal Farm, where we're equal but some of us are more equal.

Seriously, though, I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments I've received from all of you.

az3579
10-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Mark -
I did see something I don't quite agree with...
You say to be a member here, one must be technically knowledgeable. Well, do you feel someone wouldn't be a fit here if they were active but not all that knowledgeable? You wouldn't consider someone who fits the criteria except for that one bit?

What if I didn't know anything technical because I was never exposed to technical stuff, just driving the car?

Just wondering how you would handle an application that would fit this scenario...

jreyes19
10-12-2011, 07:38 PM
wow glad I made it in time lol
but I am proud to be a part of this community

Marcus-SanDiego
10-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Mark -
You say to be a member here, one must be technically knowledgeable. Well, do you feel someone wouldn't be a fit here if they were active but not all that knowledgeable? You wouldn't consider someone who fits the criteria except for that one bit?

What if I didn't know anything technical because I was never exposed to technical stuff, just driving the car?

Just wondering how you would handle an application that would fit this scenario...

Actually, I was really just throwing that out there. A "for example" list. I'm taking a holistic approach. That's really the point I was trying to make (but didn't do a good enough job of doing).

danewilson77
10-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Mark -

Being technically knowledgeable would be one attribute of someone being considered. I think in this case......"technically knowledgeable" can almost be synonomously used with "willingness to learn", "enter into discussion", Contribute"

EDIT: That smiley is a ninja. Probably needs to be prefaced with a ":" in the software.

llll1l1ll
10-13-2011, 03:47 AM
I check and post just about every day. It's part of my morning ritual at work.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-13-2011, 06:21 AM
41 hours.

Go Horns!
10-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I support the idea of closing open registration, but it might be helpful to non-members if we had a guest question area. The guest would need to give their e-mail address and then they could post a question. If the guest goes crazy and abuses the area, a mod could ban them because of the e-mail identifier.

I think there are people out there who don't want to become an active member of the forum, but who would still like to pick our collective brain every once in a while.

bimmer848
10-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Dec 1969
:biggrin

az3579
10-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Cool, thanks for the clarification Mark + DW.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
You are welcome.

kayger12
10-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Dec 1969
:biggrin

:chuck

az3579
10-13-2011, 05:47 PM
How do I know I'm baller?
I joined the forum way before I was born. :shifty

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Shutting off in about 11 hours.

danewilson77
10-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Shutting off in about 11 hours.

Yup.....closing the valve.

C Withers Media
10-14-2011, 03:56 PM
#8 1969

Shut it down early.

If you are waiting until the 11th hour, you are a procrastinator.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Less than four hours.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm thinking about closing early and heading out with my camera.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
I think I am going to close the site down in about 40 minutes. In Praia, Cape Verde (off the coast of Africa), it will be midnight in 40 minutes.

Anyone who wanted in is in.

Hermes
10-14-2011, 04:29 PM
just let us get ONE more member so we have 1 thousand 330

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:31 PM
We have a few registrations in the queue right now. They just need to verify their email addresses. We'll be over 1330 shortly.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:37 PM
It's official. We are shutting down in 24 minutes.

If you want to get in the front door, sign up shortly, peeps.

danewilson77
10-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Flippin the switch.

Pinching it off.

yippee ki yay mother................................

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Just got another member. In the registration queue as well.

kayger12
10-14-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haimlez70fQ

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Keith. I watched the video. :biggrin

kayger12
10-14-2011, 04:48 PM
:rofl

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:48 PM
New member in and accounted for.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Ten minutes to go.

danewilson77
10-14-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6fB-FRKL78

Marcus-SanDiego
10-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Three minutes.

danewilson77
10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
1 minute....

az3579
10-15-2011, 02:46 AM
So I take it that we are now CLOSED.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Here you go, BP.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5165-It-s-Official-ZHPMafia.com-Closed-To-New-Members

az3579
10-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Here you go, BP.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5165-It-s-Official-ZHPMafia.com-Closed-To-New-Members

Thanks, didn't see that thread when I last posted here.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2013, 05:54 AM
I love this idea, because it is the single greatest step we can take as a Family to secure the feel and vibe that makes this place what it is.

Just checking out some things before I take a substantial step away from the forum.

Keith, this was definitely family planning at its best.