PDA

View Full Version : What DON'T you like about your ZHP?

Pages : [1] 2

SoarinZHP
11-06-2011, 05:26 PM
OK - I am going out on a limb because I haven't seen this question asked...

What don't you like (or bothers you) about your ZHP and why?

I'm interested to see what pops up...

I'll start - That stray rubber hose or wire that goes to nothing located in the battery carrier in the trunk - that bothers me... It's a stray...

Whitexi
11-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I hate how to open the trunk with the button on the handle outside all the doors need to be unlocked. Its really annoying.

Hermes
11-06-2011, 05:29 PM
The steering wheel should have long protrusions on the lower part of it, see this from a W212:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/23beb803.jpg

cakM3
11-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I hate it that I was not the original owner of my ZHP.

If anything, I would have liked to have TPM and updated LCM to support lane change signaling...

SoarinZHP
11-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Kind to think about it, I don't like not having a Limited Slip Differential. Really BMW? Using traction control? Seriously? I expected more from a 40k car.

edlvrt
11-06-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm not a fan of the way the pedals feel and respond. Clutch engages too high, brake should require more effort, and the gas is too slow to respond. And the fact that you can't keep the black paint clean for more than 6 hours, but that's not BMW's fault.

midlandtech
11-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Throttle response, LSD, CDV

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Drives me nuts that the steering wheel is not in-line with my seating position. My body is very slightly twisted when manhandling the steering wheel.
I don't know if it's just my head, but I could swear I'm developing some kind of lower back issue, mainly due to the highly uncomfortable seat. I really wish it had a lot more lumbar support, like the M3 seats do. I can't get out of my car after a 2 hour drive without some kind of lower back discomfort.

Newjack
11-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Throttle response and the fact that I can't get into my trunk through the backseats.

Since one of those complaints is recycled and the other one took me a long time to think about, I'd say BMW did a pretty good job.

HokieZHP
11-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Slow throttle response, no LSD, no cold weather package, how the last owner put buffer marks on it, vanos, how the trunk is just barely too small to fit my golf bag with driver in, the pillar fabric peeling issue. Maybe a few others but can't think of them now.

S85FTW
11-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Headers help with throttle response tremendously, but my complaints are:

How many times I replaced my sidemarkers (3x now from discoloration from the snow)
Alcantara steering wheel wear
Wrinkling A Pillars

SoarinZHP
11-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Drives me nuts that the steering wheel is not in-line with my seating position. My body is very slightly twisted when manhandling the steering wheel.
I don't know if it's just my head, but I could swear I'm developing some kind of lower back issue, mainly due to the highly uncomfortable seat.

I thought it was me needing to see a chiropractor because my spine was "out of alignment."

wsmeyer
11-06-2011, 06:17 PM
The steering wheel not being parallel to the dash really irks me.

The pushing unlock twice to unlock the passenger door is bad enough but at least on mine if you click it a second time too soon it will never unlock and you have to hit lock and start over. I know this could be changed with programming but it's still annoying.

That's about it for me. Not too many for 5 years and 41K miles.

William.

thesixsins
11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
No LSD.
And the whole sub frame thing just scares me.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-06-2011, 06:36 PM
This is a related thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2516-What-does-your-car-do-to-piss-you-off

danewilson77
11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Yes.....AM reception is another one.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't know if it's just my head, but I could swear I'm developing some kind of lower back issue, mainly due to the highly uncomfortable seat. I really wish it had a lot more lumbar support, like the M3 seats do. I can't get out of my car after a 2 hour drive without some kind of lower back discomfort.

BP,

I have spare M3 seats...:biggrin

Hermes
11-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Yes.....AM reception is another one.

WHAT???

I only switch to AM to hear games (and even that is very rare)

I am almost expecting to hear a story about a bad 8-track now...

SoarinZHP
11-06-2011, 07:18 PM
This is a related thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2516-What-does-your-car-do-to-piss-you-off

Nice find! I didn't catch it...

meesh
11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I actually like the color and the font of my old 330ci's gauges better than those in my ZHP. I think the gray/italicized look was more distinctive. Oh, and the shadowline trim creates a glare by the windows, but what can you do ...

ryankokesh
11-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I just wish they were special.

I also don't like the front suspension. Maybe it's just me, and maybe the xi has a bit to do with it (sorry for un-zhping things), but I'm always afraid going over bumps that I'm going to break something or knock something loose, etc.

There seem to be more random squeaks than I care for as well...

webster
11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
i don't like that i'm always worried someone is going to ding or scratch it while parked.

the vanos rattle is annoying. the rear deck rattle even more so. damn rattles.

i hate the feel of degrading alcantara. ready for a new wheel like no other!

Johal E32
11-06-2011, 09:26 PM
alcantara steering wheel. ZKWs.

and you think the car is special while others say its just a 330i with a body kit. However, secretly you know it's still special :)

Alphatek45
11-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Too slow ( starting to really bother me.) LSD.

johnrando
11-07-2011, 07:50 AM
WHAT???

I only switch to AM to hear games (and even that is very rare)

I am almost expecting to hear a story about a bad 8-track now...

Since that was originally mine, I should update that I was actually able to greatly improve my AM reception tightening things down. I listen to sports and sport talk a LOT in the car, especially because I don't have long drives. I will add that throttle response WAS a "not-like" but the steps I've taken have remedied that to a great extent. So, as in my other post, it's all love, nobody's perfect and I can easily put up with some minor flaws. :)

jreyes19
11-07-2011, 01:06 PM
That mine isnt a zhp :(
rattles

Rock Nova
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
The center arm rest/console - I bump the back of my arm on it all the time!

And brake dust - these brakes dust like crazy!

redwagon
11-07-2011, 01:29 PM
different brake pads can help with dust-

my dislikes-
I'd like fewer miles on my ZHP. I wish I was the original owner or could buy the exact same car new. I really dislike the scratches and crap from PO.
I feel like the cooling system and door regulators are constant time bombs that are a pain to deal with.
The interior plastic coating/paint that seems to get soft and come off (how to prevent that??)
AM reception sucks. I prefer just the 6 cyl symphony and the HK for music, but need news and traffic navigating to/from work.

but big picture its probably my most favorite car I've ever owned, and my second E46. Its not the fastest, or the prettiest, most efficient, but it does everything very very well and is just a lot of fun to drive........still puts a smile on my face every time I see it, or take a fast corner, on ramp, off ramp, mountain road, etc......

Tim

Go Horns!
11-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Lack of power. This past weekend was the first time I hauled around a full load of passengers and it felt like I was dragging an anchor. Good thing I don't have kids because I'm starting a supercharger fund.

M0nk3y
11-07-2011, 02:36 PM
For my xi (sorry for non-zhp) but the steering felt too numb, unconnected from the road.
Shifter feel was extremely sloppy in the gate and 1-2, 3-4 felt like it was pulling a 10ft pole down (too long of a shift)
CV boots, enough said
Expansion Tank

jayjay_dee
11-07-2011, 02:42 PM
... that my ZHP is not an ///M3

Washburn
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Whenever i look at the rear view mirror, esp. on a sunny day (perhaps even at night), something I always see is the silver trim on the rear HK speakers reflected on the rear windshield... i wish SO MUCH those silver trim lines were black/matte or some other color. it bugs me for some reason.
still getting used to window switches being on the middle console. i guess all my other cars had them on the door/arm rest, and I still keep looking/groping for them on the arm rest http://s1.e46fanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/bluehappy.gif
I always knock my arm/hand against the fold down arm rest when I reach for the front cup holder...I guess I should put the arm rest up.
I wish I could turn off the gauges/dash illumination completely off and make the interior completely dark at night. even at the lowest illumination level, all the displays are still pretty bright. (Saab cars had this night mode thing where everything turns off and only the speedo and gas, temp gauge are dimly lit..)
Compared with the radio in my 97 Tbird, FM reception is WEAK. and when I turn on the rear defroster, any weak channel goes staticky. sad! but I do like how FM sounds when it's good...
The trunk doesn't pop OPEN with the remote - it just UNLOCKS - what good is that when you have your hands full and want the damn thing OPEN? Both my Tbird and wife's Elantra OPEN the trunks with remote.
the trunk button inside is HARD to reach - horrible placement - again, my Tbird's is in the center console/arm rest - where it should be.

