PDA

View Full Version : Airbag removal

webster
11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm having a hard time getting the airbag off. I can't seem to find the springs for the airbags with the long skinny screwdriver. Any tips?

zj96sc
11-10-2011, 02:48 PM
the picture at the top of the other thread you posted in was most helpful for me. try to keep it on that angle and parallel to the plane of the wheel. you'll feel it. it is one of those things that makes a lot more sense once you see it apart, but that doesn't help you much now i know.

wsmeyer
11-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Here's a closeup of what you're trying to accomplish:

The tip of the screwdriver needs to be perpendicular to the spring arm and I'm using it to push it inwards and release the airbag.

William.

webster
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the pic.

Spent $55 on tools today so im determined to diy, really dont want to shell out another $200 for a shop to do this...sigh

danewilson77
11-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Here's a closeup of what you're trying to accomplish:

The tip of the screwdriver needs to be perpendicular to the spring arm and I'm using it to push it inwards and release the airbag.

William.

You're talking about putting it in that lil hole, correct?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

wsmeyer
11-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Here's two more, back of wheel showing the screwdriver going through the little slit in the back of the wheel:

And another from the front. Notice the slot in the wheel itself that will guide the screwdriver in at the correct angle

zj96sc
11-10-2011, 03:50 PM
probably worth noting that this will work way better with a flat tip held horizontally or a large torx...a flat tip held vertically or smaller diameter phillips will probably keep you trying for a while.

danewilson77
11-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Here's two more, back of wheel showing the screwdriver going through the little slit in the back of the wheel:

And another from the front. Notice the slot in the wheel itself that will guide the screwdriver in at the correct angle

Second pic is perfect. Are these in our steering wheel diy?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
ugh

still no luck. calling it quits for the night due to darkness and frustration. better not to force it and break something. will get up early tomorrow and start fresh.

since i'm done for the day, might as well ask a couple questions.

so i just got my coby wheel, which is beautiful btw. but i noticed it's not "plug and play" like a new M3 or ZHP wheel. so how hard is it going to be to transfer all the electronic cables and connectors and what not? all of the DIYs i've read are with plug and play wheels where the plastic cover piece and buttons do not have to be transferred from one wheel or another. i'm kinda worried i'm going to get the wheel off and not know what the hell to do from that point and be screwed.

pics of the coby wheel. definitely the most intimidating diy i've undertaken. i'm a little scared at this point.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4175/dscn0258na.jpg

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7691/dscn0259ju.jpg

god i hope i can do this.

danewilson77
11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
YOU'LL GET IT WEBBY!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zj96sc
11-10-2011, 04:23 PM
it's really easy, just a matter of removing the old and putting it in the new. once you get the existing one apart, take some good pictures to keep as reference for transferring the parts over to the new one.

this video gives you a good idea of what you're trying to accomplish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSYCOo_revw

the connectors on the airbag itself are tricky the first time around, the "shells" around the back of the connector pop up (away from back of the airbag, towards the front of the car if the airbag were still installed in the wheel). once those shells are popped up (i use a micro flat tip) the connector just releases from the airbag. obviously don't want to break these.

and make sure you have your battery disco'ed....i'm sure you did but just for safety's sake i figured i'd mention it.

webster
11-10-2011, 04:31 PM
thanks for the advice. actually now that i think about it a medium size torx might be the way to go. flat head but large surface area. might be good for moving a skinny spring pin.

and yes, i disconnected the battery.

webster
11-11-2011, 09:48 AM
finally got it! took me another 20 mins or so of poking around but i finally got the airbag off. after that, the job was easy. the center lug nut took a bit of elbow grease to get off, but overall it wasn't bad at all after the airbag. i'll post up some pics in the wheel wrap thread here in just a few.