PDA

View Full Version : Do you let the dealer wash your car?

nike001
10-25-2011, 05:33 PM
..if you take it to the dealer, that is. Since working and washing cars at BMW, I've only encountered a handful of people that said to not wash their cars. I can see them not wanting us to hand-wash their cars since dealers are known for doing more damage than good. Whenever I did anything wash-wise at work, I only used the degreaser and wheel brightener and hosed off. I never touched it with a mit.

We just got a new car wash about a week ago that we just started using. Apparently its one of the automatic car washes that BMW has even approved for washing cars. I took a brand new x6 though it last Thursday, and a newer 135i through it today and I felt nervous (though I did take mine through it to test it)

danewilson77
10-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Touchless of course.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
10-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Every now and then I allow the dealer to wash my car. I know the guys who work there and they always do a great job on my car...:biggrin

johnrando
10-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Sometimes yes, figuring they'd know how to handle nice cars.

Whitexi
10-25-2011, 05:59 PM
One time the dealer washed my cousins car they broke the side fender marker off and never mentioned anything. The last time they washed mine they hid a in car freshener that was extremely strong. I was looking for it the whole way home since it really made it hard for me to breath.

nike001
10-25-2011, 06:01 PM
I know I always did a good job on nice(er) cars there. We usually do good jobs on nice ones.. or ones that show that they're taken care off; like make sure all their rims are clean, degrease, tire shine etc. Then for the neglected ones, we just shove in and out.. or if its a nice 7 or something and looks like it needs a little lovin, I'll help the owner out. It's usually the 328i's that are tossed in/out. They're more or less treated all the same now with the new car wash.

Touchless of course.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Touchless is just as bad if not worse, I've read. They use harsh chemicals in order to get the dirt off, instead of agitating it with brushes

Whitexi
10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
My car lives at the touch less all winter. I always was worried the car would get stuck in the brush one.... or at least just mine haha

Johnmadd
10-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Tmcircle

M0nk3y
10-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I write NO WASH on the windshield, no wash on my key tag, and leave no wash paper on the dash....

You can make your own assumptions.

kayger12
10-26-2011, 01:47 AM
I write NO WASH on the windshield, no wash on my key tag, and leave no wash paper on the dash....

:rofl

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Whitexi
10-26-2011, 03:58 AM

But you forgot to write "Does not leave dealer lot" on the paper work, you may want to so that your car doesn't end up like the Autoban BMW disaster!

For those confused about that just google it, the people on that forum made it a number one hit on googles search engine when that incident occured.

gr330zhp
10-26-2011, 04:29 AM
When I used to go to the dealer I would ask for them not to wash the 330i. My parents are the same way about the M6 and S4

PKR
10-26-2011, 09:08 AM
No. Way.

Ryans323i
10-26-2011, 09:20 AM

:like

PS. I'd like to wash BMWs for $$.

HokieZHP
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Well first off my head hurts as I just read through most of that M5 thread...can't believe it!

As for my family, we never get our cars washed at the dealer, ever.

billschusteriv
10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Hehehe.

They offered me a complimentary wash and then didn't do it. I'm not biased.... yet. I'm sure I'd feel the same if I put all the hard work or money into getting the car detailed and then having a bad experience at the local dealer.

Whitexi
10-26-2011, 11:35 AM
To throw salt on a wound when my cousin realized they broke the light it was after they had the car for a month because there "trial and error" way of throwing parts at it for fixing things didn't work out.

johnnyrad
10-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Never, ever..Only I am authorized to wash my cars. Hand wash in the garage or the driveway if it's cloudy. Control freak yes.

meesh
10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
There might be something wrong with me, but I always wash my 7-year-old car before I take it to the dealership for anything.

It just bugs me when they ask if they can wash it, I say "no," and then they follow up with, "But it's free!"

I hate that.

Meric
10-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Just a question? why? Do they scratch it or something? Never been to dealer for service im getting my taillights fixed this nov 7 just curious.

HokieZHP
10-27-2011, 10:42 PM
From what I've seen, they just don't care. They'll scratch it, leave soap on it in spots cause they're too lazy to wash it off. Or they'll just do a straight up crappy job washing it. I've seen guys with keys on their beltloop leaning over a car to wash the roof and the keys are meanwhile scratching up the door.

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Just a question? why? Do they scratch it or something? Never been to dealer for service im getting my taillights fixed this nov 7 just curious.

Well...its just that we're all pretty anal with the way we wash out cars....and not washing your car with proper love, attention, and materials, will leave swirl marks in the paint.

UdubBadger
10-28-2011, 05:18 AM
I have more swirls in my paint than a lifetime supply of soft serve. And I ONLY handwash my car.

kayger12
10-28-2011, 05:20 AM
I have more swirls in my paint than a lifetime supply of soft serve. And I ONLY handwash my car.

Do you use the two-bucket method?

Top to bottom washing?

Micro-fiber kept in a sealed bag when not being used?

My car washing is like surgery. Well, without the nurses and $400k salary...

UdubBadger
10-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Do you use the two-bucket method?

Top to bottom washing?

Micro-fiber kept in a sealed bag when not being used?

My car washing is like surgery. Well, without the nurses and $400k salary...

I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, hand wash top to bottom and no circular motions, microfiber towel dry - not zip locked but washed after each use, and detail spray the entire car with a microfiber as well. Never saw the need to 2 buckets though, I have a grit guard in the 1 I use however.

kayger12
10-28-2011, 05:28 AM
I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, hand wash top to bottom and no circular motions, microfiber towel dry - not zip locked but washed after each use, and detail spray the entire car with a microfiber as well. Never saw the need to 2 buckets though, I have a grit guard in the 1 I use however.

Hmm. Curious where the swirls are coming from.

I've read that even with the grit guard-- small particles can get caught up and suspended in the suds when you use single bucket. :dunno

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Soft wax?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

UdubBadger
10-28-2011, 06:14 AM
probably DW. I get detailed by a guy who does all my wax. His paint correction skills aren't the best so maybe it's just slow build up of swirls over a year and a half.

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 06:56 AM
probably DW. I get detailed by a guy who does all my wax. His paint correction skills aren't the best so maybe it's just slow build up of swirls over a year and a half.

Strip, pc, and then do a sealant and a good hard wax.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

UdubBadger
10-28-2011, 07:14 AM
pretty sure thats what we did last time I went in but my inclination is he didn't strip the old stuff very well. My limited knowledge of paint correction is you need to use various pad grits to correct the imperfections properly. He only used 1.

MrMaico
10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
There might be something wrong with me, but I always wash my 7-year-old car before I take it to the dealership for anything.

It just bugs me when they ask if they can wash it, I say "no," and then they follow up with, "But it's free!"

I hate that.

That's always a good idea. I know with motorcycle mechanics especially, they don't appreciate having to work on a dirty bike and I'm sure it would hold true on cars too. They will take more care when they see the owner takes pride in their vehicles. I know when I take anything to a mechanic, car or bike, it's always cleaned beforehand.

nike001
10-28-2011, 05:22 PM
That's always a good idea. I know with motorcycle mechanics especially, they don't appreciate having to work on a dirty bike and I'm sure it would hold true on cars too. They will take more care when they see the owner takes pride in their vehicles. I know when I take anything to a mechanic, car or bike, it's always cleaned beforehand.

This. When I handwashed cars, I always did a better job on the ones that were clearly taken care of. It depends on the dealer too. Some dealers you're clearly going to get kids not caring about the cars. Me and the kid I worked with always did pretty decent jobs.