PDA

View Full Version : Cause of the rattle - FOUND and pissed!

Washburn
10-23-2011, 12:34 PM
So we were hearing this rather prominent rattle coming from the dash area of the ZHP every time upon driving off...couldn't find anything loose in the dash, and thought I'd just open the hood and check inside... and found THIS on the top of the engine cover !!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/screwd.jpg

It's about a foot long, and heavy!
should I complain to the last place that did the Oil change on the car? I can't really prove anything, and the noise didn't really emerge until today. I am glad it didn't fall off the engine cover and get caught up in pullies/belts etc !!! WTH! :mad:mad:mad

mimalmo
10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Not sure what they would need a screwdriver for if they were just changing the oil.

danewilson77
10-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Not sure what they would need a screwdriver for if they were just changing the oil.

+1

I would talk to service manager though, when you return screwdriver.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Washburn
10-23-2011, 12:41 PM
they may not have used it., but you know he/she might have had it in her/his hand for some other reason, and probably just rested it on the top, and forgot to take it off - that's what I think...
I did get an alignment at the same place (not @ the same time as the OC)...and I don't think they would need it for that either, so i think someone had the hood open and 'rested' it there for a moment, and forgot it.

Anyway, whether they used it or not, that doesn't matter - they left a damn 1 foot long screwdriver sitting on top of the engine!

midlandtech
10-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Ditto may get a free change out of it

Alphatek45
10-23-2011, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't let this place touch my car again, but I would walk in to the service managers office and hand him the screwdriver back.

Washburn
10-23-2011, 12:50 PM
I found the exact model and brand: This is it:
it's a Snap-On MPB S12:
Prybar, Striking, Straight Blade, Black, 12"

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=86293&group_ID=23124

cakM3
10-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't let this place touch my car again, but I would walk in to the service managers office and hand him the screwdriver back.

I agree with Adam's response above.

Washburn
10-23-2011, 01:36 PM
I have taken the car to 2 places: one place did a state inspection and repaired a tire, the other place did an OC and recently installed new tires and alignment... I am leaning towards the 2nd place, as that place is the one that would have needed the hood open. It must have been lodged in between the engine cover and the frame (edge near windshield) pretty well for some time and just gotten loose - hence the rattle today and not before...

Hornung418
10-23-2011, 02:19 PM
I left a screwdriver on my engine before... I couldn't find it and it's a multi-head screwdriver. My favorite :( No real damage it was under there for about a week LOL

I also left a pair of needle nose pliers on my windshield cowl for about a month...never even noticed them. No damage to the car, just rusty pliers.

But as a place of business, this is unacceptable. You don't pay someone to leave the surgical tools in your body after they remove your appendix...

Johnmadd
10-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Id keep that 40$ screwdriver and call it a day.

jreyes19
10-23-2011, 05:23 PM
wow idk what i would do actually
1 not deal with again
2 not return because they wont give you money, just a free service
3 they will ask for tool back
4 see if they are a bbb accredited, and complain

would keep the tool and count your lucky stars

danewilson77
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM

This doesn't hold them accountable and doesn't help the next customer though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Stu
10-23-2011, 07:10 PM
True story, on my last flight the engine couldn't be auto-started, so they needed to manually start it. It was supposed to be fixed, but they didn't. The pilot came on and said:

Well passengers, we're going to taxi over to get the second engine manually started since this was supposed to be fixed already. It's just like manually getting a car started: once it starts running, it won't be stopping. Also, we're going to have them check to make sure all of the panels are closed up and any stray tools aren't sitting on it. We don't want them flying away and damaging the engine on takeoff.

Johnmadd
10-23-2011, 07:34 PM
This doesn't hold them accountable and doesn't help the next customer though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

At least the mafia knows. :-)
Google review by the op would be my next step.

danewilson77
10-24-2011, 05:37 AM
At least the mafia knows. :-)
Google review by the op would be my next step.

Not trying to "tit for tat" you here John......but a blastful review prior to talking personally with someone is unwarranted IMHO.

This could be an extrememly isolated event, that they may try to make right somehow. Never know till you ask...

gr330zhp
10-24-2011, 08:30 PM

I like this response :rofl

I have ALMOST done it before, it is an easy mistake. They should have been more careful. But i usually woulda seen it under the hood, the same day I got the car too :dunno. If ever my car goes somewhere, rare occasion, I always check under the hood and make sure stuff is still under there

echo46
10-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Ridiculous

billschusteriv
10-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Wow.

:facepalm