S85FTW
11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Another few things I dont like...
The rust discoloration forming on my side view mirrors
The random dimming of my dash, then turns back to normal brightness (I assume something with the headlight sensor on the left)

johnnyrad
11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
- I can't stand when you put her in reverse the passenger side mirror automatically aims to the ground..WTF I'm not 16 years old with zero driving experience. It actually makes backing up worse.
- I can't stand the fact that mine is 2005 and doesn't come standard with an iPod hook up..C'mon BMW should be a given, even in 2005.
- It annoys me that every punkie brewster with a VW, Suzuki, or POS with a Borla exhaust and tinted windows thinks he's on Top Gear and wants to race. Really?
Other then that, best car I have ever owned period!

HokieZHP
11-07-2011, 03:46 PM
^^ flip your mirror adjustment selector to the other side and your mirror will no longer go down when you put it in reverse.

johnrando
11-07-2011, 03:46 PM
- I can't stand when you put her in reverse the passenger side mirror automatically aims to the ground..WTF I'm not 16 years old with zero driving experience. It actually makes backing up worse.
- I can't stand the fact that mine is 2005 and doesn't come standard with an iPod hook up..C'mon BMW should be a given, even in 2005.
- It annoys me that every punkie brewster with a VW, Suzuki, or POS with a Borla exhaust and tinted windows thinks he's on Top Gear and wants to race. Really?
Other then that, best car I have ever owned period!

For item #1, switch the side-mirror selection switch to the other side and it won't lower anymore when put in reverse.

johnnyrad
11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
For item #1, switch the side-mirror selection switch to the other side and it won't lower anymore when put in reverse.

Really?!?! Did not know that..Aw the little things. Thanks guys

johnrando
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
You're welcome. Looks like Hokie and I posted at the same time.

ryankokesh
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Mirror tilting down is one of my favorite options... Makes parallel parking 10x easier.

danewilson77
11-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Mirror tilting down is one of my favorite options... Makes parallel parking 10x easier.

I bet it does.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM

I agree, wheel scratch saver.

SoarinZHP
11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
For some people I would assume it just lets them see their wheels as they're being scratched.... LOL

Feature included for 'special' people.

PS - No offense intended or implied. This is all in good (or bad) humor.

az3579
11-07-2011, 06:29 PM

This.
Makes reversing into a spot that much easier as well. I'm OCD with my parking. I must be in the CENTER of the lane. Not slightly to the left, not slightly to the right. CENTER. The mirror is instrumental in making this happen. :)

ryankokesh
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Lol. That is OCD :)

Oli77
11-08-2011, 07:35 AM
After 1.5 years driving it daily (and coming from a 4 cyl. Camry), I think the back seat area is too small.
I got used to all the qwirkyness of the machine for the most part.

Scorpius
11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Well...The throttle response, but that's easily fixed with the Shark Injector :-)
Cupholders just absolutely SUCK.
I hate that my front skirt looks like I've been attacked with shotguns, but hey...I drive 90% of my mileage at highway speeds which for me means 80+
I hate the alligators I've hit at night or have been thrown in my path...they really do a number on the stock fogs. And pretty much anything will dislodge those little foglight trim pieces. I bet i've bought 10 of them since owning the car.
I hate how the rims are a pain to clean, but I LOVE the way they look on the rare event that they are clean ;-) Mostly just brake dust grey. Should just paint them black instead.
I hate how anything performance with this car is mucho expensive.

however....she is my love...I wouldn't trade her for the world, even with her faults. I fell in love the first day I saw her sitting there nice and new as she rolled off the truck for me from a Virginia dealer. (only one in the US at the time that was loaded to the hilt with exact color and options I wanted)
So...Megan is my girl. I hope she'll take to to 500,000 miles. (164,xxx on her now)

shendrick
11-08-2011, 02:05 PM
The front seats don't really fit anyone 6'1" or taller.

nike001
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I hate how to open the trunk with the button on the handle outside all the doors need to be unlocked. Its really annoying.

Can't you just use the key and turn it the way you usually do to unlock it and then that will make it so only the drivers door needs to be unlocked to get in? As opposed to all the doors. I could be wrong though..

My list:
No LSD (Of course)
Only 10hp. For a m3 sedan substitute, I think we should have gotten more power than 10hp.
Weird seating position. I have my seat at the lowest possible point. Definitely should have gotten a coupe.
My recent maintenance expenses and headaches
Still too quiet of an exhaust note at WOT (or anything agressive)
it's a 2004 :P
clutch
rock chips
my windows always get streaks... drives me insaneee
would have liked to get alcantara interior
my dash has a purple hue in sunlight compared to the doors

az3579
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM

Sure they do. I'm 6'1" and there's plenty of room. Heck, you could fit a full-sized adult in the seat behind me with ample legroom...
Try readjusting your seating position.

S85FTW
11-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Sure they do. I'm 6'1" and there's plenty of room. Heck, you could fit a full-sized adult in the seat behind me with ample legroom...
Try readjusting your seating position.

Haha you beat me to it Botond, as you know I am 6'3", not frail by any means and still fit fine in the drivers seat. I can fit someone up to 5'10" behind me

echo46
11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Cheap ass CCV hoses and their ridiculous connectors. I also hate the way the bolsters wear. I try to extract myself without touching the bolster.

johnrando
11-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Two words: CON VERTIBLE. :biggrin

ryankokesh
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
hope it doesn't rain :)

Edit:

Two words: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Johal E32
11-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Can't you just use the key and turn it the way you usually do to unlock it and then that will make it so only the drivers door needs to be unlocked to get in? As opposed to all the doors. I could be wrong though..

My list:
No LSD (Of course)
Only 10hp. For a m3 sedan substitute, I think we should have gotten more power than 10hp.
Weird seating position. I have my seat at the lowest possible point. Definitely should have gotten a coupe.
My recent maintenance expenses and headaches
Still too quiet of an exhaust note at WOT (or anything agressive)
it's a 2004 :P
clutch
rock chips
my windows always get streaks... drives me insaneee
would have liked to get alcantara interior
my dash has a purple hue in sunlight compared to the doors

what do you not like about the clutch? Everyone who has drive my zhp has said it has a really really nice clutch. I too think it has a nice clutch, I'm at 117k miles and on the original one, it still has THOUSANDS of miles of life left in it.

llll1l1ll
11-09-2011, 04:38 AM
I'm 6'2" and fit just fine ::shrug::

edlvrt
11-09-2011, 12:56 PM
what do you not like about the clutch? Everyone who has drive my zhp has said it has a really really nice clutch. I too think it has a nice clutch, I'm at 117k miles and on the original one, it still has THOUSANDS of miles of life left in it.

It is has a smooth, easy engagement and works fine, but I wish the engagement point was closer to the floorboard (mine is halfway up, don't know if something is wrong with my car) and it took more effort to depress.

T.Bird
11-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Those crazy ass auto windshield wipers. No matter what they just end up wiping constantly even without moisture on the windshield. I just want a timed setting! :crying

Hermes
11-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Those crazy ass auto windshield wipers. No matter what they just end up wiping constantly even without moisture on the windshield. I just want a timed setting! :crying

Use the knob in the stalk or push the stalk to the next setting

T.Bird
11-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I read something somewhere about "resetting" them by turning the knob down and then back up to the setting...and this works briefly. But sure enough within 30 seconds the wipers are going constantly again.

Hermes
11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I think this has to do more with position and size of the censor, here I usually get mad at it because I'll have a layer of drizzle on my windshield and it won't go off because nothing is covering the sensor yet. I'm guessing you probably just constantly have water covering it

wsmeyer
11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
It is has a smooth, easy engagement and works fine, but I wish the engagement point was closer to the floorboard (mine is halfway up, don't know if something is wrong with my car) and it took more effort to depress.

With one of these:

http://www.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=uuc&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=295635402&Count2=212775826&Keyword=clutch+stop&Target=products.asp&x=0&y=0

you can get rid of about 3/4" of the initial dead travel. More if you disable the switch that won't let you start the car without the clutch pedal depressed.

This was definitely my cheapest and most effective mod to date.

William.

kayger12
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
With one of these:

http://www.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=uuc&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=295635402&Count2=212775826&Keyword=clutch+stop&Target=products.asp&x=0&y=0

you can get rid of about 3/4" of the initial dead travel. More if you disable the switch that won't let you start the car without the clutch pedal depressed.

