PDA

View Full Version : Some strange things happening to my car recently..

GreenFrog
11-20-2011, 09:26 AM
1. After driving my car and shutting the car off, sometimes (maybe once out of every 8 times) the yellow oil light will come on and stay there for about 30 seconds and disappear. It won't come back on if I crank it back on immediately afterwards. It also won't come back on after another cold start. It's only happened to me three times or so over the course of three weeks.

2. Putting the gear into 1st when the car is cold is difficult! As I push the shifter into 1st, it feels like it's hitting a lot of resistance, as if it's pushing through cold, solidified butter with marbles in it (aka, it's smooth for the most part, but it'll feel like it's hitting solid obstacles on the way). But once the car is all warmed up, shifting into 1st is fine.

3. As I'm coming to a stop in 1st or 2nd gear, I start to hear a rattling sound coming from the car. It sounds like a very faint shredding of metal.

No lights whatsoever, car drives absolutely fine.

Mtnman
11-20-2011, 09:36 AM
The yellow oil light is the "slightly low" indicator. It comes on after u turn the car off. Check oil. If the oil is full I believe you may have a bad oil separator. someone more knowledgeable than, me will chime in on that. But usually yellow oil light after shutoff is 1/2 qt low I think.

When was ur last tranny fluid change?

As for the rattle.....who knows. Could be something slightly loose and u are hitting the resonance frequency during the 1/2 gear slow down.

Hope that helps some....

D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

GreenFrog
11-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Just got back from running some errands.. update to the sound. So it's not really the sound of shredding metal.. it's a very high-pitched squeal.. almost like a baby alien fetus is dying or something lol. Sometimes it'll make the sound after having just put the car in neutral from slowing down to a stop.

Any thoughts?

danewilson77
11-20-2011, 12:25 PM
When was your last tranny fluid change as David asked, above?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

GreenFrog
11-20-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure. I purchased the car used from a BMW dealership this past July and I definitely have not changed it myself in the past four months. For all I know, it's never been changed.

danewilson77
11-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure. I purchased the car used from a BMW dealership this past July and I definitely have not changed it myself in the past four months. For all I know, it's never been changed.

Mmmm....Srsly.....start there.

And do your diff fluid.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

MafiaAmor
11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
As for the oil light I wouldn't worry.....my oil lamp comes on every start up for 30 seconds and turns off....my oil is perfect...my sensor is just out a 100 dollar fix or you can ignore it and just watch your oil....

But yes...my car was giving little pumps on shifts(Automatic) and I changed the tranny fluid, shifts like a charm now.

GreenFrog
11-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Changed my oil recently and the oil light has disappeared.

New update on the squealing sound:

It still squeals when I'm coming to a stop. I'm assuming this is because the load is too high for the gears I'm in and it starts to appear just as the engine starts to buckle before it stalls.

I noticed, however, that if I'm in neutral and I rev the car slightly (no more 1.2K rpm, a light tap on the gas), the squealing sound comes after the exhaust subsides. Tap gas --> exhaust/engine noise --> exhaust/engine noise subsides and disappears --> squealing sound comes up for a second or two, even three sometimes, and disappears.

What in the world is this?

echo46
11-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Check your serpentine belt and AC belt. Check for wear and cracking. Also, and this could be your culprit, check the pulleys. Take the belts off and spin the pulleys, if they sound like an old skateboard wheel then your pulleys are shot. These should be changed at least every 50,000 miles. Easy DIY and good preventive maintenance as you don't need one of these to fail and destroy a number of things, like your cooling system.

das boots
11-29-2011, 06:53 AM
What you should have done and do after purchase was to do a complete fluid replacement (Diff, trans, oil, coolant, brake & steering). Replace all belts, pulleys, pump & thermostat, coolant hoses. Start with a clean sheet. Especially if you don't have a complete mechanical history.

static667
11-29-2011, 08:43 AM
What you should have done and do after purchase was to do a complete fluid replacement (Diff, trans, oil, coolant, brake & steering). Replace all belts, pulleys, pump & thermostat, coolant hoses. Start with a clean sheet. Especially if you don't have a complete mechanical history.

^^^this.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.