PDA

View Full Version : Just About to hit 50k

xtremecro
11-20-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm 10 miles away from 50k. What should I do for Maintence? Or just wait to 60k? I already did belts, all pulleys lower Intske boot, water pump to prevent failure and oil filter housing gasket

xtremecro
11-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh and control arm bushing and pads in last 2k. Prev owner did valve cover gasket at 32k

aurelius
11-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Trans & diff oils?

Coolant & brake fluid flushes (both based on time, not miles).

If you don't have any HVAC issues, sounds like you're good. HVAC issues being erratic heating and or erratic fan. Both easily addressed.

danewilson77
11-20-2011, 06:59 PM
I think if you swap out your ps fluid....using TB method it may prolong life of the pump as well.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
11-20-2011, 08:33 PM
fuel filter

xtremecro
11-21-2011, 05:13 AM
coolant done with waterpump, and i have an automatic. i hear mixed reviews about tranny fluid change.. many say leave it for life time because the transmission gets "used" to the thick oil however others say change it because if something fails with new fluid it will be easier to service. what do you guys think?

danewilson77
11-21-2011, 05:23 AM
That poses an interesting question at 50k.

I think I would change it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
11-21-2011, 06:51 AM
That poses an interesting question at 50k.

I think I would change it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Agreed.

aurelius
11-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Be sure to use the EXACT trans oil specified for your autobox. My mechanic has a big poster chart for that. I'll shoot a pic when I'm there next.

billschusteriv
11-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Be sure to use the EXACT trans oil specified for your autobox. My mechanic has a big poster chart for that. I'll shoot a pic when I'm there next.

This.

I haven't done this to mine, but I've heard rumors of "voodoo" during trans oil changes. Like heating the trans fluid to a certain temp range before adding it to the pan, then you've gotta keep the pan level as you raise it back up because you were supposed to fill it to the brim and you don't want to give yourself a warm oil bath.

BlackBerry 9300. Tapatalk.

xtremecro
11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
what ever happend to the good old flush and fill!?

Whitexi
11-22-2011, 06:14 AM
I think your caught up for now. Maybe the cabin filter, air filter.if you end up bringing the car in somewhere for a trans service its around $500-$600.

Mtnman
11-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Change it. From one auto to another. I changed mine for the first time at 120,000 miles. Glad i did, but i chewed my nails to the quick worrying about it. Had an indie shop do it......and yes, he heated the fluid, etc etc....$400. Yeah, a lot, right? but first time I would pay to have it done, and watch....then you can do it yourself from then on.

webster
11-22-2011, 08:36 AM
i was just updating my service log and figured since i had it open i'd post what maintenance i've done since i bought the car (bought @ 51k miles, currently just over 53k)

- Oil Change
- Brake System Flush, Fill & Bleed x2 (clutch felt spongy after first time, had it done again at a different place)
- Transmission Fluid
- Differential Fluid
- Cabin & Air Filter
- Fuel Filter
- Battery Replaced (Duralast Gold 94R)
- Four New Tires (Hankook V12 Ventus Evo)

hope this helps :)

VCG, Plugs, Coils in the near future

VANOS and Cooling System in the mid-future

Washburn
11-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Complete cooling system overhaul.
That's the 1st thing i am going to do when mine hits 60k.

edlvrt
11-22-2011, 07:23 PM
VCG, Plugs, Coils in the near future

VANOS and Cooling System in the mid-future

I have always been under the impression that the coils don't need to be changed unless they are defective. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

If your VCG can wait, do it when you do your VANOS and save some wrenching.

webster
11-22-2011, 08:08 PM
bavauto sells "high performance" coils which they claim improve HP and MPG...for a couple hundred bucks i figure what the heck.

Hermes
11-22-2011, 11:42 PM
bavauto sells "high performance" coils which they claim improve HP and MPG...for a couple hundred bucks i figure what the heck.

unless you're running a FI setup there isn't really a benefit to having the better coils, you likely won't even see the difference. Better coils should be paired with high temp plugs, the reason why they are used on turbo/super cars whose engines run hotter. I would either think of going that direction or maybe sell them to somebody who is putting FI on their car