This was definitely my cheapest and most effective mod to date.

William.

Or this: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?884-Clutch-Stop&highlight=clutch+stop

wsmeyer
11-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Or this: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?884-Clutch-Stop&highlight=clutch+stop

Damn that would have saved me about two six-packs of $$

William.

Johal E32
11-09-2011, 04:14 PM

yeah mine engages at more or less half way. I have driven a 1993 E34 M5, boy was that clutch sensitive...

das boots
11-09-2011, 04:43 PM
I would like to say that I haven't been long with the ZHP. So, I will only give one thought for now....Fuel Pump. Why didn't they use the same fuel pump from the E39's 3.0? They have exactly the same engine. And yet they used a rinky-dinky pump? WTF. So, that's it for now....one rant down. I'm sure there will be more as I encounter them. But I will give my thoughts sparingly. Since I have lots to compare with.....there are other Bimmers that are also a PIA to maintain. Did I also mention expensive?

az3579
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Two words: CON VERTIBLE. :biggrin

Not ideal if you wish to go very fast legally...

ROLL BAR

or

NO TRACK

:(

Use the knob in the stalk or push the stalk to the next setting

Weirdly enough that does nothing for me. But, my auto wipers work they way they're supposed to; they're not wiping constantly if it's not raining at a steady rate. :dunno

llll1l1ll
11-10-2011, 05:05 AM

Yes. This is the thing I hate most. It's nice on the highway and in heavy rain because it is marginally functional, but anything that's just a light rain I usually just operate them myself.

prowlerflyer
11-10-2011, 06:40 AM
LSD!! Magnified with the supercharger.

Long term parts reliability. The car feels well built, but it seems some parts were built to a minimal price and not for long term durability. The Japanese entering the luxury car market I believe dramatically effected how particularly BMW & MB built their cars.

That being said I still believe the E46 ZHP to be the pinnacle of the small sports sedan.

yura
11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Haha you beat me to it Botond, as you know I am 6'3", not frail by any means and still fit fine in the drivers seat. I can fit someone up to 5'10" behind me

I'm 6'0 and fit perfectly fine in the back of my ZHP coupe. In fact, there's space above my head.

For comparison, if I sit in the back of my friend's '04 G35, my head needs to rest on my shoulder for me to fit. I love the rear space in the ZHP!

S85FTW
11-10-2011, 06:25 PM
and the G35 is slower! haha

titaniumair
11-10-2011, 06:38 PM
...the non-height adjustable center armrest. Coming from a Z4, it got in the way of shifting a little. I've since gotten used to it but BMW should of made it adjustable like in some Mercedes models.

cakM3
11-10-2011, 07:50 PM
LSD!! Magnified with the supercharger.

Long term parts reliability. The car feels well built, but it seems some parts were built to a minimal price and not for long term durability. The Japanese entering the luxury car market I believe dramatically effected how particularly BMW & MB built their cars.

That being said I still believe the E46 ZHP to be the pinnacle of the small sports sedan.

Yes, but that supercharger is really addicting Steve :thumbsup ....sort of like the S54 on my ///M when you are passing 6000 rpms...:)

antcamp
11-10-2011, 09:25 PM
The wiper blades blow. Ive tried different blades with different adapters and fittings. So i guess they have to come from the dealer which makes them suck even more...

az3579
11-11-2011, 01:43 PM
and the G35 is slower! haha

Bold claim!
G35 has more horsepressurez... a lot more... makes a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference! I don't think it weighs that much more for it to be a moot point. Have to check.
I'm sure it's not as much fun to drive than the ZHP.

HokieZHP
11-11-2011, 01:49 PM
I know for a fact that between a ZHP and g37, it's not even close but a g35 i think is more evenish

HokieZHP
11-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Few more things I've noticed lately that I don't like:
- No adjustable lumbar support
- How the armrest sits over the 2nd cupholder (ultimate cup holder solved this issue but still annoying)
- My worn alcantara steering wheel

Hermes
11-11-2011, 02:46 PM
my long list...

seating postition - my ass is too high off the floorpan, should be 1-2 inches lower

along with previous one, roofline should be chopped 0.5-1 inch

don't have alcantara but I would be pissed about the wear on it

cube trim scratches real easily. Also, why cube and not CF? they used real CF on other car parts

impossible to find a non-sunroof model

don't like how the door handle works, up and out. people get confused whenever they get in my car for the first time

stupid useless back cupholder, should have a single cupholder/euro tray option w/o coin tray

minimal upgrade from stock 330, should be more of a difference in power.

all the possible BMW Performance parts should have come on the ZHP package not just some, maybe the price should have been $6000 instead of $4000

steering wheel should be better, I already mentioned that in earlier post but the M3 should have a better one too

plastic pieces of trim fade very quickly (lower bumper grill, windshield cowl)

throttle lag, WTF?

baking facelift coupe/vert headlamps

all the known issues that wouldn't exist if this was 1985 (VANOS seals, coolant system, intake boots, IVC, DISA, strut tower mushrooming, window regulator, GM5, rear shelf rattle). By the 1985 reference I mean that BMWs were over-engineered back in the day, now they are engineered just enough to compete with the Asian cars.

Overall I love my car, but it could have been done better from AG...

HokieZHP
11-11-2011, 02:53 PM
cube trim scratches real easily. Also, why cube and not CF? they used real CF on other car parts

stupid useless back cupholder, should have a single cupholder/euro tray option w/o coin tray

minimal upgrade from stock 330, should be more of a difference in power.

all the possible BMW Performance parts should have come on the ZHP package not just some, maybe the price should have been $6000 instead of $4000

plastic pieces of trim fade very quickly (lower bumper grill, windshield cowl)

I couldn't agree more about these!

webster
11-11-2011, 03:00 PM
who needs cupholders? you shouldn't be drinking in your BMW anyway.

heh

Hermes
11-11-2011, 03:05 PM
i agree, but what is the point of the back one? they should have never even made it that way

HokieZHP
11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Cup holders = necessity for road trips /DD cars haha

I want a euro tray so bad and now that I have my ultimate cup holder I may switch but at least for me I gotta have cup holders since it's my DD. MY family's "fun" cars don't have cup holders or stereos or power anything haha, then again it only gets driven 1-2k miles a year.

webster
11-11-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm spoiled by lack of commute, I never have the urge to consume anything other than gasoline while driving.

For road trips I buy bottles with screw tops and pin them against the seat, works perfect. Euro tray ftw :)

Hermes
11-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm spoiled by lack of commute, I never have the urge to consume anything other than gasoline while driving.

For road trips I buy bottles with screw tops and pin them against the seat, works perfect. Euro tray ftw :)

I sometimes cram a bottle of water in the inside corner of the passenger seat with the seatbelt clasp holding it, usually when I have my phone in the cupholder

az3579
11-11-2011, 08:02 PM
The cupholders are fine compared to the E39 cupholders. Those would break if you as much as looked at them funny, and in the very rare event that I do get into an E39 that has working cupholders (I can't remember the last one, to be honest), you can't put anything in it anyway because it won't fit anything larger than a can, and is mounted far too low to hold anything anyway, even said can. Our E46 cupholders are the shiznizat compared to the E39... :biggrin

Hermes
11-11-2011, 08:17 PM
The cupholders are fine compared to the E39 cupholders. Those would break if you as much as looked at them funny, and in the very rare event that I do get into an E39 that has working cupholders (I can't remember the last one, to be honest), you can't put anything in it anyway because it won't fit anything larger than a can, and is mounted far too low to hold anything anyway, even said can. Our E46 cupholders are the shiznizat compared to the E39... :biggrin

I had to google this... this is what the "Cupholders" on my E32 looked like (not E32 in picture)

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1033/1009573o.jpg

az3579
11-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I had to google this... this is what the "Cupholders" on my E32 looked like

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1033/1009573o.jpg

That looks like an E36. Is that what you meant? I believe E32's didn't have cupholders.

Sent from my Droid Charge 4G on Verizon.

