PDA

View Full Version : Help! I've got electrical problems. Faulty instrument cluster.

quikryptonite
12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
So, I've read through the Mechanical/Troubleshooting pages and found some similar complaints, but nothing quite like what I've got going on in my ZHP right now.

I went out at lunch to run some errands and when I got back to my car after leaving the last store, my lights didn't flash when I hit the unlock button on my fob. I didn't really think about it until I got in my car and discovered some other fun things going on.

When I shifted into reverse, the passenger side mirror didn't drop, and since I have be advised about the mirror adjustor selector needing to be in the driver's side position that is the first thing I checked. It should have been working fine. Nothing.

The next issue is my blinker indicators on the instrument cluster aren't lighting up. When that happens (or one starts blinking really fast) in my E30 it means the bulb is burned out. I got out and checked, all six turn indicators were lighting up. The brake lights looked good, fogs good, etc... I peformed the instrument panel test and the blinker lights came on during that.

The DICE Ipod connection stopped working, saying that there is NO DISC. The radio still works fine.

To boot, the lights on the instrument cluster will not turn off. When I lock the car with the fob or with the key itself, the interior lights dim, but the cluster stays lit up.

What kind of problems am I looking at? Could this be related to the tail light recall I need to get fixed?

UPDATE: For now I am going to start with this:
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=261390

Don't know where it'll take me, but it's a start. I'd love to hear any ideas you guys/gals have.

kayger12
12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
I'd start with the battery.

Use the hidden obc function to get a look at your voltage both when the car is off and when it's running.

Low voltage can cause all kinds of funky electrical gremlin issues.

quikryptonite
12-19-2011, 03:06 PM
I'd start with the battery.

Use the hidden obc function to get a look at your voltage both when the car is off and when it's running.

Low voltage can cause all kinds of funky electrical gremlin issues.

Thanks, I'll go check that out. I just finished e-mailing the guy I bought it from to inquire about the purchase/install date of the current battery that is in my car now.

kayger12
12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Ok. Let us know how you make out.

quikryptonite
12-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Ok, I just went to check the voltage on my car. (BTW The four guages were still lit and no flash of blinkers when I unlocked the car) The battery was registering 12.1 with the key in position #2. When I started the engine, it shot up to 14.0 and bounced around between 14.0 - 14.2 while I was turning various accessories on and off.

According to this thread (POST #28) http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?834-Battery-for-BMW-E46 it sounds like my battery might be dying. With the cold weather I am thinking I might want to go to the auto parts store tonight and get a new one. Does that sound about right and see if it takes care of the mysterious actions taking place?

SoarinZHP
12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm curious if your dice still works? My car freaked out similar to what you're describing about 2.5 months after I installed the dice. After two freaks out the car worked fine and the dice was shot. That's when I ripped it out. Everything's been working fine ever since...

az3579
12-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I would definitely replace that battery. How old is it? Could just be the age of the thing as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S with Tapatalk

quikryptonite
12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I got a new battery in (Duralast Gold 94R). The vent hole wasn't the right size so I had to buy a pack of assorted vacuum connectors and I ended up using the 3/16 inch, but I think I may have to use some sealant to be sure it fits properly. The instrument panel is no longer staying lit, but my stereo has been deactivated and my power windows aren't working. So, unfortunately, I think I'll have to have the dealer look into it when I take it in for the tail light recall. My lights still aren't flashing when I lock/unlock my car with the fob. Boo.

llll1l1ll
12-20-2011, 04:24 AM
Maybe the GSM/DSM? It's the thing that regulates a lot of stuff like the central locking and the like. I can't remember the acronym.

zj96sc
12-20-2011, 05:07 AM
K bus.

the turn signal indicators in the cluster not working while the turn signals themselves still work is a dead giveaway. my 1st zhp had this exact problem.

