PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have already replaced your VCG?

das boots
12-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Our ZHPs are coming up to age. And I'm wondering how many of you guys & gals have already done a gasket replacement? Did you replace due to leak(s) or preventive maintenace? And year of ZHP and mileage when replaced.

Wondering if I should do a PM or wait for leaks before I do a VCG.....

SoarinZHP
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
My car is a 2005 and has 76,xxx miles on it and I did it last weekend. Was leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold when parked on an incline with the front up. Upon pulling the valve cover, the entire gasket was brittle. It cracked as I removed it.

kayger12
12-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Replaced at 50k due to leak.

My 325i (2003) had the vcg replaced due to leaking at 50k and again at 100k.

I personally would leave it until it causes a problem.

I'd also plan on doing the vanos while you're in there when you finally do need to replace the vcg.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

nike001
12-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Mine was done last november at like 103k maybe.

VERY easy DIY. Just time consuming... I can probably do it in under two hours now since I've done it a few times on mine

edlvrt
12-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm at 75k and it doesn't leak yet. I will change it if it starts to leak or when my VANOS goes bad. I think that preventive maintenance for a gasket that will eventually fail (but doesn't leave you stranded) is excessive. If you do it PM, you are essentially throwing away a part that still has value and function. Might as well get as much use as possible out of the old one before buying a new one.

llll1l1ll
12-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Mine is leaking now at 83K. It'll be the first time that it's been replaced (to my knowledge). I'm also doing the VANOS. I'm having it done at a shop since it'll be discounted. I would do it myself, but I don't have a good space to do it in (crowded parking lot in downtown city area is not good), I'd probably be short one or two tools despite my extensive collection, it would end up taking twice as long as I had planned, and I would probably break something. I also sourced all the parts I would use and taking it to a shop with the discount is only 70 bucks more. To me, that's worth it.

danewilson77
12-05-2011, 04:44 AM
143k miles......not replaced.

kayger12
12-05-2011, 05:24 AM
143k miles......not replaced.

Are you sure it's original? Can't imagine one going that long.

echo46
12-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Mine started leaking at 68,000, so I had to change it.

danewilson77
12-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Are you sure it's original? Can't imagine one going that long.

My car is a cream puff. It had the upgraded VCG put in it, on the assembly line.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
12-05-2011, 06:10 AM
I'm at 75k and it doesn't leak yet. I will change it if it starts to leak or when my VANOS goes bad. I think that preventive maintenance for a gasket that will eventually fail (but doesn't leave you stranded) is excessive. If you do it PM, you are essentially throwing away a part that still has value and function. Might as well get as much use as possible out of the old one before buying a new one.

No leaks yet...knock on wood. But you are right. Wait until it leaks before doing the VCG. Now at 109K mi. The problem also, do not know if a VCG was done by POs since I'm the 3rd owner. And I do not have any history. I also will not touch the VANOS until it goes bad. Personally, I still wouldn't know if and when the Vanos goes.....not knowing any tell-tale signs....again, knock on wood.

nike001
12-05-2011, 06:33 AM
No leaks yet...knock on wood. But you are right. Wait until it leaks before doing the VCG. Now at 109K mi. The problem also, do not know if a VCG was done by POs since I'm the 3rd owner. And I do not have any history. I also will not touch the VANOS until it goes bad. Personally, I still wouldn't know if and when the Vanos goes.....not knowing any tell-tale signs....again, knock on wood.

You don't have any rattle at ~2k rpm?

kayger12
12-05-2011, 06:41 AM
My car is a cream puff. It had the upgraded VCG put in it, on the assembly line.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

:rofl

das boots
12-05-2011, 07:23 AM
You don't have any rattle at ~2k rpm?

Negative. I have an E39 530i and the E46 330i. No rattles. Is that how I'll know if VANOS is going? How distinctive is the rattle? As in loud? Does it matter that I change oil every 6K mi?

webster
12-05-2011, 07:40 AM
i notice the ~2k RPM rattle a lot more when i'm in a tunnel or on a freeway right next to a concrete barrier. reverberates off the walls.

i plan on doing the VCG, plugs and coils soon. VANOS will wait til spring and i plan on paying a shop to do it. too much potential to go wrong for a novice like myself.

Burrogs
12-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Replaced VCG due to leak, did the Dr. Vanos, and Plugs at 75K. No rattles before or after

johnrando
12-05-2011, 08:23 AM
50K, no VCG or VANOS done yet. As far as knowing when Vanos is bad, I'm not sure there is a tell tale sign. The rattle is one thing, but from what I understand it doesn't have to rattle to have gone bad. The real sign is lower power at low RPM. Someone can correct me if necessary. But from my understanding, they will go bad, period, due to the design. Finally, a while ago, I was wondering about the rattle sound as well, look for videos on youtube, as there are some. It's surprisingly loud, so you'd know it if you had it.

llll1l1ll
12-05-2011, 08:25 AM
FWIW, mine is starting to have a rattle at about 2K. I can hear it when I rev. It's not super noticeable from the cabin, but you can hear it rattle on the outside.

kayger12
12-05-2011, 08:31 AM
My rattle SUUUUUUCCCKKKKKKSSSS!! Sounds like a frieken diesel.

Can't wait to put those rings in next spring.

LivesNearCostco
12-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Replaced my VCG around 140,000 miles. Was leaking since at least 130,000. Probably original as it was very hard like plastic and broke into several pieces upon removal. Did VANOS seals around 145,000 miles and reused the VCG from 10,000 miles earlier. Didn't have any symptoms or codes, but it improved low-end torque (<3,000 RPM) a little. Never had VANOS rattle and didn't have impact gun or vise (nowhere to mount vise) so didn't do the anti-rattle kit. Definitely recommend doing VCG at same time as VANOS if going to do both.

Hornung418
12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
106k and 12.5 years.
Burning oil on the exhaust manifolds, leaking at the corners, lack of power due to the VANOS seals.
Upon removal I discovered a very brittle VCG and it came out in a million difficult little pieces.

MrMaico
12-05-2011, 12:33 PM
VCG and Vanos around 76,000. No leak and no rattle but I was hoping the Vanos seals would cure the 2800 to 3000 rpm miss. No change after that I could feel. The miss was cured with the software update. VCG was nice and soft yet though so it's possible the OP may have done it and maybe even the Vanos too.