Hermes
11-11-2011, 08:29 PM
my E32 had the same thing in the glove box (you apparently clicked quote before I added that it's not an E32 in the picture)

I can't find a picture anywhere, maybe Johal can put up a picture of his. This is the closest I got

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/v/r/8.png

az3579
11-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Cool tidbit.
I wonder how the Germans expected anyone to use them if there was a passenger. :biggrin

nike001
11-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Cool tidbit.
I wonder how the Germans expected anyone to use them if there was a passenger. :biggrin

They don't care. They probably put them there for us.. thats why they have the euro-trays with no cup holders. If us fat americans need to use a cup holder, we'll figure out how to use them.

echo46
11-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Those damn sandblast chips on the hood. I looked at my car today in the direct morning sun and it reminded me of a Rod Stewart lyric "The morning sun when it's in your eyes really shows your age."
Then I thought for I minute and continued with the Stewart theme, "But that doesn't bother me none because in my eyes you're everything."
Just a little Monday morning nonsense for all.

johnrando
11-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Those damn sandblast chips on the hood. I looked at my car today in the direct morning sun and it reminded me of a Rod Stewart lyric "The morning sun when it's in your eyes really shows your age."
Then I thought for I minute and continued with the Stewart theme, "But that doesn't bother me none because in my eyes you're everything."
Just a little Monday morning nonsense for all.

:like

Pip
07-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Lumbar support :( been thinking about doing the DIY but not committed just yet.

webster
07-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Lumbar support :( been thinking about doing the DIY but not committed just yet.

i have found that raising the angle of the seatback improves lumbar support considerably, at least for the cloth/alcantara seats. at first i had to get used to such an upright position. but after a couple days i noticed much better lower back support, plus it's better overall posture...lol. but i know what you mean.

the rear deck rattle has been driving me crazy lately, as during the summer i have to drive windows up/AC on due to rain/high heat and the rattle is so much more pronounced...been contemplating JPs "tear the whole f'n thing apart" DIY but that's so much work...

Johal E32
07-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I recall my history teacher telling our class that germans didn't put cup-holders in cars, because when you are driving you should be driving, not drinking something while you drive..

To be honest, the E46 cup-holders are okay, but when I shift my elbow hits the drinks there.

webster
07-25-2012, 09:06 AM
I recall my history teacher telling our class that germans didn't put cup-holders in cars, because when you are driving you should be driving, not drinking something while you drive..

To be honest, the E46 cup-holders are okay, but when I shift my elbow hits the drinks there.

i totally agree. that's why a lot of us have put in the euro tray.

WOLFN8TR
07-25-2012, 09:22 AM
All my friends call it "A Beouch Car"! Haters!!!
(Sorry Ryan)

The only annoying thing is the cheap rubber window seals and everything seems to be made out of plastic.

Bayerische-Motoren-Werke

nike001
07-25-2012, 01:49 PM
For me it's probably just the lack of an LSD. That, and I think that if BMW added like ~20-25 more hp for the ZHP.

cakM3
07-25-2012, 01:59 PM
The only thing bugging me are the dings and scratches left by considerate drivers who go out of their way to park their junk next to you when enforcing Waldo parking....and that the mileage keeps piling up :)

zhpnsnv
07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Getting tired of the color. Have had a red car since 2002.

Beau B
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Lack of a LSD.. is the biggest one, and the material the cupholders/center section is made out of..

cakM3
07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Getting tired of the color. Have had a red car since 2002.

That's a long time Marc! I suppose I can understand why you feel this way. I guess I'm lucky in that I can change things out from time to time....ZHP or the ///M :)

zhpnsnv
07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Yea agreed. I'd like to have some tiag to smooth out the stable.

cakM3
07-25-2012, 05:53 PM
It helps a lot....especially when that TiAg happens to be an E46 ///M :drool

S85FTW
07-26-2012, 01:09 PM
...that I no longer own it.

BimmerWill
07-26-2012, 01:37 PM
As discussed earlier im 6'3" and had a passenger behind me who was 6'4" and both of us were fairly comfortable...
Dislike the interior trim coming off the pillars with age, vanos issues, throttle response, no lsd, when I unplug something from aux no matter if the car is on or not when the radio is turned back on it automatically switches to a different mode, performance parts prices (not much can be done about that one) and finally the constant ooh you drive a BMW you must be a real stuck up rich prick...when more than likely the Kia they're driving cost more than my car.

All in all I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything..it has its problems but no vehicle is perfect especially at 11 years old..plan to keep it indefinetly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SoarinZHP
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
and finally the constant ooh you drive a BMW you must be a real stuck up rich prick...when more than likely the Kia they're driving cost more than my car.

Oy - that one get's old. I'm afraid to tell people I drive a BMW because you get "the look" from people. Um, believe it or not it really was CHEAPER than the car you're driving....

JupiterBMW
07-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Oy - that one get's old. I'm afraid to tell people I drive a BMW because you get "the look" from people. Um, believe it or not it really was CHEAPER than the car you're driving....

You know, I have to agree here. I was really surprised about this too, I thought it was more of a myth, especially down here where there are soooo many luxury cars.

As for me... The only thing I don't like about my ZHP is that she has been in a minor fender bender. You'd never know and there is no residual damage, but still... I just dislike that. Its ok, she's in better hands now.

Hornung418
07-26-2012, 04:01 PM
People ask what kind of car I drive, I tell them, " A blue sedan."

Horney...via TT.

zhp43867
07-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Hornung, your sig is disturbing. If it's a joke I don't get it. :confused

Hornung418
07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
From sigfest, we were lowering Zell's coupe off the stands and I turned the jack too quick, and Newjack made the comment below. Pretty comical.

Horney...via TT.

Johnmadd
07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
From sigfest, we were lowering Zell's coupe off the stands and I turned the jack too quick, and Newjack made the comment below. Pretty comical.

Horney...via TT.

:rofl

danewilson77
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
:rofl

+1. It's pretty funny, but may be a sensitive issue.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Johnmadd
07-26-2012, 06:32 PM
+1. It's pretty funny, but may be a sensitive issue.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

If this was included in the Sig it would be less offensive :)

JupiterBMW
07-26-2012, 07:00 PM
"I'll take The Rapist for $400 Alex"... "Umm, that's 'Therapist'..." :rofl

Name that tv show!!

zhpnsnv
07-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Anal bum cover!

It's an album cover.

Newjack
07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Penis mightier.

Yes, but does it work?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

zhpnsnv
07-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Febtober!

Johnmadd
07-26-2012, 08:33 PM
"I'll take The Rapist for $400 Alex"... "Umm, that's 'Therapist'..." :rofl

Name that tv show!!

Classic, Will Ferrell playing Sean Connery, one of my faves!.

webster
07-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Classic, Will Ferrell playing Sean Connery, one of my faves!.

will ferrell is the host playing Trebek, fyi :]

still one of my all time favorite skits.

328ioc
07-27-2012, 05:29 AM
On of the best SNL skits of all time.

BTW I win because Jon said name that show and no one actually named it.

As for my ZHP I kinda want more power. I don't really NEED it but I want some hopefully soon enough.

UdubBadger
07-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Same.
Getting the s/c itch real bad

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Asiah119
07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
The only thing that I can really complain about is the not fitting tall people very well. The 6'1"-6'3" crowd might have it right on there being enough room if you adjust the seat properly. Unfortunately, I'm 6'6". When I was driving the car home from buying it my head was banging into the roof as I was driving down I-95 through Baltimore. I've since gotten a pretty good seat adjustment but my knees are very close to the dash. I muse about doing some autocross or track days but I don't think I could fit in the car with a helmet on and have the seat in a position where I'm comfortable driving. This also puts the rear view mirror in a handy place to make a blind spot on curvy roads.

Other than that the windshield wipers are hit or miss on whether they freak out about the light mist that has just hit the windshield or being chill about the heavy rain that I'm driving through.
I have a creak\rattle in the back that isn't really the sub-rattle, and doesn't seem to be the back seats shifting.
An LSD would be wonderful and agree that it should have been included.

To the comment earlier about the lack of power when it has a full load of people. I used to drive a v6 mustang. Going up hill with two people in the car seemed like I was dragging a piano behind me. I don't have that problem in the my ZHP. But it may just be that I'm still just happy that I'm now in a car that can speed and go up hill at the same time.

johnrando
07-30-2012, 07:39 AM
The only thing that I can really complain about is the not fitting tall people very well. The 6'1"-6'3" crowd might have it right on there being enough room if you adjust the seat properly. Unfortunately, I'm 6'6". When I was driving the car home from buying it my head was banging into the roof as I was driving down I-95 through Baltimore. I've since gotten a pretty good seat adjustment but my knees are very close to the dash. I muse about doing some autocross or track days but I don't think I could fit in the car with a helmet on and have the seat in a position where I'm comfortable driving. This also puts the rear view mirror in a handy place to make a blind spot on curvy roads.