The K-bus is a communication bus that most of the boxes in the car use to communicate. it is normally 12 volts and pulled low (~8v) to send signals. if one box on the bus is shorted out, it will pull the whole bus low and nothing can communicate.

culprits are usually ipod connectors. remove it and see if your problems go away. if that doesn't fix it, you'll have to fish the K-bus comb connector out, check the voltage to see if it is indeed pulled low, and if so pull items one by one off the bus and see where the problem lies.

llll1l1ll
12-20-2011, 06:33 AM
That sounds not fun.

zj96sc
12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
sounds intimidating but if you have even general DIY capability and a multimeter it is doable and ultimately pretty straightforward. if it gets to that point i will help you through it. i just did this about 6 weeks ago.

quikryptonite
12-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm curious if your dice still works? My car freaked out similar to what you're describing about 2.5 months after I installed the dice. After two freaks out the car worked fine and the dice was shot. That's when I ripped it out. Everything's been working fine ever since...

I saw your thread. I've been wondering if that's the main cuplrit in my situation. I tried to disconnect the DICE but it is underneath the box and I can't reach it without tearing apart the trunk wall lining. If I get it out and then find it is the problem, I've got to find a new iPod integration system to use. I need my iPod in my car! ;)

@zj96sc - I looked at this website: http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_K-Bus.htm and it seems to describe pretty dang accurately what is going on in my car. Is it pretty easy to get the trunk wall lining off? I've got an appointment at the dealer to get my tail light recall done on Thursday and thought I'd have them take a look as well.

DirtyPillows
12-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Wait our lightss flash when we lock or unlock the cars? Mine have never done that since day 1.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hochspannung
12-20-2011, 10:55 AM
^^^ Some don't flash when locking. It has to be coded in. But most cars already do have the 'flash lights when locking" code done

Johnmadd
12-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I saw your thread. I've been wondering if that's the main cuplrit in my situation. I tried to disconnect the DICE but it is underneath the box and I can't reach it without tearing apart the trunk wall lining. If I get it out and then find it is the problem, I've got to find a new iPod integration system to use. I need my iPod in my car! ;)

@zj96sc - I looked at this website: http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_K-Bus.htm and it seems to describe pretty dang accurately what is going on in my car. Is it pretty easy to get the trunk wall lining off? I've got an appointment at the dealer to get my tail light recall done on Thursday and thought I'd have them take a look as well.

The trunk lining is easy, open your trunk and look above the battery area at the top. You just pull at it, it pretty easy after you look at it.

DirtyPillows
12-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Reading this thread got me thinking bout my problem. Sometimes I will get in the car and all the gph, mph and miles driven would reset itself. Also my passenger side mirror would go out of whack and move to a extreme position, be it up down left or right. That about it for me. The only electrical job done on my car wwould be the lights. I switch to some HID or something, friend did it, and he installed it with this converter. Like before the plug that hook up directly to the light is now hook up to this small box. He also said becaause its hooks to the smaall box first my car will sometimes say that my light is out which is not the case.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

danewilson77
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
The trunk lining is easy, open your trunk and look above the battery area at the top. You just pull at it, it pretty easy after you look at it.

Only after removing the plastic pop rivets.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

telijah
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Only after removing the plastic pop rivets.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Those plastic rivets are the ONLY reason to buy one of those trim removal kits. I've never had any problems with clips and such when removing pieces, but damn it those trunk lining ones are a PITA to remove.

danewilson77
12-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Those plastic rivets are the ONLY reason to buy one of those trim removal kits. I've never had any problems with clips and such when removing pieces, but damn it those trunk lining ones are a PITA to remove.

Lol. I use a pair of beveled wire cutters. Close them just enough, around the rivet, then pivot them out.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zj96sc
12-20-2011, 05:27 PM
yeah, do this DICE business yourself. the dealer will rip you a new one diagnosing K-Bus problems. The lining is fiddly but a Very doable DIY. pull it out, find your dice, unplug, and test drive.

webster
12-21-2011, 08:04 AM
when i was doing the shark injector DME update, i had to fiddle with the battery a bunch, and i just removed the trunk rivets altogether, i got so frustrated constantly dealing with them. lol

telijah
12-21-2011, 08:33 AM
You had to remove the trunk lining to get to your battery? Mine is just covered by the little plastic tray. Then again, I am not sure if something else is there with cars that have more options installed like nav of cd changers...

zj96sc
12-23-2011, 01:54 PM
nav and cd changers go on the driver's side. the battery lid does not require removal of the trunk lining rivets to access, webster may have been referring to the rivets that hold the battery lid down.

apridge
12-29-2011, 06:16 PM
How did your appointment with the dealer go today? Were they able to further diagnose your issue? I'd be interested in knowing if it was your DICE iPod input- a friend of mine is getting ready to install one in his car that he got for Christmas... I'm thinking maybe he should reconsider?

iZHP
12-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I've noticed just doing a battery reset solves most problems. My radio would act up sometimes and the mirror wouldn't go down in reverse. Just unplug - battery terminal for a few minutes and reconnect...and reset your clock.

