PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster went nuts at startup

SoarinZHP
12-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Hello Everyone - First, I thought I remember seeing something about this earlier this year and read through the entire troubleshooting thread with no luck.. =<

I had the strangest thing happen... I got in my car tonight and started it. Turned on the lights (xenon) and tried to back out of the garage. The instrument cluster lights started doing all kinds of strange things. The xenons started flickering. The engine was running rough. There were all kinds of 'switching' type sounds like relays going bonkers. I stopped it, turned off the lights, took the key out and restarted. It did it again.

Then, I started it a third time and everything was fine. Is this the voltage regulator issue?

Last weekend I changed my VCG. I did disconnect the negative power post (in the little plastic box) to change the routing of the heavier battery wire and the harness with the ignition wires....

Thoughts?

Johnmadd
12-03-2011, 06:30 PM
I would definitely double check the wires you were recently working with. I would turn the car on and move said wires to see if problem happens or you can make it stop by moving then you have it narrowed down.

kayger12
12-03-2011, 06:45 PM
How old is your battery?

Could be a low voltage issue.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Johnmadd
12-03-2011, 07:09 PM
How old is your battery?

Tis the season.

danewilson77
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
How old is your battery?

+1

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

danewilson77
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Tis the season.

Expect CCV issues as well.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
12-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Expect CCV issues as well.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Coolant lights also?

danewilson77
12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Coolant lights also?

Perhaps.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

SoarinZHP
12-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I think we can trace it to the Dice Silverline DUO iPod adapter. Piece of shit stopped working and won't charge the phone. Now that it appears to be fried, everything is fine. I read so many different reviews - turns out the bad ones are true.

Now the car's back to normal...