Other than that the windshield wipers are hit or miss on whether they freak out about the light mist that has just hit the windshield or being chill about the heavy rain that I'm driving through.
I have a creak\rattle in the back that isn't really the sub-rattle, and doesn't seem to be the back seats shifting.
An LSD would be wonderful and agree that it should have been included.

To the comment earlier about the lack of power when it has a full load of people. I used to drive a v6 mustang. Going up hill with two people in the car seemed like I was dragging a piano behind me. I don't have that problem in the my ZHP. But it may just be that I'm still just happy that I'm now in a car that can speed and go up hill at the same time.

Solution: get a convertible. :shifty

Asiah119
07-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Solution: get a convertible. :shifty

I prefer to blame the state of Maryland for their poor road construction. :)

Hornung418
07-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Well the city of Baltimore is the issue. Not the whole state. My roads are perfect.

Horney...via TT.

Newjack
07-30-2012, 09:39 AM
I prefer to blame the state of Maryland for their poor road construction. :)

I might as well be driving on Mars where I live.

Asiah119
07-30-2012, 09:56 AM
I might as well be driving on Mars where I live.

It can't be worse than all of the construction around Tysons on 495. I was introduced to that mine filed in the dark.

cakM3
07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
What I didn't like about my ZHP is that it came with painted on pin-stripes and the square side mirrors. Both of those issues have been "corrected" and now I am looking at other items that I would like to correct in the future such as a limited slip diff ;) Going to get all my mechanicals sorted out...:thumbsup

UdubBadger
07-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah mirrors are a must

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

WOLFN8TR
08-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Ooh you drive a BMW you must be a real stuck up rich prick.

I would rather be labled that then "You drive a Beouch car".

Oh well.

Muddzhp
08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
No Off button for HVAC (have to lower fan speed with multiple button pressing)
Odd center vent manual temp control dial
No LSD (of course)
HK Speaker quality
Insects getting in my center brake light and dying
Grounding issue on my right brake light without inclusion in the BMW recall

Newjack
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
It can't be worse than all of the construction around Tysons on 495. I was introduced to that mine filed in the dark.

Take a stroll through the grand city of Rockville sometime. I swear the roads have been under construction since it was founded in 1803. 4 inch deep manhole covers that sit three in a row in the middle lane. Uneven road surfaces and the constant need to change routes due to construction up ahead.

As far as the construction around tysons, yeah that sucks. Some of the exit ramps and entrance ramps are dangerous because of how sharply you need to turn into them and no warning about how fast you need to go.

As for my ZHP, I dislike how sporadic my key fob behaves. Sometimes it won't unlock until I'm right up to the car, other times it will unlock from a mile away. I can't figure it out.

SC4ME
08-01-2012, 03:26 PM
LSD is the most disappointing as it requires an expensive DIY to remedy.

My current petpeeve is the Alcantara Steeringwheel. I loved it but it needs replacing now. Ouch.

Newjack
08-01-2012, 03:32 PM
LSD is the most disappointing as it requires an expensive DIY to remedy.

My current petpeeve is the Alcantara Steeringwheel. I loved it but it needs replacing now. Ouch.

Coby!

SC4ME
08-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Yup, I need to put Coby on speed dial!

mr hish
08-02-2012, 03:18 AM
i hate that point between 3000 RPM and 4000RPM where the car feels like its going to take forever to het 5000rpm

cakM3
08-02-2012, 03:37 AM
i hate that point between 3000 RPM and 4000RPM where the car feels like its going to take forever to get 5000rpm

Yeah... BP bursted my bubble, so to speak when he told me that I sitll have this...

Even with my "sharked" ZHP I still have a slight hesitation in this area....going to go for the DISA upgrade soon since I have a spare DISA sitting around in my garage....:)

mr hish
08-06-2012, 03:22 AM
is that a problem caused by the DISA?

gmurphy
01-10-2014, 04:27 AM
I don't like parking it :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

danewilson77
01-10-2014, 04:45 AM
I don't like parking it :).

That's a good one.

zhpnsnv
01-10-2014, 05:27 AM
I can't think of anything that really annoyed me about my ZHP. There were the typical issues that you just accept - the car might have some sort of RPM stumble, the cooling system might listen to the internet and explode at 75k miles, the suspension bushings...blah blah blah blah.

Typically the only things that I really hate about a car either have to do with tech or build quality, and the ZHP was perfect on both counts (once I got rid of the auto wipers hehe).

kayger12
01-10-2014, 05:50 AM
I can't think of anything that really annoyed me about my ZHP. There were the typical issues that you just accept - the car might have some sort of RPM stumble, the cooling system might listen to the internet and explode at 75k miles, the suspension bushings...blah blah blah blah.

Typically the only things that I really hate about a car either have to do with tech or build quality, and the ZHP was perfect on both counts (once I got rid of the auto wipers hehe).

The only thing I hate about your zhp is that you don't own it anymore.

It all started with that damn windshield washer fluid leak...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

webster
01-10-2014, 07:11 AM
i HATE the rear shelf rattle. must be an issue that is more common in coupes v. sedans. but it drives me freaking nuts. someday i will pull apart the whole thing apart but that is such a laborious project...

kayger12
01-10-2014, 07:28 AM
i HATE the rear shelf rattle. must be an issue that is more common in coupes v. sedans. but it drives me freaking nuts. someday i will pull apart the whole thing apart but that is such a laborious project...

There's an easier way.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5057

johnrando
01-10-2014, 07:30 AM
That's a good one.

Plus one.

wsmeyer
01-10-2014, 08:17 AM

The pushing unlock twice to unlock the passenger door is bad enough but at least on mine if you click it a second time too soon it will never unlock and you have to hit lock and start over. I know this could be changed with programming but it's still annoying.

That's about it for me. Not too many for 5 years and 41K miles.

William.

I've long since programmed it to open all doors with one push. That just leaves the skewed steering wheel that really irks me.

stephenkirsh
01-10-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't like the air con controls. I miss knobs :(

QC_ZHP
01-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Did you read the thread on here about climate control recently? I used to hate it, but after reading how to properly use it, its perfect.

brettbimmer
01-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Agreed. Simple and effective.

Lanister
01-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Not keen on all the rubber/plastic trim pieces around the car failing (dry rotting, and cracking) prematurely compared to other vehicles. IMO, these things are expected to fail but not after only 5-6 years of use. Even if the car is not garaged, this shouldn't happen to this extent. My VW Eurovan is 13 years old and it lived outside all its life, yet still not a single failed trim/molding. Same goes for some of the interior pieces like A/B/C pillars. :(

webster
01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
There's an easier way.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5057

i have tried the tennis ball mod, but that didn't have any effect. rattle was just as bad before/after.

the styrofoam cone mod might be more effective, but my concern is that the source point of the rattle is not coming from under sub/speaker area. though, i guess for a 5 min job it might be worth a shot...Michael's you say?

das boots
01-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Is this rattle thing more on a Coupe than on a Sedan thing? Anybody find out the reason? If some cars can withstand more of the rattle than others, even under the sun and age, it could also be the chemical construction of the plastics that was used?

kayger12
01-10-2014, 10:57 AM
i have tried the tennis ball mod, but that didn't have any effect. rattle was just as bad before/after.

the styrofoam cone mod might be more effective, but my concern is that the source point of the rattle is not coming from under sub/speaker area. though, i guess for a 5 min job it might be worth a shot...Michael's you say?

Yep-- Michael's. I bet it'll solve your problem.

Is this rattle thing more on a Coupe than on a Sedan thing? Anybody find out the reason? If some cars can withstand more of the rattle than others, even under the sun and age, it could also be the chemical construction of the plastics that was used?

It definitely seems to be a coupe thing. I think it has more to do with the spacing tolerances than the composition of the plastic, but I'm just guessing.

danewilson77
01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
What rattle? :ducking

Just another reason...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 12:41 PM
I hate how every single problem related to the engine leads to jerking/bucking around 3k rpm. It's a symptom for practically every issue.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

danewilson77
01-10-2014, 12:43 PM
I hate how every single problem related to the engine leads to jerking/bucking around 3k rpm. It's a symptom for practically every issue.

Recommendation: only drive it at 4500 rpm.

