PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone live with a steering wheel shake?

Whitexi
11-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I sometimes feel as if im he only one that has a wobbly wheel but its fine until 65-70. Im thinking its my crappy tires, there Goodyear Assurance a/s. I feel as if its not always the same amount of wobble as if the tires get flat spots after sitting and get less during driving. I looked at the cab and they seem fine, ive rotated the wheels and that has helped a bit but allowed wobbling at different times. Im hoping my new tires solve this since ive read people having issues with Goodyears not balancing but as of now im done chasing it.

I can't be alone :rofl

az3579
11-06-2011, 03:38 PM
In this order, this is what I would try:

Wheel balancing
Check suspension

If both are good, then your tire is defective. That happened to me; I had all my suspension sorted including a balance, but still had a vibration. It was bad tires (BOTH fronts) despite being new. I must have gotten a bad batch or something.

Whitexi
11-06-2011, 04:09 PM
The suspension seemed ok, I had two balanced they seemed worse. I am changing the tires soon so ive decided to not pay for another balance.

Jesse M
11-06-2011, 04:18 PM
yeah, but I need my wheels balanced again, couple weights fell off.

kayger12
11-06-2011, 04:18 PM
The suspension seemed ok, I had two balanced they seemed worse. I am changing the tires soon so ive decided to not pay for another balance.

This.

Just wait until you throw the Khumos on. That may very well clear it up.

I had a similar issue with my 325 and it ended up being the tires.

Whitexi
11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I hope so, its cold now and I don't wanna be doing any work to the car if I don't have to.

DirtyPillows
11-06-2011, 09:50 PM
i do not have the wheel wobble at a certain speed rather i get it when i brake but only when I'm braking lightly. I don't mean the jerk that tends to happen rather if i break at the right pressure then i can feel my steering wheel wobble but as soon as I add some heavier pressure on the break it goes away. Anyone know what this could be. I felt this was similar topic and did not need a new thread for this.

kayger12
11-07-2011, 02:35 AM
i do not have the wheel wobble at a certain speed rather i get it when i brake but only when I'm braking lightly. I don't mean the jerk that tends to happen rather if i break at the right pressure then i can feel my steering wheel wobble but as soon as I add some heavier pressure on the break it goes away. Anyone know what this could be. I felt this was similar topic and did not need a new thread for this.

Sounds like CABs.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Whitexi
11-07-2011, 03:20 AM
When I had a bad ball joint it did that also or cab as keith said.

GMATT
11-07-2011, 03:22 AM

Most likley CABS, I had the same problem and it went completely away after changing them. Also had bad inside tire wear on one front tire, so we also changed them. (just swapped sides to see if any different, and it was)

llll1l1ll
11-07-2011, 04:39 AM
OP, I would check again at the CABs. If you know they were replaced recently, then I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you don't know the age, time to investigate. If you don't know already, a good way to test them is get the front wheels in the air. Grip one of the front tires at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and then wiggle it from side to side (i.e. pull one arm and push with the other; switch and repeat). If the wheel has some play, might want to investigate into new bushings.

I had the same problem. It's the CABs.

Whitexi
11-07-2011, 06:38 AM
I checked for wobble and had my dad hold the steering wheel and they appeared fine. I changed them 40k ago but I really don't wanna do them now lol if I could hold off. If its not fixed with the new tires and a balance then ill be changing the cab.

mikeyb74
11-07-2011, 07:47 AM
I have steering wheel shake with new control arms, balljoints, cabs, and tie rods. I think on of the front wheels is bent.

static667
11-07-2011, 08:03 AM
I have dealt with wheel shake every day, on every car, every wheel, every tire I have ever owned. FML.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.

johnrando
11-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I'd echo what BP said. In my experience, it's usually been balancing, and fortunately that one of the easiest things to have checked. Then go through the other things on the list. You really shouldn't have to live with wheel shake.

webster
11-07-2011, 09:07 AM
i had some harsh cabin vibes and loud noise at certain speeds/RPMs and after i got new tires it all went away.