SoarinZHP
12-29-2011, 07:33 PM
The dice is a strange animal. There are a few mafiosos who have had great luck with them. I had it in my car for almost three months. For me it was an absolute disaster. You could go with something simple like an AUX input. There are a few more complex options. Isimple, Dension, usaspec, intravee and dice. Some of them work with nav units and others don't. I just installed the intravee setup and so far I am very happy. You might check the ICE section of the forum.

quikryptonite
01-03-2012, 11:11 AM
So, after much worrying and strife, I had the DICE unplugged from the car while it was in the shop for the tail light recall and all is well. The tech was a little confused at first. Then he called and mentioned that as soon as they had unplugged the DICE unit, everything returned to normal. I am planning on trashing it (DICE unit). Currently, I am looking into the possibility of getting a SPEC USA iPod integration system, but most definitely open to whatever looks like it will be the best long term solution.

One thing I am concerned about though, is the fact that my audio console became disabled after I installed a new battery. Am I going to have to go to the dealer again in five years if my battery conks out to get the stereo unlocked?

danewilson77
01-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Imho, you shouldn't have to worry about unlocking your head unit. Never have heard of that on E46.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

quikryptonite
01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I wonder if that was related to the stupid DICE unit as well...

:dunno

zj96sc
01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
as soon as they had unplugged the DICE unit, everything returned to normal

Woohoo! Another douchebag DICE box screwing with the K-bus. Glad you got this sorted.

The stereo should not need to be unlocked. it determines that it is where it "belongs" by using the k-bus on the first power-up. if there are k-bus problems it will show as disabled. you *should* be good to go.

As far as solutions, I rock an OEM aux audio input. I don't do apple products so "integration" isn't really a concern for me in the first place. All BMW parts, cheap, clean install, music from my phone in the car. Done.

SoarinZHP
01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Now I can say it. The DICE unit is one giant piece of shit. Having been down that road, I don't know how they continue making such horrible products. As far as longevity and integration are concerned, I loved my Intravee 2 setup. If you wanted to do that, you would have to procure an Alpine KCA-420i iPod controller (Ebay is a great place) and an Intravee unit. The Intravee is made in the United Kingdom. I had to have it shipped across the pond.

I haven't had one single issue with my unit. Superb browsing and control of the ipod from the unit (it locks the ipod controls), reliable and relatively easy to use.The only down side is that it doesn't charge your device without purchasing an adapter.. Haven't investigate this.

I bought a used 4th generation ipod nano, threw a fair amount of music on it and leave it in my trunk. Been in there for 3 days and still haven't had to recharge it...

Others with alternative iPod connectivity solutions please chime in to help our brother out...

Meric
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Home made AUX! :headbang:headbang Also free!

az3579
01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
The DICE is notorious for having lots and lots of problems. This is why I bought a Dension Gateway 300. Features wise it does all the same stuff as the DICE and does more than any other iPod integration kit I've seen. And it charges.

The problems with aux input are that 1) it doesn't charge, and 2) you have to use the device to select music, which is illegal in most states as far as I know (I think it qualifies as a handheld device). Plus it takes your eyes farther off the road if you have to look down at a device in your tray or wherever. Nobody thinks twice about someone changing a station on the radio, which is what it looks like when using an integration kit.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

zj96sc
01-05-2012, 09:43 AM
i pull up a pandora station, go for a premade playlist, or play a 1-2 hour long mix and never fool with it.

for everyone with an android phone it is a good option. for the apple fanfolk, i guess you can spring for a kit.

llll1l1ll
01-10-2012, 04:30 AM
I really don't listen much to music unless I'm on a long trip. I just use my iPhone and the AUX input. I put the iPhone on shuffle and if a song sucks, I just turn the volume down or very discreetly just hit the next button. I can do it without taking my eyes off the road.

At least I don't drive with earbuds in.