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Recommendation: only drive it at 4500 rpm.

:rofl I have seriously increased my rpm range. It sucks most when the engine is cold and I have to keep the revs low.

Vas
01-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Lol cold from the guy that lives in the Sacramento valley

alexandre
01-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Source part # 64116931839 from a dealer in Europe.

http://www.bmwusedspares.co.uk/ekmps/shops/partsrus/images/bmw-3-series-e46-coupe-compact-heater-control-panel-air-con-panel-64116931839-85435-p.jpg

HokieZHP
01-10-2014, 02:37 PM
I don't like the fact that I don't have it anymore

cakM3
01-10-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't like the fact that I don't have it anymore

Sounds like you have some regret of selling your ZHP Chris...

HokieZHP
01-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Eh every now and then. Once I put coils on my car that may change a bit. I just miss the handling of the ZHP

cakM3
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
The ZHP is indeed a very unique car. I'm glad I have one :thumbsup Your 335i is awesome though Chris :)

stephenkirsh
01-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Did you read the thread on here about climate control recently? I used to hate it, but after reading how to properly use it, its perfect.

I read it when it was new. Have not been following it.

If I have to be trained how to use air conditioning properly, then it's not designed correctly. That's like when Phil Schiller said "you're holding your iPhone wrong."!!!

johnrando
01-10-2014, 03:17 PM
True, but it IS a BMW and frankly, they do kinda expect that you have to read the manual or "be trained". The good news is, using that method, once it set it, you almost never have to touch it.

webster
01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
If I have to be trained how to use air conditioning properly, then it's not designed correctly.

i understand your point, but the logic is slightly flawed. some things have an inherent design complexity due to the advanced technology involved.

would you apply the same statement to flying a jumbo jet? or disassembling a computer? obviously those are extreme examples but the concept is the same.

the irony is, the climate control is so advanced that it actually allows you to "set it and forget it" - which is perfect.

Smolck
01-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I hate that mine eats parts. $6000 in parts in 25 months of ownership. And I do all my own stunts (er, work).

danewilson77
01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
I hate that mine eats parts. $6000 in parts in 25 months of ownership. And I do all my own stunts (er, work).

That's a steal!

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Lol cold from the guy that lives in the Sacramento valley

Lol, still... I don't go past 3k until its warm.

gmurphy
01-10-2014, 05:52 PM
i don't like that i'm always worried someone is going to ding or scratch it while parked.

the vanos rattle is annoying. the rear deck rattle even more so. damn rattles.

i hate the feel of degrading alcantara. ready for a new wheel like no other!

Agree! But the ZHP is the best car I have ever owned! The only thing I hate is parking it.

gmurphy
01-10-2014, 06:04 PM

^
Yup

stephenkirsh
01-10-2014, 11:05 PM

Ouch. How many miles when you bought it?

stephenkirsh
01-10-2014, 11:07 PM
i understand your point, but the logic is slightly flawed. some things have an inherent design complexity due to the advanced technology involved.

would you apply the same statement to flying a jumbo jet? or disassembling a computer? obviously those are extreme examples but the concept is the same.

the irony is, the climate control is so advanced that it actually allows you to "set it and forget it" - which is perfect.

Yea I get your point. There's both sides of the coin.

I just drove 80 miles to visit my parents at night in winter. I didn't turn on the heater or defroster or air conditioner or anything once the whole trip. I pretty much only turn it on if it's really hot or really cold.

JKO_ZHP
01-11-2014, 01:30 AM
1) No LSD. It's the last step before you go all-out for an M3 but still not included in the package?
2) Grey leather. Would have preferred black alcantara to hold me down better.
3) (All E46s) Outside rear window lining is melted rubber. Peels/falls off easily.
4) +10 HP isn't much for a performance package IMO.
5) Single-CD, not multi.
6) Weighty power seats.
7) Auto.
8) VANOS/coolant/etc. the common yet unpredictable problems.
9) Original owner opted to have license plate holes drilled in the front bumper.
10) More use of plastic/cheaper parts versus older BMW models.

UdubBadger
01-11-2014, 07:41 PM
It didn't have an S54

Goin' HAM mobile

BRGcoopahS
01-13-2014, 08:41 PM
I've discovered one the other day. Automatic climate control is absolutely stupid. So let me get this straight, tapping the recycle air button turns on auto climate control, but pressing it again won't turn it off? So then I figured changing it from directing air towards the windshield to standard vents would turn it off, no. So I just turned it off altogether and turned it back on. No, still on auto. Then I changed the temp, bingo!

Yea I'll stick to a set temperature thank you very much.

Lanister
01-13-2014, 09:07 PM
There's a good write-up on the climate control here. Not sure if it will resolve your issue though but it's worth a read.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=427235

webster
01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Yep-- Michael's. I bet it'll solve your problem.

It definitely seems to be a coupe thing. I think it has more to do with the spacing tolerances than the composition of the plastic, but I'm just guessing.

so i went to Michael's over the weekend and bought a few ~6" styrofoam cones. pulled the sub and re-examined the space i have to work with. nothing taller than ~3 inches will fit in there. so i tried cutting the cones into smaller sized pieces and wedging them in up underneath the plastic piece that rattles against the frame. but the problem i had was trying to pinpoint exactly where to place them. also, they did not wedge in securely, they would pop right back out.

so i scratched that plan and then got some old t-shirts and tried to fill the cavity with them. i crammed 3 different shirts in there before the space was full. went for a test drive the next day and i think the rattle is actually worse! i guess the extra pressure against the plastic piece is intensifying the rattling effect. no bueno!

next step is to remove the shirts and just leave it be as it originally was, for now. i guess i have to go the JP route at this point. not sure my rattle is the same type of rattle as kayger12's.

mimalmo
01-14-2014, 02:11 PM
I didn't like the missing LSD. That and it needed another 100hp.

Wait, that's an M3...

Maybe I just need to go shopping?

ELCID86
01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
so i went to Michael's over the weekend and bought a few ~6" styrofoam cones. pulled the sub and re-examined the space i have to work with. nothing taller than ~3 inches will fit in there. so i tried cutting the cones into smaller sized pieces and wedging them in up underneath the plastic piece that rattles against the frame. but the problem i had was trying to pinpoint exactly where to place them. also, they did not wedge in securely, they would pop right back out.

so i scratched that plan and then got some old t-shirts and tried to fill the cavity with them. i crammed 3 different shirts in there before the space was full. went for a test drive the next day and i think the rattle is actually worse! i guess the extra pressure against the plastic piece is intensifying the rattling effect. no bueno!

next step is to remove the shirts and just leave it be as it originally was, for now. i guess i have to go the JP route at this point. not sure my rattle is the same type of rattle as kayger12's.
Not exactly sure what the issue is with you folks who paid more to get a car with less (hee hee), but would something like this help>
http://store.secondskinaudio.com/how-to-insulate-your-ride/

http://forum.secondskinaudio.com/index.php?/videos/

webster
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM
i'm sure it would help. would still require pulling out the whole back seat...

WOLFN8TR
01-15-2014, 07:56 AM
I have this annoying rattle which seems to be coming from my front brakes. Checked to see if my anti rattle clips were missing, nope. Bought new ones, no change. It rattles all the time and drives me nuts. When I slightly pull up on the E brake (before the brake light even comes on) it goes away! Weird so it's not coming from the front brakes?? Could something be loose on the E brake system itself? The rattle isn't coming from the rear brakes.

Anyone have a idea of what is causing this?

mimalmo
01-15-2014, 08:17 PM
E-brake cable?

Maybe there's a clip that's missing?

Have a friend stand on the street while you drive slowly by to be sure of the noise's location. Sometimes, sounds reflect off the road or interact with the car's cabin and fool our ears.

WOLFN8TR
01-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Ya that's a good idea.

damonchoy
01-21-2014, 07:16 PM
What I dislike about my car?

1. OPEN DIFF. Hate it and hate how expensive it is to get an LSD.
2. After every drive when I pull into my garage regardless of how bright it is outside or what time of day it is, with the lights on auto it fires up the xenons right before I turn off my car. That can't be good for them! I just wish there were maybe a few seconds of delay before they switch so that I could turn off the car before they come on.
3. Rain sensing wipers work nicely in heavy rain, but don't really do too much when I get misted from other cars.
4. No cupholder for passengers that doesn't get in the way of my shifting (dad's X3 has a cupholder way off the right on the dash for passengers which I much prefer).
5. Scratched cube trim. :(
6. Everyone assumes "mommy and daddy" bought it, just because it's a BMW.
7. FCABS.
8. Cooling system scares me.

