PDA

View Full Version : Trunk release on trunk does not engage..

Hochspannung
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I searched for a bit about a problem I'm having but I had trouble wording it to find what I'm looking for.

My trunk release on the trunk itself does not engage. The release inside the car does work as does the remote release on the key. I've also tried turning the lock with the key to the horizontal position and then trying the trunk release. no dice. I returned it to the vertical position and still no dice.
Can anyone shed some light on my situation?

Thanks,
Alex

johnrando
12-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Don't have any idea, check a fuse maybe? Not likely as it works remotely. How about the actual locking mechanism/lock itself. Any way to check that it's tightened/working?

Hochspannung
12-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I'll have a look around tomorrow in the daylight. It will pop open manually as well if I insert the key in the lock and turn. It's just the button where the license plate lights are that does not work. Sounds like its just that button.

Oli77
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Doesn't that have to do with the position of the glove compartment lock?

I remember having a similar problem. I had left the glove compartment opened with the lock in the horizontal position (I think). In this position, the trunk can't be opened from the outside. I you keep the glove compartment lock in the vertical position, you can open the trunk from outside.

Try to see if this is it. I think it has to do with valet parking.

Hochspannung
12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Ok, I tried that. Horizontal on the glove box is 'unlock' and vertical is 'lock'. Mine was already unlocked (horizontal) and the trunk would not release. I tried the glove box in the lock position (vertical) and this did not work either. I think when the glove box is in the lock position, the only thing that can open the trunk or glove box is your key. Valet key only works for door lock and ignition.

Hochspannung
12-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Soooo, the rain finally let up. I decided to take the trunk handle off and inspect and clean any electrical contacts to possibly fix my problem. Before I started to unscrew the handle I tried the button once more and low and behold the trunk popped open... I love when things fix themselves lol

telijah
12-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I'd still inspect maybe the seals on it. If it was only failing when it was raining, maybe moisture is getting to it?

Hochspannung
12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
it wasn't raining when it was inoperable. but yea that's a good idea anyway

johnrando
12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Good news.

bimmergofast
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Did you ever figure out what was causing this? Mine has started doing it intermittently, same symptoms.