Bird-Dog
01-21-2014, 08:04 PM
What don't I like about my ZHP?

I don't like having to explain to my friends why it's different from a typical 330 (not special).

stephenkirsh
01-21-2014, 08:27 PM
I just tell people it's the Performance Package, which is above the Sports Package. Typically nobody asks beyond that, but I'll go into the important details if they do.

illirep
01-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Just say its a 4 door M3 with 500 HP.

Avetiso
01-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Haha, gotta love the cupholders. I just deleted them. They are useless.

gmurphy
01-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Amen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hermes
01-21-2014, 09:54 PM

Whoa now, take a breath. At this rate you're gonna be like me soon enough and delete your armrest as well

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/2269E789-D4AC-4818-BA06-E83823EA3C4B-1514-00000170A3D8088C.jpg

Avetiso
01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Whoa now, take a breath. At this rate you're gonna be like me soon enough and delete your armrest as well

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/2269E789-D4AC-4818-BA06-E83823EA3C4B-1514-00000170A3D8088C.jpg

Too late. Already did.

Hermes
01-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Too late. Already did.

Hahahaha, lets see proof. Here's mine

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/189652DF-8082-49E2-9F14-850B05E78082-1514-0000017072896EA5.jpg

Avetiso
01-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Hahahaha, lets see proof. Here's mine

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/189652DF-8082-49E2-9F14-850B05E78082-1514-0000017072896EA5.jpg
Still don't have my euro tray, but here you go:

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0576_zps0c15c637.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0576_zps0c15c637.jpg.html)

BRGcoopahS
01-21-2014, 10:19 PM
I plan on doing both as well. I have my armrest up permanently now.

STREETFIGHTER50
01-21-2014, 11:24 PM
I don't like how the shifter feels on these cars. I guess I'm so used to the aftermarket Mustang shifters where u can literally bang em into gear with the positive adjustable stops. Super short on the Mustang billet shifters & 3rd gear pretty much finds itself!

STREETFIGHTER50
01-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Here's one of my favorite shifters just to give y'all an idea of what I'm talkin about. If I remember right I paid like $170 for it. This Pro-5.0 design has been the same for over a decade, but is still a huge favorite, especially with the racers. Drag & autocross.
http://pro50.com/products.html

Au1994
01-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Umm...nothing that I don't really like yet, but I've just had it since Saturday. I am a little disappointed in the HK stereo. Just doesn't sound like a 'premium' system. Admittedly though, I haven't even checked to see how the bass, treble etc are even set from the PO.

I'm going to take it to the dealer where I bought my E92 and F30 and have them make sure its up to date on any TSB's etc and I'm sure they will give me a list of other 'stuff' that 'must' be fixed but an indy shop will do some of that.

Vas
01-22-2014, 08:24 AM
I enjoy my armrest delete. Hated how my arm would hit it every time and it would never stay up.

My biggest gripe is no factory lsd. But that can be fixed just like any other gripes.

Torxuvin
01-22-2014, 09:38 AM
I wish it was faster, had an LSD, and looked more modern. That's basically what I'm looking for now. The spirit of the ZHP is proving hard to replicate.

Dave1027
01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Yes, I noticed this right away on my first E46 test drive. I have since got used to it.

I don't have to hit lock again but I do have to keep hitting the unlock till my wife gets the door open. This pisses my wife off more than me.

Here's my list of peeves:

1. 37 degree alarm
2. CCV system. Why dump crap back into the engine's oil?
3. Seat side bolster too big. Makes it hard to get in and out without destroying it.
4. Nav screen nag. Haven't got around changing this yet.

Pip
01-22-2014, 10:25 AM
I kinda like the press twice to unlock the passenger side for safety purposes (at least in my mind), but I do hate having to lock and unlock again if done too soon. I like being able to unlock just the driver side door in not so awesome areas. I could stay away from those areas, but everything at night isn't so safe so I dunno.

johnrando
01-22-2014, 12:38 PM
You can code it for 1 push lock and unlock.

When I explained to people what the ZHP was, sometimes they'd say, "oh, is that between the regular 3 and the M?". So now I just throw that out there in the beginning. "It's the performance package, kinda like between a std 3 series and an M" (even though it's far from an M).

Au1994
01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

When I explained to people what the ZHP was, sometimes they'd say, "oh, is that between the regular 3 and the M?". So now I just throw that out there in the beginning. "It's the performance package, kinda like between a std 3 series and an M" (even though it's far from an M).

Thats funny...Saturday when I pulled in from getting my ZHP my neighbor was outside and asked me about the car. He said "it sounds like an M series". I gave him the same explanation...that it was in between an M and a regular 3, better than a std 3 but not as good as an M. He told me I was having a mid life crisis early which is ok as I've always been an overachiever :))

Avetiso
01-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Failure of engine/tranny mounts. My drivetrain wobbles relative to the car pretty bad.

webster
02-12-2014, 01:38 PM
bumping cause i was polluting the rain sensor thread.

- sunroof failures
- automatic radio volume adjustment
- automatic wipers that don't function properly
- door lock actuator failure

ok...need to go get behind the wheel and plant the gas to the floorboard to get over it.

Lanister
02-12-2014, 02:08 PM

I'd say that it's as close to ///M as you can possibly get without actually getting one.

QC_ZHP
02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/fc/fc3646a02beca4bbf6c05e711f81c0eb354d253149028d9ce0 fca9def3aaf63a.jpg

stephenkirsh
02-12-2014, 02:47 PM
bumping cause i was polluting the rain sensor thread.

- sunroof failures
- automatic radio volume adjustment
- automatic wipers that don't function properly
- door lock actuator failure

ok...need to go get behind the wheel and plant the gas to the floorboard to get over it.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the radio volume speed adjustment.

webster
02-12-2014, 03:19 PM
yeah i learned that today. might as well post here also:

Changing speed sensitive volume control

On cars without NAV

First, don't be driving while doing this procedure.

Turn the radio off then on again. Don't touch any button except the 'm' button - the button you use to tune the radio frequency manually. Press and hold the 'm' button for TEN seconds or until the display changes. IIRC, it shows the serial number of the unit. Normally when you press 'm', the display will reflect that by replacing 'ST' (stereo tuning) with 'm'. When holding the 'm' button for this procedure, the display should not do this - you will continue to see 'ST' for the ten seconds.

Now if the display has changed, you are in a configure mode on the radio. If you press the '+' or '-' button you change modes. The mode you want will display as "GAL (1-6)". This mode allows you to adjust the speed-sensitive volume control. Use the radio preset buttons 1-6 to set the amount of volume change you want at speed. Setting 1 is the smallest change, 6 is the highest.

I use 1 with the windows closed, and 4 when it's a nice day and I drive with the windows open which makes for a lot of ambient noise at speed. The car is so quiet with the windows closed that setting 1 is plenty. On my car the default setting from the factory was 3 and it bugged me too.

Then turn the radio OFF to save the settings. Turn it back on and go for a drive to test it. The other semi-useful test mode will tell you the signal strength of any given station from 0 to 15 (highest). Use the preset buttons to change stations in the mode. This capability is probably used in the automatic tuning functions in the radio.

On cars with NAV

Get in the car, close the door, and turn the ignition to position 1 (accessory. As soon as the monitor comes on, press and hold the RDS button for aprox 12 sec. Using the arrow keys, near the Tone and Select buttons, scroll to heading "GAL" (German acronym for speed depandant volume) The default setting will be displayed. To change, use the number keys 1-6, 1 being less increase, 6 being maximum. Edit: The radio needs to be on when making this change.

cakM3
02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Right now the only thing I don't like about my ZHP is that I don't have rain sensors.....guess this is another mod I will need to do for my ZHP sometime ;)

johnrando
02-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Three words Charlie. Southern. Cali. Fornia. :biggrin

cakM3
02-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Three words Charlie. Southern. Cali. Fornia. :biggrin

I would love to move back to Cali John.....boy would I love to.....

WOLFN8TR
02-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Here's my list of peeves:

1. 37 degree alarm
2. CCV system. Why dump crap back into the engine's oil?
3. Seat side bolster too big. Makes it hard to get in and out without destroying it.

X2...

ELCID86
02-12-2014, 06:18 PM
X2...

+1

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

stephenkirsh
02-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Ok that 37 degree alarm drives me nuts.

My dad said his 330 will revert back to what ever the on board computer was set to previously (time, mpg, etc).

My zhp doesn't do that nor did my 325. I have to cycle back through EVERY morning.

Anybody have any thoughts?

danewilson77
02-13-2014, 05:31 AM
Right now the only thing I don't like about my ZHP is that I don't have rain sensors.....guess this is another mod I will need to do for my ZHP sometime ;)

Rain sensor rocks.

cakM3
02-13-2014, 05:36 AM
Rain sensor rocks.

+1

I have this in my ///M......guess I have another project for this summer ;)

MrMaico
02-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Ok that 37 degree alarm drives me nuts.

My dad said his 330 will revert back to what ever the on board computer was set to previously (time, mpg, etc).

My zhp doesn't do that nor did my 325. I have to cycle back through EVERY morning.

Anybody have any thoughts?

That should be an option in the coding. PA Soft should be able to change that setting.

wsmeyer
02-15-2014, 08:54 AM
With the top down the speed sensing volume works great. With the top up its just annoying and I'm constantly turning it to 1. This might not technically be OFF but even top up I can't tell.

My radio looks like this
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/16/zu4umuma.jpg

And all I do us hold the button under volume with the music symbol on it for 3 seconds and the speed volume comes up, the buttons next to it are + - and if you don't push anything for a couple seconds it reverts to previous mode.

johnrando
02-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Nice, I'll hv to see if mine does that. Normally I have to go through the menus.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

PirateZHP
03-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Bumping this with...

I hate the horn on the E46 (ZHP). It is too quiet. Anyone who has had a Honda from the 90s through the 2000s know what I'm talking about. I LOVED my horn on my Honda. It was VERY loud. When someone did something stupid, they got the horn... and they got it until I thought I could let go of it. Yes, I have been know to hold the horn for over a minute. The ZHP horn just doesn't have enough volume. It isn't loud enough for people to really know they effed up.

End rant.

ELCID86
03-26-2014, 12:57 PM
I hate the new honda beeper. I find the zhp horn ok though. Are yours all working? (Can't remember if we have 2 or 4--I think 2)

JKO_ZHP
03-26-2014, 01:03 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. Had to honk a few times these past few days and it sounds so feeble and pointless. Just a small little beep.....
Even my dad's old 90's Nissan Quest had a louder honk. In fact, it scared the hell out of anyone nearby when it went off.

PirateZHP
03-26-2014, 01:04 PM
I hate the new honda beeper. I find the zhp horn ok though. Are yours all working? (Can't remember if we have 2 or 4--I think 2)

No clue if all mine are working. What I do know is the both my 1994 Accord and my 2006 Accord had the loudest horns. I loved them both! People knew they effed something up!

stephenkirsh
03-26-2014, 01:08 PM
I too make frequent use of the horn when jerks abound.

Maybe I should do what my dad's boss did: put a train horn on his truck. Some good stories there.

Vas
03-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Install some Hella Horns. Had some on my previous car and they were super loud.

gmurphy
03-26-2014, 01:14 PM
I too make frequent use of the horn when jerks abound.

Maybe I should do what my dad's boss did: put a train horn on his truck. Some good stories there.

My step dad had the "Awwoga" horn on his old truck. I agree the horn isn't that loud. The other day a few kids were playing in the road and I did a polite tap of the horn to let them know I was coming... well they didn't do anything so I revved the engine and they proceeded to move haha.

QC_ZHP
03-26-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm content with the old fashion 1 finger salute

Hornung418
03-26-2014, 04:20 PM
We have two horns, and you'll know if one is not working. It sounds like a clown horn. Pretty funny actually.

Bumping this with...

I hate the horn on the E46 (ZHP). It is too quiet. Anyone who has had a Honda from the 90s through the 2000s know what I'm talking about. I LOVED my horn on my Honda. It was VERY loud. When someone did something stupid, they got the horn... and they got it until I thought I could let go of it. Yes, I have been know to hold the horn for over a minute. The ZHP horn just doesn't have enough volume. It isn't loud enough for people to really know they effed up.

End rant.
I suggest upgrading your horns to some PIAA supersport horns or maybe some Hellas. Install is easy enough. Just make sure you upgrade the fuse in the glove box. They're on my list. I never liked the e46 horns.

gmurphy
03-26-2014, 04:25 PM
We have two horns, and you'll know if one is not working. It sounds like a clown horn. Pretty funny actually.

I suggest upgrading your horns to some PIAA supersport horns or maybe some Hellas. Install is easy enough. Just make sure you upgrade the fuse in the glove box. They're on my list. I never liked the e46 horns.

Here is a video of the clown nose horn haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1wUn1aYZeA

Hornung418
03-26-2014, 04:26 PM
:rofl that's perfect!

mbeckel
03-26-2014, 04:27 PM
The CCV

Sent from in the bushes

gammagoblin
03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Ride is ROUGH in NYC. Some of the worst streets I have ever driven on. I'm at 78k on original suspension and I need a refresh, hopefully that fixes it.

Otherwise goddamned trim around the radio won't stay flush even after I replaced all the red tabs and metal pins.

Overall a gem none the less :)

derbo
03-26-2014, 08:55 PM
I dont like that I love driving it so much that I hate getting back into my Prius. :P

PirateZHP
03-27-2014, 04:31 AM
I dont like that I love driving it so much that I hate getting back into my Prius. :P

Derek... :hi

das boots
03-27-2014, 04:42 AM

Environmental Whacko capital of the world.......S.F. :( And it's too bad. I got a lot of friends, ex-GFs and relatives from the Bay Area. :thumbup

Sockethead
03-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Otherwise goddamned trim around the radio won't stay flush even after I replaced all the red tabs and metal pins.

I have that same problem... annoys the shit outta me...

az3579
03-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Derek... :hi

I love you.
I need one of those stickers in my life.

Vas
03-27-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't like how it just wants to take all my monies.

gmurphy
03-27-2014, 03:08 PM
I don't like how it just wants to take all my monies.

Money well spent though! :roundel

PirateZHP
03-27-2014, 04:28 PM
I love you.
I need one of those stickers in my life.

My buddy got them online. I'll ask him what site for you.

derbo
03-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Environmental Whacko capital of the world.......S.F. :( And it's too bad. I got a lot of friends, ex-GFs and relatives from the Bay Area. :thumbup

I just got it for the gas mileage. :) All that gas saved, can go awasting in the ZHP :D

BRGcoopahS
03-29-2014, 08:33 PM
I don't like how when I clean the interior (having a vert makes interior cleaning so much easier :) ) and leave the doors open, the car beeps non stop.

Like clarkson said.... I know the door is open; I opened it!

Avetiso
03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
I don't like how when I clean the interior (having a vert makes interior cleaning so much easier :) ) and leave the doors open, the car beeps non stop.

Like clarkson said.... I know the door is open; I opened it!
I'm assuming you are doing this to listen to music; you can just turn the stereo on via the power button. You won't have this issue if you do it that way.

BRGcoopahS
03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
I'm assuming you are doing this to listen to music; you can just turn the stereo on via the power button. You won't have this issue if you do it that way.

Nah. I have the doors open and top down to clean the interior for easy access. I know I can put the stereo on but I don't because I figure putting the top down via remote kills the battery enough.

Avetiso
03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Nah. I have the doors open and top down to clean the interior for easy access. I know I can put the stereo on but I don't because I figure putting the top down via remote kills the battery enough.

Oh okay. Must be a vert thing.

ELCID86
03-30-2014, 05:42 AM
I'm sure you can have that beep coded off.

johnrando
03-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Oh okay. Must be a vert thing.

Yup, it is. Top down via the remote (therefore no engine) does seem to strain the battery.

I think there is a certain position for the key where it will stop beeping after a while.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

johnrando
04-14-2014, 06:53 AM
I was thinking about my mods and I realized something I don't like about the ZHP (but I also love about the ZHP). It's TOO refined. It's perfect.... so I "dirty'd" mine up. More growl to the engine, a loud exhaust, a lowered, bumpier ride, tinted windows.... just a little more "dirty" than in it's stock form. That's how I like mine. :biggrin